Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I'm of the opinion that Fates is largely Good, Actually, but Revelation (singular) is a waste of 20 dollars. The story is so :allears:, I can't help but love it, and the OST is legendary.

Maybe it's because I'm a Heroes player and one of like three people who bought Warriors, where these characters are put to much better use. Did you know Ryoma could cook? Or that Elise sasses Takumi for his constant use of "nohrian scum"? They're so fun to be around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
elise's comically bad skill will never not be funny to me, losing skill on promotion feels like something a romhack would do out of spite but it's real

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Odin tends to work out for me, but maybe it's because his primary competition is.

Well,

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
honestly i think the best "pure" mage in gen 1 is hayato and that's real sad considering his whopping level 1 start in br

i'm sure orochi is fine but i've never liked how slow she is, and the cq mages are cq mages

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Rhajat is a neat character because of how she compares to herself pre-Localization, as well as Tharja pre-and-post flanderization, but I can agree that her being Hayato's kid is a waste.

Meanwhile, as someone who really hated Severa in Awakening, Selena is refreshingly...tame. She's less aggro and more on the defensive in her supports, and that makes her more entertaining. Shame about her stats, though.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Blaze Dragon posted:

You're incorrect in how Casual Mode works. If your Lord gets taken down, you still lose (or a Mila's Turnwheel/Divine Pulse is forcefully triggered if you have any). I'm not sure why Seize was changed, I imagine it's just to make it less annoying, since ferrying the Lord to a specific spot was a pain and genuinely added little to nothing beyond tedium to gameplay.

No...? This is 100% not true in Fates or 3H. It's true in Awakening and Echoes though, which is doubly annoying when you have two lords to drag around.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
There are maps where Byleth and your house leader dying is a loss condition, but this is not consistently the case in things such as paralogues.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
i did kinshi knight azura just to get her amaterasu and she capped all of her offensive stats by the time she got it LOL

She's such a menace and possibly worth feeding your Seraph Robes to

Unfortunately unlike Olivia who can be fed Spirit Dust and given Swordfaire to make the Levin Sword a usable ranged option, Azura can never get Lancefaire without specifically marrying Corrin exactly.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I've almost never had Selena work out for me. One time she got absolutely blessed with like 4 str in a row on a Revelation run, and that game also gives her to you before units Are Bad, but other than that she consistently fails to hurt things.

Beruka, on the other hand, is an absolutely :allears: unit.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
As batshit awful as the reason for the kids existing is, I appreciate that they try to integrate it more into some of their core personalities, as opposed to Awakening's kids being 50/50 on whether the horrible future affects them in a particular support. Ryoma's kid is especially funny, because he isn't even told that he's next in line for the Hoshidan throne, which says more about Ryoma than any of his supports do.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
The only real interest I've ever had in Kana is stacking their personal, Renewal, and...idk, Relief or some other poo poo alongside the Dragonstone+ to make a BIG BOY.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
If it weren't DLC-locked, Dark Falcon Peri is sort of fun. Bloodthirst boosts her magic to make up for her Clarine-level growth, and if you can get Galeforce, it lets her use the boost on the Player Phase.

I've had recent success with Mozu Ophelia, but admittedly all of Mozu's kids will be good.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
We know the story and supports were written by different teams, so it would not surprise me if the DLC was done by yet a third team.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
the original script for this game is so intensely bland and dry, such that even if the localization isn't accurate, it's more entertaining.

kana... i guess exists so you can use dragonstones even if you reclass corrin. idk.

i kinda wish if you married your route's furry you could have a dragon-and-beaststone using hybrid class.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I disagree. That support rules. Also the conversation it replaces is just a boring cliche'd conversation about assassins and their feelings.

The worst line is when Leo tells Elise to "act like the adult you technically are".

the support rules until the b-support picks up as if the c-support were normal

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
As opposed to Effie, who can become a bulldozer of rage and destruction that can end up wasting Wary Fighter, Benny is very normal. It's kind of appreciated, but it leaves him a bit wanting for versatility. One time I married him to Azura and put him in Pegasus Knight.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
The fact that the Grim Yato is still a Katana is one of the most Fates things that Fates does.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Walla posted:

In another great decision by IS, you can only have these classes in 1 save file on your whole system. You have to delete that save if you want the classes in a different file.

This is 101% not true, I have no idea what you're talking about. Getting the Lodestar and Great Lord seals is always the first thing I do.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
The funniest part about not being able to tell the siblings about Slime Man is that the game later proves you 100% correct, because even when Slime Man is in front of your face, your siblings hesitate to fight back.

Anyways Fates is rad as long as you accept that it's also stupid and ignore Revelation.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I think the only reason you can't support Gunter in Revelation is because you're basically guaranteed to have an S-Rank open with him before you get other party members and Gunter Kana, as mentioned, sucks.

Gunter should totally have like all 70 growths but an unremovable skill that halves them.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
The ability to kill Shura for boots and the Ryoma fight are the two most defining moments of Conquest for me, and consequently, are the reasons I cannot bring myself to hate it. It's so loving funny. A story that brings entertainment, even if unintentional, can't by definition be the worst, as opposed to a story like Revelation which is just loving boring.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Fuga's Wild Ride is in every route for some reason. I don't know why they loved it so much. It's much worse in Rev where you have only 1 flier and most of your units are going to be underlevelled with mostly lovely stats

also while it's true in most FE games, fates has the absolute WORST case of E-Rank Hell. Bronze weapons are almost worse than just not having a weapon, they're SO bad.

so guess where all your units in Revelation start.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
well, there's always Heroes and how it implements specials, with killer weapons speeding up your special charge and wo daos making them do more (true) damage on trigger.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Even as early as the rainbow sage chapter you can get generic archers with Counter, not to mention Haitaka's 60/60/60 offensive growths and Rally Defense.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Fun thing, this is one of the few chapters in Fire Emblem as a whole with unique victory quotes. Both Saizo and Shura have stuff to say to this guy if they get the kill.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Counterpoint: Izana is The Best :colbert:

I've never found the b-rank 2rng weapons useful. Peri's Lance has similar conditions but it has 15 base crit and 1-2 rng despite its low mt, so I've found more use for that.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Peri is the definition of the phrase "no half-measures." She's too much of an Actual Murderer to be a fun character like Henry, but she's too goofy and childish to be a character like Karel. She'd be much funnier if her attempts at murder were comically ineffectual (i;e, trying to stab someone with, idk, a carrot), which would play into the "nobody takes her seriously" angle.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
The funniest parts of the route split to me are still the one map on Birthright where you fight Benny and Charlotte out of nowhere and I'm pretty sure they don't even have death quotes, and also the fact that Nyx doesn't show up in Birthright at all despite being in the premonition.

I feel like the game underutilized the Capture mechanic. I think being able to capture certain route-exclusives could be fun; obviously you wouldn't be able to grab the royals or plot-important characters, but there are enough characters who could qualify as free agents.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Lilith doesn't speak at ALL in Revelation. It's almost comical.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
There's a fun gimmick build you can do with Lethality but it requires a lot of cross-class movement; Quixotic from Basara and Hoshidan Unity from Hoshido Noble give you a minimum flat 25% activation rate on skills, and Lethality is, as you'd imagine, the best skill to use for that. That said, doing so also gives your opponent +15% skill activation rate and +30 hit to your opponent.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Statues also increase the stat caps of everyone at level 3, and there are thirteen scratch that, twelve (Yukimura isn't in Revelation) Skill boosting statues plus Corrin's statue giving Skill if it's their boon.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
The Faire skills were actually nerfed from Awakening; using a Magic weapon boosted your Magic instead of Strength, meaning classes like Tricksters could use a Levin Sword to get a boosted heal. One of my favorite endgames for Cordelia was Shockstick Lancefaire Bride

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Anna on the Run is Paralogue 4 from Awakening yeah. Anna herself is actually hilariously broken because you can recruit her immediately and then give her the free Witch's Mark for a 20 Mag level 10 unit.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Bogart posted:

You’ll remember that in iirc chapter 9, Ryouma denies a child life saving medicine. and will later entrap Corrin in a big cube for honorable one on one combat that requires the death of his loyal retainers to break.

Ryoma also offers to dump the entirety of Hoshido's coffers in Shura's lap for information, immediately after learning he had no idea that Nohr was suffering from Silas, but offers no solution to him.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Walla posted:

That's not how skill inheritance works. If a parent learns a skill during a child's paralogue then the child learns that skill instead of the one intended.

That depends on the child. Dwyer can join during the paralogue, so NPC Dwyer and Player Dwyer are the same entity. A unit like Nina or Percy who needs to be defeated will be re-generated after they join.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Replicate is a skill that I just cannot believe exists. They really made a skill that lets you theoretically carry 32 units into battle.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
You can buy skills from other people's My Castle, I dunno what the holdup with the copies you make when you beat the game was.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
God, Ryoma...

The game pulls out this legitimately excellent cutscene of Ryoma threatening to rip whatever remaining Hoshidan blood remains out of you, balks that the Yato must be repelling your touch from your actions, all this genuinely metal as hell setup... for that. Waiting for 20 turns. Pops the tension like a loving balloon.

It's not even that hard of a fix! Just make it "Ryoma is rallying his troops" or something! Anything beyond "will wait patiently".

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
:eng101: Iago's Staff access is a flag that can be applied to any unit, similar to "is Ryoma", "Is Xander", or "Is Ophelia". It appends Staves to their class's current weapons, including for 3-weapon classes.

The immediate line before this chapter, "You want to see me become a heartless killer? Watch this," is one of the best one-liners in Fire Emblem, and I will not back down on this. It's on par with "I'll die for General Zelgius!" "Yes, you will," and "I'll rip that traitorous tongue from your mouth!" "Then you'll finally have the truth in your grasp."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
BR has the Throwing Club and the Kodachi, at least. The real tragedy is that the route with bow users doesn't get a 1-2 range yumi aside from maybe the Sidelong Yumi, and that's only from castle rewards.