Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

midnight lasagna posted:

What is this?
This is a let's play of Fire Emblem Fates... specifically the Conquest route, one of three split paths the game offers you. Conquest is unique in that it features not only a higher level of difficulty than any other route, but also prevents you from grinding extra experience or gold in optional chapters, requiring a high level of resource optimisation and careful planning... In theory. It's not quite as scary as it sounds! This game gives you a large number of characters, some of which are broken, most of which are good, none of which are completely unuseable. If you were to make a tier list of every character in the entire franchise with tiers ranging from S rank to E, I wouldn't put a single character in this game below C. This game might be tricky but it's possible to make nearly anything work if you really want. That's why I like it so much!
I'll admit, I'm fascinated to see your Nyx writeup if you think no one's that bad in this game.

Following with interest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Quackles posted:

🎶 Youuuu'we the OwOcean's gway waves... 🎶 :3:
get out

theshim
May 1, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Normally I intensely disdain the kind, soft-hearted teenage healer girl kind of character, but Elise's choice of retainers raises my esteem for her immensely.
Elise managed to survive Fates's writing to be a genuinely great character. She's also an absolutely terrifying combatant with a bit of investment, though she's never going to be able to take a hit, and her personal skill is crazy good.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Elise doesn't even care about the bow weakness because they'd be oneshotting her anyway :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Silas is generically good in an almost offensively bland way. Sol Master Ninja aside he's just reliable without being super exciting most of the time, though the pairup with Corrin trick gives him +5/-5 on damage before bonuses are taken into account, so he's just a very good frontliner. His biggest weakness starting out is one that Fates really leans on - only 22 hp and coinflip odds means he really relies on those extra passives to help him tank damage for a while. And while Sol Master Ninja is cool and all, it takes a good long while before you can get that running and it costs a few seals.

Arthur...oh dear. For such a unique design and personal skill, he always seems to end up just below mediocre in everything. Can't reliably OHKO, can't reliably double, can't reliably tank, and is always in constant crit danger. If he had something like +2 to all his bases it would go a long way towards making him a more stable unit, but with his start as low as it is, you need a lot of luck for him to shine. I end up benching him in almost every single run, and even in my Bad Units Run of Conquest he was one of the weaker units.

Effie has incredibly stupid growths and is hobbled only by her awful class selection. Three of her four default options are magic classes for a unit with literally 0 magic growth, for some inexplicable reason. Marry her off well and she can turn into a terrifying monster, though she is deceptively fragile when you class her out of the Knight branch. Her bases are honestly not very good and are largely held together by the Knight's bases on top of them, but her growths tend to be so good that she's easily able to round the corner into excellence that Arthur so often crashes facefirst into (on brand, I suppose).

One of the issues with some of the considerations for characters is that many of them require reclassing, often as soon as possible, and seals are very much at a premium for Conquest's earlygame. You can get one or two units moved around okay, but past that it becomes impractical until a good ways into the game. If you're using DLC/Castle rewards/visiting other castles this all goes out the window, of course.

theshim fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 4, 2021

theshim
May 1, 2012

Thanks to your offhand comment I now know that you're naming your images. This is a terrible curse because now I have to know what each one is called.

Odin can be a good enough mage, not least because he has no real competition for the Spirit Dusts you pick up and those can go a long way towards keeping his magic high enough to be good.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Niles tends to have serious issues with durability and killing power in my runs, and his niche as a mage killer is undercut by weapon triangle disadvantage meaning he takes a lot of hits back. He also only really has Arthur's A+ to expand his class selection, as he's badly wasted as a dark mage. Overall he's not one of my favorites, and Nina...well, let's just say she depends wildly on her mother to determine how good she is.

Mozu is cool though. Does need babying, and compared to Donnel she suffers doubly thanks to not being able to reclass and gain 5-8 points in every stat and her growths with Aptitude merely being great instead of ludicrous, but she's generally a worthy investment for me. Doubt I would go for it on Lunatic, though, she'll have a lot of trouble getting up to a point where she isn't constantly exploding. Archer access in Conquest is real good and she can pass it along to quite a few people who would also greatly appreciate it, and she makes one of the best moms thanks to being able to pass down Aptitude. My first run of each route I made her Queen, because it amused me to do so, and because she deserves it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Oh hey, it's Azura. She's genuinely the squishiest Dancer in the series, but has bizarrely monstrous offensive growths if you feel like living dangerously. Kinda doesn't matter because she's just going to do Dancer things.

And then there's Nyx, who can charitably be described as "Elise but worse in every way".

Still, you can also get Haitaka here and Rally Defense is fantastic, so this map's got what to say for itself recruitment-wise.

theshim
May 1, 2012

It says something about Nyx that even in the Bad Units Run I was doing of Conquest on Hard, I was legitimately unable to find a use for Nyx past Chapter 10. She's simply too squishy to ever see combat in any amount, and even her killing power is unimpressive. She was relegated to permanent backpack duty immediately after finishing off one or two enemies in the next level, while every other unit (yes, even Charlotte and Felicia) still saw plenty of combat.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Not much to add other than the fact that every time I've used Selena she's turned out to be extremely solid, for some reason.

theshim
May 1, 2012

midnight lasagna posted:

No idea what that drawing is a reference to but I love it. Do you have a source?
It's a reference to the absolutely excellent manga Yotsuba&!, which I'd highly recommend checking out. The original reference is here.

I actually went and dug up the source, it's from here.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Laslow is a bit of an oddity, with bases and growths I'd more traditionally associate with a fighter than a mercenary. I've used him multiple times and he's always been solid for me, if generally unexciting. He's got decent enough bulk but is mostly focused on that strength and skill, and speed being a bit shaky can easily spiral out of control for him if he misses too many in a row. For fun, compare his growths to Selena - the extra HP and Str are really where he stands out, but he's still got lower Def and Res growths and gets clobbered on Spd. It kinda plays with the red and green knight archetypes in a way that's slightly less traditional. Still, both of the two mercenaries have good enough growths in pretty much everything that while they're rarely going to blow you away, they tend to be consistently good. And worse comes to worst he can always just be a good rallybot!

Peri is bad and no one likes her. She's also way too glassy to see much combat later on, and even her passive doesn't really help with that. Her bases are also pretty dire. She's got access to plenty of good classes through Friendship and Partner seals, at least...?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Huh, I always do that map by flooding the second layer for proper chokepoints. Does make the fliers a little more obnoxious to deal with, I guess.

theshim
May 1, 2012

alright less incest more

theshim
May 1, 2012

Holy moly your Peri is nuts.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Leo feels like he should be a lot better than he is. He's got fine bases and great growths and yet every time he turns out to be merely serviceable, nothing more.

Keaton works well as a bulky heavy hitter. He also gives access to Velouria, who is one of the best kids - give her a mother like Camilla and she's an unholy terror on the battlefield.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I really like chapter 15. It's such a weird shift from everything else in the game and also features some of the best music.

midnight lasagna posted:

My Rating: Best voice acting in the game?
I mean, it is DC Douglas. Just photoshop Wesker's shades onto Gunter in every battle and you have perfection.

I really ought to get back to the Bad Units run I was doing (stalled out in the loving wind chapter), but both Gunter and Felicia were putting in decent work on Hard. Gunter remains one of the better physical walls for a while and is always a great pairup for Corrin, and Felicia with the Flame Shuriken does a pretty solid job of cleaning up chaff (slightly ironic). I'm very much expecting both of them to cause significant issues as I get to the endgame, though...

theshim
May 1, 2012

Faillen Angel posted:

The ability to kill Shura for boots and the Ryoma fight are the two most defining moments of Conquest for me, and consequently, are the reasons I cannot bring myself to hate it. It's so loving funny. A story that brings entertainment, even if unintentional, can't by definition be the worst, as opposed to a story like Revelation which is just loving boring.
I will wait patiently for 25 turns to respond to this post. After that, I will begin my assault.

theshim
May 1, 2012

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Hi I just want to say I was compelled to play Fates again after reading this LP and my Mozu just got 1 shotted by a general with a spear and a 3% hit chance. I think I've made a mistake playing this game.
ahhh, the Genuine Fire Emblem Experience™

theshim
May 1, 2012

Fun fact I discovered about this chapter on my most recent playthrough: if you play it a bit later, and, say, have Niles pass down Rally Skill to Nina, she will instead run over to the left, Rally Skill the enemies there on turn 1, and then immediately attempt to flee the map without ever going for the treasure, putting you on a very tight time limit.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ninja Caltrop Hell is a miserable chapter at the best of times.

My last couple runs I haven't been using Xander. This map is so, so much worse without him :shepface:

theshim
May 1, 2012

also I forgot to mention this before but I want you to know I greatly appreciated the Cask of Amontillado reference

theshim
May 1, 2012

midnight lasagna posted:

Next time: Super Smash Bros Melee
:dadjoke:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Kitsune hell is an annoying map.

That said I would rather play a hundred kitsune hell maps than one of the next one. gently caress the wind map.

theshim
May 1, 2012

It's kind of funny to me that your Camilla is actually behind on most of her averages. She's a couple points ahead on Speed but she'll reliably cap that anyway, and missing a chunk of HP and Strength is a little bit of a pain.

She's still great, though, because she's Camilla.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I've never once done this map the "intended" way. gently caress this map. Your LP makes it look easy.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I'm not surprised you're feeling a bit burned out, lategame Conquest Lunatic is harrowing to play and your update schedule has been insane. Been a great LP, though! Gonna be sad to see it end.

Also I have never once gone left on Treason and I never will. That room is butts.

theshim
May 1, 2012

On Hard you can legit fight your way through this map and I usually do. Lunatic turns it into absolute hell.

I still don't understand why they didn't let you save before the endgame maps in Fates. It really sours the finish of the game if you don't get it right on your first try.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Well done! This LP was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Elise, no!