Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

This should be good. Even in gameplay fates is pretty out there for fire emblem. Conquest gets very complicated very quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Hans is a terrible character in every way.

This is also reminding me of my hatred for debuff stacking ninjas.

His character is much improved when you internally add John McClane yelling his name every time he appears.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Hey, there's no agonizing over goddess icons. They get immediately pinned to Arthur's chin. No questions asked.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

midnight lasagna posted:

That is understandable. I don't have any plans to use Arthur this playthrough though...

Well in such a sad world goddess icons suffer their other clear use: getting pawned off to buy something that's actually useful.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

:getin:

We'll see how this works on lunatic. When I did it on hard for an all wyvern gimmick run it was surprisingly effective and she turns into a goddamn monster even before promotion when that bolt axe shows up. Ironically the biggest downside to turning your staff bot into an axe murderer is that for a long while we're stuck with Jacob and consumables for healing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Faillen Angel posted:

honestly i think the best "pure" mage in gen 1 is hayato and that's real sad considering his whopping level 1 start in br

i'm sure orochi is fine but i've never liked how slow she is, and the cq mages are cq mages

For all of Odin's faults he can pair up with his daughter and vantage + nosferatu solo maps on hard, nerfs be damned. Never tried it on lunatic, so I dunno if it holds up there, but I'd say that puts him above hayato.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

golden bubble posted:

What list? It's literally three characters from Awakening, and we've already seen one of them.

There's six if you assume they're including the doppelgangers as well.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Walla posted:

Niles is the only natural Outlaw in the 1st gen, and his daughter is the only one of the second gen.

:Boots:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Walla posted:

I honestly forgot him. Though probably because he's a Corrin only support and I tend not to think of them at all.

To be fair they only give +1 move in this one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

But Charlotte is good?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It's blatant fan service and only half of them even got an attempt at an explanation via post launch dlc

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I found bow knight perry to be really solid. Pop a dude and then use the stat boost over and over again for dual attacks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cythereal posted:

tl;dr (and please don't jump down my throats for this) there was an interview after the game's release where IntSys described Crimson Flower as the 'supreme ruler tyrant' route and that Silver Snow is the 'true empire' route, and that Edelgard was designed to be Byleth's dark mirror and arch-enemy.

I think it also helped a lot that in 3H there were so many ways to get range beyond 2 tiles. I usually drop Close Counter from my archers late in the game because it just plain stops coming up.

I think that Armor Knights and Generals depend on map design more than anything else. Mobility tends to be king in most games, and that's what usually kills those classes.

I will never understand the thoughts of the doofus who decided that the tank unit should be near incapable of being the first unit to reach the fight. I understand even less how nobody changed this over the course of more than a dozen entries in the series.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

At least it was an actual conversation instead of a stupid joke, even if a cliche one. I mean, this is Fire Emblem, most of the conversations are cliche, that's no reason to cut them!

Uh, no, I would actually take a bad joke 1000% of the time over "hey player, it's not technically pedophilia *wink wink nudge nudge*"

Shoot, I would take an empty text field over that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Walla posted:

Even then I think a +Magic Corrin or Orochi is better.

There's also the whole thing about who Corrin actually is and who he's related to but you have to read a synopsis of Revelation to understand all of that.

Their mother divorced the king of evil dragon land and married a tyrant divorced him and married a glorious nippon samurai. Along the way she ditched one of her kids and then had her kidnapped back when the tyrant kidnapped the other kid.

See it's simple and totally makes sense!

*I'm totally pulling this from what I remember from playing revelations once, years ago. It's probably not accurate and likely makes more sense than what intsys published*

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Ah, I mostly just remembered that after 5 million supports of "no really, here's why it's technically not incest" they just randomly dropped that corrin and azura shared blood and let them boink without any of that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Jacob really should have named him disappointment. At least that way the player would get some warning

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Benny is a good dude. One of the few characters I don't have any disdain for.

Charlotte is cool too. Feel like everyone just glues her to Xanders rear end.

I give her 100% crit and let her go on rampages with her bff arthur, just as it should be.

I'm beginning to suspect that our host does not, in fact, think that berserkers are the bestest class ever and everyone should be berserkers.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Just like a noble to steal credit from the commoners doing the work

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. Are you saying that ALL level ups FOREVER are determined when they first join you, or that at the start of each chapter all their potential level ups are calculated? Because if a unit's entire future viability is determined before you even get a chance to use them, then, well. That sucks rear end. Also, if that is the case, how does it work when you change class?

Yup, it saves a string of the rolls, so changing class would still change their growths the roll is compared against. In theory you could class change around to get a stat point you would otherwise miss, but that's a cool 4k in cash per level up you do that for. It's not exactly sustainable.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, it changes that godawful feeling of getting a reset after a string of really good levels. It means your mistake just cost you time and not a super good unit.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Wasn't there a game that did like a fixed level up mode? One of the Tellius games I think?

They... weren't so fixed and would alter based in incredibly weird, obtuse and completely opaque mechanics including what weapons you had used.

E:
oh and I forgot it was new game+ for whatever reason.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 21, 2021

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Faillen Angel posted:

I think the only reason you can't support Gunter in Revelation is because you're basically guaranteed to have an S-Rank open with him before you get other party members and Gunter Kana, as mentioned, sucks.

Gunter should totally have like all 70 growths but an unremovable skill that halves them.

I think he gets one after he stops being traitor mcbaddy though. It kiiiind of spoiled that arc a bit that he didn't have one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Or dead. The locals ain't exactly friendly.

Which brings up a fun point from that last map: Corn flakes goes through a portal to a mysterious land and murders a bunch of "invaders." Guess they have a bit more slime daddy in them than they want to admit.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Don't worry, I have a solution to your status booster dilemma.

Give them to Azura.

All of them

I guess Camilla can get the magic boosters or something since azura can't use them. Or give them to azura anyway because I'd be funny, I'm not a cop.

E: also, for all the crap fates deservedly gets about it's writing, Shura vs The Boots is hands down one of the best uses of a good/evil choice I have ever seen in games.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Unpopular opinion: I really like how crits work in fe and enjoy the way they force risk mitigation the same way miss chance does. If there is a chance for a crit, your plan needs to include a response to a crit. Yes, sometimes a unit will get an unlucky series of crits against enemies and get overwhelmed instead of leaving an enemy alive and blocking further attacks, but overall it adds much more to the game than the downsides detract from it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

You can actually send an army of 20/20s at end game if you abuse the scaling child chapters. Just wait until towards the end of the game and marathon a bunch of them and you'll get a ton of end game exp level kills.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Bogart posted:

the what

Welcome to every Niles support

midnight lasagna posted:

About time these two hit their S support. It's surprisingly difficult to build supports with Azura, despite all the dancing she does...

Fun facts for why:
1) dancing gives 2/6 of a point to dual attacks 1/2
2) the number of points you get is capped at 3 for the highest scoring partner a unit has, 2 for second place, 1 for 3rd and none for the rest

So basically Azura levels up supports slower to begin with and can often have her support growth shoved aside entirely by combat units. Staves have a similar issue.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cythereal posted:

It's why I paired her with Laslowe in my game, putting two characters I loathe together.

Same reasoning that gets Vaike fathering Noire in most of my Awakening games.

Woah there, you can't bench teach. He has tenure.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well 2nd gen marriages in Awakening have no mechanical benefits other than the S Rank support bonuses since Partner Seals don't exist, they're really just there for your support ending.

This is really underselling those bonuses.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Eh, part of the big selling point was pick who your friends are and who you have to kill because you didn't pick them. They seemed to like the idea a lot considering they turned around and did it again in three houses

So having to kill the other sides party is fine, what makes this so dumb is that 1) the map itself is bad somehow being ball bustingly hard to play normally and yet boring as sin. 2) the story does a big "WHYYY?!?!?!!" moment about the whole thing despite them pissing away the conceit literally almost everywhere else so the fact that you killed them is undermined. The same way it was when they did the same thing with scarlet.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Peri's sad face appearing to cry a tear of blood will never not make me giggle.

On a completely unrelated note, is she holding any high stakes texas hold em baccarat games soon?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

If you do another child paralogue you deny yourself the opportunity to have magical muscle woman Elise smash takumi's pineapple face in with an axe.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Walla posted:

Counterpoint, you would deny yourself Percy.

Edit: Wait, I meant Dwyer.

No loss there

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I don't think anyone will be allowed to out scummy Garon.

Geddit? Because he's a slime monster!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

ajkalan posted:

By "it does not work on anybody else" midnight lasagna meant that the skill does not work on any enemies other than those in My Castle battles; it can still be passed down as normal. The skill's description mentions "Foreign Army" units, which sounds like it might mean whichever of Hoshido or Nohr you didn't choose, and would be infinitely more useful than what it actually does.

The wording actually made me think of Valla, but a buff exclusively in the funsies online battles that don't kill anyone is even dumber than that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Give everything to Camilla. This is her quest and she needs to get even more stacked.

:hmmyes:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It is truly fitting to fates that the head of the neutral nation joins you on every route but the neutral route.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Foolycharged will wait patiently for the next update, but only for the next 20 posts. After that he will begin to shitpost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

My experience was trying to get the rest of the goodies before ryoma suicided on cornflakes.