Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ryoma must T-Pose to assert dominance

RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I've never once done this map the "intended" way. gently caress this map. Your LP makes it look easy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I usually prefer the left side of the map; the Lunge traps are annoying, but it is possible to tank through them, and someone like Benny or Keaton could reasonably turtle their way through; their low movement doesn't hamper them much here. The right side on the other hand is just kinda hellish unless you've built a Bow Knight ahead of time, and even then they'd get whittled down without some help.

What's interesting in the BR version of this map (where you fight Xander) is that Laslow can actually die, making him the only Awakening kid that you can straight up kill. Selena can die while under the player's control (and since she's a girl she actually dies, while fathers 'live' for their kid's paralogue), making Odin the only Awakening kid that will always live through Fates.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That’s the power of Odin Dark.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

No new supports at all... I guess everybody was too busy fighting for their lives to make friends. I thought life or death situations were supposed to forge lifelong bonds!

Elise is so much higher level than Arthur that she shreds all his opponents in the arena. Look at him cheering for his wife!

I really need to offload some of these gold bars. I want a small amount in reserve to use for Spendthrift, but I certainly do not need all 20 of them. With my profits from last chapter and the cash injection from these I shall buy an admittedly wasteful Spirit Dust to cap Ophelia's magic, as well as a Partner Seal to put Corrin in her final class of Paladin.

She goes from capped speed to capped strength. I have a Speedwing spare, if she doesn't get one last point of speed I'll use it on her.

Also I should swap skills while I remember. Nina no longer needs Aptitude thanks to being level 20. Her skill slots are very cramped, it's nice to be able to free one up.

I have complained about Silas's bulk a lot but honestly, he's been tanking okay as of late. Seeing how Corrin's going to be instrumental in fighting two very tough bosses I think it's fair to give her this instead of him.

I'm not used to seeing this many capped stats... I guess I've been pretty lucky this playthrough! And I've also been forcing myself to use my boosters. Time for none of these stats to matter as Staff Savant ruins my day 10 times over.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The trick about Iago is that he uses his staves in order, so you need to keep that in mind and scatter or silence him when it’s Hexing time.

womanonthevergeof
Oct 1, 2021
I'm honestly pretty impressed by the exciting new ways Conquest finds to continually screw a player over. It's sort of wonderful in a "thank God I gave up on this game a while back" (yes, even on Casual mode...) sort of way!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
This is sort of reminding me why I couldn't keep going in late Conquest. Too many impossible skill combinations that are specifically not fun to deal with.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

theshim posted:

I've never once done this map the "intended" way. gently caress this map. Your LP makes it look easy.
It's nice to hear I made it look easy. It was not easy, much tryhard sweating and double-checking the wiki was involved.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I usually prefer the left side of the map; the Lunge traps are annoying, but it is possible to tank through them, and someone like Benny or Keaton could reasonably turtle their way through; their low movement doesn't hamper them much here. The right side on the other hand is just kinda hellish unless you've built a Bow Knight ahead of time, and even then they'd get whittled down without some help.

What's interesting in the BR version of this map (where you fight Xander) is that Laslow can actually die, making him the only Awakening kid that you can straight up kill. Selena can die while under the player's control (and since she's a girl she actually dies, while fathers 'live' for their kid's paralogue), making Odin the only Awakening kid that will always live through Fates.
I feel as if that point of Birthright should have been when Laslow went "yeah gently caress this" and bailed back to his home world, assuming he could even do that on his own.

Bogart posted:

The trick about Iago is that he uses his staves in order, so you need to keep that in mind and scatter or silence him when it’s Hexing time.
Yep. I'm geuinely surprised the game itself never tells you this, Conquest is usually good at being very transparent with how map gimmicks work up front. I guess it's not too hard to work it out on your own?

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

It's treason, then. Time to finally do what was advertised as the goal of this route and change Nohr from the inside...

This seems like an obvious setup for Anankos to tell Garon "hey don't sit on that throne, it's a trap!". Iirc it was literally a gift from him to the Hoshidan royal family, although he might have gone so mad by this point that he's forgotten he ever gave it. All it is in practice is an excuse to stall the final confrontation for one more chapter.

Iago has been asking for this all game. Whether or not you're actually invested in this path's stupid plot, the chance to finally shut him up forever is very satisfying.

I don't even think Garon would care if you killed this guy right in front of him. He certainly doesn't care when he dies in the other two routes...

Hoshido may have fallen, but it's not the endgame just yet. There's a lot going on in this chapter so just like the last one I'll split it into two parts. Somehow in between us threatening Iago and us fighting him he managed to find a throne and put many rooms and enemies in our way.

There are two paths to the boss, one on the left and one on the right. Normally I would show off both paths, but I have never managed to beat the left path on Lunatic. I have no idea how you are even supposed to.

Staff Savant is an enemy only skill that increases the range of all staves to 1-10 tiles away from the user, and prevents their durability from lowering, effectively giving the user infinite staff uses. Standing on the edge of a staff user's range and hitting end turn until all their uses are gone won't work any more... Iago has this skill on all difficulties, but only in Lunatic is he also packing a Hexing Rod. If you don't pay attention you could get your entire army hexed, and that would be bad!

The reason why this one guy with super high magic and a staff range that covers half the entire map is not completely undefeatable is because he'll cycle through each staff in order rather than using whichever one he pleases. So he'll start with Enfeeble and finish with Hexing Rod, and then start his cycle again. I'm pretty sure this cycle goes by uses and not by turn number, but I could be wrong. If you're unsure or you've forgotten which one he last used, you can always stick a fodder unit like Azura in his range who won't care about getting her stats lowered or whatever.

He's also packing the S rank tome Excalibur. High crit rate + capped magic is not fun, but at least they didn't give this guy Vengeance. You'll want your highest res unit or someone with Tomebreaker to fight him. Weapon triangle advantage will also strip away all the power and accuracy boosts his capped weapon rank will give him.

And yeah Sorcerers cannot use staves normally and this guy is totally cheating. I always assumed Staff Savant gave any unit that has it staff access, but he does have a staff rank in Birthright and Revelation too.

Hans is also here, and he's hanging just outside the throne room. This guy is one of the 2 enemies you want at least 2 uses of Entrap saved for. There's a very small section of the eastern corridor where a unit can use Entrap to grab him, allowing you to fight him in an empty room instead of a big mosh pit full of horrible enemies. Engaging him in combat spawns reinforcements from the central room, but this is actually good - if you grab Hans early they won't spawn on top of you, and their aggressive AI will make them run to the edge of the room to attack you through the doors, allowing you to pick them off from relative safety.

His skills are... yeah. Armoured Blow, Death Blow, Certain Blow, Counter, Countermagic... He also has 64 attack and a crit rate of 38! Entrap makes him trivial to deal with, but this feels a bit too much like ROM hack difficulty otherwise. At least all of his stats beside strength and speed and HP are bad? The only way to soften him up for the kill without getting hit by his counter skills is to attack him at range with physical weapons, but if you've got Xander or any good bow or knife user that won't be too difficult.

Iago's two General friends will also move the moment you aggro him. Letting them chuck Spears at you through the door is by far the safest way to fight them, just watch out for Countermagic.

The throne room also contains 2 Maids with Freeze and Staff Savant. Every enemy in this map has Staff Savant on Lunatic.

There's even a Maid with Entrap here to mess you up if you go too far to the left! If you approach the boss room from the left you can defeat her before arriving there, but you are probably not approaching the boss room from the left. Watch out for her or else you might have a weakened unit get frozen and dumped alone in a room with an angry Faceless.

Otherwise this room is a clusterfuck of horrible Generals and Berserkers. None of them besides the reinforcements or Hans's posse will move until you enter the room they're in, so there's no luring them through the doors. These two in the middle both have Inspiration...

All the Generals on the right have Beast Killers, and all the Berserkers on the left have Hammers, limiting who you can use to tank the enemies in this room. Surviving this onslaught involves either setting up a defensive chokepoint at the doors and very very slowly whittling down all the approaching enemies, or using a combo of Azura's dance, Shelter, and the Rescue staff to blitz through and seize all on the same turn.

Basically this room is what Xander was made for. As a Hero he won't take damage from any effective weapon, but even as a Paladin with his HP cut in half with a hex he can tank Beast Killers if you stack enough boosts on him. Otherwise you'll want units like Camilla or Beruka or maybe a particularly blessed Corrin on the front lines. You might be able to Nostank your way through it too, just watch out for Silence from Iago.

But before you can even reach this room you've got to muscle your way through the rest of the map. The first thing you'll encounter is a locked door, behind which are waiting this Hexing Rod Maid and a whole load of Heroes. Taking out this Maid turn 1 is vital, but be warned that she is in range of Iago and whoever attacks her will get slapped with some form of status.

Taking out all these Heroes on turn 1 is impractical, but you should try to clean up as many as possible. Most of them have Wyrmslayers and ranged weapons, and a few of them have Counter too. Xander and bulky units like Benny and Keaton will be useful. Corrin and Camilla might be able to take a single hit from a Wyrmslayer, but probably not more than that!

Oh and don't go too far to the right or you'll get grabbed by her. The unit who gets snagged will be in range of a couple of Sorcerers, but they will also be whisked far away from the fight and unable to help the others until they get back.

Reinforcements will spawn from these stairs once you break down the door. Two consecutive waves will also spawn from stairs lower down in this room after you open the door to Hans's room from the east side, so be sure to cover them up.

None of the units in this room will attack until you open the door, at which point they'll all pile on you. Conquest gives you plenty of units who can deal with mages, so rally one of them up and send them in to take them all out. Whoever opens the door will also be in range of Iago so you'll have to watch out for him.

The sorcs themselves carry a horrible mix of various tomes, but honestly without any skills like Poison Strike or Seal Resistance they're not so hard to deal with. Kaze or a Tomebreaker servant shouldn't have too much trouble, and if you've got a few mage killers you can have them rush in after the door is opened to take out the most troublesome attackers before they can act.

The left side of the map is a big horrible pile of monsters. Anybody who dares approach will be pummeled to death by long-range Stoneborn, and a mix of Faceless all with stat sealing and damage dealing skills. The way you deal with all this is... don't? I really don't know what they expect you do counter this with. Even Xander's going to get pummeled to death very quickly.

The one suggestion I have seen is to use Keaton's Grisly Wound skill to goad the Stoneborn into attacking you without having to open the door. After enough attacks they'll be at 1 HP, at which point you can send in Flora who can finish them off with Icy Blood. All of this can be done without entering the room and aggroing the enemies inside. I've never actually tried this.

Oh and this Maid with Entrap will also mess up whatever you're planning. If you really want to rout the left side it's best to approach from the south instead - breaking down the door from this side will aggro all the enemies and make them start busting down doors themselves, ruining their fortified position and letting you bait them one by one. The Stoneborn don't move fast so with enough running you can put a lot of distance between them and the Faceless to pick them off.

Your reward for putting up with all that horrible bullshit is a Spy's Yumi! Or a Spy's Shuriken if Kaze has a B rank in knives. Would have been useful last chapter, is not worth getting now. Don't bother unless you really want it.

The right side has a Venge Naginata, a Hoshidan lance that deals extra damage on counterattacks. It's alright I guess.

The middle has 20,000 gold, a Seraph Robe, and Bifrost, a one-use S rank staff that can bring back a fallen ally, but only if they died in the map you use it on. Once you've defeated Iago you'll have all the time you need to grab these.

It is possible to change difficulty between chapters in Conquest and there's no shame in doing that here. Hard mode is mostly the same but with less reinforcements, no Hexing Rod, and no Staff Savant on all the generic Maids. Normal mode is a lot nicer but still complicated enough to be challenging. No difficulty changing for me though, Lunatic is in the title...

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Zoran, who was posted upthread, did a video on this map where he used Kana with Dragonstone+ to one shot the Stoneborn. The thing with them is that they don’t aggro until their door is open so the range isn’t quite so scary but still it’s reasonable to either ignore the left entirely or wait until Iago is down to take it on.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I definitely did the Grisly Wound coward strat because gently caress that noise even on Hard tbh.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I remember killing everything on this map.

Another mistake that led to my inevitable end.

Also I forgot to add that because my Corrin would implode to Ryoma, I did Ryoma map on Lunatic by splitting my army.

Yeah that was dumb.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Bogart posted:

Zoran, who was posted upthread, did a video on this map where he used Kana with Dragonstone+ to one shot the Stoneborn. The thing with them is that they don’t aggro until their door is open so the range isn’t quite so scary but still it’s reasonable to either ignore the left entirely or wait until Iago is down to take it on.
I saw that video but I don't remember much, I think it involved Kana having as her mother to get her magic high enough for the OHKO? Maybe I should have put that in Kana's analysis.

Natural 20 posted:

I remember killing everything on this map.

Another mistake that led to my inevitable end.

Also I forgot to add that because my Corrin would implode to Ryoma, I did Ryoma map on Lunatic by splitting my army.

Yeah that was dumb.
Oof. In a situation like that I guess you could have reclassed Corrin to something with 8 move if that was an option? They'd be able to run around Ryoma while the rest of your army catches up.

Impressive that you actually did that though, even if it cost you a lot of staff uses. I needed Nina on both sides of the map for my attempt, I don't know how I would have managed with a divided army.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Before this chapter starts I need an extra Mend and an extra Entrap. Entrapping Hans is vital, so it would be nice to have a second spare just in case the first one misses.

I'll go with the standard speed and resistance since getting wheat from the lottery is a pipe dream at this point. I've been having extremely good luck with the chef I get - normally my attempts to cook good meals are foiled by rotating kitchen squad of Keaton and Felicia.

I get the same number as slots as last chapter, so that means the same team as last time. Jakob once again is here but doesn't get to fit on screen.

All the doors here have 50 HP and can be opened or broken. In most cases whoever opens a door will be at the mercy of the enemies on the other side, so having a bulky Locktouch user could be handy.

Turn 1 goal is to dispose of the Hexing Rod Maid right outside the door, but this Entrap user will complicate things. Advancing too far beyond the door will get a unit taken away...

Xander will rush ahead to take out the Maid. He will eat a stat drop from her knife, but Iago's going to slap him with Enfeeble on turn 1 anyway. His range covers most of my units but since Xander's in range of so many enemies and has low res he's the juiciest target.

That's a very nice level, and his defense capped. He'll need all the bulk he can get to tank the room before the boss. Axes don't scare him so Axebreaker means nothing.

Azura dances Midori away so I can form a defensive wall to keep all my army safe. Xander is going to get grabbed by Entrap so he unfortunately cannot be part of it.

Right on cue he gets Enfeebled, Entrapped, and... Frozen? Oops, I guess I was wrong about the Maids in this room, they will still use their staves on units outside even before you open the door.

Being frozen doesn't matter so much though, Xander's fine where he is. His dual guard gauge would have allowed him to survive two hits regardless, but it's weird how one of the Sorcs deliberately declined to attack and instead moved just to set up a dual attack for his friend.

Ophelia is in no danger from these Heroes...

And yet they all neglected to attack Silas because they wanted to hit the squishier target instead, ignoring that after every hit she could heal herself back up to full.

Time for all my filler units to shine as I clean all these guys up. If nothing else, the kids make good high level backups to fill out my deployment slots and deal with stragglers.

Now to move onto the next room before Iago breaks out the more menacing staves. As you move around this map you'll go inbetween safe zones and danger areas where he can hit you.

Xander's on low health, but Peri is ready to take a few hits. Once again her servant murdering experience comes in handy. Every staff user gone from this map is a weight off of my shoulders.

Dwyer gets slapped with a Freeze, meaning it's Silence time next. Iago himself can't freeze a unit to hex them next turn thanks to his attack order, but another staff user might end up sticking someone in place for Iago to be free to hex them.

Popping open these doors will trigger reinforcements next turn, but sticking these two on the stairs blocks them from appearing. Normally I'd be happy to farm them for EXP but a significant number of my army is already level 20.

Now to open up this room. Whoever lockpicks or breaks open these doors is most likely going to get frozen and enfeebled, as well as being in range of whatever Iago's planning on using. It's very important to make sure you know what staff he's about to use...

Next turn will be the Hexing Rod. I'll wait a turn until he's back to Enfeeble, I don't want Ophelia or whoever having their durability cut in half.

Percy's the target with the lowest resistance right now so the poor boy is constantly getting hit with whatever. I think the Maids would rather status someone in range of the Sorcs once the door's actually open, but right now Percy's their main target.

It's actually quite hard to break this door in one hit. Ophelia's the only decently resistant who can do it, so I guess she's my best candidate...

Horse Spirit in hand, Dwyer giving her -4 damage taken. I'd have given her Nosferatu but I want all these enemies gone by next turn. I think she'll be fine!

And of course she's hit with a bunch of staves. That's fine, all it does is counterract her rally.

Ophelia's not quite strong enough to cleanly ORKO, but her crit rate is so high and Vengeance is a thing so most likely she'll destroy her attackers anyway. Some of these units have Inspiration or Malefic Aura, so making sure they don't survive to make their allies stronger is paramount.

Seigbert is helping! I don't think he makes a very good Dark Knight...

The one spot where Ophelia stood also happened to be out of range of this one guy with a Mjolnir tome. Crits are bad so not having to deal with him is nice, although now she's frozen in place and needs her allies to clean up while she waits to become unstuck.

So close to being a one shot... Maids aren't threatning damagewise, but their high accuracy means you'll most likely eat a slight debuff if you can't take them out in a single hit.

One last wet fart of a level for Silas. Boo... or maybe not boo, he has capped like 3 stats already.

Now I have a nice little safe zone for my units to rest up in. Reinforcements are going to appear as soon as I open the door to Hans's room, so I can't be too careful, but for now I can heal and wait for debuffs to wear off.

Speaking of Hans, let's invite him over!

oh gently caress off

Good thing I bought that second staff. Forrest, you are now promoted to Jakob.

He's an Inspiration to us all. This is one of the best skills in the game so I'm glad he finally has it!

There goes 1 of 2 of the War Crime Bros. Dancing Xander to attack him twice was the safest way to go... I had the brilliant idea on a previous attempt to double and kill him with Corrin's Levin Sword to deliberately activate Countermagic to get her HP below half, but it turned out she dealt more magical damage than she had HP. It was an embarrassing defeat.

Nobody in my army can use this. I wonder if I can sell it? Only Berserkers can raise their axe rank to S rank, and I don't have any. The S rank weapons in Fates tend to have a large amount of drawbacks that make using them difficult so most people don't consider them worth it, but they are at least good for killing bosses.

Here are the reinforcements. The ones with ranged weapons can be baited through the door, the other 2 will just sit there until you open up the room.

Welp, there goes my last chance to lower her HP below half before the big room at the end. Perhaps if the enemies that attack her through the door can hurt her without killing her...

This one section of the map is stuck in both Iago and a Freeze Maid's staff range... I guess Jakob lives here now. He's got every curse known to man slapped on him right now.

Nice. I don't know how much chance I'll have to use this, or if I've got room in anybody's inventory for it, but nice.

Time for operation lure. Both units here are in Freeze range, but at least they can't be hit by Iago. Taking out all the enemies with ranged weapons may take a while...

That was disappointing. I guess I can use that Speedwing now? Not sure why I didn't before...

Wary Fighter is the worst. Ophelia could shred these guys easily, but they have Countermagic and she does not have the HP to survive her own attacks.

A carefully calculated attack gets Corrin down to very low HP, therefore activating VoF. Now I can switch to Silas...

...or not, because now she's ended her turn and will get killed on account of being in range of enemies at low HP. Time to heal her back up! I really didn't think this through.

A mediocre last level. Speed is cool I suppose.

The Freeze Maids are also packing Physic staves. On one hand this drags out the battle even more, on the other it gives my frozen units an oppurtunity to escape. Staff Savant applies to these too so they won't run out.

That's everybody gone who will move, which means it's time to kick down the doors. This second half of cleaning out the room will be much trickier - not only are the 1 range weapons much harder to deal with, but I won't be able to have any units directly adjacent to my front line without them being in danger too. That means no Azura dances or 1 range heals...

The reinforcements will be on their way from the upper room, but I think I can handle them. Corrin's not below half health, I'm not 100% sure Silas will be able to tank for long...

He can just about tank the Generals but I'm much more concerned about the Berserkers. They're on the opposite side of the room but they'll get closer...

That Sol crit was very cool but I'm not sure killing all your attackers is a good idea!

Oh, so they do come from the upper stairs, not the lower ones... I may have given incorrect information before. It's possible the second wave the turn after comes from the lower stairs instead, but any units I place there will be in Iago's range.

The Sorcs aren't super scary but that Maid has Freeze and will move. She might be an issue.

At least Jakob's finally free to move again. I should bring him back to safety...

Rallying with Shigure and dance him away with Azura helps keep my units bulky enough to survive. Xander is under no threat, but Silas I'm more worried about...

Elise will boost his bulk, and Percy's passive will boost his crit avoid. Those Berserkers are scary and I do not want Silas getting one-shot by a crit.

And just to be absolutely sure I'll give him a sword so he's dodgier. This does mean he won't be able to counterattack all the spears that get thrown at him...

The reinforcements decide to bully Jakob from afar. Better him than someone useful!

Elise can only be targetted by one enemy at a time from her current position. 2 hits would kill her, so that's definitely for the best!

If I hadn't swapped Silas's weapon, the Berserkers might have been throwing themselves at him only to die and free up a space over and over, instead of doing the same to Xander. I wish I had 2 Xanders to choke this point with.

Oh yep, the second wave does come from the stairs! This is quite bad, I may be in trouble here.

Time to do some inventory swapping and create a makeshift chokepoint. Ophelia stands next to Elise to receive boosts from her passive, Elise takes the Horse Spirit to boost her own resistance.

It's not quite a chokepoint but it's good enough. I'll really need to take out the Maids next turn.

Just a quick top up before they face the front lines. I'm glad I had all these to waste.

Ow. I didn't expect her to attack. Not a problem, but it's very rare to see a staff user not take a chance to use their staff.

I didn't actually know what staff Iago was about to use when I set this up, I was just hoping it wasn't Silence or Hex. Thankfully it was Freeze and nobody is dead!

Silas really needs to move, it'll only take a few unfortunate hits to finish him off. I said I wanted Xander to choke this by himself, if everybody else runs away I can do that...

First step, clear some room for my units to run away to. Elise finishes off an enemy and caps her skill, something I never thought she'd manage to do. All it took was like all my secret books...

A frozen Nina pairs up with the adjacent Jakob to hitch a ride over to this Maid to take her out. I did not plan this but I am glad it worked, now my units can all retreat to relative safety...

Without allies close by to rally him or block off potential attackers, Xander's not quite as good at tanking as he was. I think he's going to have to retreat too.

...luring the rest of the enemies over for my entire army to descend on them all at once and take them out. I could try to set up yet another chokepoint, but I think I'll take this chance while I have it.

Maybe if Camilla had choked the point instead of Silas things would have gone more smoothly. Her low luck was the one thing that made me not want to use her, the Berserkers could potentially crit her...

That's almost all the enemies gone, with one unfortunate exception with a clear shot on Azura. It's okay! There's so many defensive passive abilities in my army that Azura's a lot bulkier than she appears.

Still though, I shouldn't have tried pushing ahead so soon.

Dwyer takes the kill and levels up enough to get Tomebreaker.

Now to clean up and prepare to take on Iago. Getting in range of the second Maid will put the attacker in Entrap range, so you have to be careful.

I thought I was free of Jakob levels! At least he got magic.

Camilla invites herself into the leftmost room and lays off the cleaning staff. This'll be as far left as I go - those Stoneborn are scary and I do not want the Spy's Yumi that badly.

A load of rallies and Spendthrift are all it takes to turn Iago into a complete joke. Look at his face! That's the face of a man who knows he is dead.

An undignified end is what he deserves.

Finally, the map is purged of green. I sure am glad to see the back of Staff Savant! I bet it and Inevitble End will never come back, certainly not at the same time as one another...

Time to steal Iago's retirement fund. If he were a good friend he would have used Bifrost on his buddy Hans...

Okay now can we kill Garon

Of course Corrin can't be the one to kill him, Leo has to steal it at the last second. I don't know why they did it this way, it's so much less satisfying.

It's about dang time.

...or I could fight some purple guys in my magic castle. I think I promised to show this off?

Next time: Garon gets to live a little longer

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
:eng101: Iago's Staff access is a flag that can be applied to any unit, similar to "is Ryoma", "Is Xander", or "Is Ophelia". It appends Staves to their class's current weapons, including for 3-weapon classes.

The immediate line before this chapter, "You want to see me become a heartless killer? Watch this," is one of the best one-liners in Fire Emblem, and I will not back down on this. It's on par with "I'll die for General Zelgius!" "Yes, you will," and "I'll rip that traitorous tongue from your mouth!" "Then you'll finally have the truth in your grasp."

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Faillen Angel posted:

:eng101: Iago's Staff access is a flag that can be applied to any unit, similar to "is Ryoma", "Is Xander", or "Is Ophelia". It appends Staves to their class's current weapons, including for 3-weapon classes.

The immediate line before this chapter, "You want to see me become a heartless killer? Watch this," is one of the best one-liners in Fire Emblem, and I will not back down on this. It's on par with "I'll die for General Zelgius!" "Yes, you will," and "I'll rip that traitorous tongue from your mouth!" "Then you'll finally have the truth in your grasp."

Oh, interesting. I assumed that if it wasn't Staff Savant it was a unique class that happens to be otherwise identical to Sorcerer, but that seems simplier. I wonder what other classes look like with staff animations?

It was nice to see Corrin do something cool, although I think the heartless killer line is made a bit worse by them not actually getting the kill.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

One more challenge before Garon. I don't think I've ever managed to complete Invasion 3 on Lunatic before... Although come to think of it, have I ever even tried? I don't remember.

No more hoarding, Corrin gets the Speedwing to cap speed at 31 and Ophelia gets the Seraph Robe to fix one of her two only bad stats. I considered giving the robe to Corrin, but figured it might mess with VoF strats a bit.

I got some supports this time! Dwyer / Ophelia and Midori / Camilla. Ophelia's a great character for no context quotes.

Yes! Wheat!!! The people of Nohr finally have bread!!! Time to celebrate with a tasty Nohrian sandwich.

...but now I'm not sure I actually want it. I would prefer speed and resistance for the next map so once again I must combine milk and cabbages. It doesn't sound like a nice combo...

Speaking of milk, what happens to all the milk bottles I keep leaving out in memory of Lilith? Either someone cleans them up afterward or this shrine now stinks horribly. Or it's been converted into a cheese cave.

Time to splurge and spend all my DVP on boosting castle battle stats as high as possible. They'll most likely get destroyed very quickly but the boost they provide for the first few turns of battle is nice.

Alright, time to see what this is all about. I'm not actually all that sure myself... I don't see any Maids or Merchants so I'm already feeling more optimistic than last time!

Most noticeable are these three jerks. They all have Certain Blow and Wary Fighter, and they all do an insane amount of damage. Stoneborn are dangerous and can't be taken out on enemy phase unless you trap them, and castle battles tend to get more and more chaotic the longer they go on... Bunching 3 together like these means it'll be difficult to have someone like Ophelia get close to Lightning them without getting overwhelmed.

The Basaras have Seal Speed and the Blacksmiths have Seal Defense. Taking them out in one round shouldn't be tricky though, they're not too bulky or too fast.

The boss is a Paladin paired up with another Paladin. He's got a Levin Sword, a Brave Lance, and loads of skills... He also won't move until turn 5, but thanks to Amaterasu he'll heal all his friends so long as he's alive so it's best he dies now.

His buddy has a Beast Killer but otherwise isn't much of a threat. Certainly nothing compared to the Spendthrift Merchant with an Entrap Maid in his back pocket.

On the left and right are a bunch of mounted units with Lunge. Lunge is a great way to stop you from cheesing the chapter by refusing to move off of the throne, so no wonder so many enemies have it. There's a lot of them but they otherwise are not scary.

Lilith is dead but she still functions the exact same as she always did... Makes her death feel even sillier. Maybe her little fireball spirit evaporates all the milk that's left out for her.

Almost all my units have capped their levels. I'm just doing this chapter for bragging rights and completion's sake. I guess the boss has a nice stat booster? Although most of my best physical attackers have capped their strength too...

Time for the age old strategy of boost the stats of Xander and send him at the enemies.

Unfortunately it takes him 3 hits to take out a single Stoneborn, crits aside... They do however not do enough damage to hurt him at all.

Xander standing in front of this one also cuts its movement just enough to protect Shigure. Nice!

Otherwise taking out the left and right sides is trivially easy. Nobody's getting any EXP for this but it doesn't matter.

All the enemies take a huge chunk of damage from my Dusk Dragon... and then heal up again thanks to the boss's Amaterasu. Maybe I should have taken him out first instead of going for the Stoneborn?

Oops, enemies can destroy buildings so hiding behind them isn't very effective!

Attempt 2, Laslow is Xander's partner instead of Peri, and Azura dances him instead of Shigure rallying him. This is to make sure all the enemies around the boss attack him - on my last attempt he was too bulky to take any damage and they went right past him.

Unfortunately the Stoneborn can now hurt Xander. Thanks to Sol this shouldn't be too much of an issue...

But my main goal this time is to eliminate the boss. A ORKO would have been nice, but my attempts are basically throwing poo poo at the wall to see if it sticks so I'll just see how this goes.

Oh, right, Vegeance! Oops. Xander's defense drops massively once the defensive buildings get destroyed... Maybe I should go for that ORKO.

This required both Peri and replacing Camilla with Percy so I could rally Xander's strength. I've still got Azura instead of Shigure.

Nice, a pretty much perfect outcome. The Levin Sword can't activate offensive skills so there's no risk of Vengeance, but Xander dodged anyway thanks to the Einharjar building boosting his avoid.

Once the defensive building is gone Xander will get attacked by these guys too. They're no threat, they barely do any damage and they don't survive combat to seal his skills. Unfortunately Xander can't double them without a rally or Azura's dance, which is impractical to do in the heat of battle.

A lucky mix of Sol and Dual Guard activations or dodges are needed to not get clobbered by the Basaras, but this map is short enough that I don't mind the risk.

Sorry if it's somewhat hard to parse what's going on, the hardest part of this chapter is just a big group of enemies in an open field, and like the last invasion my strategy here consists of finding out what buffs to give Xander before throwing him at them. It's one of the few cases where a video would be better I think.

Seems like this approach was best anyway. Most of the southern enemies are gone, and all that's left to do is slowly whittle down these Stoneborn.

Cleanup at the left and right is a little tricker than the last invasion. The enemies have no interest in attacking my units unless they can kill them, they either go for the throne or smash random buildings. My super high level units can one round them easily, but there are a lot of them. Dealing with them unfortunately means nobody is free to help against the Stoneborn...

Although I'm not sure who could even approach them in the first place. Ophelia and Elise would both be killed if two of them attacked in the same turn, and their high attack range makes them difficult to get near without taking a hit first.

Predictably this chapter also has reinforcements. Mostly just more of the same, but what's scary about these Stoneborn is that they have Lunge - anybody hit by them is going to get dragged halfway across the map and killed. It's like the Spy Yumi Automatons but worse.

I think the only other map to use the Lunge Stoneborn combo in this game is, for some reason, the EXP grinding DLC. I don't know why they thought it would be appropriate to use there.

Taking one hit drags Xander back to the bottom of the map. This might become a problem if he takes too much damage...

...and now there's more reinforcements. A load of Dark Knights with Lifetaker and Paladin pairs with Lunge. Xander might be dead!

It'll take some luck to survive all this. If I understand their AI they won't attack Xander if they can't kill him, which means I just need him to raise his HP via Sol...

This is actually the best outcome - Xander survives, but the enemies attack him so they get themselves killed against him rather than trying to seize the throne.

At least Peri has levels to gain. I was hoping she could maybe cap her strength, although I don't know what her cap for that actually is.

A mix of Sol, dodges, and dual guards allows Xander to survive and defeat all three Dark Knights. I was fully prepared to reset the map and try a more aggressive approach to rout all the Stoneborn before the reinforcements showed up, but this was a pleasant surprise.

3 Lunge Paladins from either side of the map spawn in. This might get hairy.

The rest of my army can take out the Paladins, but they can't handle the Stoneborn. I want Xander to take them out while my other units hang by the throne to take out the attackers. The Dusk Dragon has whittled them down to killing range...

These Blacksmiths have Tomebreaker, but it doesn't help them.

...or maybe it does help then when Ophelia misses a 92% hit chance.

At this point I should have just reset and came in with a better strategy, but I was too invested. So two physic uses get blown to keep Ophelia alive.

The Stoneborn move forward to attack, allowing Ophelia to finish them off at close range. The Lunge ones are my top priority and they spawned in late enough to not have accumulated too much damage from the Dusk Dragon, Xander couldn't take them out.

I think I have enough units gathered at the throne to take out all the Paladins before they overwhelm me.

It helps that they seem to want to waste time smashing every single obstacle on the way. Who rebuilds all of this?

And then Forrest cleans up the last of the Stoneborn, because only he can earn anything from doing it. Neither of his levels were good.

I had no idea what I was doing and I'm sure my commentary reflected that. I guess I have an Energy Drop now? I'll probably use that on Peri or Xander. It's near the end of the game and I'm feeling a little burned out, it's no surprise the previous Fates LP never managed to reach the end of Revelation.

Next time: Garon, for real

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I'm not surprised you're feeling a bit burned out, lategame Conquest Lunatic is harrowing to play and your update schedule has been insane. Been a great LP, though! Gonna be sad to see it end.

Also I have never once gone left on Treason and I never will. That room is butts.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly, the endgame of Conquest throws so much bullshit at you that the best counter is a doom-stack unit buffed to the gills. And since Xander has his special sword and his extreme power, there's no real reason not to use him for it. Combine that with Xander honestly never really changing from game to game as I don't see how you can give him much variance, and I can see this just being kind of bland for the end.

Feels like endgame Conquest doesn't realize that you need to leave a variety of options as valid moves for the game to be interesting....

As far as I can tell, your tactics haven't changed in a good long while because of this restriction, so burn-out is very understandable. At least early on, you had a variety of tactics you were able to employ.

I find Fire Emblem at its best when you can use your, y'know, army to fight battles, not just like 1-2 dudes. Conquest endgame seems to suffer from basically turning into Awakening endgame, which is also boring as gently caress because there's no real thought or tactical decisions to make. The only decision is you tweaking the stats to make your doomstack unit do its thing, which isn't really interesting to play or watch.

Still, good on you for the LP. I did enjoy myself for the early bits before running into the malaise of watching these endgame maps. They do not look fun, and it kind of killed my interest in doing my own run, but the early bits were still valuable and fun.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Frankly, the game is over, that was the last tough map. The Garon hallway is just boring since you're obliged to take out all the small fry, as is the reverse Takumi hallway since it's just a mad rush to take him down.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Lunge Stoneborn... Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't abuse that one a bit more, or somehow making lunge work with siege weaponry.

Edit: All this does remind me how terminally uncreative Madness was for Three Houses. Ugh, what a letdown that was.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Three Houses map design really is terminally bland. Conquest goes too far the other direction, to the point of overdoing it. I can at least respect Conquest for having their intent in the right place to make the maps interesting, even if I think they hosed the execution up.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's funny how halfway through this run I was all 'huh, now I kinda feel like playing Conquest again' and then you got to Endless Stairway onwards and I'm like 'actually never mind, I'm good, I remember this stretch of maps'.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Keldulas posted:

Three Houses map design really is terminally bland. Conquest goes too far the other direction, to the point of overdoing it. I can at least respect Conquest for having their intent in the right place to make the maps interesting, even if I think they hosed the execution up.

I think 3H's biggest mechanical problem is how open-ended character development is. Anyone can be any class (barring gender locks and the lords' unique classes), and you can recruit almost anyone at any time. Making interesting and challenging maps that aren't just bullshit numbers and other cheap tricks (i.e. 3H Maddening) just isn't possible when you have no control over what a player might or might not have access to.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

We're almost at the end! Only 2 chapters left to go. Charlotte just milked a cow.

The last support of the entire run. Elise healed a bunch of injured pirates who attacked a town thinking that showing them kindness would convince them to mend their ways, they ran off and escaped justice and now Xander is mad at her. I'm sure this support chain has a nice conclusion but it won't get to happen.

There might be two chapters left in the run, but this is the last time I'll get to access my castle. It's time to prepare for endgame, and that means selling everything I don't need and buying everything I want. 5 gold bars should be enough for the last 2 maps... I'll take Profiteer off of Nina's skillset, she can't fit it alongside all the other skills she wants.

I literally cannot use any of these so I'll sell them all for a tidy 15,000 profit. Getting rid of Bifrost is a bit of a shame, but only Butlers or Maids can reach S rank to use it and Dwyer's only at B. Having insurance just in case one of your units dies is nice, but I've never had a situation in which only one unit dies and nobody else in the last 2 chapters. Endgame tends to be a "do it right or you all die" thing for me.

I'll see if I can forge some of these spare weapons and then sell the rest. I have so many swords from all my recruits but not enough units to actually use them. Corrin and Xander have special swords they'd rather use over anything else, and Silas has knives... All my Paladins ended up reclassing and Nina can only use E rank swords and has no chance of reaching D now.

Peri gets a +1 Javelin. I doubt that extra 2 might will come in handy, but you never know. I probably could have forged this much earlier...

She also gets this +2 Iron Lance. It's 1 point less strong than her +1 Steel Lance, but also much more accurate and doesn't slow her down.

Finally Silas gets an extra forge on his Iron Knife. I really want as much killing power as possible for the last map.

After selling almost all my stuff I am now very rich. I could have bought these two Arms Scrolls and gotten Dwyer capable of using Bifrost, but alas I have already sold it. Considering how in demand inventory slots are for staff users I'm not even sure I'd want him to have it.

It is possible for Corrin to one round the final boss, and that's why I put her through Swordmaster and Master of Arms to raise her might through skills. There is one last trick to getting her offense up though, and that's Gunter - his personal will raise her damage output by 3, and as a Wyvern Lord he'll raise it by 3 more while also increasing her movement. Only having a C support with him means he won't boost her stats quite as high as he could, but he's still a great option.

Buying 4 of each tonic for the last chapter and almost every single staff in the store leaves me with 22000 gold... That's enough for 2 stat boosters with a small amount left over if it turns out I need specific tonics or healing items. Which two should I get...

A Seraph Robe and a Dracoshield will help Corrin not die, help she kind of needs if she's running Life and Death. Unfortunately I think she's still 5 or so points away from her defense cap.

Xander can have the Energy Drop, it was either him or Peri. She'll most likely be paired up with him so she won't be using her stats all that much anyway...

Now it's time for one last team status before the end. I'll try and find something to say about all of my units... Probably just one or two sentences otherwise I'll run out of steam halfway through. In no particular order:

Despite how RNG blessed she seemed to be, at least at the beginning, I don't think I got as much use out of Corrin (or "Conquest" I guess) as I could have. Turns out needing to be half dead so someone else can benefit from their personal skill makes you a bit hard to use. +Magic was kind of a weird choice for a unit who spent most of her time in physical classes and paired with Silas, but she was still very good at using the Levin Sword. A less magically blessed Corrin in this role wouldn't have turned out as well as she did, but I'm glad I got to play with this weird and fun unit even if I didn't use her as much as I should have.

This run turned a bit too much into "just use Xander" at the end. He's not necessary to beat Conquest, but he sure helps make it easy. Turns out Aegis is actually a great skill when you combine it with Sol... Looking at his averages, he seems very blessed in speed but screwed in strength, and that is taking into account stat boosters. He'd have been a lot less useful had he not been able to double so much in the lategame.

An average Silas should have reached 25 defense with his class progression, and yet I wasted at least 1 Dracoshield on this guy and he's still super fragile. What happened? At least he's blessed in pretty much every other area. If anything I'm annoyed he did so good in all his other stats, it makes it harder to complain about the one stat I want to complain about. VoF & Supportive Sol Master Ninja is a very fun combo though, and I'm glad I got to use it.

Nina might have been better had I kept her as a Bow Knight for most of her levels and only swapped her to Merchant when she needed the skills, but once she finally learned Spendthrift and got her horse back she did very well. Mozu makes every child great, but I think Nina's a good kid regardless. Bow Knight's a powerful class and as a second generation unit it's easy to customise her with good skills and growths. She pretty much carried me in Chapter 25...

I get it now. Ophelia is good, even without Elise as a mother. There were very few enemies she could not ORKO with the right tome, and even with her bad bulk she was a great Nosferatu tank. Having used her I now want to try out Rhajat in Birthright - she might not have access to the Dark Mage class without Corrin marrying Hayato or playing Revelation, but her growths and bases are both better than Ophelia's, at least in magic and speed.

Forrest is a cool character who didn't really get to do much. Staffbotting is useful but it doesn't make you stand out all that much, no flashy crits or anything. He and all my other staff users have dropped their weapons to carry as many staves as possible - I want them all for Endgame.

I feel so vindicated by how well Wyvern Elise turned out. Promoting her early might have been a more optimal choice in the short term, but by holding off until level 20 I got her even more chances to gain skill, and she happily took all of them. I don't think I'm ever going to see a capped skill Elise again. Ophelia stole her thunder a little towards the end, but at the end of the day she's still a flying unit with 8 move and solid defense and Ophelia can't compete with that!

Peri absolutely popped off at the beginning, but as soon as I swapped her class I feel as if she stalled a bit. Maybe competing with Camilla and Elise while also being shackled to Xander made her seem worse than she was, she's certainly not bad compared to the rest of my army and her stats are great. I guess that's the danger of pairing two good units together instead of using a dedicated stat backpack you otherwise don't train, one always gets overshadowed by the other.

Percy is here to prove that the ordering of my units makes no sense. I'm surprised at how useful his personal skill turned out to be, even if it was for one section of one chapter. Otherwise he's just a rallybot who only ever enters combat to lunge something closer to the rest of my army.

Azura is a testament to my stubborness in not just deciding to cut out her levels in my screenshots. It feels weird that I keep calling her a Dancer when she sings, but I guess that's just the terminology. I never really got to show off the power of Shelter to make her dance twice in one turn... Perhaps in Endgame?

Camilla's slightly unlucky levels made her not as useful as she could have been, but she's still the Queen of Conquest to me! Unfortunately Xander ended up stealing her thunder a little. RIP to her skill growth, almost 5 points behind her average! Maybe I'll let her kill her dad in the next chapter, that'll make up for things.

Shigure was the Rallyman I needed after Niles got benched hard. He might have been one of the most useful units in my army so far, even if his utility wasn't very glamorous. Healing and rallies are all you need, although I do kind of wish I'd given him Inspiration to inherit.

Dwyer was much of the same, a quietly good unit who was useful but who's usefulness mostly consisted of standing next to someone else to make them stronger. I'm definitely sold on the Jakob/Azura pairing combo, it gives you two quite useful kids.

Midori didn't really do anything besides open chests, but that's okay. That's what filler units are for! I do regret not making a Camilla!Velouria, but that's my bad for poor team planning.

Jakob managed to be useful all the way until the end, even if both his kids outclassed him. Perhaps I could have kept him as a Butler to get his staff rank to S, but otherwise movement is so much more useful. Looks like he got pretty close to D rank in tomes...

Leo is my one unit I can say with certainty got RNG screwed. A shame, I think he's good! He's a prepromote with solid 1-2, good bulk, and speed that's just good enough to get him into doubling threshold with a little help. Things just didn't turn out so well for him.

I guess Niles ended up being somewhat of a disappointment too. All that work to make him an Archer, and as soon as I made him one he forgot how to gain stats at all. To be honest he probably would have performed perfectly fine had I kept bringing him along, I was just feeling spiteful. At least Nina made a very good replacement!

But Odin was the most important unit of all. If you take anything from this let's play, let it be this: Odin is good. He's good!!!!!! I only benched him because I feared his true potential........

Actual next time for real: Garon

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Odin is like the prime example of how useful Nosferatu is. I have simply never seen an Odin turn out well, and yet he is still one of the best characters in Conquest for just how much easier he makes the earlier maps. Since those are the maps where you're at your weakest....

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
One of the worst bits about Birthright is that actual good thrown weapons (Javelins and Hand Axes) are in very short supply. Sure, you get good Hidden Weapons, but that's not something you want on everyone. I think I have one Javelin as of chapter 25, and it's from when Silas joined. Naginatas generally win out in utility over Lances (mostly the Dual and Guard Naginatas), but relying on the Bolt Naginata for 1-2 range on a Spear specialist (for me, Oboro and Shiro) is an exercise in pain. Also, you can't get Nosferatu in Birthright period, as near as I can tell.

Outside of that one weapon DLC map, of course.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 22, 2021

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
BR has the Throwing Club and the Kodachi, at least. The real tragedy is that the route with bow users doesn't get a 1-2 range yumi aside from maybe the Sidelong Yumi, and that's only from castle rewards.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If there was a consistent way to get the castle random pickups, that'd be ideal. Let me trade in gems for them. Stuff like the Bold Naginata (huge attack, -5Def/Res) and Saizo's Star (normal throwing star, gives a half Rally Strength effect on player phase attack) are pretty huge.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The problem with that is that outside of reclassing or going certain promotions the Throwing Club is pretty much just for Rinkah, who's... iffy. Hana and Hinata can eventually use both, but since Hana is pretty terrible, that's Hinata or bust.

And that's of course ignoring that Ryoma exists.

BR pretty much expects you to go ninja for all your range needs, hence why you get three of them (at least, if you remember to A Support Kaze), and then another as a kid.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah. I had Rinkah marry Ryoma to gently caress around with Shiro having Salvage Blow, but it was not worth it.

I've taken Orochi through Witch and now into Dark Falcon. Two points: jeez. Orochi really is the only usable mage in Birthright. Hayato's bases are terrible and he doesn't have any levels where he can flourish in a niche to catch up. I guess you can use the Challenge maps to baby him, but to what end? Second: The Witch Shadowgift skill is truly worthless on Birthright, it almost feels like it shouldn't be there. I get the feeling they intended there to be more than one dark magic spell but it fell through. And even then, Orochi is *fine,* not fantastic. Her magic is great and she has Horse Spirit / Calamity Gate access so she's never terrible, but her speed really founders. Even as an Onmioyji, Sakura has bad magic and is frail as hell. Guess you could use Felicia with the Flame Shuriken, but...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hayato is actually pretty decent in Revelation, but yeah, he's pretty junky in Birthright. His daughter is actually a great mage, though. You could also use Mozu's paralogue to level him, if you wanted.

Sakura isn't a horrible Onmyoji, but she's mostly just there and nothing really good or bad. Azama is secretly a physical unit, as are Jakob and Dwyer. Felicia could pass on Strategist to a few kids, but outside of Rhajat the only one that could really make use of it is, surprisingly, Asugi.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Grind Azama to level 10 and promote him to Great Master and he will absolutely destroy the midgame, and even be useful up to about Chapter 20. Even on Lunatic. He's one of the best physical units in the game.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Looking forward to the end of all of this and how you manage to clown it, relatively speaking since it's Lunatic.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Walla posted:

Grind Azama to level 10 and promote him to Great Master and he will absolutely destroy the midgame, and even be useful up to about Chapter 20. Even on Lunatic. He's one of the best physical units in the game.

gently caress Azama. The man could have the stats and availability of Seth and I still wouldn't use him. He and Subaki are such odious dickheads that I can't bring myself to use them at all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

The problem with that is that outside of reclassing or going certain promotions the Throwing Club is pretty much just for Rinkah, who's... iffy. Hana and Hinata can eventually use both, but since Hana is pretty terrible, that's Hinata or bust.

And that's of course ignoring that Ryoma exists.

BR pretty much expects you to go ninja for all your range needs, hence why you get three of them (at least, if you remember to A Support Kaze), and then another as a kid.

This is some fierce Scarlet erasure, she falls off to merely being “pretty good” once you start fight all promoted squads of enemies with silver weapons but before that you can just throw her at hordes of mobs without bows/magic with a throwing club and just laugh as she sets up kills for everyone.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Rather than reply to everyone I'll just say that yeah, Conquest's lategame is a little more miserable than I remember. Stat stacking super units like Xander or Ophelia definitely isn't the only way to overcome these chapters, even on Lunatic, but it is unfortunately the safest way and faster and more risky strategies just aren't as appealing in a game without Divine Pulse or map saves. Honestly though, I can't think of a single FE game where I like the endgame, I'm always burned out by the time all maps become huge fields of enemies that take forever to cut through and all of my army reaches their endgame stats with little room left to grow.

For those of you who were thinking about replaying Conquest I will say that Normal mode is a lot less oppressive towards the end. Normal mode CQ is a pretty underrated difficulty imo, it keeps a lot of the game's gimmicks and puzzles while also being much less frustrating. Hard mode is also easier of course but the difficulty's a bit less consistent, some maps are much easier than Lunatic and some like the endless stairs one are pretty much as difficult.

I have nothing to add to the Birthright talk except that Scarlet owns bones and she's way unappreciated. It's a shame she barely has any supports though, I tend not to use her since I try to unlock as many new suppot conversations as I can with each new playthrough. I've never actually tried it, but I feel that if you wanted a solid 1-2 range axe user you could reclass her to Malig Knight and give her the Bolt Axe? An enemy drops it in the chapter she joins and while her magic certainly isn't good, the Bolt Axe is strong and BR enemies have very low resistance. Before factoring in pair-up bonuses or anything else she'll have 24 might with one at base, and as a Malig she's got a surprisingly decent magic growth of 35%. She'll only lose a single point of strength by reclassing too so she'll still be able to hit stuff with other axes if you want.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

This king empty... YEET! That would have been a very funny and relevant thing to say 4 or 5 years ago I think.

Unfortunately the fire alarm went off while everybody was getting their armour on to fight Garon and Corrin didn't have time to put any trousers on. Having F!Corrin in any mounted class does kind of make it hard to take any cutscene seriously... Or harder, I guess.

The Nohr siblings are somewhat sceptical about us telling them their dad is an evil monster. Xander is the most willing to believe Corrin, but for some reason he suspects "Corrin is evil and lying and is doing this to lure them all into a trap" as the second most likely alternative. She could just be wrong! Or more likely, trying to think up a reason why these four should betray their obviously evil dad since just him being evil doesn't seem a good enough reason for them to do it.

The gang walks in to find Garon sat on a throne and turned into hot glue. I wonder how long he'd been sat down. Would he have turned back to normal if he had stood up for long enough? Incidentally this is what I choose to believe happens to Harry du Bois if he gets a game over while sat in Evrart's chair.

The shock of this revelation causes Camilla to lose a leg, Elise to combust, and Leo to fart explosively. This was meant to be a screenshot of Garon hitting them with his big long goopy arm but I think my timing was way off, this is the worst action shot I've ever taken.

...I said I wouldn't comment on plot stuff too much but it's almost the endgame and this map is super short anyway. I've earned a bit of fun.

Xander is the only one who's able to stand up to Garon. Possibly because he's the only one with any real memory of him being a decent person, and therefore the only sibling for which evil goo man Garon is much of a downgrade.

The Yato achieves its final form. Seeing this cutscene is the trigger for this transformation, you don't actually have to start the chapter and you can back out and keep it. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to use the Shadow Yato outside of this map and the one after it.

Fitting with the horrible and strange reality the Nohrian siblings have been suddenly faced with, this map is weird. This chapter is romhack levels of strange, and I don't mean it as an insult - I think it's genuinely interesting. You also have to replay it every time you fail the endgame map immediately after so any goodwill towards it will evaporate extremely quickly.

The secret to not having to replay this map over and over lies in Fates's option to change difficulty between chapters. I very definitely recommend you swap from Classic to Casual before attempting this for the sake of your sanity - even if you're resetting every time a unit dies, Casual allows you to make permenant map saves at any time. Endgame is one of the cruellest maps in all of Fire Emblem history and forcing you to replay the map before it between every attempt suuuucks. Making a map save on turn 1 isn't quite the same as letting you access battle preperations before the map, but it's close enough to save you a lot of grief.

...or you could use savestates. Savestates on your legitimate copy of Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest for the Nintendo 3DS.

One last meal before we go. This meal will only last for this map and not the one after, so I'm just going with something that will help kill Garon faster. I guess my wheat's going unused forever...

Goo guy Garon has some high stats and a throne, but he's not really all that scary. He's got 3 range, Armoured Blow, Warding Blow, Renewal, Savage Blow, and Dragonskin, but considering how short this map is and how much room there is to gang up on him, he more than likely will feel a little underwhelming.

Dragonskin halves all incoming damage, and reduces the effectiveness of crits and offensive skills by half as well. This means crits will only deal 1.5x the damage, and all effects of offensive skills are only half as powerful - this includes the healing power of skills like Sol. It also prevents damage from skills like Poison Strike. The Shadow Yato reduces the damage reduction effect to merely 25%, so Corrin will most likely be your best answer to enemies with it.

In my head this incarnation of Garon was weaker than Birthright's non-gooey form, but that's not really true. He has regular Garon beat in all stats but HP, luck, and resistance. I guess Birthright's playable characters are generally weaker and lower leveled which is why I thought that? Their version of this map is much harder to beat too.

Right before Gooron is a long hallway with lots of side branches with stairs that all lead here. They are guarded by this group of enemies. They'll all charge forward towards your units right from the get-go, but with the maneuverability the stairs give you it's trivial to skip right past them.

This Merchant has huge bulk, Wary Fighter, and 3 gold bars with which to use Spendthrift. Don't even bother fighting him or his cohorts, it's not worth it.

His friends are similar except they have move + 1 and both Counter skills. The max level Lancers are part of what makes this feel so romhacky to me, it's just a really weird thing to include.

In what I now have realised is kind of a homage to one infamous map in Thracia 776, this map contains 4 Shrine Maidens all with 1 use infinite range Entrap staves. Each one will grab one of your units and stick them in one of these side rooms. The enemies inside won't move until turn 2, so you don't have to worry about being instantly killed.

I don't think anybody is 100% sure how these enemies behave, but as far as I know they will go for your highest stat total units and they will only grab units in the central corridors. Deploy your units in the slots located in the upper side rooms if you don't want them to get grabbed. Defeating the promoted enemy in each room will open up an otherwise unopenable door that leads to the stairs just in front of Garon.

These side rooms also lead there, and you can manually deploy your allies there too. They contain multiple promoted enemies and Shrine Maidens with the high range and powerful Moon Festal healing rods.

Here's an entirely unnecessary visualisation of which pairs of stairs match up. The trick is to lure the middle enemies forward and then take the stairs while they're away from them. It shouldn't be too hard to beat the boss before they catch back up.

It's hard to prepare for this chapter on your first attempt thanks to the infinite range Entrap users, but as far as I can tell they'll always take the same units to the same location each time so long as you don't change your lineup or positioning between attempts. All my best units are paired up to ensure that whoever gets taken will be in the best possible position to fight their captors... I didn't actually know that the Entrap users would ignore units in side rooms when I attempted this, but it ended up not mattering much in the end.

These enemies will run out of the side rooms and harass your other units if you leave them alone, so taking the fight to them if you can is ideal. These level 20 promoted classes with multiple classes are no match for Ophelia.

Taking out the healers will also make things easier, despite being unpromoted they can heal enemies for a lot of HP and their healing rods have a lot of range.

Camilla can't double these Swordmasters but they can't hurt her. Even without Swordbreaker she's probably my best answer to this class.

Everyone else just gets moved up since I have no idea what will happen on enemy phase. Best just to roll with it and improvise.

The Shrine Maidens have chosen. All of these seem like really terrible choices? The Sniper grabbed the 1 range unit with WTA and the Ninja got the Shurikenbreaker user... Shigure's probably going to be in some trouble though, but at least he's good at running away.

Some of my units do better against their adversaries than others. The Spear Masters have Warding Blow but it turns out +20 resistance does not protect you from Ophelia Dusk.

Meanwhile the Merchant and his shareholders all charge forward towards my weak units and away from the stairs. My healers won't be healing anyone since they got separated from all my good combat units, but they do serve as juicy targets to distract these guys.

Corrin needs to get in as much practice hitting Snipers with her sword as possible, because that's what she needs to do next chapter. This guy is no match for her.

Nina can't take this guy out but she can distract him without any danger. I was hoping for a lucky crit but it wasn't to be.

Elise is in a similar boat, she can't hurt her captor much but she can take out the cleric instead. Maybe that's a better use of her time.

There's a reason Shigure didn't show up in his paralogue that was full of Berserkers. He's just going to run.

Shigure can't outpace these enemies on his own, but he can hitch a ride from my mounted healers. They don't have to survive much longer, Corrin's on her way to the boss.

9 effective movement and the secret stairs get her right up to the boss. It's a little hard to see his wide attack range on the red carpet...

A Slime approaches! Command? Thanks to Life and Death Corrin deals a lot of damage to Garon despite his damage lowering skills. She's also taking a lot more damage in return, her effective -10 defense means she gets 2HKO'd instead of being able to survive a couple of rounds.

I think this wobbly text style is a fairly common localisation replacement for something Japanese games do by combining multiple types of charcters, or at least that's what I remember from some Legends of Localisation article I read ages ago. I always thought it looked kind of dumb, it just makes me think of troll typing quirks.

Garon's 1-3 range makes sense with his weirdly stretchy arms, but he can also attack from this far away even when he's a regular guy in Birthright. I don't remember what Bolverk's ranged attack looks like...

Dragonskin provides no resistance against Draconic Hex, so Corrin can easily set up a kill for someone deserving. Who gets it, Ophelia Dusk or Camilla?

It is Camilla's Quest after all. Ophelia is helping with Heartseeker so it is a team effort!

Garon has no special boss conversation for anyone but Corrin, not even Xander. It's a little disappointing.

She's the king now.

There we go! Garon is dead, Hoshido and Nohr are saved. The game is over and everything is okay. There are no more challenges to overcome, and certainly no enemies with both Staff Savant and Inevitable End here to ruin my day.

All the prisoners I took, like Haitaka, and Jin the generic Archer, and... nope I think that's it. Sakura who?

Oh no, it's Betrayal. I thought his name was Possessed?

Takumi is back, and he's here to kill Conquest. That's no exaggeration, I feel as if this last map has ended a lot of people's runs. There really is no shame in lowering the difficulty or just stopping here if you want, this next map is not fun.

Thank you Azura. I wouldn't have worked that out on my own.

Next time: Suffering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

midnight lasagna posted:

Fitting with the horrible and strange reality the Nohrian siblings have been suddenly faced with, this map is weird. This chapter is romhack levels of strange, and I don't mean it as an insult - I think it's genuinely interesting. You also have to replay it every time you fail the endgame map immediately after so any goodwill towards it will evaporate extremely quickly.

The secret to not having to replay this map over and over lies in Fates's option to change difficulty between chapters. I very definitely recommend you swap from Classic to Casual before attempting this for the sake of your sanity - even if you're resetting every time a unit dies, Casual allows you to make permenant map saves at any time. Endgame is one of the cruellest maps in all of Fire Emblem history and forcing you to replay the map before it between every attempt suuuucks. Making a map save on turn 1 isn't quite the same as letting you access battle preperations before the map, but it's close enough to save you a lot of grief.

...or you could use savestates. Savestates on your legitimate copy of Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest for the Nintendo 3DS.

I'm so mad right now.