Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Lunatic Conquest came within inches of killing Fire Emblem for me. I loved Awakening to absolute pieces but holy poo poo this game was possibly the most oppressive thing I've ever done to myself.

I will respectfully but strongly disagree with the idea of the game being playable with any part of the cast though. From my experience, not playing with the royals led to a final map where I had to make excel spreadsheets charting every single move I made to have a meaningful chance of dealing with it. (In the end I gave up when I realised I was essentially just brute forcing a solution to the map with 20 minutes between each try)

So basically, you complete madman, I will enjoy reading this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I want to know what makes Odin good in this game.

I ran him unchanged through my entire Conquest Lunatic playthrough and yeah, I won't say he was useless near the end, but he certainly wasn't Awakening Owain, that's for sure.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
To briefly talk about the guys that won't be showing up in Conquest and why they were brought back beyond the pure numbers.

Cordelia and Tharja are both popular from Awakening for a few reason:

As units, they're both absolute killers representing the strongest of the Gen 1 generic units from that game, with Cordelia being hard hitting and incredibly mobile and Tharja being nigh unkillable. I'm often one to say that if a unit is immediately powerful in a game like fire emblem, that players will often come to like them for how well they're doing in game as well as their personality.

They both have distinct and well liked designs. Tharja, before she got flanderised in stuff like Heroes, being a bookish goth girl and Cordelia projecting a huge degree of confidence from her design.

And thirdly their supports. Tharja has surprisingly good supports with the majority of the cast, especially stuff like her supports with Lon'Qu (obvious issues around how future Tharja treats Noire notwithstanding.) Cordelia on the other hand has tremendously variable support quality, but crucially has one of the absolute best Robin C-A/S chains in the game, which means the support most people were most likely to encounter with her ended up being her best.

To this day Cordelia and Tharja are the two most popular gen 1 girls from popularity polls in Fire Emblem heroes. (Discounting ATiki who'll occasionally pop in to bump Cordelia down to 3)

Gaius remains more of a mystery. Crucially he stands out. Awakening's gen 1 men are a fairly bland bunch all things told. Chrom and Robin-M get a lot of the limelight from the fanbase because of how well portrayed their relationship is across the game. But among the rest, Gaius has a distinctive design and personality with his sweet tooth on full display in both. He's effective enough as a unit and he doesn't have a bad support in sight. Just as importantly, this was a poll after the Japanese release of the game, so Henry and Gregor, characters who are adored in the West, didn't have the benefit of their amazing translations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
This is the peak of Conquest. This map is absolutely incredible, the Dragon Vein gimmick is brilliant and I beat this the first time by opting to kill Takumi early to stop the activation because I couldn't figure out how to win it defensively. Camilla in particular also feels great to use as you have this monster of a unit flying around murdering everything in sight. It felt amazing to do and I left feeling incredibly proud of myself for coming up with that as a solution.

To me, at least on Lunatic, the game is all downhill from here. Where maps like and of this difficulty are great, they need to be placed sparsely lest a player begins to feel exhausted by the game. Going forward, almost every single map is going to be as hard as or more difficult than this map, with gimmicks that aren't nearly as good. And it is mentally exhausting, Quickly, the triumph of a hard fought victory, like here becomes relief that you don't have to do x map again. There is a balance between difficulty and enjoyable play and Conquest Lunatic unfortunately doesn't get that balance right going forward. (I say as someone LPing Three Houses Maddening right now and loving it)

It's probably unfortunate for me that Selena is my favourite character in Fire Emblem by miles because I was never ever going to give up on her and holy poo poo did she turn out badly for me, even classed into Great Lord with the DLC.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

midnight lasagna posted:

Neither does her personality...

I WILL FIGHT YOU.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
This game is worth it if only for the tremendous amount of poo poo that Camilla gives Hinoka.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Ugh Pot map though. Sure does suck to play when you don't know what any of the pots are actually going to do and have to reset every time someone eats a bad pot before enemy phase. It's not exactly difficult but it's just amazingly frustrating on the first run through.

Hunt11 posted:

That does make sense considering what has been shown so far in regards to pairings. Elise and Odin do not get much from being paired up but it does lead to their kid being an amazing magic unit.

Elise and Odin rule because she's the only person who's extra enough to keep up with him. And yes, making Ophelia a monster is good.

midnight lasagna posted:

New recruits! These two are Xander's retainers. We have Inigo from Awakening with a nicer outfit and Lissa with a dye job. Only the latter of those is a joke.

Laslow is like Selena but with worse speed and defenses, but better everything else (including HP). His combat is nothing special in this chapter but he does come with a personal skill that gives him a +1 str +1 speed rally. It is deceptively useful!

Pair up Laslow and Selena. Get the best support string in Fire Emblem, I dare you.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Walla posted:

The only other free classes are Great Lord and Lodestar which are Lucina's and Marth's classes from Awakening. You get them in the Before Awakening DLC.

In another great decision by IS, you can only have these classes in 1 save file on your whole system. You have to delete that save if you want the classes in a different file.

I had Selena cosplay as Lucina and if that's wrong I don't want to be right.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Man perhaps I was a little harsh on Conquest. I don't hate most of these maps now that I think about it a little.

I suppose the hellgrind starts with what's coming up though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I figured getting Nina into Bow Knight for a bit to help with Ryoma's ninja hell later might be a plan? I recall doing that myself and making that map a fair bit easier.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The answer is because Rallyman exists.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

FoolyCharged posted:

Welcome to every Niles support

Fun facts for why:
1) dancing gives 2/6 of a point to dual attacks 1/2
2) the number of points you get is capped at 3 for the highest scoring partner a unit has, 2 for second place, 1 for 3rd and none for the rest

So basically Azura levels up supports slower to begin with and can often have her support growth shoved aside entirely by combat units. Staves have a similar issue.

I hate Conquest so much.

"Man it's going to be great fun to see all these cool support conversations between characters in my army!"

"No that's banned because it might be imbalanced."

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Kitsune hell isn't the worst map in the game but it's up there.

It does herald the beginning of the dumb part of conquest though where almost every map is just utter hell.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Ugh christ this chapter when I wasn't running Xander or Leo.

And I badly felt I needed the experience so bypassing wasn't an option.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

So now that we've gone through Kitsune hell, Ninja hell and Mr Fuga's Wild Ride the worst is over, right?

Oh absolutely not.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Ahh the fun of Laslow/Xander.

X: You were holding back!

L: Noooooooo

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I remember recruiting Midori as quickly as I physically could in Conquest to try and abuse her personal skill and luck alongside merchant to generate gold.

It did not work very well.

Everything to Ophelia so that she's as strong as an Exalted one is mean to be.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The big problem for me here was that I burnt a lot of one use items and powers to get through this map without just ganking Ryoma and ended up being weaker for the even harder chapters later.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Last Celebration posted:

Eh, Conquest loves mean setups like having Lunge guys set up to ruin your day with chain grabs but it’s pretty good as a tool for that same purpose when you want to grab someone out from a wall or obstacles cause after all it is the command of a flying tanky class by default.

It's okay ish. The problem is on lunatic EPing is just so much harder than it is on lower difficulties. So you can lunge a problem foe into your lines but in return you best hope your tank is perfectly primed to mess with whatever they're being thrown into.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I remember killing everything on this map.

Another mistake that led to my inevitable end.

Also I forgot to add that because my Corrin would implode to Ryoma, I did Ryoma map on Lunatic by splitting my army.

Yeah that was dumb.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

midnight lasagna posted:

Fitting with the horrible and strange reality the Nohrian siblings have been suddenly faced with, this map is weird. This chapter is romhack levels of strange, and I don't mean it as an insult - I think it's genuinely interesting. You also have to replay it every time you fail the endgame map immediately after so any goodwill towards it will evaporate extremely quickly.

The secret to not having to replay this map over and over lies in Fates's option to change difficulty between chapters. I very definitely recommend you swap from Classic to Casual before attempting this for the sake of your sanity - even if you're resetting every time a unit dies, Casual allows you to make permenant map saves at any time. Endgame is one of the cruellest maps in all of Fire Emblem history and forcing you to replay the map before it between every attempt suuuucks. Making a map save on turn 1 isn't quite the same as letting you access battle preperations before the map, but it's close enough to save you a lot of grief.

...or you could use savestates. Savestates on your legitimate copy of Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest for the Nintendo 3DS.

I'm so mad right now.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
This chapter is what made me hate Conquest and Fates for the rest of time.

The no save decision is bafflingly stupid. The map is just brutally hard with nothing interesting to it because your movement is so restricted.

I beat this entire game on Lunatic Classic, completely blind, without losing anyone to this point and this single chapter burnt me out so badly that I didn't touch a Fire Emblem game again for upwards of three years.

I understand people enjoying Conquest but I just want to throw this stupid, stupid piece of garbage in their face every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Loved the LP!

I'm sad we didn't get to see more Selena or any of Soleil but equally I don't blame you for ignoring either of them when you want to LP lunatic conquest and stay sane.

What would be your overall longer term tips for dealing with Conquest in general? We got a very day to day account from the LP but more general ideas of what plans/strategies to hold to would be cool to know.