Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jordan7hm posted:

I know not everyone goes beyond their bookmarks (I usually don't), so just posting a link here to a thread I only found the other day which may interest some people.

Mac9k5 has posted the first couple issues of their black and white comic (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960770), and they recently also posted images from several of the pages. It's a black and white sci-fi adventure story that reminds me a lot of those 80s/90s indie b&w boom comics. Heavy on the duo-shade, monsters, flying machines, blood. No weird T&A. Pretty cool and deserving of more eyes on it.

Thanks for this, looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Clive Barker's Razorline Part 7

Things are starting to wrap up for the Razorline. I think around now is when they had confirmation that the axe was coming down since things feel like they're moving toward conclusions.

Ectokid #6 - It opens with frozen time rewinding itself as the art moves through the destruction and I find it impossible to not draw parallels with Wachowski's more famous work. Dex has met his father at the location that was arranged and while there he meets another pile of famous ghosts including James Dean and Janice Joplin. They're attacked by a troll loanshark who want's Dex's father's soul and a Mad Max style chase begins. It ends with the car exploding and everyone being blow to bits. Dex realizes he can just pull his ectoplasm back together, so he reconstitutes himself and heads back to the real world with instructions to find his father's corpse.

While I'm getting really sick of the famous dead person name dropping, Ectokid is remaining the most readable of these series. It's perfectly fine comics, though not something I'd say is a must read. Since the issue was all action, there isn't a whole lot going on with it. Not even a lot of emotion with the reunion.

Saint Sinner #6 - The art in this series has gone off a cliff. It's scratchy, poorly defined blobs now and I can't tell what's happening in the art at all. Phil is looking for his body so he can reunite with it before the demon can manage to kill it through neglect. Meanwhile, all of the demon's brothers are possessing a television producer and making him promote a televangelist. Phil reunites with his his body and then before he can return to his home pocket dimension which he's visited once in the series, he spots cops pursuing someone into a time slip that was created by Trip over in Hokum and Hex. A baby gets shot in the process, so Phil decides to take everybody to his pocket dimension.

I feel like this comic was supposed to be about the pull of morality and creepy stories about a guy whose interaction with your life was both a blessing and a curse. I haven't seen that at all and Phil isn't tempted or cajoled by the demon; it just keeps going "Let's rape and murder!" and the angel goes "Let's help that person!" and Phil always chooses to help.

Hyperkind #6 - Oh, god, they printed the issue sideways. Picking up from the previous issue of Hokum and Hex, Friday Night Live has just been attacked by supervillains. It's happening because the guy who has been covering up the existence of superpowers for decades "wants to make them look bad" on national television. The heroes are concerned that transforming themselves into superheroes in the place where they were going to transform themselves into superheroes five seconds later might reveal their secret identities and at this point I'm convinced that nobody is editing these comics.

Our villains are
  • Mammon with the power to freeze
  • Vigil who has a reality check beam that makes people just give up
  • Anarkee who destroys cause, effect, and spellcheckers
  • Quietus with the "touch of perversion and death" and frankly I don't want to know what that means
  • Slog who is the big, strong one
The comic is one very long, very poorly illustrated fight scene that there's no reason to even try to recap. In the end, the villains just leave because they're looking for the old superhero team. However, Quietus has used his touch of perversion and death to kill Armatta. Or at least pass her off to the next issue.

Hokum and Hex #6 - The storyline is Bloodshed, part one of four. Oh, and there's four issues left in the series.

Trip is back in New York after his time fighting supervillains in LA. Gorkill, the leader of the alien invaders, has been hanging out in his apartment for a week waiting to kill him. There's a brief fight and then they start debating the nature of free will. Meanwhile, 90's villain Bloodshed is out to get Trip and bounty hunter Wrath is smashing up a meeting of people who remember superheroes exist. Trip and Gorkill have come to a kind of détente and Gorkill gives Trip some space medicine to help Trip's friend who was injured in the previous attack. But then Gorkill tries to kill Trip anyway since all he's really been convinced of is that Trip is a decent enough guy that he deserves a quick death. And that's when Bloodshed attacks and wants to kill both of them.

This issue was actually a bit better than the previous ones mainly because he wasn't trying to be funny and managed to avoid coming across as being written by a real shithead. Maybe this will keep up for the rest of the series?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Clive Barker's Razorline Part 8

Hokum and Hex #7 - The cover promises me that Trip will die in this issue and there's no way I get that lucky.

We left off with veiny assassin Bloodshed attacking Trip and Gorkill in Trip's apartment, Bloodshed being an amblitory circulatory system map. Since Bloodshed wants to kill both of them, they set aside their animosity and Trip goes on a weird political rant that doesn't fit in the story at all. Their enemy reveals his weakness: he's a physical being. No, seriously, his weakness is he can be touched. Trip and Gorkill flee and once they've left the bounty hunter Wrath smashes in. She's burned to death by Bloodshed in a way that's really making me start to wonder what is this comic's thing with violence toward women. Trip and Gorkill come back after forming a plan and Bloodshed has left to go attack the hospital where they're operating on Trip's friend. One more fight scene ensues and Bloodshot reveals that they were a serial killer and killed Trip's mother before the evil god turned him into a being of vaguely defined superpowers. With that pointless revelation out of the way, Bloodshot fries Trip and Gorkill.

The next issue continues the fight so the cover did not live up to it's promise. Also, the letter column has a box announcing two more Razorline series: Mode Extreme and Wraithheart. Neither of these will be released.

This series continues to be the blandest of the bland with just a hint of creepy 90's rear end in a top hat writing. But it could be worse, it could be...

Hyperkind #7 - Armata is dead. Except she isn't, she's just a withered husk that's barely alive. Fortunately, Bliss just spouts a nursery rhyme about the previous super team and the follow the obvious clues in the nursery rhyme to reach a sanctuary, a super secret base is on a clear path in Griffith Park and behind a door that explodes if someone knocks on it wrong and somehow people haven't noticed it for forty years. Oh, and the rhyme reminds Bliss about how her father sexually abused her, so they just tossed that in for no good reason. At the sanctuary they meet a former member of the old superhero team and she helps them revive Bliss and everybody is happy. She also tells them all about the weaknesses of their powers which are pride, wrath, turning into a husk if you shoot too many bullets, and headaches.

I don't even get how any of this was supposed to work. A nursery rhyme that just comes back to Bliss when her friend is dying and it's apparently a well known nursery rhyme that's really easy to figure out what it's pointing to. As a story, this just gives me a headache.

Ectokid #7 - Dex is making a deal with the men who killed his father and kidnapped his mother to turn over the Macguffin they're looking for: a device that everyone thinks opens a door between ghostworld and the living world. The killers torture his mother by shaving her head and then putting her in a nun's habit and bondage gear. I'll give Wochowski this, she got the Clive Barker part down. The evil church that wants it gather to wait for news of the Macguffin; we hadn't been introduced to them yet but they're apparently the big villains. At the graveyard selected for the turnover, Dex arrived in ghost form. He tells the killers what they wanted to know, and then they're going to kill his mother anyway. Dex jumps inside his body and the two of them start fighting. The issue ends with a stand-off with the killer's left hand holding a gun to his own head and his right hand holding a gun to his mother's and me going, "If these books were this clever all the time, they wouldn't be completely forgotten."

Yeah, Ectokid continues to be the only one that's interesting and this issue was better than what we had been seeing before. I want to know where this is going now.

Saint Sinner #7 - I don't even know how to describe this one. We left off with Saint Sinner pulling a cab full of people to bring a baby who had been shot into his pocket universe to try to save its life. Instead of getting there, they wind up in a void reachable by people who are half dead. According to the ghost of a girl who is there and has a hoop that connects worlds, everyone in the cab is half dead but a lot of them are real stretches (being upset over your kid being shot is not "half dead"). Then the baby gets snatched up by someone who is all dead. Sinner is too alive to follow, so Sinner regresses the drug dealer who shot the baby back to infancy, then they send a kid with cancer who happened to be in the cab after the kidnapped baby with the drug dealer baby. The kid gets the shot baby back, so Sinner heals his cancer. Then they go back to the real world and just drive to a hospital.

Finally, there's a one page epilogue telling us that Saint Sinner was cool but now it's over. The letter column mentions the book as being a victim of "the glut of '93". And that's it, the comic is canceled.

This one had promise at the start when it looked like it would be kind of Twilight Zone-ish. Then they spent four issues on an origin story that didn't matter, was packed with unreadable dialogue, lost the kind of interesting art, and was just a trainwreck. I don't know if being incomprehensible makes it better or worse than some of these other books, though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/RobertSkvarla/status/1448816158807838720?t=Qn90BBKVkldEuyxFqGE8dA&s=19

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This is probably something for old heads, but the other day I was reading some 90s indie comic and I thought "is this Janice Chiang lettering under another name?" and it wasn't, but that question did lead me to this interview with her, which is good: https://cartoonflophouse.blogspot.com/2012/04/janice-chiang-woman-of-letters.html

spoiler: it turns out a lot of people copied her style, which before reading this I didn't know was a thing but makes total sense.

She was always one of my favorite letterers growing up (I seem to remember Mark Gruenwald having said he liked her because of how many words she could pack into a balloon) and this interview only made me like her all the more. Letterers are often unsung talents, but they truly make or break a reading experience for me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hey anybody heard from rhyno recently? just occurred to me that he hasn't posted in a month

you still out there dude? doin alright??

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

site posted:

hey anybody heard from rhyno recently? just occurred to me that he hasn't posted in a month

you still out there dude? doin alright??

He made a post in the car subforum that made it pretty clear that he was going through some rough stuff and hasn't posted since. None of the mods have been able to contact him either. I hope he's doing OK. :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Clive Barker's Razorline Part 9

I'm down to three series and things are starting to wrap up.

Ectokid #8 - I'm letting myself start with the one book here that I'm enjoying.

We left off with Dex shooting his spirit into a killer who was holding a gun on his mother. Dex can't stay there, though, so his soul oozes back out. He left part of himself behind in the assassin, though, so the killer can't bring himself to shoot Dex's mother. Dex took a part of the assassin into his soul as well. Fortunately, his mother already knows how to handle spirits since she summoned Dex's father and made a half-ghost baby. At her lair, she pulls the bit off the assassin out of Dex and departs to prepare. Then the assassin shows up since he can now sense Dex and the two briefly fight. That's when Dex's mother comes back in psychic form looking like an angel and effortlessly beats down the assassin so Dex can recover his soul piece. Then she lets herself get shot. The killer escapes, mother and son immediately reunite, and Dex's mom heads off to ghost world intending to track down his father while Dex is out for revenge.

Yeah, this book remains pretty solid. This is the kind of thing I want from a book all about a ghost adventurer. I'm actually disappointed it will end next issue.

Hyperkind #8 - Okay, I had my fun. Now it's time for the two nearly unreadable books.

In this 22 page comic, 2 pages are about our main characters, 1 page is a cliffhanger where the woman they met last issue is being threatened by a totally new villain, and the remaining 19 are all about former superhero Tempest. She was disintegrated by her own teammate in 1963 and he soul got merged into a gestalt being inside the computer at the Hyperkind base. She breaks out now, reconstitutes herself without memories, and wanders LA for a bit and having flashbacks. Eventually she's locked up by one of the people erasing the public's memories of superheroes and she's freed by the zaniaks who are monsters created by attempt at making new superheroes. Then she desides to attack our heroes.

So the second to last issue and they spent it on exposition and nothing happening.

Hokum & Hex #8 - Instead of dying when he was cooked by the villain last issue, Trip and Gorkill wind up in a virtual space created by the unused 90% of people's brains. Yeah. Anyway, it's the standard "tour of the subconscious" plot only we learn absolutely nothing new about Trip as he finds the will to live and fight back. Seriously, it's all backstory that's we've already received. Eventually there's a joke that definitely is not a joke and it makes Trip laugh and that was enough to revive him to go back and kill Bloodshed, the thing he fought that killed him.

The closest thing that this issue gets to being clever is having Trip appear as a bad pencil sketch when he's going through some childhood stuff. It doesn't last or matter at all, though. And that's the best way to sum up this comic. It did try to remind me a lot that he's supposed to be a stand-up comedian even though this series has never had a joke in it.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Looks like it's happening after all.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1453067640998711297

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Huh, I thought the Dead Girl miniseries established that the members of X-Statix were 100% trapped in hell forever

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Man I really like that art, I wonder if the artist had done anything else

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cliver Barker's Razorline Part 10

Ah, the final issues of these series. I get the impression that there's not going to be closure on any of them, but I guess we'll find out.

Hokum & Hex #9 - Trip decides to fight the supervillain Bloodshed in the mindscape that links all of humanity. None of his attacks affect the walking circulatory system but I'm told that everything happening is very symbolic (it's not). In the real world, former enemy Gorkill is performing CPR on Trip to revive him and fighting with the real Bloodshed. The guy who acted as Trip's spiritual advisor and been totally irrelevant to the stories past the first issue or two receives a summons to cosmic court and gets snatched away. After talking with his dying friend, Trip realizes the way to be beat Bloodshed is to get to know the serial killer that was inside him. Pulling out his multiple personalities, Trip learns that Bloodshed was abused as a child and that explains everything. Bloodshed can't stand someone knowing his dark secret and tries to swallow Trip's soul but since Trip wasn't dead yet, Bloodshed eats himself. The end.

This has been the worst one of the three series. It's nonsense like Hyperkind, but it's also trying to be funny and it really is not. It feels like the writer thinks he's a lot smarter than he actually is, particularly with these last two mindscape issues with a lot of imagery that's supposed to make you go, "Whoa!" and instead makes me go, "This is stupid."

Hyperkind #9 - Boy, this series has been spinning up a lot of plot threads. Just plot thread on top of plot thread. Well, I'm sure the dozens of these that are waiting to be resolved will be handled in the next 22 pages.

You know, right off the bat, "But you were killed decades ago!" is a stupid thing to say to a villain named "Lazurex". Who could have possibly foreseen that Lazurex could come back from the dead! Nobody, that's who! Lazurex the Robot Master was one of the old superteam's villains and he was in love with Logica the computer woman. She would give up her power and become the old woman at the citadel from a few issues ago. The heroes beat him by tricking him into french kissing a robot. Seriously.

Our new Hyperkind are off in LA getting their supercar tagged and one of them says, "Why would they destroy something like this?" which I guess tells you the mindset of the writer. They know Logica is in trouble somehow (there's a lot of "they know something somehow" in this story) and head back to the citadel. In the fight with Lazurex, Logix goes into his cyborg brain and gets stuck. The only way to pull him out is to use the cosmic awareness power which someone took. They go to Venice Beach to find the holder of it and it turns out it's a dog who somehow operated the space tech capsule that turns people into superheroes. The furry takes Logix out of Lazurex's head and then they kill him again. The end.

So, they managed to resolve one of the many storylines they started up and walked away from. The question for me here is how could there be nine issues of this comic and nothing happens? I mean, there were some fights but those didn't matter. What I got was a shitton of exposition and vaguely ominous threats. Cliched characters and the most 90's naming conventions ever were just icing on the cake.

Ectokid #9 - No resolutions here, either. Ectokid ends on what would be a filler issue.

Dex is woken up by a knock on his door. It's a woman in skintight PVC mourning garb and her dead husband has sent her to find him. She also has a jealous ex-boyfriend who threatens Dex and in a flashforward is going to shoot him. At the woman's place, he holds simultaneous conversations with her and the husband. He died by suicide when she was having an affair and her dreams of his death and keeping the bullet are inflicting spiritual harm on him. With their emotional catharsis reached, Dex and the woman go out for a drink where he ex-boyfriend bursts in and starts shooting. She pushes Dex out of the way and dies and Dex has to go on.

It's a simple story, but it's really well told and I think that's Ectokid in a nutshell. If you were to read any of these comics, Ectokid is the one to check out.

So that's the end of the series, but it's not the end of the story. About a year later there were two one shots for Ectokid and Hyperkind which might give them some kind of conclusion. I guess we'll find out!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

Huh, I thought the Dead Girl miniseries established that the members of X-Statix were 100% trapped in hell forever

Krakoa ressurections somehow bypass the afterlife. That's been established as canon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

Krakoa ressurections somehow bypass the afterlife. That's been established as canon.

I'm satisfied with that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Plus from a Doylist perspective trying to establish something as 100% irreversibly permanent is just asking for someone to metaphorically(and possibly literally) flip you off and undo it out of spite

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
death means nothing in the marvel u unless the ff goes to jack kirby's house to rescue you and he tells them no

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Counterpoint: Doop.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Halloween night, time to close out my reading of the master of horror's personal comic book line.

Clive Barker's Razorline Part 11

Hyperkind Unleashed #1 - The Hyperkind are in an alley fighting a generic street gang and Amokk happens to know one of the people there. They also find out that Bliss's boss at the strip club is behind the LA drug trade. One of the gang members dies in the crossfire and Armata has decided she wants to give up her powers. In their origin, the lizardman they fought wanted to take their powers back and use them elsewhere and they've since found out that the lizardman was the rightful owner of the powers and was handing them out for planetary defense.

At the sanctuary with the former superhero, they learn that there's a space war going on right now and they don't have any superpowered people to help them. The team is divided on whether or not to give the powers back or keep them to protect the earth, but they decide to confront the lizardman anyway. After going to a monastery, through a portal, up a mountain, and to a different temple, they meet the lizardman and have another fight. This time they easily beat him and find out his tragic origin: he was tortured by his own people and sent out in the universe to give powers out in order to maintain a status quo of constant war.

Nobody is satisfied with that answer so they go back to where they first got powers and plug themselves into the computer in order to chat with the spirit of the guy who gave the powers to them. Turns out he's a human supremacist who wants to make earth great again. He tries to steal the powers back but the Hyperkind do something, get snazzy new costumes, and destroy the equipment that could have given the powers back to the lizardman on their way out. Since they want to give the powers back, they agree to go with the lizardman back to his home planet, but the cosmically aware dog kicks the spaceship on their way out and it drops them off in the space warzone. To be continued... never. Because this is the last time anyone will ever do anything with these characters.

There's a lot crammed into this one and I think it's basically three or four issues worth of scripts chopped up and shoved into the comic. I say that because the flow of the scenes and dialog often make no sense. There's also the problem that it's still spinning subplots around like there will be future issues.

Hyperkind was the most generic, bland superhero team I could imagine. It might as well have been an Image book. None of the characters were interesting, all of their abilities were so poorly defined they might as well have been able to do anything, and they spent all of their time arguing with each other rather than developing interesting plots. It was a comic that kept having big plot revelations and then not actually doing anything with them. There's a guy who's mind controlled everyone into forgetting superheroes and... what? Why not fly around the city waving at people or conjuring illusions? There's a secret resistance that's freeing people's minds and... nothing. They just sit there providing exposition from time to time. There was an alien invasion in the middle of World War I and there isn't secret alien tech floating around or any consequences of that at all. This was a nothing comic, a vacant hole where a comic should have been. And that's worse than being truly awful because if a year from now you ask me what Hyperkind was about, I will have no clue.

Ectokid Unleashed #1 - The best written of these comics does not have Lana Wachowski here to wrap up its story. On the other hand, it does have Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning so maybe it'll turn out to be good.

The assassin that killed Dex's father have recovered the McGuffin that was shoved into a swamp with his corpse and it's an eight foot tall electronic apparatus that can open a door between the worlds of the living and the dead. The evil conspiracy who only showed up in the final issue of the series need Dex's father to operate it, so they kill the assassin so that he can go search the afterlife for him.

First the assassin goes after Dex and says that getting killed like that made me change sides. He wants Dex's help rescuing his father and then everybody will go after the conspiracy together. Dex's dad was abducted several issues ago by a ghost mobster and the two rescuers head to his castle. On the way, the assassin gives some backstory: Dex's father was a member of the conspiracy and only had Dex, the half-living/half-ghost baby, because he was trying to make a body that he could use.

They reach the cell and naturally it was a trick. The assassin abducts the dad and Dex has to fight an army of ghost mobsters. He tries to escape back to the living world but it doesn't work because something has happened to his body. He's saved by the timely intervention of the etherites, the creepy silent black figures that rule over the ghost world. They've brought his mother who explains that his father was a piece of poo poo but changed after they had Dex. Then the etherites power Dex up so he has a chance of stopping the conspiracy.

Out on the conspiracy's oil rig, Dex's father opens the gate and it turns one of the conspiracy guys into a demon that starts killing people. Dex arrives and fights off the living and dead assassin along with the demon long enough that the gate could be closed again. With that done, the etherites take his dad away for an eternal reward with his mother. But they have another job for Dex. To be continued... or not.

Sadly, not as good as the previous comics have been. Not as incoherent as Hyperkind, but it was definitely a "Let's wrap up all of the major plot threads quick" comic.

Ectokid was a bit unstable but it always had the best talent of all of the Razorline attached to it and it was actually decent. Not something people have to read, but it was enjoyable which is more than I can say for the rest of the Razorline.

Thus passes Clive Barker's comic book line. It come in with foil embossed covers and died as a result of being an obvious thing to cut. It's definitely a product of the boom era when Marvel was just trying to flood the shelves and push everybody else out. Conceptually, I don't think there was anything wrong with any of the books; there was nothing preventing Hokum and Hex from being a good comic except it was written like dogshit. I also don't think that better writing and art could have saved these comics since they died as the boom died. It's just that they could have been good.

I kind of wonder if Marvel still owns the characters. Not that I think anyone is clamoring for the return of Ectokid; I just was wondering if he could be used again.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m clamoring for a Ectokid and Bats, or Dead Girl, team up. Though, I feel like Clive Barker probably has some sort of stake in the Razorline characters.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
long overdue, hope this effort is successful (thread)

https://twitter.com/cbwupdx/status/1455189356684009476

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Note that this doesn't include creators as the only ones who work for Image are in management.

(Still good though!)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

But Image already has a Union? :confused:

(Just kidding, of course. Glad to hear the news!)

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 1, 2021

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Good for them! I hope it spreads.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m going though my unread stack (multiple shelves) of graphic novels. Read Good Talk by Mira Jacobs today. It was really good, made me sad, laugh, be hopeful for some things and mad about others. Would recommend.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Thumbs up for the post halloween name change

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Any interest in a BSS secret santa this year? Just setting up one for the thread I do them for, and it looks like last one here I ran in 2017. As I recall we only had about 4 people sign up, too. If there's enough interest I'm happy to set it up

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Someone with a Deadpool Avatar on twitter is trying to give Gail Simone poo poo for liking SJW movie The Eternals.

https://twitter.com/StrivingAlly/status/1457505027187109890?t=HKPKVyOWcyjeBguLIFmCVA&s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

God all of this feels so tired. None of the fights over mediocre woke blockbusters have ever been sites of sparkling debate or energetic ideology, but this one just feels like people going through the motions.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Someone with a Deadpool Avatar on twitter is trying to give Gail Simone poo poo for liking SJW movie The Eternals.

https://twitter.com/StrivingAlly/status/1457505027187109890?t=HKPKVyOWcyjeBguLIFmCVA&s=19

Wait, when did she get namedropped in the film?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Wait, when did she get namedropped in the film?

Looking at an Easter Egg guide, in 2 he introduces himself as Gail to some bad guys, and there's a scene where he's riding a Vespa after his car gets wrecked, which occurred in Her run (though I wouldn't be surprised if there's scenes of Deadpool on a Vespa in several runs. In the first movie there's a waitress named Gail.

Given there's similar stuff for a bunch of other Deadpool writers and artists and Ryan Reynolds has met Gail Simone several times, I'm inclined to believe these are intentional, not coincidences.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lowtax died.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vincent posted:

Lowtax died.

We're not doing that here in BSS. If you want to discuss that take it elsewhere.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My brother produces music mashups as a hobby, and after I brought to his attention the fact that Whitney Houston's "I'm Your Baby Tonight" sounds a lot like the '90s X-Men catoon theme, he dashed off this brilliant mashup of the two:

https://soundcloud.com/lwbuilder/youre-giving-me-x-tasy

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My brother produces music mashups as a hobby, and after I brought to his attention the fact that Whitney Houston's "I'm Your Baby Tonight" sounds a lot like the '90s X-Men catoon theme, he dashed off this brilliant mashup of the two:

https://soundcloud.com/lwbuilder/youre-giving-me-x-tasy

This is outrageously good.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

This is outrageously good.

Thank you! He has a whole page of mashups. Some are better than others, but he always comes up with interesting themes and connections between songs that nobody else would ever think of.

https://soundcloud.com/lwbuilder

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had any updates from Rhyno?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Soonmot posted:

This is still the most recent info we have, I'm afraid (unless he has personally contacted someone since):

JordanKai posted:

He made a post in the car subforum that made it pretty clear that he was going through some rough stuff and hasn't posted since. None of the mods have been able to contact him either. I hope he's doing OK. :(

We know he's alive, thankfully. But that's about it.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 13, 2021

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Soonmot posted:

JordanKai posted:

This is still the most recent info we have, I'm afraid (unless he has personally contacted someone since):

We know he's alive, thankfully. But that's about it.

I just chatted with him briefly on Facebook Messenger. He is definitely going through some serious personal poo poo, but he's okay at the moment, and it sounds like he will be even more okay with time. He told me he's off social media and may or may not return to SA, but I made sure to tell him that people here care about him and have been concerned.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
drat. well, good to hear he's alive at least. thanks for getting in touch with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just chatted with him briefly on Facebook Messenger. He is definitely going through some serious personal poo poo, but he's okay at the moment, and it sounds like he will be even more okay with time. He told me he's off social media and may or may not return to SA, but I made sure to tell him that people here care about him and have been concerned.

Thanks a lot for posting this,. It sounds bad but it was easy to imagine worse, and its really good to hear things might be getting better.
Good luck to him, good luck to everyone.