Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Grey Hunter posted:

All good ideas - the X could be related to what your paying, so pay say 2 Guineas per card.

Luck of the draw vs strategic play vs bidding. I don't want any 100% terrible officers, but there should be a mix between getting cash and getting good officers. then the prince of Orange example, where they are really powerful in someways, but a risk.

And there should be 100% a way of making other officers weaker, what we need to avoid is the euro problem where everyone is off playing their own game, we want backstabbing, we want character, we want everyone to groan when the failson survives the folorn hope and gets himself promoted....

Agreed. I imagine that two big ways to get involved with the opponent could be through threat cards and negative traits.

Or you could turn it around: the opponents are the ones who give you missions (simulating orders coming down from high command). That way you'll constantly finding yourself being asked to do things you don't want to. I think that could be way more fun than if you choose missions yourself, and also fit the theme a lot more, the theme being working within an organization that is built to restrict your freedom of choice. It'd also be a way to get out of the Euro-game single player situation you mention.

Missions could be different in wartime and peace-time (either on the same card, or two types of cards).

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I still love the idea of finding ways to get officers you don't like killed

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
Re: mission assignment
We could split the difference by having each player atrempt an assignment from the available missions bar, then add a new one to fill that spot from their hand// the deck. That way, you can put a big pain in the butt task on the stack and someone will have to deal with it eventually, or put jobs you're especially skilled at into play and hope to wheel it the next round. Perhaps a bonus for taking the oldest mission available, or a penalty for not? A bonus for blindly taking orders at random (portrayed as pandering to your superiors)?

This also means that at the dawn of hostilities, some commanders will be performing a pitched river crossing under cannon fire while others are still trying to seduce a countess. Though "peace declared" should probably shuffle the conflict cards away.. Perhaps there are still some lower intensity military actions in the Peace side of the deck, and some lower intensity schmoozing and glad-handing in the War side?

I don't think we should have such as a war success tracker that individual successful clashes progress. The fate of nations is above our characters' pay grades!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I like that, - I hadn't thought about peacetime missions, but it makes sense and stops the peacetime side being the dull side. We would have to have a way of controlling who picks first - for now I'm going with lowest prestige first, to give the player doing the worst chance to catch up.

If anyone wants to start typing up card ideas, here is a google docs, I'll add some in when I have time.

We need to decide some basic value ranges for these things - that'll probably change many times, but having some numbers to start with sounds like a good idea.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QEt0gsrphmQZZnOBZMUEegiruEoEarTHYw7HUl6KaO4/edit?usp=sharing

Another thought, tokens could be a good way to cover changing troops - you could have

Conscript +1,
Green +2
Regular+3,
Veteran +4,
Elite +5

Something similar for morale. then when you train a unit, or it takes damage, you switch out the token for the new one.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 30, 2021

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

I like that, - I hadn't thought about peacetime missions, but it makes sense and stops the peacetime side being the dull side. We would have to have a way of controlling who picks first - for now I'm going with lowest prestige first, to give the player doing the worst chance to catch up.

Kingdomino (a game I end up playing a lot with my nephews and nieces) might be a kid's game, but it has a very good system for picking cards in order. It's a game using small cards that are shaped like dominos, and the game is about building a good map with dominos, scoring points depending on what's on the cards.

Basically every card has a value in addition to its effects, that's kind of a measure of how useful the card is. In a four player game, every turn you'd draw four cards, placing them in order from highest to lowest value (so better cards are ranked higher). Players take turn choosing the card they want, placing a meeple on the card. Then the twist is that before taking the cards, you draw the next four cards. Now, the player with their meeple on the lowest ranked card gets to take that card, and then choose which next card to take. This goes on, so you're always choosing between taking the card you want or taking a supposedly worse card to get higher priority in the next draw. The strategy comes in deciding which cards are worth it for you to sacrifice future initiative for, or if they are good enough for your opponent that you want to snatch it from them.

It's a very fun system IMHO and it's very simple, yet becomes a steady focus along the entire playthrough. You could have a mission phase where each player gets to choose a mission, drawing the missions from the war chest or the peace chest, and then try to resolve them during the turn. Then next turn you draw new missions, and so on.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 30, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd lean towards making your character its own card, and your "force" a pile of face-down complication cards. As you take casualties, you flip a force card over and some OTHER effect happens as well - maybe you lose favor in London, were portraited wearing the wrong cummerbund, or someone important's nephew was in the slain unit.

Basically your fortune would be abstractly tied to your regiment.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I like the 'opponents get a say in what mission gets done' to promote freewheeling, up to and including sacrificing money, prestige, or competent subordinates to avoid particularly undesirable ones.

I didn't see anything on ways to advance yet, what's the groupthink on that? Buying rank, earning glory, cashing in favors could allow for promotions or demotions for self and others. Varying ranks could have both perks and drawbacks, so things might not always work out as intended. Running a bigger formation may mean more opportunities for glory and tribute, but worse combat stats from being in the rear (which might be ok if one wants to get Smitty killed...)

Is the other battalion CO better at fighting than you? Dutch Admiral pact him out of his social league and hope he's not buddies with the Duke. Not the coolest colonel in the castle? Sabotage another one so he gets sent down to battalion. Maybe the complication card kills off someone's boss and they have to unexpectedly step up, or some earl takes their job as a patronage. All of the above seem to fit in the general theme.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 3, 2021

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Is this still going to become A Thing? :ohdear:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

Is this still going to become A Thing? :ohdear:

hopefully! I've been short on time recently, but I've not forgotten!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

hopefully! I've been short on time recently, but I've not forgotten!

Yeah I'm having a hell of a deadline period until november, but after that I'm pretty interested in starting to make some simple token cards just have something to work with. I find it easier to adjust an existing physical frame than to just work with everything abstractly in my head.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, getting some cards down was my next "job" - so many things don't work until you get to prototype phase, then you can chuck your ideas at the wall and see what sticks.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I've added in a few cards - mainly missions.

I've trying to balance missions that are high risk/high reward with ones that will keep your force intact. I've also added some officers and other cards.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QEt0gsrphmQZZnOBZMUEegiruEoEarTHYw7HUl6KaO4/edit#gid=0

What do people think so far?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

I've added in a few cards - mainly missions.

I've trying to balance missions that are high risk/high reward with ones that will keep your force intact. I've also added some officers and other cards.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QEt0gsrphmQZZnOBZMUEegiruEoEarTHYw7HUl6KaO4/edit#gid=0

What do people think so far?

Looks cool! I’ll start adding some enemy card ideas this weekend, going from malnourished raw recruits to imperial guard

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I feel like there needs to be a card for the 19th century version of "loving around..." and "...finding out".

Napoleon Declares Peace but wants War

The 1st, 2nd and 3rd in command are no longer on the field. YOU are the hero?!

Seniority.

You won the battle and someone else takes credit.

You lost the battle but got to the newspapers first so won the battle.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Comstar posted:

I feel like there needs to be a card for the 19th century version of "loving around..." and "...finding out".

Napoleon Declares Peace but wants War

The 1st, 2nd and 3rd in command are no longer on the field. YOU are the hero?!

Seniority.

You won the battle and someone else takes credit.

You lost the battle but got to the newspapers first so won the battle.

These all sound like good examples of "strategy" cards (Better name pending). These will include things like "Sniper" to try and take out enemy officers an "Three rounds a minute!" to boost your troops.
I'm still not sure if people should get these cards as a draw at the start of their turn, or have to purchase them, but they are the main way I can see of forming player interaction.

For battles, I think the players should all be part of the same battle, and the battle will be won, lost or drawn depending on how the majority of players do - so if most people complete their missions, then they win, and visa versa.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

"strategy" cards (Better name pending)

Stratagem cards, for that slightly-fancier-than-average flavour? :v:
It's a good question though...not sure what a good name would be. Gambit cards? Edict/Decree cards? I dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Gambit cards is a good one.