Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

midnight lasagna posted:

Off-site Screenshot test poster

To keep massive SSLP test posts off site to save on killing browsers. This won't match the forums exactly but it should be close enough.

Normal bbcode and all smilies are supported.

oops again :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Keldulas posted:

Still remember her most common combat bark. "Look me in the eyes!".

Her laugh still haunts my dreams.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Blaze Dragon posted:

You're incorrect in how Casual Mode works. If your Lord gets taken down, you still lose (or a Mila's Turnwheel/Divine Pulse is forcefully triggered if you have any). I'm not sure why Seize was changed, I imagine it's just to make it less annoying, since ferrying the Lord to a specific spot was a pain and genuinely added little to nothing beyond tedium to gameplay.
I'm kind of mixed on how they changed seize maps. Getting the lord to the end was kind of annoying sometimes, but being able to seize with anybody makes seize maps feel like defeat boss maps with one pointless extra step. Although I am the type of player who will rout most maps anyway so maybe it doesn't matter.

No comment on the lord thing, the wiki and other people seem to disagree but I've never actually checked for myself...

Walla posted:

I appreciate Odin as a unit because in the places he's useful he lets me not have to think. There's so many things that go on in some maps that with Odin and Nosferatu I just have to make sure he can survive the next turn, and it takes much less mental math to do so. The sustain that provides means I can just let him handle a portion of a map and place my mental energy elsewhere. He does often need tonics and a pair up to pull it off, but that's true of everyone.

I still need to actually try Archer Nyx, but I imagine she would perform well as long as you have the proper expectations. Level 9 Nyx sealed to Outlaw will be able to one round every unpaired pegasus in Chapter 10, meaning she is equally as effective as Niles and twice as effective as Mozu in this task. I just don't think her speed will be as high as an Archer, and her strength definitely won't be enough. But Adventurer Nyx with Quick Draw and Sure Shot would wreck poo poo with a Shining Bow.

Also, I'm disappointed you didn't use Odin to bait units on turn 1. Standing in the woods with Elise next to him he could have baited both an Archer and Spear Fighter and survived.
Not thinking is nice. Conquest sometimes makes you use your brain too much. As for Odin, maybe I should have used him, I haven't really gotten to show off Nosferatu yet... but I am glad I got to show off Dragonstone Corrin's OHKO potential.

Keldulas posted:

As bad as the writing in this game is, I actually like the writing on this map. Azura got screwed by your defection, so the Hoshidans try to kill her. She's fleeing/hiding, and has to sneak to a chest to grab a weapon so she can fend for herself. It's reasonable map-based story-telling, which is neat to see.

I think Conquest overloads on the gimmicky maps, but there are some real interesting ideas that were executed competently enough in the process. Far better than Birthright, which just goes for over-huge tedious maps that get boring really quickly.

I used Azura in dual-attacks a LOT. Mainly because it was funny, but her also being actually reasonably competent at it. Still remember her most common combat bark. "Look me in the eyes!".

Sadly, I never finished Conquest, which I find a pity. I blame playing it right after Birthright and the hot steaming garbage that was. So the parts of Conquest which were similar to Birthright had way less tolerance from me, and I just kind of said 'gently caress it'.
Azura's little stealth adventure is definitely a fun idea, but it does get a bit tedious when you're doing it on subsequent playthroughs since you're always doing the same thing.

All the Conquest maps I've done so far are really bad in their BR equivalents. I don't hate all of Birthright's maps but compare Fort Dragonfall or the Ice Tribe to their Birthright versions and the difference in quality really is huge.

Off-site Screenshot test poster

To keep massive SSLP test posts off site to save on killing browsers. This won't match the forums exactly but it should be close enough.

Normal bbcode and all smilies are supported.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

We are loving under attack!!!

To allow every player to experience battles in their castle even if they don't have friends or an internet connection, Fates gives you 3 optional "invasions" that you will unlock as you progress through the game. Each invasion is a battle in which you must defend your castle's throne from a variety of enemies, although what enemies you'll face in each one depends on the route you're playing. Not surprisingly, Conquest gives you the hardest ones.

Normally castle battles are worth 0 EXP in Conquest, but because there's a set amount of these invasions and they can't be farmed for EXP, the game lets you gain EXP from defeating enemies as normal. The first invasion is basically a free win and a great chance to build supports and feed kills to your weaker units. But the second two...

Anyway who cares about that because we got some Cabbages!!! Cabbages boost Resistance when cooked in the Mess Hall. They're also good for you, which is why they don't taste particularly exciting.

In prepartion for this invasion I shall try to arrange my castle a little more defensively. There's not really a lot you can do in the first place since enemies can easily destroy any buildings you place in their way, but it's at the very least handy to put in some effort since the location of buildings will determine where your units can be placed.

Haitaka won't join our army unless we give him some jewelry and a steak dinner. My only other option is to constantly attempt to persuade him between chapters. I don't really care about actually using him so I'll just yell at him until he joins and then bench him.

Silas & Jakob get a C support, Arthur and Elise get an A one. I'm not transcribing these supports but some of them are genuinely good. Elise and Arthur's was very sweet! I bet their eventual S support will completely ruin that sweetness.

Oh I didn't mention this before, but Naginata weapons (Hoshidan lances) provide +1 def and res to the user, at the cost of being a little weaker than Nohrian lances. Mozu's Brass Naginata has gone to Silas in case he ever needs to sacrifice power for more bulk.

Time for the invasion. At the bottom we have a bunch of paired up Mercenaries. The boss is slightly stronger than his cohorts and is carrying a Goddess Icon, which may or may not go to Niles again.

On the left and on the right are some generally unimpressive mounted units. As a general rule, the enemies at the left and right of an invasion will be much less weaker than the ones at the bottom, but they will also be closer to the throne.

Oh and here's Lilith, positioned in the middle. She won't move but she will attack enemies with her long-range breath. If this were Birthright she would have a long-range heal, and if this were Rev she would have both. I've been giving her all my Malk between missions so she's full of Vitamin R.

Every building is a deployment slot, which means you'll need to have placed at least 10 units to bring the maximum amount of people. Which is just enough to leave Effie behind...

I've piled all my buildings at the left and right, so I can immediately handle the invaders on either side and then have my army meet in the middle to handle the boss and his cronies.

Some buildings will boost the stats of your units so long as they're intact, so you might see some big damage numbers that don't quite make sense. A smart player can position those buildings as far away from the enemies as possible to ensure they last throughout the whole fight, but I kinda just placed them wherever.

Maybe I should skip some of these levels. I like posting them as they happen to give a sense of the flow of the battle, but I'm already out of commentary for Azura.

The problem with having your deployment slots scattered everywhere is sometimes you forget people are even there. Jakob... can go find someone to heal.

Behold, OHKOs! Odin Dark's true power is revealed...!

(he's got +6 attack from nyx & the treehouse building and wyverns have terrible res)

Property damage! The prison is destroyed, and all my captives get sweet, sweet freedom!!!

Nah just kidding it'll be back when the map is over. Enemies will destroy buildings if they can, generally prefering to do so over attacking your units. But sometimes they won't? Honestly, the AI's unpredictability makes me not like these battles. Sometimes they'll ignore both targets and rush straight for your throne.

Here's an example of the AI's weird behaviour. I guess these Mercs wanted to avoid Lilith's range so they go to the right for some reason. How annoying.

The demise of my damage-boosting treehouse makes everybody suddenly stop being so OP. This is fine, it means two people can get combat experience from this enemy!

GO UP NOT RIGHT YOU'RE INVADING WRONG!!! I swear, medieval invaders have had hot oil dumped on them for less.

Oh, I... might have blocked off these bridges by placing this building in the wrong place. I blame the contractors, my designs were perfect!

Hmm, Azura levels up pretty fast. Much faster than dancers normally do!

All is now right in the world, the invaders are coming back up the middle. All my army is gathered to take down and Lilith can take potshots at them.

bap

If only I could bring her on missions : (

I forgot to mention this earlier, but this is a big part of how Conquest makes invasions tricky. You place your unit on the throne to defend it, the enemy Lunges themselves into your position and then captures it the next turn. Any invasion without a Lunge or an Entrap unit can just be cheesed by putting your best tank on the throne and not deploying anyone else.

Bye bye boss. Corrin and Silas form a chokepoint on a two tile bridge and everybody else attacks over it.

Aw yeah. I hadn't mentioned it before, but Corrin's doing really will with HP. Most units in this game have pretty awful HP growths but she seems to be proccing it a lot.

Noooo, he missed strength!!! I guess that streak couldn't last forever. Good job on everything else though.

This guy has an Armourslayer as well as the Steel Sword he's got equipped. That's the type of thing that can trip you up and get someone killed, although I didn't actually bring anyone vulnerable to it.

Having helpfully chipped a couple of enemies, Lilith gracefully exits the map. Don't worry, she'll come back. She respawns just like buildings do.

An important thing to note in this game is that the multiplier for Killer weapon crits is actually x4, not x3! So a crit from this guy would have killed Odin, had he the chance to hit him in the first place. I once got a unit killed by a killer weapon crit from an attack that would have otherwise done 1 damage when my own unit had 4 HP left. It was humiliating.

Odin really wants to be a good unit this run. Who am I to stop him?

Niles becomes more Nileslike. Yay Niles.

Oh I forgot to screencap the end slate but I think that was 12 turns? I also got two DVP which means I can afford two buildings! Invasions give 2 and a half DVP as a reward for completing them which is very cool.

...invasions are short and the next update will likely be quite long so I'm getting a load of castle stuff out of the way here.

Silas x Corrin A, Niles x Mozu & Odin x Niles B, everyone else C. All of these conversations were genuinely interesting, I'm a little sad I'm not posting them. You can probably find them pretty easily if you search though.

Am I ready for Chapter 10? Maybe... I'll definitely be buying a tonic or two before then.

Azura
Songstress (HS: Sky Knight)
A+ Support Classes: Elise (Troubadour)
Personal Skill: Healing Descant (Allies within 2 tiles recover up to 10% of their HP at the start of player phase)
Growths (With Default Class):
HP: 25% (25)
STR: 50% (60)
MAG: 25% (25)
SKL: 60% (70)
SPD: 60% (70)
LCK: 40% (60)
DEF: 15% (15)
RES: 35% (35)

Azura is this game's Dancer unit, although what she actually does is sing. There is no FE game in which a Dancer is not, at the very least, one of your best units. Letting one of your units move again is just a really really useful thing! It lets you move units farther than they normally could in a turn, it allows your best combatant to attack twice, it lets you fix positioning errors... No matter how you play the game, you're always going to want to make room in your army for your dancer.

Azura however is special in that the mechanics of Fates are really kind to her. There are three things she has going for her that most other dancers don't, and those are: Special Dance, Dual Attacks, and the Shelter skill.

Special Dance is a skill that Azura gets at level 10 that boosts the Skill, Luck, and Speed stats of the unit she dances by 3 points for a turn. Thanks to her early join time and the high rate at which she earns EXP, she'll probably unlock it quite soon. Dual Attacks allow Azura to make use of her weirdly high strength growth without ever initating combat herself, something a dancer pretty much never wants to do. It also lets her contribute to combat without ever getting hit, something that would otherwise spell doom for her. Lastly, the Shelter skill can let her dance more than a single term per turn, although it takes some setup and isn't easy to pull off. An unpaired Azura dances a unit, another unit Shelters her, a third unit swaps Azura from the Shelter unit's formation to their own and then swaps their formation, putting Azura in front so she can dance again. She won't be able to move from where she is without ending her turn, but if you plan carefully you can absolutely do some neat tricks with two dances in a turn regardless.

Combatwise, Azura hits fast and hard and dies if anything ever hits her back. Some Dancers can be weirdly tanky when fed EXP, Azura is not one of them. She's also quite viable as a combat unit, especially as a Kinshi Knight where she can take advantage of high mobility and ranged weapons to strike without being hit, but the waste of her refresh ability is absolutely not worth the cost unless you're just messing around. If you want then you can grind Azura to level 40 in Chapter 5 if you have like 3 hours spare to get a briefly monstrous combat unit, but you should never do this.

Azura's growths matter more when considering her as a mother. Her kids will be fast and strong and not impacted too hard in the magic department if they're meant to be magical attackers, but they will be a bit squishy. Regardless of husband she will always have a unique child of her own, Shigure, so you will need to consider the stats of her husband when marrying her off if you want to optimise your child units.

Friendship sealing her with Elise is absolutely not worth it so don't bother unless you really don't want a Dancer. I guess Azura could make use of some of the class's passive abilities, but even then you'd be depriving yourself of refreshes for at least a chapter...

TL;DR:
Pros
  • She is a Dancer
  • Surprisngly good dual attack utility
  • Heals close allies with her personal skill
  • Will always have twins, giving you two child paralogues, one of which is easy EXP
  • Can dance twice in one turn with careful use of Shelter
  • Seriously she's a dancer what else do you need

Cons
  • Squishy

My Rating: Should maybe consider learning a second song to sing

Nyx
Dark Mage (HS: Outlaw)
A+ Support Classes: Mozu (Archer), Effie (Knight), Charlotte (Fighter)
Personal Skill: Countercurse (Enemies receive half the magical damage they inflict on enemy phase)
HP: 30% (30)
STR: 5% (15)
MAG: 50% (70)
SKL: 35% (35)
SPD: 50% (60)
LCK: 20% (20)
DEF: 15% (20)
RES: 30% (40)

Oh boy, it's time for the worst unit in Conquest...? Second worst, perhaps? Maybe third or fourth? I think there's some not so good prepromotes and kids with awkward recruitment chapters that you could say are less useful. If you don't consider pair-up stats to be part of a unit's useabiliy then I think you could argue she's better than Charlotte...? Maybe Benny too if you're super into good turncounts?

Anyway. Nyx has exactly two good stats, magic and speed. And they are both pretty good, although I don't think a natural 50% in two good stats is enough to justify a complete lack of growths anywhere else. She hits fast and hard and can do so with relative safety. Odin, who is otherwise a great Nosferatu tank, struggles a little in the "actually dealing magical damage" department, so she's definitely got that over him. Elise requires a Master Seal in order to make use of her great offensive stats, Camilla's magic is pretty bad, and Leo won't be showing up for a while, so Nyx does have some time as the best user of tomes to deal actual damage. Otherwise... she's not very good.

Nyx's absolute non-existant bulk makes her rather hard to use. Her HP and defense will rise once in a blue moon, and her average resistance fails to tank much when her HP is so low. Countercurse, while a cool ability in theory, does not do very well when the target barely has any HP to countercurse with in the first place. Nyx will die if anybody so much as thinks mean thoughts in her direction. Her skill and luck are also atrocious so she's going to have trouble hitting a lot, and be in danger of getting crit to death by any attack that isn't already one-shotting her. Her bad accuracy can be fixed somehwhat by Heartseeker, but standing right next to an enemy more often than not means eating a counterattack she really can't afford to face. It is safe to say that she will really struggle tanking with Nosferatu without tonics or a great support partner.

Otherwise, Nyx is mostly there for her utility. As a support partner she gives magic and speed, making her a great wife for Odin or Leo. Her stats mean any kid she has will be fast and magical, although even glass cannons like Ophelia don't appreciate Nyx making their defenses even worse. As an Outlaw she can open locks and shoot enemies from far away with the Shining Bow, and maybe even kill some flying units with regular ones if her weapon is good enough. Adventurer Nyx can make use of her magic stat to heal, too. A Nyx who's going to be a support partner and nothing else is a good candidate for early promotion, something she'll only need to earn a single level to qualify for. As a Dark Knight or Sorcerer she can even contribute fairly well to early game combat before eventually turning into a stat backpack.

Nyx is definitely an underwhelming unit, but even she has ways to contribute even without seeing any combat at all. I think that makes her better than a lot of other games's bad characters. That's pretty cool! And if you really want, you can give her a good support partner, some statboosters, and maybe a tonic or two, and she'll be a cool offensive mage who can last into the lategame. She's certainly not unusable!

Friendship seal wise, Nyx can potentially appreciate the Archer class. It'll make her more accurate and give her some cool skills she can take back into classes that suit her more. She can also get HP + 5 from Fighter if you really want...? And if you really, really want, you can make her a General and slap a Bolt Axe on her. I'm sure that would at the very least be pretty funny.

TL;DR:
Pros
  • Passable base stats, high tome rank, and proximity to level 10 make her able to be useful offensively right after joining
  • Probably your best offensive mage for the earlygame without reclassing Elise
  • A very good wife for the magically inclined

Cons
  • Poor accuracy limits her offensive capability
  • Terrible bulk, dies to almost anything
  • Needs reclasses to function as a support unit beyond being a stat backpack
  • Requires heavy investment to be worth using over mages such as Leo past the earlygame

My Rating: The third best girl in Hades?

Next time: Camilla.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
It says something about Nyx that even in the Bad Units Run I was doing of Conquest on Hard, I was legitimately unable to find a use for Nyx past Chapter 10. She's simply too squishy to ever see combat in any amount, and even her killing power is unimpressive. She was relegated to permanent backpack duty immediately after finishing off one or two enemies in the next level, while every other unit (yes, even Charlotte and Felicia) still saw plenty of combat.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

But Charlotte is good?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FoolyCharged posted:

But Charlotte is good?

What, haven't you ever heard of Good Charlotte? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=desJKYvdq9A

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

There's a handful of characters who are simply better in their secondary classes. Mozu, Laslow, Silas, Jakob, arguably Arthur and Elise. Nyx is definitely one of these. Sealed to Outlaw at base will give her 16 speed and a whopping 4 strength, but 4 +18 = 22 and that's her minimum damage output against anything that flies. Possibly twice if she's fast enough. She's also much better as an Adventurer than either Dark Knight or Sorcerer, and if you're not using a servant or Elise then a second healer will be useful. Your next one doesn't show up for 6 more chapters.

She's never going to be great, but she can be useable. And it's fun to take trash units and do outrageous things with them.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly Adventurer Nyx sounds better largely because magic bow + staff sounds better than simply tomes given her combat problems.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Thanks to this lp I'm playing along, but on Hard mode. I've got Bow Knight Felicia, Cavalier Arthur and Archer Nyx and I'm also about to do Chapter 10.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Keldulas posted:

As bad as the writing in this game is, I actually like the writing on this map. Azura got screwed by your defection, so the Hoshidans try to kill her. She's fleeing/hiding, and has to sneak to a chest to grab a weapon so she can fend for herself. It's reasonable map-based story-telling, which is neat to see.

That's... not what happened at all. This is an insanely stupid and nonsensical plot point, even for Conquest. For one, it's made a point that the Hoshidans dragged her here before killing her for some reason, they weren't chasing her, and she then escapes (because they apparently have no idea what guards are). That's a huge issue. Why? Let's pull up the Fates world map.

Quick question, where's Fort Dragonfall on that map?

IT'S RIGHT OUTSIDE THE NOHRIAN CAPITAL. As poor as Fates worldbuilding was, every other mention of the fort in the game at least manages to figure out that it's way inside Nohrian territory. Meanwhile, here a significant force from the nation currently on the defensive has somehow occupied a key military fortification deep in enemy territory.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Well, to be fair to myself, I never looked at the world map for Fates because Fates generally sucks on the writing coherency.

To be less fair to myself, I don't generally look at video game world maps anyways.

When it comes to Fates, the best the writing can really be is good on an individual scale. But your points made, even ignoring the world map thing, kind of make this one fall apart even on that level. A pity, I was actually trying to give the game some credit and look where that got me.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
i did kinshi knight azura just to get her amaterasu and she capped all of her offensive stats by the time she got it LOL

She's such a menace and possibly worth feeding your Seraph Robes to

Unfortunately unlike Olivia who can be fed Spirit Dust and given Swordfaire to make the Levin Sword a usable ranged option, Azura can never get Lancefaire without specifically marrying Corrin exactly.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

theshim posted:

It says something about Nyx that even in the Bad Units Run I was doing of Conquest on Hard, I was legitimately unable to find a use for Nyx past Chapter 10. She's simply too squishy to ever see combat in any amount, and even her killing power is unimpressive. She was relegated to permanent backpack duty immediately after finishing off one or two enemies in the next level, while every other unit (yes, even Charlotte and Felicia) still saw plenty of combat.
If I could change unit stats in this game I'd love to give Nyx a little boost. Like maybe give her a little more HP so she can do some countercursing... And give her like +20% in magic and speed. Go all out with the glass cannon thing. I think either her or Setsuna have the lowest growths of any non-prepromote unit in this game?

FoolyCharged posted:

But Charlotte is good?
okay maybe saying charlotte was worse in combat than nyx was mean : (

I like Charlotte and she's fun but her poor bases make her feel frustrating to use, and she's quite a late joiner too. It doesn't help that her join chapter saddles her with a Steel Axe she can't hit anything with and Gamble to make her accuracy even worse. I think if they made her join 3 levels higher and bumped her stats up to match I'd like her a lot more.

Walla posted:

Thanks to this lp I'm playing along, but on Hard mode. I've got Bow Knight Felicia, Cavalier Arthur and Archer Nyx and I'm also about to do Chapter 10.
Nice! Good luck, I hope Archer Nyx turns out well.

Keldulas posted:

Well, to be fair to myself, I never looked at the world map for Fates because Fates generally sucks on the writing coherency.

To be less fair to myself, I don't generally look at video game world maps anyways.

When it comes to Fates, the best the writing can really be is good on an individual scale. But your points made, even ignoring the world map thing, kind of make this one fall apart even on that level. A pity, I was actually trying to give the game some credit and look where that got me.
I'll be honest I kind of just assumed Fort Dragonfall was on the border too. I have 0 idea where anything is in this game.

Faillen Angel posted:

i did kinshi knight azura just to get her amaterasu and she capped all of her offensive stats by the time she got it LOL

She's such a menace and possibly worth feeding your Seraph Robes to

Unfortunately unlike Olivia who can be fed Spirit Dust and given Swordfaire to make the Levin Sword a usable ranged option, Azura can never get Lancefaire without specifically marrying Corrin exactly.
I considered mentioning Amaterasu in my analysis of her, it stacks nicely with her innate healing and is cool. I just wasn't really sure it was worth the grind to get it.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

It's time for the most infamous chapter in all of Conquest. Either it's the best chapter in the entire game and possibly the best defend chapter in the entire series, or it's a horrible nightmarish slog that can get you stuck for hours. Or maybe it's both of those things.

Some prep work must be done for this chapter. Green is the best colour in the weapon triangle for this chapter (I really hope they keep colour coding it, it's very nice and makes it more intuitive if you know that grass (green) beats water (blue), and so on).

The Steel Bow is for Niles so he can do more damage, the Iron Axe is a mystery tool that will help us later. I do already have one but Elise is using it.

Silas is a firm believer in Wyvern Rider Elise, although she's a way off of being one woman stampede yet. Seeing a port with a cracked wall makes me nostalgic for Paper Mario 2. When does Bobbery join our party, I want the treasure behind it.

Takumi is here and he is upset. Understandably so, considering the circumstances in which we left Hoshido.

Okay! Time for this absolute doozy of a chapter. There's a lot going on here, but it's hard to properly understand what needs doing until you've played it through once before.

The objective is to stop any enemy from seizing the four green tiles at the top of the map. The best way to do this is not to pile all your best units at the top and make a big wall like some defend chapters want you to do, but rather to go on the offensive early to wipe out as many enemies as you can and keep the front line as far away from the objective as possible. Trying to play this map any other way will get you overwhelmed in the last few turns when all the enemies begin to aggro and the reinforcements start pouring in in huge numbers.

Alternatively if you're a pro you can just rout the map with a load of carefully built units. It is possible to do this but I have never managed it!

There's also 4 houses that aren't in any danger, besides the danger of the map ending before we can reach them. Two of them are basically free, the other two require some aggression on your part. The hardest one to visit is also the least vital, but it's still in your best interests to grab them all.

Takumi is here too. He won't move, and you can't end the map early or stop reinforcements by defeating him, but he will activate a dragon vein on turn 6 or so which will make things harder for you. You can either ignore him the entire map or you can play super aggressively to take him out before he activates his thing. He drops an Elixir if you beat him but honestly it's not worth defeating him for that alone.

He's equipped with the enemy (or paid DLC) only skill Point Blank, allowing him to attack at 1 range so he's not a complete sitting duck. He's also got Wary Fighter to prevent you from doubling him (and the other way around but he's too slow for that anyway), as well as his own personal weapon Fujin Yumi, which hurts and gives him a not-insignificant crit rate. Unless you know what you're doing I would leave him be.

His retainers are also here, and they serve as minibosses for the map. Hinata guards the left side, Oboro guards the right (and also a village). Nither one will move until either Takumi activates his dragon vein or you enter their range, but they will move to assist enemies in dual strikes and then retreat after that if nobody else is in their range.

Hinata gets + 6 speed and + 10 def when attacking, and Oboro gets both Seal Def and Strength. They also get move + 1 thanks to Lunatic. Keep away from them unless you've got a plan to defeat them.

This little square where we start comes with 3 different siege weapons, 2 bow ones and a magic one. They can't kill units and they don't give EXP to the user, but they can weaken them and they deal damage in an area of effect around where you aimed. It might seem strange that the game gives you one Fire Orb and two Ballistae when you've got two Dark Mages and only one Outlaw, but there's a few reclasses you could have done up to this point that would let you shoot both Ballistae at once.

A good Effie could one-shot these Ninjas, as well as Silas if he's got a good weapon or pair-up. Unfortunately mine cannot do that even with a tonic, and I don't have any partners to spare for him. Considering how blessed mine was in strength I think he'd need to be able to wield a Steel Lance to do it.

All that said and done, the best way to play this chapter is to just wing it, fail horribly, and then patch up your mistakes on the second attempt. I gave Odin a defense tonic, Niles a defense and HP tonic, and Elise a skill and strength tonic. A little expensive, but they should come in handy!

Oh and this is most important of all. Trust me!

Before I begin: a lesson on overextending, and the deceitful nature of the 83% hit. Seriously never trust 83 or 87 in this game those two numbers are evil. This happened when I made an incredibly aggresive play that relied on Corrin hitting a good but not perfect hit. Moves like this aren't so bad early in the chapter, but the more painful a reset would be the less of a great idea they become! Good thing this wasn't an ironman.

First of all, Niles visits the village on the right. This is nice, but I won't be promoting anyone just yet.

Silas drops Corrin into range of these Onis. Sometimes a Corrin can double and kill these enemies with the Yato, but mine is a bit too slow for that so she has to rely on the Dragonstone and dual strikes instead.

Elise flies over the wall to defeat some Spear Fighters on enemy phase. She could do so with an Iron Axe, but taking a tonic allows her to do it with a Bronze one while still having passable accuracy.

Passable as in "82%", which when she needs to hit twice to kill is not perfect.

Here come the Sky Knights. Some of these are aggressive and will target your units, some will ignore them and head straight for the objective, although I think those ones will still attack your units if they can do so while also expending all of their movement in the direction of the objective? I think this first wave will always try to attack you if they can.

Odin finds that one good house that gives money instead of chocolate. He and Nyx will be handling the left side by themselves.

Niles softens up the approaching Archers so he can finish them off when they attack him. The enemy archers will use your Ballistae against you if they can so it's important to make sure they don't get that far.

Sometimes numbers work out in your favour by sheer coincidence. What a lovely clean kill.

Silas and Corrin really have been making a great team. If Corrin missed then Elise could fly over to mop up, but she didn't.

Careful positioning lets Azura be safe from the approaching Sky Knights. They can't double her and don't deal enough damage to kill, but I'd still prefer they attacked my stronger units who could hit them harder in retaliation.

Silas's position allows him to take out a second Ninja on enemy phase, but at the cost of eating a direct shurriken hit and a debuff. Steel Shurrikens lower strength so this does inconvenience me quite a bit,

I don't think it would be impossible for an Elise with C rank axes to one-shot these Sky Knights, so long as she had a strength boosting meal in addition to the pair-up and tonics she has now. She would probably miss them though.

...what I probably should have gone for was making her fast enough to double instead. Too late for that now!

Some reinforcements of your own will show up around turn 3. Don't listen to Beruka, she's an assassin so her moral judgements are questionable at best.

Some reinforcements and also the best unit in the entire game. They did make me cry, Camilla... They ruined my first attempt by killing Silas : (

Big sister is here to save the day! Some prepromoted units come with "flaws", for "balance". Camilla is unfamiliar with the concept. There is a lot to say about Camilla but right now what you need to know is that she flies, she one-rounds nearly every single enemy on the map, and she barely takes any damage in return. She will also earn about 1 EXP per kill but don't let that make you reluctant to use her, this map is absolutely balanced around the introduction of Camilla and you are going to have a horrible time if you don't use her.

Watch out for Archers though. They still two-shot her.

Beruka joins at the exact same time as Camilla, doing her no favours as far as first impressions go. Once she gets going she's a very distinct unit with her own niche, but right now she's effectively a Camilla with less range and much worse stats. She won't be one-rounding anything but her great mobility and flight still make her a good option for dealing with Sky Knights. Let Camilla lead the charge while Beruka mops up stray enemies and defends the point.

Selena is here too, although she's definitely the least useful of the three. Just like Beruka she can assist in mopping up stragglers, or she can be paired up with someone else who might need the extra speed. If you want then you can have her visit the rightmost house right next to her joining location to have her pick up the Master Seal, promote her with it, and then have her shoot things with a ballista or a Bronze Bow if you've got one going spare. Doing so will ruin her longterm viability but if you know she's going to end up benched or as a pair-up partner it's not a bad option.

The three of them are a bit far from the action. At least they're in position to wipe out that Sky Knight!

Camilla shows up to grab the Iron Axe and Azura dancers her to send her off on her merry way. Knowing that Camilla and her gang will show up lets you plan around her, which is part of why this map can be so much trickier on a blind playthrough.

Camilla can double Sky Knights with Iron, or one-shot them with Steel. I'm not actually sure how the maths works out here, but I always assumed the Iron option was safer. With a 1 RN system that probably wouldn't be the case, but with Conquest's 1.5 RN one then maybe...?

It sure is taking a long time for these Onis to break down this wall. Odin shall give them a slurp of encouragement.

Waiting on the ballista will make sure the Archers can't take it for themselves. It also lets Niles shoot everyone who's coming to approach him. The Archers he can counterattack, not not the Spear Fighters...

Selena makes herself useful and cleans up the targets Elise failed to hit. High accuracy trumps weapon triangle advantage in this case.

Beruka will help Niles take down the Spear Fighters once the Archers are gone.

Jakob would never miss a target with his 20 skill. It's a shame he stopped getting strength...

Silas hides behind a wall to attack so he doesn't get himself killed in the same way he did last time. Of course this time Corrin hits a 3% crit instead of missing like she did before.

oh you will, will you

Camilla gets a clean kill on Oboro when equipped with an Iron Axe. Otherwise she'd need extra support to make the double, and a unit who does not kill Oboro will find themselves saddled with -6 strength and defense. Taking out Oboro like this early in the chapter is extremely helpful, and it also means every other enemy in her posse will throw themselves against Camilla and die too. A Camilla who whiffs either of her 88% hits however is going to get saddled with -6 attack and defense, so be warned!

Tonics let Niles tank these Archers without dying. Normally I'd give him a strength tonic too, but with the Steel Bow or prior ballista damage he can still make the kill.

It is in fact possible for Camilla to be worn down by mere mortals, and some of these Onis have a 1% crit chance against her. You'd have to be unlucky for it to happen, but it can.

Now this is the true power of Odin. Takes a hit, counterattacks and restores all the damage back. Odin can tank this single tile chokepoint with ease.

This map is starting to get crowded. Can't we just do a Robin and set their boats on fire?

Beruka can take these fighters out with dual strike assistance. Niles takes the oppurunity to heal with a Vulnerary.

Camilla might be the MVP, but Azura allows her to be Camilla twice in one turn.

Silas's job is now to hide behind a wall and throw things at ninjas. It's not glamorous, but it's helpful.

Selena doesn't need this vulnerary. It was awfully kind of her to bring it with her.

> : (

Oops, there goes the wall! And there goes Silas's job.

The paired-up Sky Knights have arrived. This formation doesn't make them much more effective in combat, but it does force you to defeat two units instead of one to halt their advance.

Camilla once again demonstrates that the enemy cannot seal your stats if they are dead. The first round of Spear Fighters from the left didn't have this skill, but these ones do.

The Dual Club is a normally Hoshido-exclusive axe that reverses the weapon triangle. Useless in this chapter, but very handy otherwise. This villager portrait is cute...

All tribute has been gathered. I don't know who this will go to. + 2 defense is nice but missing this statbooster isn't the end of the world. If I had to choose I'd take the club over it.

Oh no you don't! Sending Niles up to the right means he can't shoot all the Sky Knights, but some are dumb enough to get close.

The worst thing about the sky duos is that they both lower Camilla's accuracy and become too fast to get doubled by the Iron Axe, making her prone to unlikely but still possible chapter ruining misses. Thankfully none of them are close enough to the objective for a miss to be fatal.

Wiping out this Sky Knight in addition to all those Spear Fighters on enemy phase will be worth luring Hinata over. Camilla won't be much good against him, but my other units should be able to take him out...

I don't think these ones are aggressive but Azura gets a protective wall build around her just in case.

Some of these Onis have Lunge to prevent you from cheesing this one-tile chokepoint. Thankfully it's nothing but a nuissance here.

He's not exactly threatening to Camilla but he's also not dead, which means my other units will have to deal with him.

Takumi demonstrates the immense power of dragon veins and drains the entire ocean to stop us... Or maybe he just swaps it from high tide to low tide. Either way, the map is now looking very empty, and what used to be chokepoints is now empty space for the enemies to run through unobstructed.

Dual guard means Niles can tank these Archers without dying. The ability to counterattack and build dual guard gage twice as fast makes units significantly tankier.

Not great, but being bulkier will help Odin a lot right now.

The always helpful Silas turns a gamble into much less of a risk. If I had planned this better I would be using VoF Silas to rout the map instead of just having him chuck Javelins.

It could be over if Corrin just walked those weird dragony hooves a couple of feet forward and stepped on his neck. Go on, do it! You're evil now.

Three 15s in a row. A very appealing stat spread. Oh and also a pretty great level.

Finally hit that 20% strength. Might even see a couple more of those before she promotes...

The last wave of reinforcements is here and it is a big one. This group might look far away, but with no water to block their approach they will quickly become a problem. As was pointed out earlier in the thread, a Camilla with a magic tonic and a thunder tome could one-round all of these Oni Savages even if they attacked from a distance. Unfortunately I forgot to give her one.

The appearence of this Ninja messes with my plans a little. Odin can tank these other guys, but the Ninja complicates things... He retreats just out of range of both the Ninja and an Oni with lunge who could drag him back in range.

Pairing up Beruka with Camilla is a bit of a tradeoff. An unpaired Camilla is at risk of being worn down or crit by Onis, but with the defense boost she also becomes too bulky for some of them to bother attacking. I'd rather play it safe though.

Very nice.

Niles helps weaken the oncoming invaders a little. It is in fact possible to shoot your own allies so don't do that.

Hmm, maybe Odin needed an HP tonic to make this a bit safer. He can still retreat but he is rapidly running out of retreat room.

It doesn't help that half my army is all the way down here. Maybe I overextended a little.

It's fine, this is looking more manageable. An Effie pair-up might have benefitted Odin more than a Nyx one - his bulk is a little flimsy and hitting enemies too hard with Nosferatu means there will be less HP to steal back on the second hit.

3D maps are cool and all but I didn't even notice that guy was there, hiding behind his friend and under the bridge.

Ooooh I don't like this. It kills, but there's that 1% chance of death...

It went fine, but Silas still ate a counterattack I didn't want him to.

I managed to untangle this mess, but that was scary! I think I focused so hard on pushing forward that I forgot to defend the actual objective, it was a mad dash to get my army back in time to back up Odin.

One more turn. I can win this! Don't worry about that Sky Knight, they are absolutely going to die.

If only Elise had reached this earlier! Then she could have missed all those Sky Knights with a Steel Axe instead of a Bronze one.

Last level before the end, and it's a good one. Bulk is rare for Azura and any point she gets might end up being a hit she survives on one HP.

That... was stressful. Always is!

I think I could have done this better. Corrin and Silas were two of my best units and yet they didn't do much beyond the first few turns, and Niles might have been better used in the middle where he could have shot down more Sky Knights. I don't know who would have fought all the Archers in his stead though.

I didn't! But one day I'll pull off the Takumi boss kill flex.

Next time: Hexing Rod

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Nah, not understanding Fates geography or seeing the world map is perfectly understandable, as their world building is both poor (didn't even name the continent) and an absolute mess. The chapter still wouldn't have made sense anywhere else though, as it's still a group of Hoshidans just randomly occupying a fort in Nohr - and not one on their border since you're traveling to an independent country/territory/whatever nowhere near said border - that no one comments on as unusual despite them being the defensive side in the conflict. It's just even more absurd it being where it actually is.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I've almost never had Selena work out for me. One time she got absolutely blessed with like 4 str in a row on a Revelation run, and that game also gives her to you before units Are Bad, but other than that she consistently fails to hurt things.

Beruka, on the other hand, is an absolutely :allears: unit.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

midnight lasagna posted:

I like Charlotte and she's fun but her poor bases make her feel frustrating to use, and she's quite a late joiner too. It doesn't help that her join chapter saddles her with a Steel Axe she can't hit anything with and Gamble to make her accuracy even worse. I think if they made her join 3 levels higher and bumped her stats up to match I'd like her a lot more.

Dump all those performance enhancing drugs you've been pointlessly hoarding on her. Charlotte would absolutely use them without a second thought.

midnight lasagna posted:

It could be over if Corrin just walked those weird dragony hooves a couple of feet forward and stepped on his neck. Go on, do it! You're evil now.

They're actually curled up hands with like... fingers. The design is awful and creepy and I hate it so much.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 9, 2021

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Chapter 10 is such a good map. Camilla is a great unit and this chapter really lets/forces you to use her well.

As for the two retainers, I've never had Selena turn out well either. My Berukas end up just being a def wall with low damage, but a mobile wall is at least a useful role.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
This is the peak of Conquest. This map is absolutely incredible, the Dragon Vein gimmick is brilliant and I beat this the first time by opting to kill Takumi early to stop the activation because I couldn't figure out how to win it defensively. Camilla in particular also feels great to use as you have this monster of a unit flying around murdering everything in sight. It felt amazing to do and I left feeling incredibly proud of myself for coming up with that as a solution.

To me, at least on Lunatic, the game is all downhill from here. Where maps like and of this difficulty are great, they need to be placed sparsely lest a player begins to feel exhausted by the game. Going forward, almost every single map is going to be as hard as or more difficult than this map, with gimmicks that aren't nearly as good. And it is mentally exhausting, Quickly, the triumph of a hard fought victory, like here becomes relief that you don't have to do x map again. There is a balance between difficulty and enjoyable play and Conquest Lunatic unfortunately doesn't get that balance right going forward. (I say as someone LPing Three Houses Maddening right now and loving it)

It's probably unfortunate for me that Selena is my favourite character in Fire Emblem by miles because I was never ever going to give up on her and holy poo poo did she turn out badly for me, even classed into Great Lord with the DLC.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Camilla and Beruka soaring dramatically down from the sky while Selena jogs up behind them on foot, exhausted

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

megane posted:

Camilla and Beruka soaring dramatically down from the sky while Selena jogs up behind them on foot, exhausted

To be fair they offered her a lift but she refused

This LP inspired me to pick up Fates again against common sense. I won’t be doing lunatic but I’m gonna try Conquest Hard again

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

This is my favorite map in the game, and it's up there for favorite in the series. One thing that's great is there isn't a right way to do it. I usually route everyone except Takumi, though I didn't manage it on my current run.

Odin always handles the archers. With a pair up and some tonics he's in no danger from them and counters at range. A sword guy with an attack pair up can handle the onis to the left: usually Servant and Corrin/Silas since the first pair are free kills and the first Throwing Club jerk will always go for maximum damage, which is usually your servant. Niles softens the Onis in the south twice and the remaining sword guy with an attack pair up can bait and kill for easy cleanup. Hold the middle, Odin takes right and someone else takes left while Camilla controls the southeast.

2 archers make this map a breeze. Archer Nyx with a +1 Bronze Bow can one-shot every single pegasus on the map, so level 1 Mozu should be able to do the same? But maybe Nyx gets more strength from Archer than Mozu does, I don't have a spare Heart Seal to check.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
You’re making me want to dust off the 3DS (and find it) to play some Conquest. Ignoring the story would be the smart thing, and honestly the maps are well designed.

I normally give everyone a Bronze weapon so they can nullify a 1% crit if need be.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Effie bends the bars of Haitaka's cell and grants him his freedom. He's so grateful that he joins our group. Possibly because anybody who could bend steel bars could easily do the same or worse to human bones.

As I said before I'm not planning on using him, but Haitaka could easily be slotted into your army as an actual unit for the long term. I won't post his growths because if I did that for every generic I'd be here forever, but he's got 65% str, 60% speed, and 45% def as a Spear Fighter, and combined with his great bases that's pretty nuts! Definitely makes up for his complete lack of supports. Unfortunately he's only got 20% luck and his base isn't good either.

He also has Quick Riposte, Rally Defense, and Seal Defense. Rally Defense is the biggest part of his appeal, and even if it is a Wyvern Lord skill that's easily accessible in Conquest it's not something you'd be able to get this early in the game. He would also get the Swap skill if you leveled him up once, a nice positioning tool that's otherwise unavailable without a specific talent from Corrin.

Maybe you can't gamble at the Lottery, but you can gamble in the Arena. Cabbages don't grow in my castle so I'm betting the one I got at the Lottery to get more. Units can't die here, but you do lose whatever you bet if they don't win. The potential loss of dinner doesn't quite inspire that mix of excitement and fear that a potential loss of life does.

Nice. I have three of these now. Considering Odin's personal revolves around forges, maybe I should forge him a Thunder tome... He did just win in the arena after all.

Forging in this game requires you combine 2 of the same item along with giving up some materials. My castle's material is Emeralds, which is used to forge bows. To forge anything else I'll have to swap it for another ore at a rather terrible exchange rate.

You don't get to choose what stats you forge like you do in most other games. Each level of forge increases stats a little. Other attributes such as accuracy won't start going up until we reach higher forge levels, and they scale rather weirdly. A level 2 forge would only put 2 extra hit on this thing despire also giving it 4 extra might.

To forge a level 2 tome I'd need to combine 2 level 1 forged tomes. So the amount of tomes needed goes up in powers of 2. The maximum level of forge would require 256 tomes, which is... expensive.

Can you guess what I've been playing recently? Naming weapons after video game references feels a little lame but it's the type of thing Odin would want. All that stops him from being a Gamer is that video games don't exist in his world. I need to give the tome 12 characters or more so it will activate his personal skill and give him extra crit when he uses it.

...upon editing I feel the need to clarify that's capital G Gamer like in the way Gamemaster Anthony is a gamer, not in the way someone like Notch is a Gamer. I wouldn't slander my boy Odin like that.

Beruka x Camilla C. Not many supports this time around. Beruka is Camilla's retainer so their support builds very fast. But there is one more I can unlock...

Arthur x Elise S. They are married now. This would be very sweet if it weren't also a bit creepy. Again, liege x retainer supports build faster than others which is why this one unlocked so fast.

Just like Awakening, S supports make babies! Unlike Awakening, there is absolutely no good reason why they make babies. Everybody who's played Fates knows about the Deeprealms, everybody who's played Fates hates the Deeprealms. I won't beat that dead horse.

Instead I'll say that story contrivances aside, I actually like the child units in Fates more than Awakening! From a gameplay perspective, anyway. Somehow the kids in Awakening all feel a bit samey to me - they're all Est/Villager style units who start out bad but end up amazing. Not particularly helpful when they first join, but they become super good when you feed them EXP. Unfortunately that's kind of everyone in Awakening, it's a game where the best way to play is to pick a very small handful of units, feed them all your EXP, and demolish every map with them. I never really understood why you'd replace the parents with their kids in the first place, since they've most likely already gone through the "start off bad but rapidly snowball into amazing" stage. Maybe that's just because I've played too much Lunatic mode.

Well besides "because they're cool". Optimising kids and giving them fun hair colours and silly skills is the entire point and it is very fun grind them up and demolish the game with silly big numbers. There is a degree of min-maxing silliness that's not really possible in Fates. I just think that outside of the super hard paid DLC there's nothing the kids can do that their parents can't already, and they take more effort to get there.

The join level of child units in Fates scales with your story progress, so they'll likely join around the same level as the rest of your army. Fates's exp formula is much less friendly to overleveling than Awakening's too, so it's not really possible to overlevel a parent and have them far beyond the power of their kids by the time they join. Instead of starting off bad and being able to grow past their parents and replace them, they're more on the same power level and tend to be different rather than strictly better. It's up to personal preference which system you prefer, but I like how Fates does it more.

All that aside, let's take a peak at this child's joining chapter. I'm not going to recruit them just yet, but there's no harm in taking a look. Visiting this chapter now and then backing out won't stop both the kid and the map itself from being different if we come back later.

All that stuff aside, I... don't actually want to use Percy. I might change my mind later, I might not. Elise's influence as a mother will turn any unit into a magical glass cannon, a thing which is good for magic users but less so for physical attackers. Percy's access to a mixed class in Malig Knight make it plausible for him to mixed, so he's one of the few physical-leaning units who won't be ruined by having Elise's genes. Unfortunately I'm planning on using both Malig Elise and Malig Camilla so Percy's going to be a kind of weird middle ground between the two who will have trouble fitting onto my team.

Unlike Awakening, the map difficulty also scales with game progress. Or at least the enemy levels do. The enemies are all level 9 or 10, but they're still equipped with super good skills and there's absolutely loads of them to fight. Camilla could probably take on most of the map herself since she's still very powerful compared to the enemies we're fighting, but I'm going to delay the map just a little so I've got more of the units recruited that I would want to give EXP to.

Here is everyone. No Camilla because she hasn't gained a single level, but I am planning on using her!

Camilla
Malig Knight (HS: Dark Mage)
A+ Support Classes: Elise (Troubadour), Selena (Mercenary), Beruka (Fighter)
Personal Skill: Rose's Thorns (+3 damage dealt and -1 damage taken for allies within 1 space)
HP: 40% (40)
STR: 50% (65)
MAG: 25% (40)
SKL: 50% (60)
SPD: 55% (60)
LCK: 25% (25)
DEF: 35% (45)
RES: 45% (60)

It's Camilla! From the title of this LP! She's famous!

Camilla... is good. Really really good. Easily the best unit in the game, unless you value Azura's dancing abilities more. There's a lot to say about why she's so good, but she is really, really... good.

Malig Knight is an amazing class to have this early, and possibly one of the best classes in the game. 8 move, high stats all around, an amazing set of skills, and access to two very good weapon types that allow her to attack from both sides of the spectrum. Camilla's magic stat isn't particularly great, but she loses absolutely nothing from having the option to use it regardless. Not only are her base stats high for how early in the game she joins, they'd be good even if she joined at a time where all your other units had been promoted, too. Take away Camilla's promotion gains and she's got 18 strength, 18 speed, and 17 defense, a combination that's easily on par with some unit's level 20 unpromoted stats...

...except Camilla was actually promoted at level 10. Camilla's internal level is that of a unit who promoted the instant she was able to, which means she earns EXP at the rate a level 15 unpromoted unit would. Normally promoting this early would come at the cost of performance in the lategame, but Camilla absolutely gets to have her cake and eat it too. She still won't earn any EXP in her joining chapter, but from that point onwards she will level up noticeably faster than a 20/1 promoted unit would, meaning she can demolish foes much weaker than her and still earn a decent enough reward for it. I personally wouldn't feed Camilla kills she doesn't need to make until chapter 13 or so, but there's nothing stopping you from demolishing entire maps with her if you want. She's not invincible, thanks to her weakness to bows and wyrmslayers, but enemies will otherwise struggle to get through her solid defenses.

Much like Elise's, Camilla's personal skill is also an amazing support tool, although it won't actually benefit her in any way. Unlike Elise however she's much more capable of fighting on the front line, making it much easier to grant the bonuses it gives to other units in the thick of battle. A great way to feed EXP to other units is to have Camilla weaken an enemy with a weak magical attack, and then have another unit stand next to her to receieve +3 to their damage output and deal the finishing blow.

Camilla's growths are absolutely through the roof, which is usually a rare thing for a prepromote. 50% strength and 55% speed put her on a level similar to units like Mozu, Charlotte, and Peri, except unlike them Camilla doesn't have to suffer through mediocre bulk or bad base stats. Any child she's the mother of is going to have high growths, and likely will inherit a great Malig Knight skill too. There is pretty much no child in this game who would not appreciate her as a mother, which makes it all the more a shame there's only one of her to marry off.

Camilla does have some flaws, beyond those of the class she joins in. Her starting skill is a little shaky and her luck stat is mediocre, and won't be getting any better thanks to her bad 25% growth. That's nothing a Goddess Icon can't fix, but it's still a minor issue. Camilla might start off completely indistructable, but as you progress through the game she'll slowly come down to earth and end up a "merely" above average unit as the difference between her and the rest of your army lessens. An earlygame Camilla is unstoppable, a lategame Camilla starts to lean towards being more of a fast but slightly fragile attacker with some accuracy issues.

Camilla has a few reclass options, although she's still a great unit even if she never leaves her base class. Wyvern Lord is the most obvious, trading her mediocre magic for better stats elsewhere. It's not a bad option, but reclassing her will make her miss out on Savage Blow and Trample, so you might end up reclassing her back at some point just to grab them. Sorcerer can be fun but isn't really an optimal choice, especially since her magic isn't so hot. Bow Breaker can be a useful unlock late in the game, although bow users have so many ways to raise their hit rate and will most likely kill her in a single hit if they hit her in a flying class, so it might just be better not to let her near any archers. Heartseeker and Malefic Aura can fix her accuracy issues and help her magic damage output as a Malig Knight a little. Dark Knight is just going to be a worse Malig Knight.

Camilla can also A+ support Beruka to snag the Fighter class. Berserker Camilla will bring her strength and speed through the roof and make her a much better Charlotte, although it will also make her luck issues even worse. At the very least it's not a bad idea to swap into Fighter briefly to grab HP + 5. Supporting her with Selena is also an option, but unless you really want her to be a Bow Knight for whatever reason it's better to go with Beruka instead. Her A+ support with Elise isn't worth it unless you want to dress her up as a maid, which, you know, fair enough. You do that if you want to!

TL;DR:

Pros:
  • Amazing join class and amazing base stats
  • Brilliant growths that can easily be specialised further with reclasses
  • Earns EXP faster than the average prepromote
  • A great mother to any child
  • Highest natural mobility out of any dragon vein user
  • Amazing even as a support unit thanks to her personal skill, can use weak tomes to set up kills for others

Cons:
  • Mediocre skill base and bad luck base and growths hamper her accuracy
  • Is merely mortal and still vulnerable to specialised weaponry

My Rating: booby

Selena
Mercenary (HS: Sky Knight)
A+ Support Classes: Camilla (Wyvern Rider), Beruka (Wyvern Rider), Peri (Cavalier)
Personal Skill: Fierce Rival (If user is supporting a character in attack stance and the lead units gets a critical hit, this unit will also crit (attack can still miss, does not activate for weapons that cannot crit))
HP: 40% (50)
STR: 30% (45)
MAG: 5% (5)
SKL: 25% (45)
SPD: 45% (60)
LCK: 30% (35)
DEF: 45% (55)
RES: 30% (35)

Selena... well she's not awful, and she's got some things going for that nobody else does, but the two units she joins with really don't do her any favours by comparison. Neither does her personality...

Selena's got a strange stat distribution that makes her a weird sort of mix between a dodge tank and a regular tank. Defense as a second highest growth is odd to see for an infantry sword unit. Her base stats are actually pretty decent for her join level, and she's fast enough to double most enemy types with no help. Unfortunately, while her high speed and defense make her good at surviving combat, she's not so good at actually hurting the enemy.

Selena's growths aren't very good in a lot of areas, and without the solid boosts that the Mercenary class gives she's just a unit with okay bulk and speed and not much else. As a Hero she'll be pretty balanced all round with capable enough offenses. As a Bow Knight she'll be fine too, although both her offenses and defenses will take a hit. A prepromote Bow Knight Selena can be useful enough in the short term, and will make a great support partner for whoever she marries, or even Camilla.

What is interesting about Selena is her access to the Sky Knight class. Excellent mobility aside, the class doesn't do her any favours in terms of combat. It sticks her with E rank lances, it makes her offense even worse and takes away some of her bulk, and mostly just makes her fast and nothing else. She will at least have good resistance in addition to decent defense! Sky Knight Selena however will have access to the amazing Rally Speed skill, otherwise only available through Azura and her children or Corrin (or a Percy with Beruka as his mother thanks to Conquest's weird way of dealing with inheritance). What you can do if you want is reclass Selena into a Sky Knight, raise her to level 5 promoted, and then use a Friendship Seal to grab Wyvern Lord from Camilla or Beruka and end up with a fast, bulky Wyvern Lord with two different rallies (3 if you dip into Bow Knight for Rally Skill) and an already build lance rank. The Wyvern Rider class is not a bad fit all for Selena, it shores up her mediocre offense, it compliments her already good bulk, and she'll still keep her good speed. You may instead prefer to reclass her into a wyvern as soon as possible and only dip into Sky Knight for the rally skill, which is probably better for her stats but will use up an extra seal.

Otherwise she's a perfectly fine support partner and not a terrible mother. Oh and her personal skill is an excellent example of integrating a character's personality into their gameplay... and also is pretty much useless. I'm sure you can get some good use out of it if you try, but I don't think I've ever had it activate.

TL;DR:

Pros:
  • Has a niche as a fast and bulky unit
  • Has another niche in being able to access the normally Hoshidan Sky Knight class
  • Can be promoted early very easily in Chapter 10 to provide temporary combat utility and good support bonuses

Cons:
  • Bad offenses and mediocre growths
  • Her best reclass options don't make any use of her sword rank
  • Mediocre growths make her not great as a mother for some children

My Rating: The Hatsune Miku hair colour should have been canon.

Beruka
Wyvern Rider (HS: Fighter)
A+ Support Classes: Camilla (Dark Mage), Selena (Mercenary), Charlotte (Fighter)
Personal Skill Opportunist (+4 damage dealt when attacking an enemy that cannot counterattack)
HP: 45% (55)
STR: 30% (45)
MAG: 10% (15)
SKL: 55% (65)
SPD: 30% (40)
LCK: 45% (50)
DEF: 40% (60)
RES: 20% (20)

Beruka is a unit that's easy to overlook thanks to joining at the exact same time as Camilla, while on all fronts appearing to be a worse version of her. That is definitely not true in practice, but even if it were, a worse version of the best unit in the game would still be a good unit.

Beruka is bulky. As a professional assassin you might expect her to be fast and strong but die to a stiff breeze, but Beruka is a Knight with wings. High bulk, skill, and luck is a rather weird combination of stats for a flying unit, and it's part of what makes her such a unique and interesting character. Beruka makes an incredibly good "bait" unit. Fly her ahead into a swarm of enemies, watch her not die, and then pick off the weakened soldiers that attacked her with the rest of your army. Her strength growth might be pretty awful, but her solid base and strength + 2 skill means she'll still be hitting hard for a while.

Opportunist is a fun skill, and is effectively Quick Draw but for cowards. Beruka's super high skill and luck mean she'll have high accuracy even with awful ranged weapons such as Hand Axes, so she can chuck those from range to insure she gets the damage bonuses. The +4 damage bonus, Beruka's... not non-existant magic growth, and her mediocre strength make Malig Knight not a terrible promotion option for her. She will be doing okay damage slinging tomes thanks to Opportunist, and Savage Blow will make her player phase contributions even more useful. I wouldn't recommend it unless her growths work out weirdly or you really want a good Savage Blow player phase unit, but it's not an awful alternative to Wyvern Lord.

In any other Fire Emblem game, reclassing your Wyvern Rider into a Fighter would be the worst deal imaginable, but Fighter's base stats and growths complement Beruka's weird stat spread extremely well. It'll shore up her bad strength and speed, while her naturally great accuracy and bulk will make up for the class's inherent flaws. Beruka is probably the only unit in the entire game who would want to run Gamble 100% of the time, thanks to how naturally accurate she is. HP + 5 will help her bulk even more, and Rally Strength from Berserker will compliment Wyvern Lord's Rally Defense nicely, so it's worth dipping into at least temporarily.

Otherwise Beruka makes a good pair-up partner and a not great mother. Her A+ support options aren't worth much, although she might like Quick Riposte from Mercenary. Also did you know that Beruka in Revelation is the only first gen unit able to fill all five of her skill slots with rallies without having to marry Corrin?

TL;DR:

Pros:
  • Flying brick who can be supported either to have good offenses in addition to defenses, or to make her nigh-unkillable
  • Amazing personal skill lets her hit hard despite mediocre offensive stats
  • Wyvern Rider & Fighter is possibly one of the best class combinations in the entire game, both compliment her natural stats excellently
  • Great accuracy makes her a reliable attacker

Cons:
  • Underwhelming offenses and speed limit her combat potential when not attacking on player phase
  • Low strength and speed make her a dubious choice for a mother when optimising children
  • Weakness to bows and wyrmslayers limit her defensive capability in her default class

My Rating: "..."

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

midnight lasagna posted:

Neither does her personality...

I WILL FIGHT YOU.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I don't like the kids in Fates. With few exceptions their personalities are horrid, and unless you go out of your way to put some powerful skills on them they often end up the same or worse than the units you already have.

Percy is a great example. You can throw Elbow Room on him easily and give him a great mom like Effie and he'll do maybe 1 point more damage than Beruka at base with less defense. So he's a worse Beruka, and that's true for all of them.

Velouria and Ophelia are pretty much the only kids who have worked out for me. The rest are only good for the rewards their paralogues bring.

Also if you're going to instantly promote Selena, you may as well make her a Kinshi Knight. She'll basically be a copy of Reina from Birthright.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've never played Fates (if it ever gets ported to the Switch I might), but Conquest seems particularly ill-suited to children characters and late arrivals, given how limited your time is to raise people and even to make sure you get the requisite supports to produce the children characters.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I've never played Fates (if it ever gets ported to the Switch I might), but Conquest seems particularly ill-suited to children characters and late arrivals, given how limited your time is to raise people and even to make sure you get the requisite supports to produce the children characters.

Eh, the kids work a lot better than Awakening’s in that regard, the kids scale up to your story progress and come with an item that’s basically a unique promotion + levelup seal if they hit 20. Like, the kids are obviously a slapdash addition in some spots in that you can definitely make “bad” kids in a way you couldn’t in Awakening cause the growths are different but they actually work much better as instant roster fillers and probably better for that purpose the longer you play since even your own units don’t get guaranteed weapon ranks from promoting which kids do.

You won’t get every kid without a deliberate effort or spotpass grinding (you can’t level up in them but you still get support ranks) but from a purely mechanical standpoint they’re probably better implemented in the campaign than Awakening.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Not really. The children level up as you progress, and after Chapter 18 they will be level 20 with a special seal that will auto promote them a couple of levels. You can grab a level 5 promoted unit near endgame if you want. But the enemies in the paralogues scale up as well.

The children just are kind of lackluster in this game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Not much to add other than the fact that every time I've used Selena she's turned out to be extremely solid, for some reason.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
I am extremely fond of the Fates kids despite them really having little reason to be here. I dunno, they've just got that same flexibility, I like most of them as characters, they're fun. I'm also part of the group that tries to do well by Selena despite her almost never actually working out for me, so I might just be giving everyone too much slack.

Incidentally, this LP has gotten me to dust off my 3DS and play another round with the Expanded Same-Sex Marriage Patch, aka Gay Fates. So thanks for the inspiration.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My only issue with Selena is when she joins there's not often room for her. She can put in a little bit of work in the next chapter, but Chapter 12 is gotta go fast is 13 has very limited deployment slots, though she can be useful with an Armorslayer.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
As batshit awful as the reason for the kids existing is, I appreciate that they try to integrate it more into some of their core personalities, as opposed to Awakening's kids being 50/50 on whether the horrible future affects them in a particular support. Ryoma's kid is especially funny, because he isn't even told that he's next in line for the Hoshidan throne, which says more about Ryoma than any of his supports do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Faillen Angel posted:

As batshit awful as the reason for the kids existing is, I appreciate that they try to integrate it more into some of their core personalities, as opposed to Awakening's kids being 50/50 on whether the horrible future affects them in a particular support. Ryoma's kid is especially funny, because he isn't even told that he's next in line for the Hoshidan throne, which says more about Ryoma than any of his supports do.

I've been reading Fates' supports and mission scripts.

Ryoma doesn't even tell his kid where Hoshido is. He is quite possibly the worst dad in the entire game, and boy is that saying something.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jadecore posted:

I am extremely fond of the Fates kids despite them really having little reason to be here. I dunno, they've just got that same flexibility, I like most of them as characters, they're fun. I'm also part of the group that tries to do well by Selena despite her almost never actually working out for me, so I might just be giving everyone too much slack.

Incidentally, this LP has gotten me to dust off my 3DS and play another round with the Expanded Same-Sex Marriage Patch, aka Gay Fates. So thanks for the inspiration.

On my Birthright playthrough, I believe I had F!Corrin marry Rinkah, who is delightfully tsun.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

A lot of people have said they're trying out Conquest again because of this LP, and that makes me very happy. I wish you all the best of luck!

Obligatum VII posted:

Dump all those performance enhancing drugs you've been pointlessly hoarding on her. Charlotte would absolutely use them without a second thought.

They're actually curled up hands with like... fingers. The design is awful and creepy and I hate it so much.
If I had plans to use Charlotte this run I'd maybe consider doing that, although speedwings are what I'd want her to have the most and I don't think you get any until she's already been in your army for a little while.

I forgot about the fingers. Dragon Corrin is extremely creepy but I kind of like how they look just because of how weird the design is.

Natural 20 posted:

This is the peak of Conquest. This map is absolutely incredible, the Dragon Vein gimmick is brilliant and I beat this the first time by opting to kill Takumi early to stop the activation because I couldn't figure out how to win it defensively. Camilla in particular also feels great to use as you have this monster of a unit flying around murdering everything in sight. It felt amazing to do and I left feeling incredibly proud of myself for coming up with that as a solution.

To me, at least on Lunatic, the game is all downhill from here. Where maps like and of this difficulty are great, they need to be placed sparsely lest a player begins to feel exhausted by the game. Going forward, almost every single map is going to be as hard as or more difficult than this map, with gimmicks that aren't nearly as good. And it is mentally exhausting, Quickly, the triumph of a hard fought victory, like here becomes relief that you don't have to do x map again. There is a balance between difficulty and enjoyable play and Conquest Lunatic unfortunately doesn't get that balance right going forward. (I say as someone LPing Three Houses Maddening right now and loving it)

It's probably unfortunate for me that Selena is my favourite character in Fire Emblem by miles because I was never ever going to give up on her and holy poo poo did she turn out badly for me, even classed into Great Lord with the DLC.
I do get what you mean about the high density of difficult maps, but what stops them from being overwhelming for me is how few of them require you to play fast. Even some of the trickiest ones like Takumi's Great Wall will let you sit still and reorganise your army for as long as you want to deal with the next obstacle. A long string of chapters like 10 and 12 would definitely get exhausting, so I appreciate slow turtley chapters like the one I'm about to do.

Walla posted:

This is my favorite map in the game, and it's up there for favorite in the series. One thing that's great is there isn't a right way to do it. I usually route everyone except Takumi, though I didn't manage it on my current run.

Odin always handles the archers. With a pair up and some tonics he's in no danger from them and counters at range. A sword guy with an attack pair up can handle the onis to the left: usually Servant and Corrin/Silas since the first pair are free kills and the first Throwing Club jerk will always go for maximum damage, which is usually your servant. Niles softens the Onis in the south twice and the remaining sword guy with an attack pair up can bait and kill for easy cleanup. Hold the middle, Odin takes right and someone else takes left while Camilla controls the southeast.

2 archers make this map a breeze. Archer Nyx with a +1 Bronze Bow can one-shot every single pegasus on the map, so level 1 Mozu should be able to do the same? But maybe Nyx gets more strength from Archer than Mozu does, I don't have a spare Heart Seal to check.

Walla posted:

I don't like the kids in Fates. With few exceptions their personalities are horrid, and unless you go out of your way to put some powerful skills on them they often end up the same or worse than the units you already have.

Percy is a great example. You can throw Elbow Room on him easily and give him a great mom like Effie and he'll do maybe 1 point more damage than Beruka at base with less defense. So he's a worse Beruka, and that's true for all of them.

Velouria and Ophelia are pretty much the only kids who have worked out for me. The rest are only good for the rewards their paralogues bring.

Also if you're going to instantly promote Selena, you may as well make her a Kinshi Knight. She'll basically be a copy of Reina from Birthright.
I think what I like about Chapter 10 is how it feels like it's designed exactly with the units you could have in mind, yet it's also very flexible in how you can do it. As difficult as it is, it never feels like you're being asked to do anything unreasonable, and there's lots of ways to approach it. It would probably suck in an Ironman though.

I still prefer the Fates kids even if they're easier to screw up with a mediocre parent. Some kids like Sophie can be worse versions of their father if you're not careful but I still appreciate that they can be immediately useful if they join promoted unlike the Awakening kids who are hard to make work in no-grind runs, at least on the higher difficulties. Ones gated behind high difficulty maps like Noire and Inigo while still having bad joining stats are the worst.

theshim posted:

Not much to add other than the fact that every time I've used Selena she's turned out to be extremely solid, for some reason.

No idea what that drawing is a reference to but I love it. Do you have a source?

Cythereal posted:

I've been reading Fates' supports and mission scripts.

Ryoma doesn't even tell his kid where Hoshido is. He is quite possibly the worst dad in the entire game, and boy is that saying something.
God Ryoma is absolutely the world's worst father. Shiro deserves a cooler dad!

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Time to visit the Rainbow Sage. This is something that happens in every route, and every time there's a different gimmick. In Birthright, you face a bunch of enemies that have one stat capped and one at 0, with some really weird setups like a capped res no defense General. In Revelation, the gimmick is... there isn't a gimmick, unlike every other map in that route.

Awesome.

Sorry Selena & Beruka, I have no plans to use either of you... besides as support partners, maybe. Camilla's coming along since even if she won't be earning much EXP, she will help me not die.

This is a very strange map even before you get into the weird gimmicks it has. It consists of 6 different rooms, each linked by flights of stairs. Your units can warp between rooms using the stair tiles, which is a free action that costs no movement and doesn't end your turn. You can even use any excess movement you had left over when you entered the stairs. The left and righthand rooms are each separate paths that branch off of the starting room and meet back in the middle.

While normally a little tricky, this map is very easy to turtle your way through thanks to the amazing defensive utility of stairs and the complete lack of any sort of time pressure. The enemies in each room cannot use the stairs and will only aggro if one of your units enters a room or enters their range, and will walk back to their starting positions if you leave. Lunatic mode however throws a few curveballs...

The lunge ninja room now has an Oni with a Hammer. He's meant to make it a lot harder to beat this room with Effie and a Javelin, who takes little damage and can potentially one-shot a Ninja before it can Lunge her.

The room with the Hexing Rod and all the miracle Diviners now has an Archer. Camilla cheeses this room really easily and barely minds the Hexing Rod at all, but this Archer can easily kill her.

The room with all the Onis has a Seal Speed Ninja to slow down any speedy sword or tome user you were planning on beating the room with. Normally you could throw Corrin or Selena or Odin into this room and be fine.

Lastly, the Counter Archer room has a Diviner to, uhh... well I'll be honest he doesn't really do much of anything. I guess he's there to be able to attack Niles without being counterattacked, but Niles barely fears him at all. He's just there to complete the pattern.

Oh and the Samurai room has a Diviner and a Ninja to mess with your physically defensive units. This room is the deadliest of all, and also the only one that's non-optional. Fun!

There's no real need to split your army, but it makes things go a little faster. Corrin is going with the right gang but can't change her starting position. Camilla, Jakob, and Azura really want to be on both sides, but they're going on the right since I think they'll be more useful there. There's also a chest to grab on both sides but with no time limit Niles can swing by to grab both when the chapter's nearly over.

Nosferatu Odin is a no brain strat that clears out this room easily. Almost every unit here has Counter, but unlike Awakening it does not trigger on enemy phase, meaning the enemy cannot run straight at you to kill you with it. If it did work like that then the Diviner would be a lot harder to deal with!

Corrin and Silas wait just outside the Ninja's range. Unfortunately this also puts them in range of Rinkah, who hits hard and attacks at a distance.

Odin's brief streak of glory is over. Back to these types of levels...

Vow of Friendship activates to allow Silas to absolutely annihilate this ninja. Once again, the best way to deal with debuffs is to one-shot the unit that gives them.

Jakob and Camilla were standing here as backup but they can easily escape back up the stairs now they're not needed.

When Azura's got nothing else to do she should ideally be building supports with someone, who in this case is Jakob. Both of them are support units who don't contribute much to combat, so they have a lot in common!

Who needs careful positioning when you have Nosferatu? This Archer has counter but you can't counter when you're dead.

Oh and Setsuna is here too. She does not have counter, but she does have a special bow that lets her attack at either range, as well as Quick Riposte. Much like her playable self in Birthright she's not very threatening here.

Can't let Odin get all the EXP. Heartseeker lowers Setsuna's avoid so Elise doesn't miss her and get turned into a fine red mist in retaliation.

Decent.

Camilla will spoon feed her sister kills by heckling the enemy from a distance. Clubs are weaker than Axes but have higher crit rates, but Camilla doesn't care even if she does get crit.

...immediately I regret this because Camilla eats a -6 res debuff. All the Onis have Seal Resistance to soften up your units for the next room. You can just wait 6 turns for the buffs to go away though.

I do wish Rinkah would join you after this chapter, if only so someone else could grab her cool class. What's Hoshido ever done for her?

Time to not heal Corrin because I'm saving VoF for later. I must be vigilant and not heal her reflexively whenever I see her low HP bar.

This room looks a little challenging. If you can one-round the Oni then he can't Lunge you and he poses no threat. But I don't think I can...

Elise could just about reach the threshold with a Steel Axe, but if she misses (and she'd have a pretty good chance to) then she'd be toast. Odin meanwhile is nowhere near fast enough to double.

Unless...?

Niles's support gives him exactly enough speed to double the Oni. Of course that's entirely unnecessary if he's just going to do this.

Meanwhile, Camilla needs to be able to one-shot this Archer and double him to dispose of him with no danger of Miracle activating. It's merely a 4% chance for this unit, but that's still a 4% chance of Camilla getting arrow'd.

Nobody here will move unless you enter their range, so I can move my units forward while I figure it out.

This jerk comes with a Hexing Rod, a Hoshidan staff that cuts a unit's max HP in half... for the rest of the chapter. It does not wear off and you cannot restore it with an item or skill. You either need to take out the wielder quickly or find some bait who doesn't mind getting their HP cut in half.

Of course Azama is very resistant to being taken out quickly, thanks to his good bulk and plethora of skills that make rushing him a bad idea. He's got Counter, Miracle, and a personal skill that acts as a slightly worse counter but only when he's unequipped. Said skill is completely useless for him as a playable character but will ruin your day when he's an enemy.

Or I could just... not put her in range of the Archer and lure all the Diviners over instead. I'll wait for her res to recover before I do that though.

Meanwhile nobody I have on the left side wants to be in the ninja room, so progress on that front is going to have to wait.

Azura gets a lot of EXP when you're just waiting around for debuffs to go away.

Then I remembered that Jakob exists and would do a better job of luring the mages than Camilla would. He also doesn't mind eating a hex rod use at all, but that doesn't matter when it misses him anyway!

This is nice. Can't double even with Corrin's help though...

Begone, foul Archer. Miracle can't save him if he takes a hit at 1 HP!

This time Azama manages to hit his target, dropping Jakob's HP to almost nothing. Thankfully he'd still need to get hit 13 times by this mage before he dies.

Incidentally, Miracle proc'd twice here. It's only a 10% chance, but it's a 10% chance that will screw you if you rely on it not happening!

Oh you are so not defenseless. You're also a big jerk so you get no sympathy from me, even if your supports are kind of funny!

This is the divine retribution you get when you strike down a servant of the gods.

Okay, so. If I have Silas use his massive power to eliminate one dangerous enemy in this formation, I should be able to have him survive the enemy phase... Unfortunately there's a Poison Strike Ninja here, so I'm going to have to do some calculations in my head. Even if he can't damage Silas, he'll take 5 HP off at the end of combat, and lower his defense by 4...

I stalled three extra turns for this vital part of my plan: Inspiring Song (and not special dance like I called it in my analysis...). It will make Silas just fast enough to avoid being doubled by a Samurai with Life and Death, a deadly skill that increases damage dealt by both parties in combat by 10. Of course Silas would be strong enough to one shot him in retaliation, so in practice he wouldn't get to double, but...

...but I guess this skill was pointless after all? Oops.

Yeah that was definitely pointless. Whoopsie.

Here goes nothing. Those Samurai pairs wouldn't be a problem normally, but thanks to the Ninja debuffs they'll hurt Silas a decent amount. They also come with Lunge which means any attempt to lure the enemies over would instead have them drag my unit in range of everyone else.

I've done the calculations, Silas can survive! I hope. Dual guards and defense drops and poison strikes make my head hurt.

You'd think I couldn't complain about this, but even 1 extra point of bulk would really help right about now.

Yep, they were correct. Silas is alive, and everyone is softened up a bit and out of formation. Now this should be easy to clean up!

Now I just need to... escape somehow... Hmm.

Don't worry, this is a teaching moment! It is important to plan more than one phase in advance sometimes. The enemy is minus one Diviner but Silas cannot reach the stairs, and thanks to my VoF strategy both he and Corrin are on death's door, and all the healing I have is a Vulnerary.

Camilla grabs Jakob, gets Inspired by Azura, and doubles this Ninja. Inspiring Song saved me after all!

I switch to Corrin, she grabs Jakob, and stands next to Camilla and chugs a Vulnerary. All of this gives her as much bulk as physically possible. I deliberated on this a while and I think this was my best option...

Everybody decides to pile on Camilla instead, which I didn't really expect. I'm glad Azama missed her with a Hex earlier, but she still would be alive without the extra HP...

Unfortunately Corrin still can't escape, but she can kill this guy to make things easier...

And then Camilla can take back Jakob, make Corrin equip her Dragonstone, and use her speed to take out the lone Samurai. That's one enemy pair taken down...

Okay yep she definitely needed that Hexing Rod miss. I sure am glad things worked out the way they did.

Corrin still cannot escape, but Camilla flies down the stairs to be danced back up and put Jakob into position to give her a passive defense boost from the safety of this corner.

The reduced damage is greatly appreciated, even if it's only a small reduction.

Ohhhh my god that took like 20 minutes of panic thinking. But everyone is safe, and now they can be healed back up to full. I maybe could have planned that better, but I also could have planned that much worse!

A quick breather while everyone heals...

DIE

Well that fiasco extended the chapter by like 12 turns, and I still haven't found out how to beat the Ninja room with these clowns. Time to cheese it.

It's Kaze! And he's level 12. He joins at level 9 normally if he didn't get any EXP in the prologue chapters... Does this mean he'll be worth more EXP because I leveled him up a lot?

He's got Vantage and Heartseeker to mess you up a little, but otherwise he's just a slightly scarier Ninja than the rest of the ones in his room. I don't think his personal (Miracle but for units next to him, not himself) works when he's an enemy himself.

Pretty much all of these rooms are a lot easier if you cheat and do them from behind. If Camilla had gone down the left side instead I'd have done this with her...

I pressed start to skip the animation and I missed a crit... And everybody else missed their EXP! Nice job, Niles.

Time to rob the Rainbow Sage of his personal possessions. The Spirit Dust boosts magic, and the Enfeeble staff will be very useful for a boss next chapter...

Now to disentangle this mess. None of these fliers can actually move, but they've all got annoying skills. In addition to her own personal skill boosting her ally's attack by 2, she's also got Inspiration adding a further +2 to attack and defense. Not only that, but she's got an enemy/DLC only skill that makes her immune to anti-flier weapons and allows her to take advantage of terrain effects. So basically there's no point to her being a flier at all...

The jerks to the left and right of her have Bolt Naginatas. They don't hit hard, but they can surprise you.

Thankfully Hinoka's reluctance to move makes her and her friends easy to gang up on. Silas gets a boost from Camilla to one round this generic.

Silas is standing next to two royal princesses and is paired up with a third, he is invincible!

Silas,

Hinoka's personal cleric heals her back up. She's got an entire army to herself tucked away behind her...

Including these Samurai with Gentilihomme. They are mostly there for moral support.

Azura getting lots of levels is generally a sign I'm not playing very fast...

Only Wyvern Riders are allowed to be Corrin's sister.

How did this even happen? That's her worst growth! This place is cursed.

Well that could have been faster. I also could have been dead, so I'll accept it.

I'd say that's a complete lie, but Corrin's miraculous ability to not kill people by hitting them with a sword seems to be unique to Conquest.

Now we have a Ninja! His stats were better when we fought him just a second ago...

Next time: Pottery is disrespected.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

midnight lasagna posted:

God Ryoma is absolutely the world's worst father. Shiro deserves a cooler dad!

It's funny that Takumi is actually an ok dad... you know, relative to the fact that all the parents in Fates are garbage for dumping their kids in the deeprealms. At least Takumi is supportive of his goober child.

midnight lasagna posted:

You'd think I couldn't complain about this, but even 1 extra point of bulk would really help right about now.

You *do* have that dracoshield from the last map... Silas has been such a trooper, he has probably earned it.

midnight lasagna posted:

How did this even happen? That's her worst growth! This place is cursed.

How do you think those stat inverted enemies in the Hoshido path got the way they were, huh?

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
This game is worth it if only for the tremendous amount of poo poo that Camilla gives Hinoka.