Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Takumi being possessed is probably the stupidest plot contrivance in Conquest. Like it causes way less plot holes and is way less emphasized, but on the other hand - the guy already hates Corrin, he has perfectly valid reasons to want to kill you. From his perspective, you killed Ryoma. He also thinks Hinoka is dead and I really doubt 'no seriously uhhh shes fine' would fly with him.

It's like a complete refusal to let a character have even reasonable character flaws which is a shame because Takumi is otherwise the most competent bit of conquest writing-wise, his slow descent from 'reasonably mad at the guys invading his country' to 'completely unhinged' is actually reasonably well done until they turn him into angry goop man two at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

One more for the road. What a mess this story was.

And, y'know, well working the game.

Malah
May 18, 2015

What could be so bad about the next map? We've already seen drat near every bit of sadism the devs could wring out of ...

midnight lasagna posted:

enemies with both Staff Savant and Inevitable End
Oh.

:byodood:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Changing it to casual at the very end is the true secret to handling those last two chapters. That allows you to make a save state during the start of the next chapter and allow you to actually progress without screaming in pure rage every time some bullshit fucks you over more then the usual amount. Also those fuckers marching through the center are bad enough to deal with on Hard so of course they made them so much worse in Lunatic.

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
Oh wow, I wish I had figured out I could change the difficulty to set a save at the start of endgame. I eventually gave up on beating it since every retry involved beating the map before.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I do like that he’s still possessed (or at least being mind controlled by Iago) in Birthright. It underlined that yeah, this isn’t maybe a AHH I HATE CORRIN thing, it’s a personal weakness. Not that I used him since Mozu exists and isn’t a pineapple man, so his level 17 archer stats don’t scare me, but they tried.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

This is the only game in the series where I accepted beating a game with a dead guy. RIP Arthur and your "fists of justice" forged killer axe: I could have saved you, but S rank staves were locked to butler for God knows what reason.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Endorph posted:

Takumi being possessed is probably the stupidest plot contrivance in Conquest. Like it causes way less plot holes and is way less emphasized, but on the other hand - the guy already hates Corrin, he has perfectly valid reasons to want to kill you. From his perspective, you killed Ryoma. He also thinks Hinoka is dead and I really doubt 'no seriously uhhh shes fine' would fly with him.

It's like a complete refusal to let a character have even reasonable character flaws which is a shame because Takumi is otherwise the most competent bit of conquest writing-wise, his slow descent from 'reasonably mad at the guys invading his country' to 'completely unhinged' is actually reasonably well done until they turn him into angry goop man two at the end.

It is annoying that they have to resort to a supernatural explanation for one guy disliking Corrin when he's perfectly within his right to hate them and blame them for all of what's happened. I would say that they needed him to have something to make him threatening as the final boss since otherwise he's just the same guy who's rear end you've been kicking all game showing up to get his rear end kicked one more time, but there's probably some lore they could make up to justify a superpowered magical thing to make him more powerful for one last confrontation. Berkut managed to do it while still being responsible for his actions at the peak of his madness... Takumi barely survives his fall from the wall and makes some deal with a figurative devil to get magical powers, mirroring Corrin siding with an evil (Nohr) to achieve what they consider the greater good, I dunno. It would let Takumi's hate be genuine and not stem from an outside influence but also still allow him to show up at the end as a destructive force that cannot be reasoned with?

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Wake up, Corrin! Turns out it was all a dream. Being kidnapped by a foreign king and raised as his daughter in a remote castle? Large conflicts with deadly weapons that result in 0 casualties? Inevitable End and Staff Savant? It was all a little too hard to believe.

Just kidding, Corrin got shot a bunch and now she's on a near death spiritual journey. All the allies we deployed last chapter are here to cheer her on to bring her back from the brink. Surely "old friend" isn't what you'd call your wife...

Turns out Takumi's effectively dead too, there's just a monster puppeting his body. Presumably the fall off of the great wall killed the last part of his true self. I can buy that in death Takumi can let go of his feelings of hatred towards Corrin and be willing to work with her for the greater good, but the rest of this scene is dumb. I had some more to say on the subject but beating the dead horse of Conquest's terrible plot isn't what this LP was made for so I'll leave it at that.

Now it's time to wake up and take the Fujin Yumi and remake Shadow Yato out of it. It looks way cooler, can I keep it?

Alright! That's the plot out of the way. I said I wouldn't complain about that too much. What I will complain about is this last map: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this map! It sucks! Why would you not put a save point before the most difficult challenge of the game??? I love Conquest for all of its flaws and I'm willing to defend some of its more contentious gameplay decisions, but this is just pointless frustration that ruins what might otherwise be a fun map. I can kind of understand not letting you save before final boss maps that consist of a battle against a single enemy, just to make fishing for lucky crits against a single opponent a less viable strategy, but this is a full map that throws many obstacles at you you will not not have seen before and cannot predict just by looking at the prep screen. Even on Hard mode this map is a nightmare.

At least it's fairly short. This map is one long hallway with a boss you have to defeat at the end. Or well technically 2 bosses, but one is a replica of the other, it shares the same HP pool and stats as its clone. Various powerful enemies block the way, including some hiding in side paths with terrain that you cannot traverse but they can. The enemies themselves are all level 20 with some capped stats, but compared to what you've already been fighting they're not so bad. What is bad is the status staves, and I'll get to those.

The boss itself is Takumi, or at this point what is essentially Takumi's possessed corpse. He's a Sniper standing on normal terrain who doesn't move. In a vaccuum that's not very threatening, and even with his pair-up I'm pretty sure statwise he's the weakest boss of all 3 routes.

Rescue skipping or not, the goal of this chapter is to rush Takumi as soon as possible before you get overwhelmed by 5 flavours of hell. He might not be particularly imposing compared to the big scary dragons you fight in the other 2 routes, but he's got some skills to mess you up.

Skadi is a 1-4 range bow that Replicates the user, allowing Takumi to boost his own stats and benefit from both forms of pair-up thanks to his ability. This means he can dual attack and dual guard at the same time like in Awakening. What's even more annoying is that this also activates his personal skill, giving him extra damage and crit. Although in a rare example of mercy Skadi reduces his crit rate, effectively counteracting the crit bonus his skill gives him.

He's also got a few other skills. Dragonskin makes Corrin your best bet at defeating him. Vengeance makes him a lot more dangerous when on low HP. Draconic Hex makes him nerf his attacker, and Lifetaker exists to make throwing warm bodies at him to chip down his HP less of a viable strategy.

All easy strategies for this map involve using a variety of movement boosting methods to speed one attacker to Takumi and take him out in one round. This usually involves Corrin and the Shadow Yato, but other methods like Berserker Camilla, a magic-stacked Ophelia, or even Spendthrift Mozu can work too. The threshold for cleanly 1 rounding him with Corrin I believe is 76 effective might with the Shadow Yato, but with less they can still hope for a crit or skill activation to make up the difference.

These are Taco's "real" stats without boosts, although the map ends when one of his clones dies so in practice they're meaningless. All of his non-defensive stats are lower here than they were in Chapter 23.

Oh and every 2 turns (as opposed to 3 on lower difficulties), Takumi will blast your entire army for approximately 50% of their max HP in damage unless they're hiding behind walls created by these dragon veins. These attacks are non-lethal but they do make survival even harder, and the walls that block them will also block your movement and are destroyed with each attack. I don't know why they thought this was necessary on top of everything else.

Enfeeble! Staff Savant! Inevitable End! This map is already fast paced enough that getting -4 in each stat is deadly, but what if that staff had 3 more range? What if getting hit twice gave you -8? What if it never ran out of uses??? What if there were 5 of these assholes and between them were guys with Freeze and Hexing Rods? What if you pretended the game ended after Chapter 27 and turned your 3DS off.

This is the range of staff users in this map. If you get hit by one of them you are likely getting hit by a load, and if you're Enfeebled enough then you are basically dead for the rest of the map. This is what the Silence staff in Chapter 25 is for. And even then you've only got 1...

This Maid in between 3 Enfeeble users has Freeze, and some staff users behind her also overlap her range. Take her out and you don't have to worry about getting frozen by any other enemy, but good luck actually getting to her.

This happy fellow also has a Hexing Rod, and his two pals ahead of him have Enfeeble too. The Maids ahead of them are just off screen, but they are close and their ranges do overlap.

This is how far their range extends. Taking out all 4 Maids will require you to put multiple units in Enfeeble and Hex range. I'm sure doing this is possible without any staves of your own, but good luck figuring that out when every death sets you back 10-15 minutes!!!

Oh and these guys have Inevitable End too. Why would they not?

Hiding in the wings are more enemies who will advance on you as you progress. From turn 4 and onwards, infinite Faceless reinforcements will also spawn from the sides with Counter, Inevitable End, and the unique Self-Destruct which causes them to explode and deal heavy damage to you if you don't defeat them after they attack, also destroying any nearby barriers. The purpose of these guys is to force you to play fast and not turtle - I don't think the developers actually intended you to be fighting them.

As for how the developers intended you to do the rest of this map, uhh... Well search "Conquest Endgame 1 turn" on Youtube. Or 2 turns if you only have the one Rescue staff.

Like I said before, at least the map itself is short! With the power of map saves I will try my best to come up with a solution that does not involve skipping the entire map with a solution I found online, but if push comes to shove I will do just that. This map sucks complete rear end and is a sour note on a game I otherwise genuinely like, I almost wish I could just not play it and end the thread here so "Conquest is bad" wouldn't be everyone's takeaway from this LP. Alas...

Just like chapters 25 and 26, I'm splitting this into two different updates. I'll see you on the other side...

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
On Hard you can legit fight your way through this map and I usually do. Lunatic turns it into absolute hell.

I still don't understand why they didn't let you save before the endgame maps in Fates. It really sours the finish of the game if you don't get it right on your first try.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
This chapter is what made me hate Conquest and Fates for the rest of time.

The no save decision is bafflingly stupid. The map is just brutally hard with nothing interesting to it because your movement is so restricted.

I beat this entire game on Lunatic Classic, completely blind, without losing anyone to this point and this single chapter burnt me out so badly that I didn't touch a Fire Emblem game again for upwards of three years.

I understand people enjoying Conquest but I just want to throw this stupid, stupid piece of garbage in their face every time.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Some more :eng101: because I care about this game way too much.

Unlike most other Fire Emblem games where boss variants of player characters are separate character slots, Takumi here is the same slot as player Takumi. There's a flag that applies the EeEeEeEvil Anankos glow to a character, and applying it to Takumi (or Scarlet :smith: ) changes their portrait.

Neither Skadi nor Bolverk are prf weapons! If you hack them in, they'll both work as just S-Rank weapons. No Replicate on Skadi, but that's fine.

Speaking of Skadi, the Heirs of Fate DLC also features the possessed corpse of... every Gen 1 Fates Father, and while most of them are holding generic weapons, Takumi is holding Skadi! Kinda! It's a renamed Fujin Yumi, but the thought is nice!

Gooron has unique animations, but Nohrian King Garon reuses Armor animations. If he kills one of your units, he does a little dance. He's not armor-weak, though. He's not even monster-weak.

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
I thought this map was bad on hard.

What the gently caress.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Frozenzen posted:

I thought this map was bad on hard.

What the gently caress.

This is my reaction too, holy poo poo. The furthest I've gotten in Lunatic is Chapter 11, and this LP has kept making me go back and forth if I want to try a Lunatic run on this game again or not.

At least the final chapter here has a great theme, if you're not bothered by the leitmotif one last time.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I think the general *idea* is fine. They just threw way too many staff users in there to be reasonable and overlapped their ranges too much.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The real problem is that there's a real lack of reasonable counterplay. For some forsaken reason, they removed the Restore staff. So you can't fix any of the debuffs/hexing/freezing that happens on a map, and it's really obnoxious.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Time to load up on tonics and hope for the best. I wonder if it's healthy to take this much medicine at once.

Nina's going to fill her inventory with as many gold bars as possible. Every time I talk about gold bars and iventory space I want to make a New Vegas joke but I can never think of anything good enough.

With Gunter's support and like 10 bottles of tonic, Corrin should be able to one round Takumi easily. Getting to him however will be a little trickier... A couple of Enfeebles would easily counterract all of these buffs so for her own safety she'll have to hang back until she can make her move.

Unless you're going for 1 turn clear, your positioning on turn 1 doesn't really matter. You're fairly safe making a map save on turn 1 so long as you've got everyone you want on the map, since if you're playing it safe you most likely won't be moving very far anyway. Regardless I've put all my good units at the front and support ones at the back. Almost everybody is unpaired initially and will only be paired up as I need them to be.

Time for Azura to sing her forbidden song... It's the exact same one you've been hearing all game! Except this time it's being enchanted by her pendant to have special powers. The final map of each route is the same song but with Azura singing different lyrics. It's no Id: Purpose or God-Shattering Star, but it's certainly not bad. Having the final map's song actually be sung by a character in-game is a pretty neat idea.

Demon Takumi is upset because his sister is singing a song that makes him lose his magical powers. Unfortunately this doesn't actually do anything in-game. Can Azura sing a song that disables enemy skills like Staff Savant? Ocean's Grey Waves seems to be multi-purpose, I'm sure there's a Silence effect in that magical pendant somewhere.

The plan: get as close as possible to Takumi and then speed Corrin to him and kill him in one round. The closer I can get, the less reliant I have to be on perfectly optimised Rescue chains. First obstacle are these Maids and these Onis - I can send someone in to neutralise the Maids, but I need her tougher bodyguards lured so I can take them out.

Dwyer Silences the closest Enfeeble Maid to create a safe approach for the rest of my squad. He's only got 4 uses of this, but I doubt I'll be sticking around long enough for running out to be an issue. If he misses here I can dance him, but the miss chance still sucks.

Ophelia steps forward to lure the nearest enemies. She will get frozen here, but she won't get Enfeebled. I'm hoping I can at the very least get close enough to take out one Maid before I start my advance...

The rest of my army waits just out of range. I accept that some of my units are going to get Enfeebled a little, but until they need to enter its range they should stay back.

There we go. I could have maybe left someone with less resistance in range to take the fall instead, but it's too late now.

Even with -20% to her avoid they still struggle to hit her. She is pretty great.

Most of the initial pressure comes from the enemies waiting in the wings on either side. Unfortunately the terrain they're standing on is inaccessible to everyone, even fliers, so I can't take the fight to them. I'm going to have to block them off if I want to keep advancing.

Takumi alternates between charging his AoE and using it each turn. Considering how hard this chapter is and how many anti-turtling mechanics it has, I really don't know why they thought they needed this on top of everything else.

Only one barrier per column is enough to block everyone behind it from taking damage, but they will be destroyed after each wave and eventually the self-destructing Faceless will start taking them out as well. They cover every column but the far left and right, which unfortunately are the columns I need to occupy to block the flanking units from the side...

Once again the Enfeeble Maid takes a Silence. I wish I had at least one more of this staff but you only get the one.

Silas is in range to take an Enfeeble here but there's no avoiding it. I don't think it's possible to advance through this map without someone taking a staff hit unless you're skipping the whole map in a turn.

Oh, Camilla does have Swordbreaker! I forgot I gave it to her. Seems like she's an obvious candidate to block off this path.

Xander will help out. He's not effective at killing the Heroes, but he's tanky enough to not die from them. These two don't get pair-up partners, I want as many units available as possible.

This isn't the best use of Spendthrift but who cares about conserving at this point. Nina won't be able to counterattack these Onmyoji, but her res is high enough to tank them.

This looks much nicer! The green zone is still a mess of debuffs, but at least my units who enter it won't get killed.

If I can put Nina or Ophelia here then they can take out the Maid while only being in range of Ninjas they should be able to get WTA on. They'll also be in range of two different Enfeeble users, but that's okay.

Takumi unleashes his AoE... This does 50% of max HP to everyone it hits. I wish it hit the enemies too, that'd make things easier.

Peri takes the first Enfeeble. No idea why, she's not in range of any enemies.

Silas takes the second. I might have been in trouble had they targeted any of my units blocking the two side paths.

And lastly, Dwyer gets frozen to the spot. He doesn't need legs to do his job!

Oh yikes, I think either of these two could have been killed if they had gotten hit with Enfeeble! I might have underestimated how much pair-up helps even the odds against endgame enemies.

Time to take out the first of these staff users. Ophelia will be in range of two Enfeeble staves and two Master Ninjas...

Very nice of her to crit and keep her dual guard gauge.

Jakob grabs a Fortify and tops everyone up. This staff only gets 2 uses and it costs a lot, it honestly was a bit of a waste to buy.

Entrapping this General is a vital part of Rescue skip strategies, he blocks off access to the boss and is very hard to actually kill through Wary Fighter. Grabbing him will aggro his buddies allowing me to take them out, so maybe I should do it?

No reason not to I guess. I've got Nina and Elise with Lightning to finish him off.

Good to know I've got a clean route to the boss if things go south. And they very probably will!

Now to Silence the Freeze user. Ideally I'd Silence the two Enfeeblers as well, but there's only one staff and it's not got many uses left.

Nothing to do but rally up Ophelia. It occurs to me I haven't actually crunched the numbers on her survival...

That's two Enfeebles for -8 to all stats. Shigure's rally half cancels it out...

Oh dear, perhaps I should have sent Nina. These guys do have Poison Strike and Inevitable End...

Ophelia only needed to dodge once to survive, but instead she dodged twice. She also missed one hit and didn't manage to crit, but just surviving is okay.

Takumi's charging up another attack and now I've got these guys to deal with. These enemies on their own don't seem so bad, but keep in mind there's a large group behind them and if I get too close then there's also the Great Masters with their staves as well...

I could take the plunge and start my Rescue chain... I'll have to run the numbers on it though and I'm very bad at working these things out in my head.

Rescuing another Rescue user and then having them Rescue Corrin seems like the ideal strat. You can see why having 2 of these things is useful!

Okay, here's the plan: Silas teams up with Jakob to give him extra movement, Forrest rescues him to get him closer to the boss.

Corrin moves closer too, gets rallied, and gets danced to move even closer...

Jakob moves ahead and rescues her...

...and Corrin moves to the boss. I guess this does count as a rescue skip... Just a slightly less cowardly one that involved a minor amount of pushing forward. Maybe with careful positioning I could have taken out the Master Ninjas and Generals and survived to push forward for a turn more, but between Takumi's aura blast and the reinforcements I didn't want to risk it.

The combined effect of Gunter, tonics, Life and Death, Elbow Room, and Swordfaire are all too much for Takumi to withstand. So many reclassing choices for Corrin were building up to this! All I didn't do was get her movement + 1 to make it even easier to reach him.

Oh no you don't. You've ended your last run, Takumi!

No Vengeance... He wouldn't have killed anyway, but that's good...

BONK

Even his own clone has betrayed him. Look, it's just standing there! No solidarity between Takumis at all.

And then he turned into water. Now who's going to mop this up?

A lovely Rescue skip as an end to a lovely chapter. Maybe if I were to sit down and grind at it for a few hours there would be a way for me to beat this chapter without a single use of Rescue and no deaths, but I'm not masochistic enough to find one. If you want to see a clear of Endgame that does exactly that and does not rely on too much RNG, this video by Zoran shows one off. I'm sure if you apply a filter that turns Ophelia's hair to black you can pretend I did all that.

I've got a few token screenshots of the epilogue I guess I could save for a final post, but otherwise that's it! The evil has been defeated. One terrible final chapter and some endgame fatigue aside, it's been fun. Maybe I'll inclue my final thoughts with the epilogue if I have anything to say. Maybe I'll even update the master post of every chapter I've completed so far, I think that's still on chapter 14. Oh and I have to make links to all my unit analyses too...

So if you take two lessons from this LP, let it be these: Odin is good, and don't do Endgame on Lunatic Classic. Don't even do it on Lunatic Casual if you don't want to, you can swap to Hard and still have a perfectly satisfying ending to a difficult campaign! For all of its faults, I like Conquest Lunatic a lot and don't think it should be ruined by a final chapter that doesn't let you save beforehand and is too overtuned in difficulty.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I don't know much about game design, and certainly have very experience little with actual designing, but the combination of enemy-excluding AoE, unlimited long range status effects and strictly limited ways to prevent them (with no way to actually cure them) feels ouright hostile...

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Loved the LP!

I'm sad we didn't get to see more Selena or any of Soleil but equally I don't blame you for ignoring either of them when you want to LP lunatic conquest and stay sane.

What would be your overall longer term tips for dealing with Conquest in general? We got a very day to day account from the LP but more general ideas of what plans/strategies to hold to would be cool to know.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

This is the only game in the series where I accepted beating a game with a dead guy. RIP Arthur and your "fists of justice" forged killer axe: I could have saved you, but S rank staves were locked to butler for God knows what reason.

Same here. I used a strategy of "push forward a bit, then rescue skip," like midnight lasagna, and Xander managed to eat a bunch of debuffs and draw a bunch of enemies away from blocking the rescue chain path before dying. After carrying most of the run, the most useful thing Xander could do was perish.

Congrats on your clean finish of this hell map, midnight lasagna! It was great seeing the kinds of complicated strategies Conquest Lunatic demands, not just in the map but in unit building.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Thanks for the LP!

Conquest definitely has some good ideas, but I absolutely, maybe purposefully, forgot the absolute worst of it like this last chapter.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Ninja map, fox map, endgame beyond 26 was all misery.

Thank you for the lp! I’ve now finished classic Conquest hard and casual lunatic Birthright, and now I’m onto Revelation. Fuga’s ride loving sucks when you have One flyer!

Malah
May 18, 2015

Impressive strategy! Well done showing off this hellscape!

This map looks like just utter bullshit, wow. The bones of an interesting challenge map are present with nu-Takumi's positioning/timing AOE mechanic, but there just don't seem to be enough tools available to circumvent the forced time limit other than rescue shenanigans. Already putting more thought into making this map fun than the devs seemed to ...

Loosen the time limit by having the faceless blowing up the terrain rather than the walls melting after Takumi's blasts;
Let the player utilize the extra time by actually disarming the debuff death zones via freeze/silence/entrap instead of having to skip through;
Build in a way to blitz through the map by springing entraps in side areas rather than being forced to sit on rescue charges the entire game;
If we're going to be forced through debuff hell anyway, then make it viable (IE on every debuffer is just tedium) or reversible (does reviving with Bifrost undo debuffs? this game needs a Restore staff :wtc:)

But, whatever, Fates design is what it is. Thanks for the LP :)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you remove the hell maids then this would be an okay map. Instead it is just complete bullshit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Thanks for the LP!

And I maintain that butlers and maids are the goddamn weirdest classes I've ever seen in Fire Emblem.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks for the great LP! Your update schedule was monstrous and your narrative voice had a really enjoyable tone. I greatly enjoyed your class swapping shenanigans, and you got me to replay Conquest with a much more creative mindset. Thanks for helping me enjoy the game in a way I didn't realize I could.

Really though gently caress this endgame oh my god

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 24, 2021

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Well done! This LP was fantastic.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

theshim posted:

Well done! This LP was fantastic.

Yes, this was a delight to read. Thank you for sharing you finishing a game I couldn't on a difficulty I didn't even want to attempt.

Also I think youtube found out I was reading this LP and decided to share with me this video of a guy beating Lunatic Birthright with a captured Lancer, which is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv4cZv4nGxA

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That was cool!

It’d be interesting if some future Fire Emblem game were to add an Ironman mode (no take-backs on that save file if a unit dies).

Not on Lunatic, though, hopefully.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Quackles posted:

That was cool!

It’d be interesting if some future Fire Emblem game were to add an Ironman mode (no take-backs on that save file if a unit dies).

Not on Lunatic, though, hopefully.

Not really as it is effectively already in the game and the push for the turnwheel system means that they will be moving in a very different direction.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Just posting to say well done on a very interesting and entertaining LP. Personally I only got up to Ch21 on Conquest Lunatic before throwing in the towel and after having Mila's Turnwheel in SoV I can't bear the thought of playing FE without it (or save states). Was fun to see you rip apart the game with poo poo like Berserker Elise, haha

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
:toot:!

This was fun.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

This was a fun LP, it's really crazy how wild Lunatic gets.

I didn't have too much problems with this on Hard (though I of course had WAY more stress than necessary because it was a consecutive map and i wasnt on casual) but Lunatic may as well be a different game, geeze.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

marshmallow creep posted:

Yes, this was a delight to read. Thank you for sharing you finishing a game I couldn't on a difficulty I didn't even want to attempt.

Also I think youtube found out I was reading this LP and decided to share with me this video of a guy beating Lunatic Birthright with a captured Lancer, which is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv4cZv4nGxA

I wouldn't have thought of using the droppable Vanguard skills from that DLC map to boost generics, that's a clever idea.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

I enjoyed following this quite a bit. You took quite a few approaches to things I'd never thought of and got some good use out of options I'd largely dismissed or ignored, and it's made me want to go back to this and play around with some things once I clear a few things off the backlog. Gonna leave Lunatic Conquest well alone when I do, though, once is still quite enough for me.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Thank you everyone! This was a whole heap of fun and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Some small part of me wants to try "BR is short for "Bring Ryoma"", but I think I'm all Let's Played out for now.

Natural 20 posted:

Loved the LP!

I'm sad we didn't get to see more Selena or any of Soleil but equally I don't blame you for ignoring either of them when you want to LP lunatic conquest and stay sane.

What would be your overall longer term tips for dealing with Conquest in general? We got a very day to day account from the LP but more general ideas of what plans/strategies to hold to would be cool to know.
In another universe I think I would have had fun pairing up Selena and Laslow to make Kinshi Knight Soleil. I do regret not being able to show off everyone, but that's just the way these games are.

I think I could drum up a few bulletpoints. Probably not anything particularly insightful or unsaid in my LP already (or helpful if you yourself already played through the game on lunatic mode), but if I had to give some helpful tips for everyone:
  • Bronze weapons are very valuable and it's worth giving each of your dedicated combat units at least one to carry around. They're weak, but the combination of high accuracy, a +10 crit avoid boost, and the inability to crit or activate skills effectively make them RNG nullifiers. Obviously not getting crit and dying is useful, but knowing that you won't crit also makes it a lot easier to time dual guard procs and let you make chokepoints without accidentally getting units killed through overachieving.
  • Bewteen pair-ups, tonics, meals, and rallies, stat-stacking in this game is very easy and often a great way to deal with certain obstacles, albiet a bit of a boring one. Not every unit has to be an enemy phase juggernaut to contribute, but with the right preperation you can muscle your way through tough enemies with ease. Enemies can't debuff you or mess you up with their skills if they can't survive a round of combat!
  • Keeping units unpaired until they need to be paired is generally the way to go. High movement units can carry combat units to the frontline and fragile ones away from it with ease. Pairing up two units, moving them, and then unpairing at their destination lets you move further and gives you more options at the start of the next turn.
  • The classes with the best combat also tend to be the ones with the best skills. Wyvern Rider, Cavalier, Fighter, and Dark Mage are all great class trees to pass on. Keep potential A+ supports in mind when deciding who to use, and remember that when you enter combat you not only build supports with the unit you're paired up with, but also every unit adjacent to you.
  • Weapon ranks don't just affect what weapons you can wield, but they also provide invisible bonuses. Unfortunately the game never tells you this so you'll have to look at the wiki to find out what they are.
  • The royal siblings aren't just good because they're strong, they also help save on EXP by not requiring any training to get good. It's easy to think of prepromotes as EXP thieves, but it's actually the other way around! Having Camilla on your roster instead of someone else means all the EXP that would have gone into raising them can instead be spread around.

Malah posted:

Impressive strategy! Well done showing off this hellscape!

This map looks like just utter bullshit, wow. The bones of an interesting challenge map are present with nu-Takumi's positioning/timing AOE mechanic, but there just don't seem to be enough tools available to circumvent the forced time limit other than rescue shenanigans. Already putting more thought into making this map fun than the devs seemed to ...

Loosen the time limit by having the faceless blowing up the terrain rather than the walls melting after Takumi's blasts;
Let the player utilize the extra time by actually disarming the debuff death zones via freeze/silence/entrap instead of having to skip through;
Build in a way to blitz through the map by springing entraps in side areas rather than being forced to sit on rescue charges the entire game;
If we're going to be forced through debuff hell anyway, then make it viable (IE on every debuffer is just tedium) or reversible (does reviving with Bifrost undo debuffs? this game needs a Restore staff :wtc:)

But, whatever, Fates design is what it is. Thanks for the LP :)
The final chapter really is a case of simply Too Much poo poo To Deal With. If they removed even one of the obstacles on Lunatic I'm sure it would be much more bearable, but each one feels like the straw that broke the camel's back.

I would assume Bifrost removes debuffs, but come to think of it I'm not sure I ever actually used it? I've never had a case this late in which only one unit dies...

Cythereal posted:

Thanks for the LP!

And I maintain that butlers and maids are the goddamn weirdest classes I've ever seen in Fire Emblem.
They're pretty strange. I think I like them a lot though, weak debuffing weapons combined with a focus on staves seem perfect for a support unit. If only they could promote from a class that didn't lose movement upon promotion...

I'm sure there's a few different spins you could put on a knife and staff wielding class, flavourwise. Witch Doctor, Druid (already taken but that's not stopped them before)... Surgeon?

Chillgamesh posted:

Just posting to say well done on a very interesting and entertaining LP. Personally I only got up to Ch21 on Conquest Lunatic before throwing in the towel and after having Mila's Turnwheel in SoV I can't bear the thought of playing FE without it (or save states). Was fun to see you rip apart the game with poo poo like Berserker Elise, haha
Mila's Turnwheel has made it somewhat hard for me to enjoy the older games... Conquest with Turnwheel mechanics would make me so much more willing to try out riskier strategies that could make the endgame chapters less turtley. I've never had the confidence to go for an all out offensive push in Takumi's Wall, but I've seen people do it...

I'm just disappointed Elise was the only Berserker I ever got to use! Even if it was funny.

Shiny777 posted:

I enjoyed following this quite a bit. You took quite a few approaches to things I'd never thought of and got some good use out of options I'd largely dismissed or ignored, and it's made me want to go back to this and play around with some things once I clear a few things off the backlog. Gonna leave Lunatic Conquest well alone when I do, though, once is still quite enough for me.
That's pretty much the best compliment I could recieve, thank you! Good luck when you do eventually get around to playing it!

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Alright, I guess it's time for me to finally tie a bow on this. Churning out a map or 2 a day might have been fine, but something about my brain chemistry makes going back and editing my content to create an actually useable contents page a herculean task. Probably the same thing that allowed me to binge through multiple routes in 3 Houses in only a few days while at the same time being incapable of ever sorting my character's inventories.

There's no gameplay left but it would feel wrong to just end the LP as I did, so here's a few screenshots from the epilogue and all the paired endings I got.

The answer to that question, and many others, is buy the DLC path. I don't think there's any complete let's play of Rev on the archive right now... I'm not sure there ever will be. I can imagine a potentially fun LP of that game where you download the gay patch and leave all your pairings and class choices up to a viewer vote, but it wouldn't be something I'd like to do personally.

Azura's gone. No explanation as to why, you'll have to play Birthright for that. I don't even remember questioning this on my first playthrough of Conquest, I wonder what I thought happened? Maybe I didn't care.

Azura died on the way to her home planet. If you married Azura (which I imagine a significant amount of players did!) then this line must seem even sillier. Everybody in the royal family is rather blasé about their adoptive sister's sudden disappearence. Maybe nobody really liked her and they're all glad she's gone...

Now Xander gets to be king. It's only fair, he did kind of carry me through the later chapters. Although what happens when Anankos eventually corrupts his mind, too? And then Seigbert's, and then whoever comes after him...

The Hoshidan royal family is here too. I'm a little surprised they wanted to come, but I guess if there's going to be any sort of peace they kind of have to... All the Corrin Haters died so everybody who's left alive will be more willing to co-operate. I wonder if the general populace knows that we killed Garon? And that he was a giant slime boy.

Hinoka gets to be the queen! Is that good? I have no idea! All of the Hinoka supports I've read were really boring so I don't really have a read on her personality besides that she's a warrior princess who's bad at being formal. She seems like a good person?

I think Xander's first new policy as king should be to redecorate the royal palace a little. All the spikes and torture implements kind of give off a bad vibe, it's hard to give a speech on the virtues of peace with all of these things just hanging there.

One last group photo before the end. Incidentally, Camilla and Leo are the only 2 royals to survive the Birthright route. Camilla declines to take the throne and Leo becomes king. They've got childhood trauma for days, Anankos and his mind-corrupting powers would have a field day with the both of them.

Now for the paired endings. Shigure's usefulness as a rallybot sold me on the power of the Jakob / Azura pair, but I do think he joined a little too late to be as useful as he could have been.

Leo unfortunately was a disappointment, but thankfully he was one of the only ones. I feel as if Forrest can do his job no matter who his mum is, but Felicia was helpful as a support partner for Leo when I was actually using him.

Here's disappointment number two. It's a shame I didn't get to show off the awesome power of Sniper Niles, but Nina carried the torch for him instead. I had completely forgotten that Mozu's kids inherit Villager and not Archer, but it all worked out fine in the end.

Odin left Fatesland behind with only self-insert fanfic remaining as historical record. I guess Nyx came too? Sitting her on the Hoshidan throne would probably have cured her non-aging curse...

Odin was good for the first half of the game. With investment he easily could have continued through to the second half, but Ophelia did his job much better. Nyx!Ophelia might be worse than Elise!Ophelia in almost every single way, but she did all that she needed to do.

This was the only second gen pairing I managed to do. How are they going to explain Seigbert's existence to the public? Does the general populace know about the deeprealms? Maybe it's best to pretend all the child units in this game are non-canon...

If Owain came back to his world with his whole family I think Lissa would be extremely confused. Not only does she now have a daughter-in-law, a grandaughter, and a grandson-in-law, she'd most likely assume that Nyx is the daughter and Ophelia is Owain's wife and be very confused when that's not the case. This whole family tree is a bit messed up.

I do wish I could have paired Kaze with Charlotte and Keaton with Camilla. Maybe with better planning I could have? I'd say that giving up her title to be a housewife is a lame ending for Camilla, but if you read all her backstory then getting to have a nice normal family and not need to kill anyone else is probably the best ending for her and her sanity. Camilla's Quest is at long last over...

Wyvern Elise kicked rear end. Maybe she could have kicked even more rear end with an Odin backpack, but she certainly didn't need him to be great. I'd like to think she somehow stole the intrinsic ability to wield staves regardless of class from Iago's corpse.

Queen Peri probably had so many people executed for entirely trivial reasons. It's a bit hard to take the ending seriously knowing she's the next queen of Nohr...

I'd complain about the literal main character being reduced to a footnote in her husband's epilogue, but it does kind of fit with how I was playing the game. A significant amount of her talent was wasted on being a support partner for a loser who WOULD NOT GET DEFENSE. I don't care if he was blessed in literally every other stat!!! Peri wouldn't have done this to me.

Yeah that's it I guess. All I need to do is collect all the links for the second post and then send this off to the archive?

I'm not good at endings or retrospectives or anything, but I enjoyed this LP. Conquest's a fun game and I glad I got to show it off. Seems like a lot of people were inspired to start their own playthroughs of this game, and that makes me really happy! Lunatic mode might not be for everyone (in some of the later chapters I don't even think it was for me!), but there's so much weird and wonderful stuff you can do with the mechanics of this game and I couldn't think of a better environment for me to show it off. Would I want every Fire Emblem game to play like this one? Nah. But I do hope people can remember Conquest, and Fates in general, as more than just the game with the terrible plot and the babyrealms... And if even one more person now realises that Odin can be useful then that's good enough for me.

Like I said I'm bad at endings so uhhhh

bye

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Thanks for the fun LP!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yes, thats the thread ending fates deserves. :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:golfclap: