Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've heard horror stories about this. Will be watching with interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fortunately I started the series with Three Houses and don't at present have a 3DS, so unless this or Awakening or what have you gets ported to the Switch I'm in no danger.

I don't even know what's going on in Fates beyond the horror stories, tbh. The only proper LP of it on SA that I can think of that got anywhere was a video LP, which is a format I dislike intensely for a game like this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ajkalan posted:

The abandoned screenshot LP (requires archive?) is complete for Birthright and Conquest, just petering out at the end of Revelations. It's quite similar to the Awakening LP on the LP Archive by the same poster.

Well, this is odd. I followed that LP, and posted in it regularly. But I have no memory of it whatsoever. That... might say something about the game. :v:

The more I read that LP, the more I want to side with Nohr out of sheer spite for how magically perfect not-Japan is.

I'd probably buy Awakening, at least, if it got ported to the Switch. This kind of thing is why I prefer PC gaming, less issues with the gaming device going obsolete.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 4, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Normally I intensely disdain the kind, soft-hearted teenage healer girl kind of character, but Elise's choice of retainers raises my esteem for her immensely.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I seriously do not get Fates' choices of what Awakening characters to bring back. I found a list of them and my mental reaction was "rear end in a top hat, rear end in a top hat, amusing but one note, nonentity, rear end in a top hat..."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
More evidence in the "I just do not understand the Fire Emblem fanbase," I suppose. Only two of the people on that list I'm anything more than indifferent towards, and there's a few I positively despise.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, I consider Virion far and away my favorite man in the Gen 1 ensemble of Awakening. He's not a good unit, no, but to me he's funny without being a total joke and he gets some interesting characterization and depth to him, particularly with lady Robin.

Tharja is quite possibly the character I loathe most in all of Awakening. I've noticed I tend to intensely dislike characters I read as overly clingy to the protagonist, like Tharja in Awakening and all the lords in Three Houses (I think Chrom in Awakening handles it well), and my first game of Awakening I was running Robin as a dark mage focused character so Tharja was doubly redundant and offered nothing I needed.

But, I suppose I'm just very weird in my tastes compared to the norm in the fanbase as usual.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Let me guess, it's never going to come up that Mozu just joined up with the leaders of the empire that got her home and family massacred?

That would probably make for awkward supports with the Nohrian royals, I suppose. Though my immediate instinct would be to pair her with Xander. Congratulations, Mozu. You are now the queen-to-be of the empire that got your home and family wiped off the map. Don't you feel special?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

midnight lasagna posted:

She's a bit less gross than this type of character usually is.

And yet, every s-rank of hers I read on the wiki has her being insecure about her appearance and her husband-to-be going "Nah you're beautiful and I'm attracted to you just the way you are." :pedo:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've never played Fates (if it ever gets ported to the Switch I might), but Conquest seems particularly ill-suited to children characters and late arrivals, given how limited your time is to raise people and even to make sure you get the requisite supports to produce the children characters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Faillen Angel posted:

As batshit awful as the reason for the kids existing is, I appreciate that they try to integrate it more into some of their core personalities, as opposed to Awakening's kids being 50/50 on whether the horrible future affects them in a particular support. Ryoma's kid is especially funny, because he isn't even told that he's next in line for the Hoshidan throne, which says more about Ryoma than any of his supports do.

I've been reading Fates' supports and mission scripts.

Ryoma doesn't even tell his kid where Hoshido is. He is quite possibly the worst dad in the entire game, and boy is that saying something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My impression of this game, between this LP and Tae's, is that the Nohrians are meant to be bad guys and thus are permitted to have actual personalities, flaws, and complexities arising from their mix of virtues and flaws. Hoshido and everyone in it is "JAPAN!" written in crayon on a blank sheet of paper.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
After reading the wiki I'm rooting for Keaton/Azura if nothing else.

"...I'm holding a frog."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Honestly, I'm also kind of baffled that they'd put the returning hero characters on the bad guy side. I guess maybe IntSys felt they weren't Japanese enough to fit in with Hoshido?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't know. I think Three Houses is a testament to the problem of trying to make good and evil routes. Per IntSys in interviews, Edelgard's route was explicitly meant as a full-on evil route where you team up with the villain. But there are many, many people who vehemently disagree.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Jesus christ, do you not have anything better to do than trod this diatribe out again.

Calm down. I wasn't debating Edelgard's morality. I was just noting that IntSys described it in an interview, after release, as an evil route. And I also noted that many fans disagree.

I brought it up as an example of how trying to do morally grey/'bad guy' route splits may not be a great idea, because that kind of thing tends to depend heavily on the eye of the beholder.

I mean, I prefer Nohr in Fates out of sheer perverse spite at how magically perfect Hoshido is, but that's different. I think there's always a danger if you set out to write an alternate evil path that some people, by their own values and beliefs, will sincerely go "X DID NOTHING WRONG." And that kind of thing tires me, anytime it pops up.

I'd rather have one cohesive, well-written campaign with twice the content than two half-baked campaigns.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 15, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hunt11 posted:

That is the first I have ever heard of it being referred as such.

tl;dr (and please don't jump down my throat for this) there was an interview after the game's release where IntSys described Crimson Flower as the 'supreme ruler tyrant' route and that Silver Snow is the 'true empire' route, and that Edelgard was designed to be Byleth's dark mirror and arch-enemy. In case you didn't pick up on the subtext, the Crest of Flames is 3H's version of the Fire Emblem, and IntSys had the idea "What if the hero and villain of the story both had the Fire Emblem?"

Keldulas posted:

Yeah 3H's answer to just having a skill tax of Close Counter was kind of boring.

I think it also helped a lot that in 3H there were so many ways to get range beyond 2 tiles. I usually drop Close Counter from my archers late in the game because it just plain stops coming up.

golden bubble posted:

Fates is also where they start finally trying to make Armor Knights and Generals into an alright class.

I think that Armor Knights and Generals depend on map design more than anything else. Mobility tends to be king in most games, and that's what usually kills those classes.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 15, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FoolyCharged posted:

Uh, no, I would actually take a bad joke 1000% of the time over "hey player, it's not technically pedophilia *wink wink nudge nudge*"

Shoot, I would take an empty text field over that.

Also the whole 'she's your sister' thing.

I find it baffling that so many of the first gen in this game are Corrin's siblings, and that they're so good, because it kind of gives me the feeling that IntSys actively wanted you to press the technically-not-incest button.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I blame this thread for leading me to acquire a copy of Fates for my emulator and play Conquest first.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I like Keaton simply for his supports. That he seems like a viable combat unit is just gravy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I'm enjoying the gameplay so far, having only previously played Awakening and Three Houses. It's definitely a change of pace.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So far in my first go at Fates/Conquest I reclassed Mozu immediately and she's been a very solid archer for me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bogart posted:

This is the right decision. While Villager is technically its own class in Fates rather than a complete trap as in Awakening, Underdog skill is at best nice to have but not necessary and the Merchant class is a huge gimmick. Helps that bows have pretty respectable power in Fates so she can take kills without issue.

She is better than Niles in every single stat so far, and one of three members of the roster I can count on to kill in the clutch, along with Effie and Silas (and I guess Corrin with the dragonstone, but her STR and MAG have both been lagging). Although I am moderately desperate for Effie and Silas to start boning already so I can reclass Effie into something with more movement.

Genuinely enjoying the gameplay challenges of Conquest, and I have been using this thread as a reference for tips even though I'm not playing Lunatic. :)

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 22, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Conquest seems to have access to enough wyverns that I'm not sure spending a seal on making Xander into another makes sense, from my view where I'm at with the game so far.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Duly noted.

Fortunately, my plans for my game include giving Velouria access to sky knight. :black101:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't get the appeal of Capture, myself. Why would I sacrifice xp on the hoof for a unit that doesn't even have supports?

My Nina is turning out oddly well given your summary. Mine's mother is Selena, and this Nina evidently didn't get the memo that Selena was supposed to hurt her STR growth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This map was not fun to walk into, even if I had the tools to deal with it.

IntSys, when you heard me say that thieves could really do with more combat utility, this... isn't what I meant.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

marshmallow creep posted:

Just chiming in to say that Peri is one of the reasons I put this game down. There were others, of course, but I remember her character bringing me down because all her comic murder was a gag that did not land.

It's why I paired her with Laslowe in my game, putting two characters I loathe together.

Same reasoning that gets Vaike fathering Noire in most of my Awakening games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

midnight lasagna posted:

Seigbert's quite a handy partner for Ophelia... Unfortunately I don't think the two of them can marry. Unlike first gen units, not every kid can marry every other one.

Ophelia can marry all the Nohrian second-gen men, as it happens, including Siegbert.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

midnight lasagna posted:

Huh, seems like I was wrong then. Looking at Serenes Forest it seems like second gen units work just like first gen ones. Maybe I was thinking of Awakening?

My guess is a combination of that and Revelation supports being weird - there's very limited cross-side S-ranks available.

Ophelia in my game, on the other hand, married a werewolf. Henry is one proud granddad, his daughter in law is a dark mage who hosed up a ritual and was cursed to be forever young, and now his granddaughter has wed Nohr's prettiest werewolf.

Lissa... is probably going to have questions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, it's just plain fun.

Siegbert's supports with Velouria are genuinely interesting in my book, I aborted my plans to pair Siegbert with Sophie because I was much more interested in his supports with Velouria, and in my opinion it's the best non-comedy support chain I've seen yet in Fates.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

midnight lasagna posted:

Yeah I've really got very little to say about this guy. I told you these analyses wouldn't be very good! I'm sure someone on the internet has a lot of insightful commentary about the uses of kids in these games.

My take on him is about the same as yours. A late-joining cavalier with good stats (mine had Mozu for a mother) and no real place in the army except for using Gallant to further boost one of my many potent front line women (in my case, I stuck him with Velouria).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Tbh, my impression of Azura is that she's kind of an rear end in a top hat in general who would rather get thousands of people killed than admit any secret that might make her look bad or her feel uncomfortable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Walla posted:

And both routes would have been better without the wolfskin/kitsune maps. Both exist just to have Kaden and Keaton as enemies because they couldn't join the army for some reason.

To be fair, kitsune and werewolves both in the myths tend to be giant assholes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Azura can't hate foxes, her support with Kaden is like the only time she's a genuinely enjoyable character.

Her supports with Keaton are also pretty fun because she plays the sitcom straight man to Keaton being zanier than usual.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Leo and Xander are generally very susceptible to being Speed-screwed if you're unlucky. Xander can usually kinda make do with his high Def, but Leo's a bit shakier on that front.

Honestly Leo's not a bad unit, it's just that Dark Knight doesn't give him enough strengths to work with (being on a horse is bad for kitsune map and the horse mobility isn't as important on a lot of mid-game maps due to illusion gimmick or wind gimmick or you have to funnel your army close together anyway), and the growths are kinda wonky for Leo's bases.

This was my experience with Leo. He was... okay. Good MAG, iffy HP, woeful SPD.

Honestly, none of my Conquest mages turned out well. Leo was slow. Ophelia and Nyx were made of glass. Elise couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Felicia and Forrest (mother and son respectively) joined late and struggled to be more than staffbots. Odin was just bad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Peri's sad face appearing to cry a tear of blood will never not make me giggle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

midnight lasagna posted:

Keaton doesn't seem like a bad father for him, actually. He gets good stats, Rally Strength, he can inherit a cool beast skill like Better Odds...

This is what I did in my game, and Shigure was a monster. Velouria can also make excellent use of Sky Knight if you wanted another hard-hitting flier on the roster.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Confirming pretty much everything you said about Sophie from my own Conquest run. I had Effie!Sophie, and she was a monster from beginning to end, highest STR in the entire army at the end of the game. Joined early and consistently great.

I ended up marrying her to Forrest because stats that good deserve to be in the royal family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That's the same parentage for Midori I got in my campaign.

Never really used her, though, she joins fairly late and I was already well kitted out with archer types by that time. Also she's a jerk to Percy.