Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Fortunately I started the series with Three Houses and don't at present have a 3DS, so unless this or Awakening or what have you gets ported to the Switch I'm in no danger.

I don't even know what's going on in Fates beyond the horror stories, tbh. The only proper LP of it on SA that I can think of that got anywhere was a video LP, which is a format I dislike intensely for a game like this.

The abandoned screenshot LP (requires archive?) is complete for Birthright and Conquest, just petering out at the end of Revelations. It's quite similar to the Awakening LP on the LP Archive by the same poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

midnight lasagna posted:

Off-site Screenshot test poster

To keep massive SSLP test posts off site to save on killing browsers. This won't match the forums exactly but it should be close enough.

Normal bbcode and all smilies are supported.

Mum.

you might have copypasted more than you intended at the beginning :v:

on a different note, just had an idle thought wondering if any of the class-change FEs would make for a good "bad classes only" LP or if it would just be painful or a dull slog or something

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

FoolyCharged posted:

Well in such a sad world goddess icons suffer their other clear use: getting pawned off to buy something that's actually useful.
Surely you mean "pawned off to become gold I'm too afraid to spend and never use"? My hoarding complex has layers

Walla posted:

Bow Knights are pretty drat busted in this game. Ch. 8 BK Felicia does what Niles does on that map, except better. With a Corrin pair up she can solo the entire map if you wish and it will be a long time before any enemy catches up to her in speed so she will be doubling forever. She puts in more work in Ch. 10 than Jakob does, she makes short work of Cheve and the Opera House and she's your best hope of having Shuriken Breaker for Ninja Cave without reclassing Camilla or pumping more experience than is feasible into someone else. Also her personal skill is even better for Corrin's survivability.

I've never bothered to raise her sword rank since she still dies in 2 hits and I have better uses for Arms Scrolls. Just reclass her in Ch. 8 with a bronze bow and watch her wreck poo poo.

Nyx will never be good. Dark Knight Nyx is useful for all of 3 chapters and makes a good wife glued to Odin or Leo but that's about it. But Nyx can make for a great utility unit, especially if you've already reclassed your first servant. Outlaw Nyx will have similar speed to Niles at the same level which means she can one round every unpaired pegasus in Chapter 10. Adventurer Nyx will give you a powerful staff bot who can kill any flier and will make better use of the Shining Bow than even Niles. It's not a power move, but if you want to use Nyx you can spend the resources to do so. Adventurer Nyx absolutely wants Arms Scrolls, and using her means you might lose out on a Ninja or Bow Knight who can potentially put in more work. But if you need a healer and rescue bot for Ch. 10, it's not a wrong move.

And honestly, I'd almost rather have Outlaw Nyx for Ch. 10 than Archer Mozu, since Nyx will be more immediately useful there.
Huh, interesting. I could absolutely see a Bow Knight helping out in chapter 10. I turned Selena into one immediately on one playthrough where I had no intention of using her in the longterm, but she mostly spent that chapter glued to the ballista.

That's pretty much my assessment of Nyx tbh. A surpsingly good choice for an early promote who can be a helpful support partner for a magic unit and decent support as an Outlaw type class. I do think she is capable of combat that make her useful offensively for a decent amount of time (so long as she doesn't get hit...), but the beauty of Fates's mechanics is that there's a lot of room for support units, even if a lot of that support is being the rear end of a defensive pair-up.

Am looking forward to more takes if you've got them. If you or anyone else has any more I'll put them up with my own unit analyses when I get around to making them.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I don't like Conquest. Or Fates in general but Conquest is especially an exercise in frustration.

Some good rear end maps (Chapter 10 especially) but having to deal with Shurikens and Swap all the time just isnt for me .

Also worth noting for people who have only played Three Houses (or Echoes) that this is the last Fire Emblem game without a rewind feature. So if you gently caress up and get a unit killed on Classic you have to restart the whole map and that really sucks on some of the later Chapters that are long af and full of strong enemies.
A sensible option that i'm admittedly too proud to try is playing on Casual mode which allows for map saves that don't get deleted when you reload them. So long as you reload when a unit dies it's basically the same as Classic but with less frustration. I'd much rather play Fates without map saves than I would a theoretical 3 Houses that didn't have them though, that game is full of ambush spawns and bosses with insanely high crit rates like the Death Knight who feel like they exist to waste your divine pulses and nothing else.

Cythereal posted:

Fortunately I started the series with Three Houses and don't at present have a 3DS, so unless this or Awakening or what have you gets ported to the Switch I'm in no danger.

I don't even know what's going on in Fates beyond the horror stories, tbh. The only proper LP of it on SA that I can think of that got anywhere was a video LP, which is a format I dislike intensely for a game like this.
I absolutely recommend the LP ajkalan posted (and I've got in the OP), even if it's unfinished. It covers the story in full detail and if you want you can read the thread itself to see all the reactions people had to this game's plot too. They were... not good.

biosterous posted:

you might have copypasted more than you intended at the beginning :v:

on a different note, just had an idle thought wondering if any of the class-change FEs would make for a good "bad classes only" LP or if it would just be painful or a dull slog or something
oops

I've done playthroughs like that before and they're a lot of fun, especially when "bad classes" turn out to be weirdly effective. An (unfinished) attempt at a terrible classes run of 3 Houses gave me a Fortress Knight Lysithea who kicked rear end despite barely getting anywhere past the class's minimum base stats, it really made me appreicate how useful a class with a minimum of 27 defense can be.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

The path is yours! Just kidding, it's actually mine. And I decided where we were going before I even made the thread.

I think I picked the worst possible frame to screenshot this, the Hoshidan side looks very goofy. This could be Nohrian propaganda if I photoshopped some flies and stink lines onto Ryoma.

The choice here isn't actually "do you want to side with your birth family or your adoptive one" (they're not even your birth family!), it's "do you want the harder route or the easier one". And unless you bought the complete edition the choice will have already been decided the moment you bought the game. I have no plans to play Birthright or Revelation (that's Revelation singular, there's no s!!!!!), but I'll give my opinions anyway.

Birthright was advertised as a more casual game meant to appeal to fans of Awakening, as opposed to Conquest which functions more like the average Fire Emblem game where you go through maps in order with no world map or repeatable chapters to grind levels in between. The map design is a lot more simple and tends more towards big open fields with large amounts of weak enemies, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I'm not a fan of it. Every chapter with one exception is either a rout or a defeat boss objective. I'd argue that Birthright's lunatic mode is a little easier than Conquest's hard mode, although there's a rather big difficulty spike from chapter 23 onward that can be very punishing if you don't just cheese every map with Ryoma.

Revelation is... controversial. It's pretty much a "golden" route where you can recruit (almost, with some arbitrary exceptions) the entire cast and have Nohrian units support Hoshidan ones. Every single chapter has some kind of gimmick (except, ironically enough, the one gimmick map that's present in all three routes), all of which range from tedious to downright unfun. The distribution of units is massively frontloaded with Hoshidan characters and unit balance is all over the place, with half the cast joining underleveled with atrocious stats. Difficulty wise it's about halfway between BR and CQ, although it actually has the highest enemy stats of any route - enemies on Rev's hard mode will outrank their equivalents on CQ's lunatic mode. This combined with the fact that almost your entire army besides Corrin will suck until you start recruiting royals makes the earlygame a huge slog on higher difficulties.

Anyway who cares about those games I ain't playing em

The sakura blossoms have gone and now it's all dark roses. The suddenly evil colour scheme combined with "embrace the dark" gives you an immediate feeling of "did I just make a terrible decision?"

I'm sorry Ryoma, but Corrin's alligiance now lies with the purple. It's time to finish what Purple Guy started.

Jakob is now back from his union-mandated break. For all of its many flaws, Nohr is a country of social mobility, so I'd like to imagine their labour laws are pretty good too. Unfortunately he couldn't follow us to Hoshido and grab any cool 2-range healing rods, but at least he returns with a completely replinished Heal staff!

You know we're on the Conquest route now because the map objectives start getting funny. Defeat 4 enemies is 1 enemy away from a rout. but there's a reason you don't have to defeat every enemy...

That reason is to give you a choice to not have to fight one of these two. Your options are Ryoma, who's high stats make him a huge threat to everyone but Xander, and Sakura, who's far away and not worth very much EXP. And also a defenseless Cleric, but war crimes are okay because this is the evil route.

All 4 Hoshidan royals are our opponent this map, along with their tactician Yukimura. To help fight them, we've temporarily got the Norhian siblings on our side too, albiet weaker versions of what they'll eventually be when they join us for real. This Xander isn't playing around like last time, he's brought his 1-2 range laser sword. I just noticed his HP stat is actually higher than normal, I guess to let him survive 2 hits from Ryoma?

Xander's stranded on the opposite side of the river to fight Ryoma, but these three are all available to help take down the non-Ryoma enemies on this map. This Elise I'm pretty sure has the exact same stats she'll be joining with in chapter 7, but don't be fooled by the heavily nerfed Camilla and Leo - their actual stats will be much better.

Oh and Corrin got a Dragonstone so she can turn into a big beastie whenever she likes. It seems like her breath experience from last chapter turned into stone experience? That would make sense.

14 might is absolutely absurd for a magic weapon, and it comes with an assortment of stat boosts and drops that turn Corrin into a slow tanky unit. The lack of 2 range and big speed drop along with an inability to double attack limit the longterm viability of a dragon Corrin, but the stone is still an incredibly potent tool in the earlygame, both offensively and defensively. Expect to see a lot of cool OHKOs with this thing.

Also I had to chuck out my vulnerary to carry this thing. Whoops! Oh and she's also got the Yato which is like a steel katana but a little weaker and more accurate. Katanas boost speed by 1 and lower defensive stats by 1 when equipped, so Corrin's now got two weapons that both alter her stats in opposite ways. Hoshidan versions of swords/lances/axes etc. all come with weird stat boosts and drops to differentiate them from Nohrian ones.

It's easy to lure the Hoshidan units one by one to gang up on them with our own family. Only Corrin and Jakob are capable of earning EXP here so I'd prefer either one to make the finishing blows.

I hope you're ready to kick Takumi's butt! Because his butt will refuse to remain kicked. This guy might even be worse than Hubert from 3 Houses, jerk just does not stay defeated.

Camilla and Leo are both mixed attackers, for a generous definiton of "mixed". Obviously an axe is going to be more useful than magic against a Sky Knight even in a game without Fates's weapon triangle, but Camilla is less of a mixed attacker and more an axe-wielding maniac who does some light reading on the side.

Leo was... not the one I expected to hit in this altercation.

Leo's Heartseeker skill lets him lower a unit's avoid just by standing next to them. Accuracy boosting or avoid lowering abilties can be very helpful to make the most of your units. The most powerful weapons also tend to be the ones that couldn'd hit the broad side of a barn.

Magic! Speed! This will help Jakob... heal faster.

Elise's Freeze staff will have its uses replenished when she joins for real, so feel free to use it pranking your other older brother by tying his shoelaces together. A frozen unit loses both the ability to move and a hefty chunk of their avoid. The bitter irony is however you have to actually be able to hit a unit with the Freeze staff in order to do that.

75% is a respectable increase from Xander's usual 55% hit chance against his counterpart. Both his offensive and defensive stats are superior, but he's got to actually hit his attacks to win the fight.

Things aren't so great for Xander on enemy phase, where Ryoma's Duelist Blow and +30% avoid come into play. If he weren't frozen Xander would have barely any chance to hit at all...

...for example. Elise's aim is almost as bad as her brother's!

23 attack! That's not quite feral dragon power levels, but it sure feels good. A +mag Corrin can deal some truly absurd damage to earlygame enemies with their magic dragon headbutts.

bonk

That could have gone a lot more painfully. If you're really desperate to farm EXP then you can drain the riverbed using a nearby dragon vein, letting Ryoma be approached by the rest of your army. A good Corrin can potentially deal the finishing blow, but not without severe risk of missing and getting owned on counterattack.

Darkness embraced in record time. Nice.

A lovingly crafted cinematic plays shortly after, establishing us as having truly committed to the path of Nohr. This grumpy santa is the guy we're fighting in service of. Is redemption possible for Ganondad, or will we have to defeat our own father for the sake of our country...?

Just kidding you'll never find out the answer to any of that, this game is now a city management sim. Garon demands more medium density commercial zones!!!

Next time: We cut back on transport funding to bulldoze Nohr's affordable low-income housing and replace it with a golf course

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ah yes Yukimura, who so far as Conquest is concerned is the true 4th Royal of Hoshido

I played Birthright first and my friend played Conquest first and he was baffled when I told him that Yukimura basically didn't exist on my route and you just get him at the tail end of the game through the My Castle management.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

midnight lasagna posted:

Surely you mean "pawned off to become gold I'm too afraid to spend and never use"? My hoarding complex has layers

Huh, interesting. I could absolutely see a Bow Knight helping out in chapter 10. I turned Selena into one immediately on one playthrough where I had no intention of using her in the longterm, but she mostly spent that chapter glued to the ballista.

That's pretty much my assessment of Nyx tbh. A surpsingly good choice for an early promote who can be a helpful support partner for a magic unit and decent support as an Outlaw type class. I do think she is capable of combat that make her useful offensively for a decent amount of time (so long as she doesn't get hit...), but the beauty of Fates's mechanics is that there's a lot of room for support units, even if a lot of that support is being the rear end of a defensive pair-up.

Am looking forward to more takes if you've got them. If you or anyone else has any more I'll put them up with my own unit analyses when I get around to making them.

I'll try to save future thoughts for when we get the units. You can do some fun things with Selena as well.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

For the sake of not dragging out updates I'm going to be doing my unit analyses in-between chapters, alongside any My Castle content that would bloat any update I tried to include it in. I'll also be doing little writeups for each class because why not. This rapid pace of updating proooobably isn't going to continue for much longer when things start getting complicated, so don't get used to it : p

I didn't explain it before, but My Castle is where we'll be spending time between chapters. It's where you buy weapons, items, forge stuff, etc. Each Castle gets one random ore and one random food item associated with its route. Emeralds are used to forge bows, Milk is used to cook dishes that temporarily increase speed. Without access to other castles it's pretty difficult, but not impossible, to get other resources.

Feeding milk to Lilith, our friendly dragon/fish/maid, boosts her stats and will occassionally reward you with a gift of gold. Lilith can't be deployed in regular battle but she will appear as a green unit in optional battles within our castle. According to my own ruleset there are exactly 3 times I can do battle in my own castle. In all of those cases I expect Lilith to instantly get destroyed by enemies so as to not waste any of my EXP!

I had a choice between a weapons shop and a staff store, and I went with the weapon store. Someone's going to want this Bronze Axe for later... but who?

Corrin & Jakob grab a C support they unlocked during the game's early chapters. Seeing as the two of them are currently my only playable units, they'd better get along...

Here they are, the gruesome twosome. Corrin is a little slow but doing quite well in her magic. Jakob... seems fine? I don't know if he'll be seeing much more combat but I know he's gotten some nice stats.

---

Now that Corrin has reached her true potential as a human/dragon hybrid, it's time for a litte summary of the Nohr Princess class!

Nohr Princess
Promotes into: Nohr Noble
Swords (B), Dragonstones (B)
Base stats: 17 HP, 7 STR, 3 MAG, 4 SKL, 5 SPD, 2 LCK, 5 DEF, 2 RES, 5 MOV
Growths: 15% HP, 15% STR, 10% MAG, 10% SKL, 10% SPD, 10% LCK, 10% DEF, 5% RES
Skills: Nobility (20% more EXP earned), Dragon Fang (Skill x 0.75% chance adding half of user's attack power to existing damage dealt)

Nohr Noble
Swords (A), Dragonstones (A), Tomes (B)
Base stats: 18 HP, 8 STR, 6 MAG, 4 SKL, 7 SPD, 2 LCK, 6 DEF, 6 RES, 6 MOV
Growths: 15% HP, 10% STR, 15% MAG, 5% SKL, 15% SPD, 5% LCK, 5% DEF, 15% RES
Skills: Draconic Hex (lowers all enemy stats by 4 after combat), Nohrian Trust (unit can activate combat skills such as Luna owned by a supporting unit)

Very balanced stats all around for a class exclusive to your avatar, that's not too much of a surprise. Corrin's weakness to Wyrmslayers comes from a property unique to them (and their children), not this class, so you'll keep it even if you reclass out of it. This class tree works perfectly fine for your Corrin but you may want to specialise later in game. Of course if you're a tryhard you probably ditched this class the instant you could to make your Corrin a Wyvern Rider.

Nohr Noble leans heavily into magical stats and speed at the expense of physical stats and bulk, so non-magical Corrins may want to reclass to something else. Thanks to the Levin Sword you can take advantage of your magic stat without dragonstones or tomes, so don't feel like you have to raise your tome rank to use magic.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I know this is explicitly not a story LP, but man you can kinda piece together how things go from the limited context, and I'm not sure if it's more silly or less silly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ajkalan posted:

The abandoned screenshot LP (requires archive?) is complete for Birthright and Conquest, just petering out at the end of Revelations. It's quite similar to the Awakening LP on the LP Archive by the same poster.

Well, this is odd. I followed that LP, and posted in it regularly. But I have no memory of it whatsoever. That... might say something about the game. :v:

The more I read that LP, the more I want to side with Nohr out of sheer spite for how magically perfect not-Japan is.

I'd probably buy Awakening, at least, if it got ported to the Switch. This kind of thing is why I prefer PC gaming, less issues with the gaming device going obsolete.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 4, 2021

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Screenshot LPs tends to put more of a spotlight on the plot, and the plot of all three Fates routes is bad. Not to mention having multiple writing teams that didn't communicate much so the main plot and support conversation sometimes totally ignore each other. But there are good things that Conquest gameplay brings to the table that no other Fire Emblem game does.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

rannum posted:

Ah yes Yukimura, who so far as Conquest is concerned is the true 4th Royal of Hoshido

I played Birthright first and my friend played Conquest first and he was baffled when I told him that Yukimura basically didn't exist on my route and you just get him at the tail end of the game through the My Castle management.
Yukimura's recruitment requirement is so dumb, if it were not for the internet I wouldn't even know he's recruitable. Apparently he's not so bad a unit but I don't think I've ever deployed him.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I know this is explicitly not a story LP, but man you can kinda piece together how things go from the limited context, and I'm not sure if it's more silly or less silly.
It is my hope that whatever plot can be pieced together from this run is both better than Conquest's actual plot and also not at all accurate to the original story.

Cythereal posted:

I'd probably buy Awakening, at least, if it got ported to the Switch. This kind of thing is why I prefer PC gaming, less issues with the gaming device going obsolete.
I bought my 3DS close to launch and it's old enough that I've got all the ambassador programs that were released for free as compsensation for the price drop. One day it might die and that thought fills me with dread : (

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

If I do anything wrong this chapter then let it be known a dragon told me to do it.

Here is how the game teaches you to skip cutscenes. There's no "Press Start to skip" prompt, but faced with an insurmountable obstacle (this game's plot), the player is encouraged to seek alternate means of progression.

Okay I'll stop ragging on this game's story to say here's a chapter I love. It's an excellent introduction to the mechanics of Conquest and actual story aside, it sets the "feel" for the route very well. Corrin has just betrayed her birth family and made what is possibly the worst decision she could have... and now she is outnumbered and almost entirely alone in a very dangerous place. But it's not as bad as it seems! If you'll look at the bottom screen you'll see a very large number of enemies, but also three one-tile corridors that each could very easily be turned into a chokepoint.

The boss's stats aren't all that high, but it comes with three new skills, one of which is a giant gaping maw with sharp teeth. Already you are probably panicking.

Oh and on lunatic mode every enemy has this skill! Just entering combat with a unit that has Grisly Wound will take one fifth of your health off once the fighting is done. The skill itself cannot kill you, since damage is applied after battle (units cannot die outside of combat in this game (unless the plot kills them)), but all it takes is 5 battles with an enemy like this to drop literally any unit's HP to 1 regardless of stats.

Nasty and unique skills on enemies is a large part of how Conquest makes its difficulty. Some people like it, some people don't. This chapter "gently" introduces you to the concept by facing you with an army in which all enemies besides the boss have the exact same stats and weapon, making skills and unit formations the only thing to distinguish them.

Surviving the initial wave of enemies is our first priority. There's no reinforcements in this chapter, but the enemy will approach in waves unless you lure them out yourself.

A mixture of Jakob's personal skill, Corrin's dragonstone, and her above average defense means she actually takes 0 damage at all from each Faceless's attack. She's still taking 4 damage at the end of her turn from Grisly Wound though, but unless the boss itself can hurt her she's functionally immortal.

Jakob can die though so I do need to get rid of these things swiftly.

Corrin hears "immortal" and decides she doesn't need to gain defense. Her speed is slowly climbing back up towards average and her magic is still sky high.

...and the increase in HP increases grisly wound's damage from 4 to 5. She's actually gotten more vulnerable!

Corrin says the magic words that cause allies to suddenly appear and even the odds. Faceless don't have faces which means there's no chance there's a recruitable character being among them.

It's Silas, Corrin's childhood friend she sometimes remembers and sometimes doesn't. He's riding a horse so you know he's high tier.

Elise is also here for real, and she's holding a horse too. No more characters joining temporarily, if a unit joins us now they join for good.

Silas is an earlygame Cavalier, a unit archetype that is very rarely not useful. I have a lot to say about him but that can all wait. His growths are almost entirely 50%s across the board but his initially high bulk and mediocre speed will define his stats for a while.

Elise is a mounted healer with excellent magical stats but no defenses whatever. Her personal skill will massively increase the defenses of units she's adjacent to, so she's perfect in this chokepoint heavy chapter. She's also got her Freeze staff from last chapter at the ready, but that's a tool for emergencies.

Silas's E rank in lances is somewhat of a concern, since that limits him to only bronze weapons and no throwing ones. His official art depicts him holding a Javelin, but he can't use one yet. Many of his good reclass options use swords and not lances but that 1-2 range will come in handy in the short term so I want to boost his rank as soon as possible.

Jakob cleans up and becomes harder to kill. 3 defense procs in 4 levels ain't bad.

He also learns the immensely useful Live To Serve skill, which allows the user to restore HP equal to the damage they heal others when using a staff. I decide not to heal his single point of damage away with Elise and instead save the staff use. Healing "damage" gained from leveling up HP is a great way to award healers EXP but is also a bit of a waste of resources.

Multiple enemies have now become aggresive and started marching on our position, which means it's time for even more units! This is Arthur, one of Elise's retainers and a man can only approximate a neutral expression by rapidly switching between lots of silly ones.

Elise's two retainers are a Fighter and a Knight, two often maligned classes in the Fire Emblem series. Are these two any exception?

Arthur is a unit with mostly balanced stats but comically abysmal Luck, not just in terms of stats but in terms of his character. His personal skill leans into this even further, lowering the critical avoid of all enemies near him while also lowering his own. Without some method of sharply boosting his critical avoid he is going to face 1-5% crit chances from every single enemy he faces in combat, a trait which quickly ceases to be endearing in a game without Divine Pulse.

In every other aspect I absolutely love this guy. He's got an amazing voice actor, a lot of good lines, and somehow manages to be a genuinely appealing character despite how predictable his central personality gimmick is. You could crack a coconut on his chin.

Effie is strong. Very, very strong. 80% strength growth levels strong, and her personal skill rewards her with even more attack power if she is significantly stronger than her opponent. In terms of base stats she's your typical armoured unit, but behind all that armour is a glass cannon waiting to break free.

Designwise she gets 0/10 because she's a superhumanly strong woman with a voracious appetite who constantly dressed in bulky plate armour and yet she's just another skinny anime girl. Where's my 200 pound olympic weightlifter musclewife game : (

Both of these units can contribute to combat just fine in this chapter, but they will also give very nice stat boosts to whoever they're paired up with. Tight chokepoints might make for safe oppurtunities for dual attacks, but they also leave you with little room to have an entire army running around unpaired.

Building support points between members of my army is now a concern, which means it's good to have certain units stand next to each other when attacking even when they don't need to. Every time a unit enters combat they will build support with their adjacent allies.

...he missed and then hurt himself with grisly wound. Poor man really does have no luck.

Which is partly why I bought him this Bronze Axe last chapter. The unique properties of bronze weapons reduce your chance of taking a critical hit, but they also prevent you from making them. Giving Arthur one essentially undoes his personal skill.

One big downside of Elise's personal is that she has to be next to a unit for them to take advantage of it, which makes her a valid target to be selected as a support partner in attack formation. She does not help much in this formation when she literally cannot attack.

Corrin chokes the top point, everyone else takes the bottom. Feeding kills and weapon experience to Silas is currently top priority, but he needs help to take on all these enemies.

The 50% coinflips have chosen power and accuracy. That's alright.

The Faceless aren't all dumb, and will come both paired up and able to participate in dual attacks. Units in paired up formations can assist unpaired units in dual attacks but won't initiate them in combat themselves. The assisting Faceless is part of a defensive pair up that boosts their attack just enough to allow them to damage Corrin. Rude!

That's the first crit I've seen this run! That's enough damamge to kill a Faceless twice over.

The paired Faceless both come with Seal Speed. Combined with the speed boost their formation gives them, they will be fast enough to double attack anyone who's speed they manage to seal. Even when double attacking they're unlikely to finish a unit off in one round, but they can easily set up kills for their friends.

The chokepoint moves downward to place my best units near the approaching boss. If I get rid of him and his crony then I'll only have to fight on one single front.

Wary Fighter means this unit cannot double or be doubled. That doesn't make much difference for my army, but often you'll have to chip units with this skill to death.

The beauty of teamwork. But there's still some other guys left!

Meanwhile, Arthur tries his best. Thanks to Effie's support and Elise's protection he's not nearly getting as owned as he could be.

I'd rather Silas get the kills though. Enemies can dual guard too and it sucks. It's best to take them out in few enough hits that they can't get a full gauge.

Yep that's all the guys. I wish Doga were here to see this.

I'm glad to see Silas get speed, but his lack of bulk upsets me. I don't have any opinions on Jakob.

If Elise can get defense off of a 15% growth then I think Silas can get it off of a 50% one.

Objective complete! I may have dragged that chapter out a little with that one singular chokepoint at the end, but Silas got D rank lances and that's potentially going to help me in the next chapter.

would you believe we're not going to kill this guy for another 19 chapters

Next time: I write a load of words about the four guys we just found

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thing is we made the right choice as it means we side with Elise.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Normally I intensely disdain the kind, soft-hearted teenage healer girl kind of character, but Elise's choice of retainers raises my esteem for her immensely.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I enjoy having skills that are powerful and seriously matter in combat, but I think giving random enemies the same number of skill slots to grunt enemies puts too much information on the map. It would be better for player units and bosses to get normal skills and six full skill slots, but for generics to only have two skill slots and use special generic-enemy-only skills that are 2-3 times as strong as normal skills.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I'm of the opinion that Fates is largely Good, Actually, but Revelation (singular) is a waste of 20 dollars. The story is so :allears:, I can't help but love it, and the OST is legendary.

Maybe it's because I'm a Heroes player and one of like three people who bought Warriors, where these characters are put to much better use. Did you know Ryoma could cook? Or that Elise sasses Takumi for his constant use of "nohrian scum"? They're so fun to be around.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Faillen Angel posted:

I'm of the opinion that Fates is largely Good, Actually, but Revelation (singular) is a waste of 20 dollars. The story is so :allears:, I can't help but love it, and the OST is legendary.

Maybe it's because I'm a Heroes player and one of like three people who bought Warriors, where these characters are put to much better use. Did you know Ryoma could cook? Or that Elise sasses Takumi for his constant use of "nohrian scum"? They're so fun to be around.

The moment you divorce them from the plot & writing of Fates they're so much better. A lot easier to like them when they have less, more focused dialog and also let them be extremely goofy.
Xander's one of my most despised FE characters but they have fun with him in Heroes by just constantly clowning on him and it's very endearing.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

midnight lasagna posted:

Yukimura's recruitment requirement is so dumb, if it were not for the internet I wouldn't even know he's recruitable. Apparently he's not so bad a unit but I don't think I've ever deployed him.

It is my hope that whatever plot can be pieced together from this run is both better than Conquest's actual plot and also not at all accurate to the original story.

I bought my 3DS close to launch and it's old enough that I've got all the ambassador programs that were released for free as compsensation for the price drop. One day it might die and that thought fills me with dread : (

Hack your 3DS and you can make infinite backups - and save them onto a replacement 3DS should you ever need it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Cythereal posted:

Normally I intensely disdain the kind, soft-hearted teenage healer girl kind of character, but Elise's choice of retainers raises my esteem for her immensely.
Elise managed to survive Fates's writing to be a genuinely great character. She's also an absolutely terrifying combatant with a bit of investment, though she's never going to be able to take a hit, and her personal skill is crazy good.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

I've been putting off talking to Jakob because my ruleset forbids the random stat boosts allies can sometimes give you in your castle, but thankfully all he had was a weapon I can store and never use. When I tried talking to him in chapter 7 he came with a stat boost instead...

Time to replace Jakob with this cheery lady as my steward. She will allow me to place and move buildings without potentially triggering a random event. I kind of love the generic unit portraits in this game.

Corrin/Silas, Elise/Arthur, & Arthur/Effie C supports. Elise thinks Arthur is the coolest guy ever and I hope no 3% crits will ever break that illusion.

effie what

Getting 20 kills with a single unit unlocks a free statue you can place to increase one of their stat caps by a single point. You can upgrade these statues further to increase the stat caps of other units but their costs start getting expensive.

...incidentally, the currency in this castle is DVP. You get one per map cleared and it costs one to build or upgrade anything that's not a statue. You can also earn them by visiting other people's castles, something I'm not allowed to do.

The currency of shops is Money. Each shop is randomly assigned a shopkeeper from your units who will give discounts on their highest ranked weapon type. Unfortunately I don't want any axes right now. I do want that Javelin, but there's something else on my mind...

I bought this Staff Shop with chapter 7's DVP. Which of my units could I possibly want to reclass?

okay quick i need to justify myself RUN THE ANALYSIS

Elise
Troubadour (HS: Wyvern Rider)
A+ Support Classes: Effie (Knight), Azura (Sky Knight), Camilla (Wyvern Rider)
Personal Skill: Lily's Poise (+1 damage dealt and -3 damage taken for allied units within 1 tile)
Growths (With Default Class):
HP: 30% (30)
STR: 5% (5)
MAG: 65% (75)
SKL: 25% (45)
SPD: 55% (65)
LCK: 70% (85)
DEF: 15% (15)
RES: 40% (55)

Wyvern Elise probably makes even less sense when you look at those growths, but I'll get around to explaining why I did soon.

Compared to Sakura's surprising okay strength and bulk, Elise is a quintessential white mage and Troubadour. Her magic is excellent, her luck is through the roof, and her speed and her resistance are both high too. Every single other stat however will proc once in a blue moon. Her high magic means she'll heal much more effectively than whatever servant you got at the start, although thanks to her abysmal skill she'll maybe struggle to hit more evasive enemies with her offensive staves.

Lily's Poise is extremely powerful and can be combined with other sources of bulk such as pair-ups to massively increase the survivability of units for the sake of luring out dangerous enemies or establishing chokepoints. You do have to stand next to a unit for it to activate, which can be problematic when dealing with enemies that can attack from a distance. It also means Elise might make herself your dual attack partner, which is not ideal when she can't actually attack.

At least until she promotes, anyway. Elise can either become a Strategist or a Maid, but unless you really, really want the extra bulk or are going for a Flame Shurriken glass cannon build then there's really no reason not to pick the superior mobility and tome access of the former. Elise's lopsided growths make her an ideal candidate for promoting early, since once she caps her magic she won't get better in any meaningful way. The ability to sling spells from her beefy magic stat makes Elise capable of both offense and support, and as a mobile healer she's suited to hiding behind stronger allies and benefitting from their dual attacks. Unfortunately her terrible skill will actually get worse when she promotes, and she will struggle to hit with any tome beyond the weak and basic E rank Fire.

So why Wyvern...? Well the answer is that I saw people better at the game than me do it and I thought it looked cool. I've never actually tried it out myself... But there are actual reasons. As an unpromoted flier Elise can coast by on her bases decently enough. After a single level she'll unlock Strength + 2 which combined with the relative power of axes will help her deal decent damage for a good while. Early flier utility is very cool and even when her own stats aren't enough she'll be able to pair up with someone more competent so they can take advantage of her mobility instead.

It's her promotion to Malig Knight that really makes her work. 8 move, tome access, high magic stats and good enough bulk. Imagine a Camilla who trades strength and some of her bulk for insane magical power. Camilla's an amazing unit but her magic really isn't her strong point, Malig Knight Elise lets you explore the magic side of that class much more. I have no experience using her as one, but I have seen some fun map clears where she absolutely demolishes enemies with a Lightning tome.

I guess you could also make Elise a Falcon Knight through Azura if you want a flying staff user with actual magic. You could also make her a General through Effie if you liked Amelia from Sacred Stones but wish she was even worse.

TL;DR

Pros
  • Super high magic for very good heals
  • Personal skill combined with Troubadour/Strategist skills and healing make her excellent at support
  • Good candidate for early promotion thanks to lopsided gains
  • Turns any child she's the mother of into a magical powerhouse
  • Can activate dragon veins
  • Can be a wyvern...?

Cons
  • Dies to a gentle breeze
  • Awful skill limits her offenses
  • Can mess up dual strikes if you're not careful

My Rating: Baby

Nobody else gained any levels so they don't get to be in this chapter's roster review. Now to write 3 more of these walls of text.......

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

:getin:

We'll see how this works on lunatic. When I did it on hard for an all wyvern gimmick run it was surprisingly effective and she turns into a goddamn monster even before promotion when that bolt axe shows up. Ironically the biggest downside to turning your staff bot into an axe murderer is that for a long while we're stuck with Jacob and consumables for healing.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Elise doesn't even care about the bow weakness because they'd be oneshotting her anyway :v:

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
elise's comically bad skill will never not be funny to me, losing skill on promotion feels like something a romhack would do out of spite but it's real

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Silas
Cavalier (HS: Mercenary)
A+ Support Classes: Jakob (Troubadour), Kaze (Ninja)
Personal Skill: Vow of Friendship (+3 damage dealt and -3 damage taken if Corrin is under 50% HP, regardless of position on map)
HP: 40% (50)
STR: 45% (60)
MAG: 5% (5)
SKL: 50% (60)
SPD: 40% (50)
LCK: 40% (55)
DEF: 40% (50)
RES: 25% (30)

It's me, Silas! Your old pal Silas, remember? Hey Corrin can I borrow 50 dollars

Silas is a pretty solid dude, both in that he's a great guy and a great unit. It's really hard for a Cavalier to be bad, and Silas's stats are very nice indeed. Fates especially gives Cavaliers a lot of toys to play with beyond the usual high movement and access to two weapon types.

Statwise, Silas is an all rounder with a slight tendency towards power and skill. He's not slow, but merely average joining speed makes it hard for him to make the most out of his default 50% growth, and if you're unlucky he can start to fall behind in the midgame. What truly elevates him above the competition is the class options available to him and his immensely powerful skill in Vow of Friendship. Vow of Friendship augments his already great offense and bulk when Corrin's on low HP. Actually dropping Corrin to low HP can sometimes require a decent amount of setup, and it's not really feasible to keep one of your best units on half health throughout an entire map, but it's still a relatively easy ability to activate. Pairing Corrin and Silas in defensive formation allows you to keep Corrin out in front until they get low on health and then swap them with a superpowered Silas under the effects of boosts from two personal skills at once.

The Mercenary class tree gives Silas some much needed speed that he may sorely need around the midgame. Abandoning a mount and bulk for extra speed isn't a perfect tradeoff, but it's an entirely viable one. Stacking Elbow Room and Quick Riposte equals a Silas who's doing +6 damage on enemy phase, +9 taking into account VoF. As a Hero, Silas can also pick up the Sol skill, which then leads into his most OP build: the Sol Master Ninja.

Becoming a MN requires Silas to A+ support Kaze, which will take a few chapters starting from Kaze's return after chapter 11. What it does is give him access to a speedy class with a consistent 1-2 range option in Knives, which combined with his good natural bulk and Sol results in a fast and hard to kill unit with a chance to heal himself every hit. Dual guards make builds like this a lot more reliable than they sound, especially when the unit in question is attacking twice every round of combat. A Sol Master Ninja Silas with a good support partner and a few tonics and meals can defeat lategame maps entirely by himself with little chance on failure, even on Lunatic!

Otherwise he's still a solid mounted unit who will only start to slow down around the time Xander joins to replace him. You can also promote him early and then swap him out for his own daughter if you want.

TL;DR:

Pros
  • An amazing, if situational personal skill
  • Great class selection
  • Solid growths all around
  • A great (if not the only) user of the Sol/Master Ninja combo
  • Can be replaced by his daughter if she's well optimised and he's not working out or has been early promoted

Cons
  • Somewhat reliant on level up RNG for longterm viability
  • Mediocre speed can hold him back in his base class
  • Best strategies are reliant on specific supports for class access or certain conditions for VoF activation

My Rating: Probably gaslighting you

Arthur
Fighter (HS: Cavalier)
A+ Support Classes: Niles (Outlaw), Keaton (Outlaw*), Benny (Knight)
*even though keaton does not have access to this class himself
Personal Skill: Misfortunate (Reduces critical evade of enemies within two tiles by 15, reduces own by 5. Cannot reduce below 0)
HP: 50%(70)
STR: 45% (65)
MAG: 0% (0)
SKL 55% (70)
SPD: 35% (50)
LCK: 5% (10)
DEF: 45% (50)
RES: 20% (25)

BEWARE MY FISTS OF JUSTICE!

JUSTICE STRIIIIKES!

YOU'RE OUT OF LUCK, FRIEND!

NO HOLDING BACK!

Arthur's not really a unit I've explored to his full potential, so forgive me if I'm overlooking some of his best aspects. He's... okay. His base stats are serviceable, and his mediocre base growths compensated for by his class. I think his biggest problem is that the stat bonuses he offers as a support partner are better than his actual contributions in combat. The fighter class awards +4 str and +2 speed, and that's before factoring in extra bonuses from support levels!

Misfortunate really hurts him more than it helps him. Critical hits and cool and fun but it's never really practical to rely on them, and getting a surprise crit every now and then does not make up for the 1% death chance constantly hovering over Arthur's head. What's important to note is that Misfortunate cannot reduce crit avoid below 0, and that before support & weapon bonuses crit evade is calculated from Luck / 2. This means that an unsupported Arthur with a non-bronze weapon will need at least 12 luck before his personal skill stops cancelling out his natural crit avoid entirely! Without Goddess Icons he is never going to reach that value.

Combatwise I always find him to be just short of whatever I want him to do. His strength is good but not great, his skill is high but he still struggles with hits sometimes, he's never really fast enough to double, and his surprisingly good bulk for a fighter is overshadowed by threat of crits. Keeping a Bronze Axe on him at all times isn't always convenient. He can go Hero to boost his luck and gain access to swords, or he can go Berserker to boost his offensively massively and give himself even more crit at the cost of losing what measly luck he has and getting an even bigger penalty to crit evade (Berserkers lose 5 crit evade just by being Berserkers...). But if you do go Berserker and give him a Killer Axe then you can be sure to see some big crit numbers, both on your opponents and yourself.

Oh and Cavalier is a fine reclass option with a load of cool skills if you want to do that. Great Knights can use axes so Arthur can keep his axe rank if he wants. He can also go Outlaw if you want to shoot dudes from far away where you can't get crit. Really though Arthur's not a unit I'm 100% familiar with so any Arthur defenders out there please give me your opinions, I feel bad for slandering the hero of justice like this.

TL;DR:

Pros
  • Amazing selection of classes by default
  • Excellent pair-up bonuses, provides the amazing Fighter class to his spouse
  • Personal skill can help units around him without needing to enter combat himself
  • Can reach very high chances of critting with little effort

Cons
  • Mediocre bases, mediocre growths
  • Terrible luck and crit avoid lowering personal skill makes using him a constant danger
  • Struggles with hit rates in spite of his high skill

My Rating: Chin/10

Effie
Knight (HS: Troubadour)
A+ Support Classes: Elise (Troubadour), Mozu (Archer), Nyx (Dark Mage)
Personal Skill: Puissance (If user's strength > enemy strength + 5, deal 3 more damage in battle per attack)
HP: 35% (55)
STR: 60% (80)
MAG: 0% (0)
SKL: 35% (50)
SPD: 50% (55)
LCK: 50% (60)
DEF: 35% (55)
RES: 30% (30)

It's Effie, it's Effie, it's Effie! Her strength growth is 80%.

If you looked at Effie's growths you'd think she's the best unit ever made, but unfortunately you've got to consider her join situation too. Her base stats are fine, but low speed and 4 move can put a damper on even the best stats. What's even more dire is her reclass options - Troubadour is absolutely 0 help to her at all, and she gets it not only from heart seals but also her easiest A+ support to unlock. Dark Mage is also completely useless for a unit with infinite str and no magic. The Archer class however is a surprisingly good option for her, and not one that's too difficult to unlock either.

As a Knight Effie can still be pretty great. Her defenses aren't unimpeachable (if you want a tanky unit then just pair her up with someone else, she'll give them +4 defense), but they're still pretty great and they let her safely approach an enemy to absolutely thwomp them to death. Achieving OHKOs is entirely within Effie's power and given a good enough weapon she can even continute to make them into the endgame. General sacrifices any pretense of doubling with her naturally high speed growth for even better offense and defense, while Great Knight massively increases her mobility and lets her bring the pain straight to her foes.

The Fighter & Cavalier classes are both options she can grab from marrying either Arthur or Silas, the former leaning into her high speed and power and the latter allowing her to get the Elbow Room and Defender skills to stack her potential damage even higher while keeping her lance rank. Alternatively, the Archer class allows Effie to be a deadly force from far away, and gives her the Kinshi Knight promotion option, a flying archer that can also make use of her lance rank. Archer Effie has surpisingly similar stats to Archer Mozu except without the bad earlygame and the nonexistant bulk.

TL;DR:

Pros
  • Absurd strength growth and damage boosting personal skill allows for potential OHKOs, potentially bypassing tricky skills
  • One of the few units to be able to access the Archer class without marrying an Archer talent Corrin
  • Provides great pair-up bonuses and will prodive almost any child with high growths
  • Solidly defensive thanks to her class even if her natural bulk is mediocre

Cons
  • Only 4 move
  • Slow in her default class, bad luck with speed can keep her slow forever
  • Terrible class selection
  • Can struggle to take hits outside of her default class

My Rating: I don't know what "puissance" means

theshim
May 1, 2012

Silas is generically good in an almost offensively bland way. Sol Master Ninja aside he's just reliable without being super exciting most of the time, though the pairup with Corrin trick gives him +5/-5 on damage before bonuses are taken into account, so he's just a very good frontliner. His biggest weakness starting out is one that Fates really leans on - only 22 hp and coinflip odds means he really relies on those extra passives to help him tank damage for a while. And while Sol Master Ninja is cool and all, it takes a good long while before you can get that running and it costs a few seals.

Arthur...oh dear. For such a unique design and personal skill, he always seems to end up just below mediocre in everything. Can't reliably OHKO, can't reliably double, can't reliably tank, and is always in constant crit danger. If he had something like +2 to all his bases it would go a long way towards making him a more stable unit, but with his start as low as it is, you need a lot of luck for him to shine. I end up benching him in almost every single run, and even in my Bad Units Run of Conquest he was one of the weaker units.

Effie has incredibly stupid growths and is hobbled only by her awful class selection. Three of her four default options are magic classes for a unit with literally 0 magic growth, for some inexplicable reason. Marry her off well and she can turn into a terrifying monster, though she is deceptively fragile when you class her out of the Knight branch. Her bases are honestly not very good and are largely held together by the Knight's bases on top of them, but her growths tend to be so good that she's easily able to round the corner into excellence that Arthur so often crashes facefirst into (on brand, I suppose).

One of the issues with some of the considerations for characters is that many of them require reclassing, often as soon as possible, and seals are very much at a premium for Conquest's earlygame. You can get one or two units moved around okay, but past that it becomes impractical until a good ways into the game. If you're using DLC/Castle rewards/visiting other castles this all goes out the window, of course.

theshim fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 4, 2021

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Yeah, why'd they give the character who doesn't have a 60% strength growth before class modifiers noticeable abs and not the one who does? That's a ridiculous amount of strength for anything.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Seems like Effie's crazy growths are purposely meant to offset all the Knight's issues.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Yes I fight for nohr, why do you ask

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Elise: Wyvern Elise is a bit of a meme really. I actually feel it's a bit of a waste to reclass her now since she does just fine waiting until she's level 10 and instantly promoting, and by then you'll probably have a free Fire tome. Though at least now she has one of the highest defenses on your team and her strength will be on par once she gains a level. Bolt Axe and Lightning Tome will be fun but she will always want a Fire Tome as well, and her magic and speed will always be high enough that she won't need anything else. She's probably the 3rd best user of Calamity Gate as well if you get it. Her skill will always be horrible no matter how you build her.

Effie: She will always be strong. A lesser meme is Maid Effie. At 10/1 she will usually have around 18 strength and the early promotion means she should have Tomebreaker well before end game. She will also be fast enough to double most enemies and still be relatively tanky. You don't do it because it's optimal but because it's funny, and it works as long as you don't need her to heal or use offensive staves. Knight to Great Knight is a perfectly fine path for her, but Archer and Kinshi completely breaks large parts of the endgame. I almost always marry her to Arthur and dump both for their kid.

Silas: Silas is either completely mediocre or horribly broken depending on how much you rely on Vow of Friendship and what seals you want to use. Sol Master Ninja has been mentioned, but you could do the same with three other characters and two will use one less seal to get there. He's also probably your best natural Bow Knight. I will always pimp bows in Conquest, especially Bow Knights and doubly so on Lunatic where Inevitable End is a thing. It's not a bad idea to have at least 2 Bow Knights, and Silas will retain everything that makes him good as a Cavalier and only be better. Also for the same amount of seals as Sol Master Ninja you can have Quick Draw + Strong Riposte + Air Superiority + Shurikenbreaker. Add in Vow of Friendship and Elbow Room and he's doing +11 damage on Player Phase, +10 on Enemy Phase with +50 hit/avoid against fliers and ninjas. It's not impossible to have this by the time you fight Hinoka and Ryoma when you need it most.

Arthur: He sucks. I love him as a character and you can use him if you want to and make him work, but it takes a lot of work and effort compared to almost anyone else. That said he's probably your second or third best natural Berserker, and if you're not throwing a seal on your servant then it wouldn't hurt to make him a Cavalier so he could catch up in speed and weapon ranks before the penalty is too severe. But if you are using him, he needs to end up a Hero. Also that Goddess Icon and a Bronze Axe immediately cancel out the drawbacks of his personal, and his son was made to be glued to his side.

Honestly, I don't think I would use a seal on anyone you have now unless you're building towards something specific. Elise and Silas both benefit by waiting until promotion and it's nearly useless on Arthur and Effie unless you want a second Cavalier now. And Jakob would be better in that role, and Corrin wants to wait until at least level 10. There's an actual good use in the upcoming Paralogue and a decent gimmick in the next chapter, and lately I've soured on Mozu as a unit.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 5, 2021

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Wow, that's a lot of words. I could tone it down if you wish, but I recently did an All Heart Seal Run and some of them are surprisingly effective.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Puissance (pwee sonse) is french for POWER

P O W E R

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Faillen Angel posted:

Faillen Angel posted:

elise's comically bad skill will never not be funny to me, losing skill on promotion feels like something a romhack would do out of spite but it's real
I never played Warriors, maybe I should... or at least I should read the supports. I do think Fates has some genuinely great supports but you have to sift through a lot of mediocre to bad ones to find them.

I guess they wanted Maids & Butlers to be the premier staff users so they made Strategists less accurate with offensive ones to compensate...? It does feel pointlessly petty though, like they give you a negative number to scare you away from the obvious best choice.

FoolyCharged posted:

:getin:

We'll see how this works on lunatic. When I did it on hard for an all wyvern gimmick run it was surprisingly effective and she turns into a goddamn monster even before promotion when that bolt axe shows up. Ironically the biggest downside to turning your staff bot into an axe murderer is that for a long while we're stuck with Jacob and consumables for healing.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that part. Hmm, when do I actually get my next healer...?

theshim posted:

Silas is generically good in an almost offensively bland way. Sol Master Ninja aside he's just reliable without being super exciting most of the time, though the pairup with Corrin trick gives him +5/-5 on damage before bonuses are taken into account, so he's just a very good frontliner. His biggest weakness starting out is one that Fates really leans on - only 22 hp and coinflip odds means he really relies on those extra passives to help him tank damage for a while. And while Sol Master Ninja is cool and all, it takes a good long while before you can get that running and it costs a few seals.

Arthur...oh dear. For such a unique design and personal skill, he always seems to end up just below mediocre in everything. Can't reliably OHKO, can't reliably double, can't reliably tank, and is always in constant crit danger. If he had something like +2 to all his bases it would go a long way towards making him a more stable unit, but with his start as low as it is, you need a lot of luck for him to shine. I end up benching him in almost every single run, and even in my Bad Units Run of Conquest he was one of the weaker units.

Effie has incredibly stupid growths and is hobbled only by her awful class selection. Three of her four default options are magic classes for a unit with literally 0 magic growth, for some inexplicable reason. Marry her off well and she can turn into a terrifying monster, though she is deceptively fragile when you class her out of the Knight branch. Her bases are honestly not very good and are largely held together by the Knight's bases on top of them, but her growths tend to be so good that she's easily able to round the corner into excellence that Arthur so often crashes facefirst into (on brand, I suppose).

One of the issues with some of the considerations for characters is that many of them require reclassing, often as soon as possible, and seals are very much at a premium for Conquest's earlygame. You can get one or two units moved around okay, but past that it becomes impractical until a good ways into the game. If you're using DLC/Castle rewards/visiting other castles this all goes out the window, of course.
The limited number of seals is why I'm going to try my best to play around with Friendship & Partner seals, not just Heart ones. I used to wonder why units could get A+ supports that gave them their heart seal option but they can potentially be useful if other units want the heart seals instead.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Yeah, why'd they give the character who doesn't have a 60% strength growth before class modifiers noticeable abs and not the one who does? That's a ridiculous amount of strength for anything.
Rinkah and her 20% base strength growth rear end being the only one with abs really annoys me. If this were a Birthright run I'd complain about her a lot more. Honestly if they wanted to make a fast and weak Oni that's fine but they made the only Oni in the series completely non-indicative of what the class is like!!! Like they could have given her a brother or a sister and done a Red Oni Blue Oni thing, that's a thing that exists in Japan right?

Walla posted:

Elise: Wyvern Elise is a bit of a meme really. I actually feel it's a bit of a waste to reclass her now since she does just fine waiting until she's level 10 and instantly promoting, and by then you'll probably have a free Fire tome. Though at least now she has one of the highest defenses on your team and her strength will be on par once she gains a level. Bolt Axe and Lightning Tome will be fun but she will always want a Fire Tome as well, and her magic and speed will always be high enough that she won't need anything else. She's probably the 3rd best user of Calamity Gate as well if you get it. Her skill will always be horrible no matter how you build her.

Effie: She will always be strong. A lesser meme is Maid Effie. At 10/1 she will usually have around 18 strength and the early promotion means she should have Tomebreaker well before end game. She will also be fast enough to double most enemies and still be relatively tanky. You don't do it because it's optimal but because it's funny, and it works as long as you don't need her to heal or use offensive staves. Knight to Great Knight is a perfectly fine path for her, but Archer and Kinshi completely breaks large parts of the endgame. I almost always marry her to Arthur and dump both for their kid.

Silas: Silas is either completely mediocre or horribly broken depending on how much you rely on Vow of Friendship and what seals you want to use. Sol Master Ninja has been mentioned, but you could do the same with three other characters and two will use one less seal to get there. He's also probably your best natural Bow Knight. I will always pimp bows in Conquest, especially Bow Knights and doubly so on Lunatic where Inevitable End is a thing. It's not a bad idea to have at least 2 Bow Knights, and Silas will retain everything that makes him good as a Cavalier and only be better. Also for the same amount of seals as Sol Master Ninja you can have Quick Draw + Strong Riposte + Air Superiority + Shurikenbreaker. Add in Vow of Friendship and Elbow Room and he's doing +11 damage on Player Phase, +10 on Enemy Phase with +50 hit/avoid against fliers and ninjas. It's not impossible to have this by the time you fight Hinoka and Ryoma when you need it most.

Arthur: He sucks. I love him as a character and you can use him if you want to and make him work, but it takes a lot of work and effort compared to almost anyone else. That said he's probably your second or third best natural Berserker, and if you're not throwing a seal on your servant then it wouldn't hurt to make him a Cavalier so he could catch up in speed and weapon ranks before the penalty is too severe. But if you are using him, he needs to end up a Hero. Also that Goddess Icon and a Bronze Axe immediately cancel out the drawbacks of his personal, and his son was made to be glued to his side.

Honestly, I don't think I would use a seal on anyone you have now unless you're building towards something specific. Elise and Silas both benefit by waiting until promotion and it's nearly useless on Arthur and Effie unless you want a second Cavalier now. And Jakob would be better in that role, and Corrin wants to wait until at least level 10. There's an actual good use in the upcoming Paralogue and a decent gimmick in the next chapter, and lately I've soured on Mozu as a unit.
Oh that BK Silas build actually sounds really fun. I've only recently learned the power of marrying units to Mozu for Archer access so I've barely been able to experiment with it but there's so much cool stuff you can do.

(don't worry about too many words, I'm genuinely interested and I will read them all!)

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Puissance (pwee sonse) is french for POWER

P O W E R
Oh, it's French. Pwee-sonse... That sounds less romantic than it looks in spelling.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Freezing winds! Don't worry, this isn't the wind chapter. The emphasis is on the freezing.

Jakob's level ups are the hardest to think of inciteful commentary for so I'm going to use this whenever he gets speed. And maybe sometimes when he doesn't for ironic purposes.

The objective of this chapter is to defeat the boss, although there's a lot more going on than just that - there's also a race against the enemy to visit villages before they can. Every village we visit first adds to our gold reward at the end of the chapter. 1000 gold for one, 5000 gold for two, and 10000 gold for free. Every village the enemy visits first will spawn a large amount of units, some of which will aggro immediately, although none of them will move on the enemy phase they were spawned in on.

My incredibly helpful diagram shows which three villages I'll be aiming for, and one village that the enemy is all but guaranteed to visit before we can. Visiting any more than 3 villages doesn't reward us with anything but less enemies, and less enemies = less exp!

One soldier starts near the boss, another starts right within range of the village above us. Both of them have only 3 move so they're pretty easy to intercept.

It is possible to save the village above us, although I'm pretty sure that requires either wasting a use of the Freeze staff or doing something like reclassing Jakob or Felicia to a promoted mount and also giving them a pair of Boots you can get if you've previously cleared another route on your save file. Neither of these things are worth doing.

Also speaking of things that aren't worth doing, I forgot to mention that it is technically possible to clear Chapter 7 before Effie and Arthur show up, thus dooming them to wander the Forlorn Forest forever! Doing so requires buying paid DLC and grinding your units to very high levels while also reclassing them into fliers, and possibly even doing the DLC chapter that gives you Anna as a unit as its reward. Otherwise you cannot rout the chapter fast enough.

Flora is here as a sub-boss to harass us with her Freeze staff, and possibly her knives if we stand close enough to her. She's a bit of a nuissance, but fairly trivial to play around if you know what you're doing. She's also consequence free EXP!!

Pairing up units is vital to reach the villages in time. Someone has to stay behind to visit the first village, and in this case it's Effie. As Elise's retainer I assume she has lots of experience lying to children.

Once again, unpairing units at the end of their movement is vital for gaining a little extra ground. It's also nice in general to have as many units unpaired as possible at the end of your turn, it gives you flexibility in positioning for the turn after.

That's 1-1 for villages visited. Some of these reinforcements will start moving, some won't. I don't know which ones.

Oh hey there. The darkness seeths and says "hmmm", indicating it is upset but unsure exactly of what it is upset at.

Well if the darkness is mad then at least we have two more guys to fight it with. Meet Odin and Niles, Leo's retainers! Leo himself is not here yet. I'll be a fair few chapters yet before he graces us with his presence.

Odin is a Dark Mage, and also that Myrmidon kid from Awakening but with a different name. He is our first offensive magic user although looking at his stats you might think he's a bit crap. For the sake of this chapter that is entirely true, but there's more to him than meets the eye...

Niles is everybody's favourite problematic bisexual pirate. He's an Outlaw, which is like a thief that uses bows instead of swords. They specialise in Resistance. A veteran Fire Emblem player would probably hear all that and disregard the class as complete garbage for combat, but Niles is a very nice unit to have for a variety of reasons. Right now there are no chests for him to open but lots of mages to shoot. He's also one of the only Outlaws we're ever getting, this game was really stingy with access to the outlaw class for some reason.

There's 21 enemies on the map right now, but it's not as dangerous as it appears. The trick is not to overextend. The enemies who's movement I've highlighted will only approach when we enter their danger radius, leaving a relatively safe path for our units if we hug the bottom. There's no need to aggro any of them until we want to fight them on our own terms.

Niles immediately makes himself useful by attaching himself to Jakob. As a promoted class Jakob has more move than my other units, and as an Outlaw Niles gives him an extra + 1. Latching onto him gets them both closer to the action faster.

Bows and Tomes are both part of the weapon triangle, and unfortunately tomes > bows. Niles's usefulness as a mage killer can depend a little on the RNG.

Thanks to Arthur's pair-up bonuses, Elise can become a pretty great combat unit. Of course any unit with a physical weapon will become good with these stats, but it means Elise can earn EXP and be useful without having to be fed it as a Wyvern.

I can take out both remaining mages safely so long as Elise hits, but if she doesn't then the survivor can act on enemy phase.

The trick is to move Silas first, so Elise can increase her accuracy through suppports and he can take out the one with Malefic Aura, lowering the straggler's damage output. Elise's personal also gives Silas enough bulk to be safe just in case she does miss. Teamwork!

But as we all know 80% is basically 100%

Odin grabs Jakob from Niles and separates him, ensuring I can both use Niles in combat and heal with Jakob next turn if I want to. I'll stop making a note of every time I do this but little things like this make me appreciate pair-up a lot more. I never really bother doing it in Awakening where you want all your units to be paired up juggernauts all the time, but it's very useful in Fates.

Flora will freeze any unit in range, making it tricky to reach the villages by going this way. The trick is to have as many units as possible rushing for the houses so no matter who gets frozen, someone else can pick up the pace. I assume she always goes for the least resistant?

This guy is closing in, but the superhero duo is on his tail. By splitting up Elise and Arthur I make sure that if one of them gets frozen, the other can save the village. Arthur is the more likely target which is good because I don't really want him to do much anyway.

Unfortunately without adult supervision she is... not particularly effective. Decently bulky though!

That's villages 2 and 3 secured! 10,000 gold in the bank. These people don't seem all too happy to see us... I wonder if we might not be the good guys in this scenario? Nahhhh.

The boss would be our next objective, but there's still half a map's worth of units left to extract sweet EXP from. Hmm okay maybe we are the baddies

Quick Draw is a skill that gives +4 damage dealt on player phase. Some of these fighters come with it equipped so they hit hard. In future FE games this skill would be called "Death Blow", a name that makes a little more intuitive sense.

Allegedly this Corrin has a res bane.

Reaching level 10 grants Corrin Dragon Fang, a skill with a 0.75*Skill% chance of activating. It boosts damage dealt by half of your attack power. It can be more or less useful than a crit depending on how bulky the enemy is. It's nice enough, but not really reliable. Best not to assume it'll proc (unless it proccing could kill you) and treat it as a nice surprise every now and then.

Niles is great at slinking around the battlefield to grab kills he couldn't normally get with dual guards. It's usually best to leave bow users unpaired for this reason!

Now that all the villages on this half of the map are gone, this guy is making a tactical retreat. We can't have that.

Oh and now they're all gone. That's 3 to us, 2 to them! That means 66% of you get to live

Flora is all out of Freeze staff uses, so now it's a lot easier to approach her. Freeze staves come with 4 in total, although if they really want a staff to hit you on Lunatic mode they'll give enemies multiple copies of one... or worse.

First Effie gets village duty, now she gets to act as body armour for this loser. I'm sorry, I know you deserve better! Last time I played this game she ended up as a Sniper who capped half of her stats so she can't be too mad.

Oh it's also possible to melt the frozen lake temporarily if you want to block enemies or buy time to reach the villages. I personally never bother with this.

This image's filename is just "pee" but I'd like to think I've become a more mature person than I was when I took it.

Having lost his purpose in life, the cold-caller Soldier turns to bloodshed and attacks Elise on his own turn. I think that's the first time he's managed to hit her.

Odin... isn't being particularly helpful right now. His only purpose here is to gain EXP and maybe chip the occassional enemy into KO range for Niles. I think this terrible introduction is partly why some people think so little of him in this game, but he will be useful later!

You could take all these enemies suddenly approaching from the village as a sign to hurry up and kill the boss, but with my forces all grouped up it's easy to dual attack them to death.

Congrats on finally getting defense, Silas! Oh and Jakob leveled up too.

Shelter, the level 10 Cavalier skill, is potentially one of the most useful tools in the game you'll have. It gives you the option to pull an ally into a pair-up formation with you, as opposed to you joining in formation with them. So they'll move onto your tile and join you as a support partner rather than you moving onto their tile and joining them. It's fairly nice as a reactive tool to save fragile units from danger if you've made a misplay, but if you make plans around it then you can do some truly insane combos, the best of which allow dancers (so, Azura) to dance multiple times in one turn! Unfortunately all of this requires you to remember that the skill exists and that you have it. For me, this is a problem.

Congrats on the skill? I guess it's nice when Elise gets that. Even as a Wyvern Rider Elise only has a 20% strength growth, so Str+2 gives her as much strength as she would normally get in 10 levels on average.

Time to commit herbicide against the local Flora. I really don't like skills like Icy Blood, they're always a pain. It's important to note that the damage taken applies during battle, not after, so it can kill you.

Boss conversations are rare in this game but not absent. Corrin and Jakob weaken up Flora for the KO...

more like "iced tribe" am i right

Nobody else on the map will move unless provoked. There's no time limit or anything, so let's clean up!

...not all of them will aggro when you enter their range though. Jerks.

Magic! I was wondering when you'd start getting that.

Kilma is the boss of this chapter. He's a Sorcerer, although I don't think he gives EXP like a promoted unit would. He uses a deadly Vantage/Nosferatu combo that makes him rather difficult to kill. Nosferatu might have been heavily nerfed in this game, but it's still a potent tool!

His avoid is high, he deals loads of damage, and he heals himself. I don't like him.

Elise is now capable of one-rounding Fighters with Arthur's support. Hopefully her base stats and str+2 can carry her to promotion...

Elise gets an Elise level, Niles gets an uncharacteristically bulky level, Odin... is Odin. IIRC he's got either the highest or second highest growth total in the entire game, but they're spread out somewhat thin across every stat. I promise you this guy is good

Map routed, time to destroy this guy. Behold the true power of Vow of Friendship and Supportive combined!!!

Oh and this guy also drops this. This valueable item shall form the base of my gigantic pile of unused statboosters... wait I still have the Goddess Icon OH GOD IT'S ALREADY HAPPENING

I could have maybe done that faster.

Spoiler: Conquest has like the lowest actual death count of any route

Next time: We ignore whatever the plot is to cross the border and conscript a foreign farmgirl

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

midnight lasagna posted:

Oh that BK Silas build actually sounds really fun. I've only recently learned the power of marrying units to Mozu for Archer access so I've barely been able to experiment with it but there's so much cool stuff you can do.

Part of what makes it great is that Silas is one of the few people who can get those skills. Outside of Corrin, your only other options are Xander and Laslow and both require A+ with the other as well as marriage to Mozu.

If you still want Sol Master Ninja, you can achieve that with Kaze, Laslow, Selena, Beruka, Camilla and Charlotte, and maybe others. If I'm remembering how marriage works, I think Laslow and Selena pass their secondary classes to each other so you could have 4 units with that setup if you want. Hell, even Arthur, Keaton and their friends could do it with a female Corrin with Ninja talent. :)

Birthright classes in Conquest can be extremely good, not just Archer and Ninja. I typically give Corrin something like Spear Fighter or even Apothecary just to pass some fun builds to their spouse, and even something like Shrine Maiden can be good for a fun Great Master build on Jakob. Also if you want you can create a second gen Onmyoji by marrying Niles and Nyx, but it's the definition of sub optimal.

Also, Odin is good. He makes a good use of an early Heart Seal if you want him to go physical, though he does want Dark Mage's second skill first.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 5, 2021

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Odin sucks.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I want to know what makes Odin good in this game.

I ran him unchanged through my entire Conquest Lunatic playthrough and yeah, I won't say he was useless near the end, but he certainly wasn't Awakening Owain, that's for sure.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Odin is competent as a Dark Mage, he retains a decent magic stat as a Samurai and his daughter is the most powerful magic user in the game whose Paralogue gives a Horse Spirit and Calamity Gate which are game changing in Conquest. Also he can pass on Vantage to Ophelia, and that can proc with Nosferatu.

Promoted to Dark Knight around level 16 he will have more strength, speed and defense than Leo and a decent magic stat. Staying Sorcerer lets him do some fun strats with Nosferatu. A defense tonic and a pair up will let him solo the archers in Chapter 10 and a Malig Knight pair up lets him solo some powerful foes in Cheve.

And he's still Owain, so he's fun. And Ophelia is goofy and adorable.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I don’t really rank magic super highly in general in Conquest, maybe it’s just me but since you’re fighting less “stock” enemy types than usual you end up not really fiending for magic for its specific niche. It definitely doesn’t really help that Revelation Hayato and Leo are like, the only good mages in Fates without any qualifiers like “low level, bad speed, weird growths, being Nyx” but yeah.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Anyone that can get you Ophelia is a good unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Odin tends to work out for me, but maybe it's because his primary competition is.

Well,