Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lumbermouth posted:

CHALLENGE

Definitely in for 31, gonna hit all the Challenges, trying to get in 31 new-to-me films.

I'm going to do open house screenings on my back deck on the weekends so those are probably going to be crowd pleasers that I've already seen and want to show other people. Here it is screening Samurai Cop.

Wow that's a kickass setup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Not gonna spoil what, exactly, but we'll be doing something new for the Fran challenges. It's gonna open it up in weird ways, and hopefully provide a new type of challenge, but it could also be a poo poo-show. Pretty excited to see how it goes.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

God drat I can't believe it's been a year since the last challenge. My movie watching has been reduced a lot the last couple months, but I'll do my best to keep up with this thread and participate as much as I can.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

twernt posted:

Nice! This will be my first October Challenge and I’m going to attempt 31 movies that are new to me, from 31 different countries. It will be a Spooky Travelogue.

Neat twist on the formula! Hope you have some fun with it, and I'll recommend The Cremator for your Czech entry!

Franchescanado posted:

What are your Top 5 Favorite (or Recommended) Horror Films that have come out in the last 5(ish) years? Please only list movies that would qualify for the challenge.

I don't stay current with things at all and these threads are how I catch up with all of the good stuff that I missed. One Cut of the Dead and Us are stand outs to me, though.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Think I'm going to also incorporate all the new horror shows everyone has been talking about into the movie viewing. Starting with Midnight Mass.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Finally! Finally it's back!

I'm in again for 31 this year. No real plan or theming; just whatever meets the Fran Challenge requirements and/or catches my fancy on any given night.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

Think I'm going to also incorporate all the new horror shows everyone has been talking about into the movie viewing. Starting with Midnight Mass.

Y’all can watch and review at your discretion, but when I tally totals I don’t count shows or miniseries and they won’t be a Fran Challenge or anything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I like to have a horror t.v. series going in October for when I get home from work and there's a few hours before the sun goes down and I need something to fill that time before I put an actual movie on.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yep, I'm in.

And... guess I'm setting my goal at 31 again. This WILL include rewatches, there are some movies I wanna see every spooky season, can't be helped. I'll try to have new thoughts on them at least.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

I had a lot of fun last year, so count me in!

And what the hell, I'll shoot for 31 this year.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

Y’all can watch and review at your discretion, but when I tally totals I don’t count shows or miniseries and they won’t be a Fran Challenge or anything.

oh im thinking more as a good buffer in between movies, I know they dont count in the total.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

oh im thinking more as a good buffer in between movies, I know they dont count in the total.

I figured as much, but it's still safe for me to clarify. I'm sure there's occasionally people that skip the OP's rules to get straight into movie-watching, so I try to be vigilant early in the challenge.

Basebf555 posted:

I like to have a horror t.v. series going in October for when I get home from work and there's a few hours before the sun goes down and I need something to fill that time before I put an actual movie on.

I do the same, but it's almost always nostalgic stuff. Are You Afraid of the Dark, Aaah Real Monsters, Twilight Zone, Beyond Belief, The Outer Limits, Tales from the Darkside, and especially Treehouse of Horror episodes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love Garfield's Halloween Adventure.

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

I'll be in again this year. Last year I ended up with 49 movies, completing the Hooptober Challenge and all the Fran Challenges. I'll be trying that again, but at a minimum I'll do 31, all new to me unless a challenge demands otherwise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spatulater bro! posted:

God drat I can't believe it's been a year since the last challenge.

That's because it's only been four months since the May Challenge.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

MacheteZombie posted:

Wow that's a kickass setup

Thank you! It's basically what I spent the money I would normally spend on like vacations and concerts and going out to dinner, since I wanted to have a fun open-air space to hang out with like 4-6 people while Delta continues to rage.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.

Random Stranger posted:

Neat twist on the formula! Hope you have some fun with it, and I'll recommend The Cremator for your Czech entry!

The Cremator is fantastic! I watched it back in May for the mid-year challenge.

I have a list I'll be working from, which overlaps with a lot of what I have on my to-do list for Hooptober.

https://boxd.it/df7JA

Everything is based on the countries according to Letterboxd, so I'm hoping their data is accurate.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

That's because it's only been four months since the May Challenge.

And like three weeks since the Bracketology Tournament ended.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

I do the same, but it's almost always nostalgic stuff. Are You Afraid of the Dark, Aaah Real Monsters, Twilight Zone, Beyond Belief, The Outer Limits, Tales from the Darkside, and especially Treehouse of Horror episodes.

oooh, i should make a PLEX playlist just full of halloween tv show stuff. good call.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I will aim for 31 new to me, including challenges.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Last few years my goal had been to hit thirty-nine: the thirteen challenges, thirteen new movies other than the challenges, and thirteen rewatches. Sounds like the challenges are going to be different this year, so if that results in my watching less than thirteen challenge movies, I'll crowdsource picking movies to round it out to this thread or something like that. If it results in more then I'll just take the total higher.

I think my only specific called shots this year are to finally watch Beyond the Black Rainbow and, in anticipation of Halloween Kills, re-watching Halloween (2018) as well as dipping for the first time into Rob Zombie's entries in the series.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I hope to watch thirty-one (31) spooky films this month. Picked up the Universal Monsters Blu-ray set a while back so prob gonna do most or all of those.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Franchescanado posted:

I'm curious, so play along if you like:

I feel like with the glut of streaming services releasing original films, and the confusing nature of theaters and VOD over the last two years, a lot of good stuff has just passed my radar.

What are your Top 5 Favorite (or Recommended) Horror Films that have come out in the last 5(ish) years? Please only list movies that would qualify for the challenge.

Censor
Color Out of Space
Synchronic
Host
The Fear Street trilogy

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

I think my only specific called shots this year are to finally watch Beyond the Black Rainbow and, in anticipation of Halloween Kills, re-watching Halloween (2018) as well as dipping for the first time into Rob Zombie's entries in the series.

I just made a Peacock account so I can watch Halloween Kills on the 15th.

One thing about Zombie's that I'd emphasize is that you definitely need to watch both. Even if you don't love the first one, watch his Halloween 2 because it's maybe the second best entry in the entire franchise after the original.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
Whoops. Removed a premature review.

twernt fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 30, 2021

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Franchescanado posted:

I feel like with the glut of streaming services releasing original films, and the confusing nature of theaters and VOD over the last two years, a lot of good stuff has just passed my radar.

I just checked my Criticker for the last couple of years, since 5 years includes a bunch of very obvious stuff like Get Out. Top 5:

Possessor
I'm Thinking of Ending Things
The Lighthouse
Midsommar
Saint Maud

Yes I am a walking advert for A24 apparently

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I just made a Peacock account so I can watch Halloween Kills on the 15th.

One thing about Zombie's that I'd emphasize is that you definitely need to watch both. Even if you don't love the first one, watch his Halloween 2 because it's maybe the second best entry in the entire franchise after the original.

Yeah, the second one is the one I typically hear praised, so I'll keep that in mind if the first one doesn't land.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, the second one is the one I typically hear praised, so I'll keep that in mind if the first one doesn't land.

Speaking of this, is the Unrated version of Zombie's H2 streaming anywhere? All I can find is the 105 minute version and I've been waiting to check it out until I can track down what everyone says is the better version.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Once again I'll be doing 100% new-to-me watches. The horror genre is so abundant there are still some titles I have somehow not seen. Indeed, if I may make such a ghastly confession - Poltergeist, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and the original Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein are among these!

For every obscure Atomic Age B-movie I have watched, there seems to be a horror classic I have not.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I'm gonna be aiming to go through all the physical media horror I've accumulated but not watched yet. This is gonna lead to some rough places, because I usually get my Blu-rays at Dollar Tree. There's some stuff on streaming that my partner has earmarked for this month, though, so there'll be some detours into reliable quality as well. Should clear 31, going by performance in previous years, but with job and sleep schedules being what they are this year, I don't think I'll come close to my previous records.

Franchescanado posted:

Trimming out the stuff I know everyone in the horror thread has heard of...

They're Watching
Soft Matter
The Wolf House
The Noonday Witch
Trash Fire

Shout out to the short films Stucco, Lili, La Noria, Curve, and This House Has People in It, plus Celt's Sam's Gift.

Hot Dog Day #89 posted:

I think I ask about this every other year or so, but could someone link all the previous threads and hopefully put then in the OP?

Film log (* indicates a rewatch):
#1) The Night Visitor (2015; DVD)
#2) The Demons of Ludlow (1983; Blu-ray)
#3) Evil Bong 2: King Bong (2009; DVD)
#4) A Taste of Blood (1967; Blu-ray)
#5) The Project (2020; Blu-ray)
#6) Doll Graveyard (2005; DVD)
#7) 輪廻 (Reincarnation) (2005; DVD)
#8) Critters Attack! (2019; Blu-ray)
#9) Voodoo Apocalypse (2018; Blu-ray)
#10) Surf II (1984; Blu-ray rental)
#11) Pumpkinhead (1988; Scream Stream) *
#12) The Wind (2018; DVD)
#13) Devil Story (1986; Blu-ray rental)
#14) Blood Beat (1983; Blu-ray) *
#15) โอปปาติก เกิดอมตะ (Demon Warriors) (2007; DVD)
#16) Digging up the Marrow (2014; DVD)
#17) Zombie Dearest (2009; DVD)
#18) Citadel (2012; Blu-ray)
#19) Watch Me (2006; DVD)
#20) Phantom from Space (1953; DVD)
#21) Deadfall Trail (2009; DVD)
#22) V/H/S/94 (2021; streaming on Shudder)
#23) Timecrimes (2007; DVD)
#24) High Voltage (2018; Blu-ray)
#25) The Blood Lands (2014; DVD)
#26) Dracula (1931; VHS) *
#27) The Gorgon (1964; Blu-ray) *
#28) Leprechaun 3 (1995; Blu-ray) *
#29) A Tattered Web (1971; DVD)
#30) Blackmail (1929; DVD)
#31) Righteous Villains (2020; Blu-ray)
#32) Two Thousand Maniacs! (1964; Blu-ray)
#33) Apartment 143 (2011; Blu-ray) *
#34) Monster A-Go-Go! (1965; Blu-ray)
#35) Color Me Blood Red (1965; Blu-ray) *
#36) Santo and Dracula's Treasure (1969; Blu-ray rental)
#37) Boys of the City (1940; DVD)
#38) Josie (2018; Blu-ray)
#39) 555 (1988; DVD rental)
#40) Distorted (2018; Blu-ray)
#41) The Banker (1989; digital)
#42) Cujo (1983; Blu-ray)
#43) The Merry Frolics of Satan (1906; Youtube)
#44) Frankenstein (1910; Youtube)
#45) The Eyes of the Mummy (1918; Youtube)
#46) Bloody Muscle Body Builder in Hell (2012; DVD rental)
#47) Murderablilia (2012?; DVD)
#48) The Alphabet (1969; Blu-ray)
#49) The Trilogy (1991; Youtube)
#50) Captain Voyeur (1969; digital)
#51) Don Cheadle is Captain Planet (2011; Youtube)
#52) Haunted, Horrifying Sounds from Beyond the Grave (2018; Youtube)
#53) 4444444444 (1998; Youtube)
#54) The Place Where the Last Man Died (2010; Plex)
#55) Mee-Shee: The Water Giant (2005; DVD)
#56) Little Otik (2000; DVD rental)
#57) The House of the Dead (1978; digital)
#58) Don't Go in the Woods (1981; digital)
#59) 폐가 (Deserted House) (2010; Youtube)
#60) Slayer (2006; Prime Video)
#61) Carnival of Souls (1998; Tubi)
#62) Ring of Darkness (2004; Prime Video)
#63) Cruel Jaws (1995; Blu-ray rental)
#64) Invasion of the Saucer Men (1957; Tubi)
#65) 劇場版 零 (Fatal Frame) (2014; Youtube)
#66) The Strange and Deadly Occurrence (1974; Youtube)
#67) House of Witchcraft (1989; Youtube)
#68) Chiller (1985; Youtube)
#69) The Tell-Tale Heart (2016; digital)
#70) Ticks (1993; digital)
#71) Eaten Alive! (1980; digital)
#72) Rot (1997 or 1999; digital)
#73) Candy Corn (2019; digital)
#74) Pizza (2014; Netflix)
#75) The Child (1977; Tubi)
#76) How to Make a Monster (1958; Tubi)
#77) The Innkeepers (2011; Blu-ray)
#78) The Night Visitor 2: Heather's Story (2016; DVD)
#79) Ngôi Nhà Trong Hẻm (House in the Alley) (2013; Tubi)
#80) The Wizard of Gore (2007; Tubi)
#81) Kuso (2017; Shudder)
#82) The Company of Wolves (1984; digital)
#83) Jack & Diane (2012; Blu-ray)
#84) Premonition (1972; digital)
#85) Nightmare on the 13th Floor (1990; digital)
#86) Blood Shack (1971; digital)
#87) No Place to Hide (1992; digital)
#88) 隙間女 (Spirit Behind the Door) (2014; digital)
#89) 곤지암 (Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum) (2018; Shudder)
#90) シロメ (Shirome) (2010; digital)
#91) Creepshow 2 (1987; Scream Stream)
#92) Hobgoblins (1988; Scream Stream)
#93) 幽霊屋敷の恐怖 血を吸う人形 (The Vampire Doll) (1970; digital)

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 1, 2021

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I love Garfield's Halloween Adventure.

:same:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Speaking of this, is the Unrated version of Zombie's H2 streaming anywhere? All I can find is the 105 minute version and I've been waiting to check it out until I can track down what everyone says is the better version.

If there is I wasn't able to find it when I looked. I ended up renting the Netflix DVD version a couple months back (which is the unrated cut) and ripping it to have ready for this October.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

YES! I've been horror fasting since Bracketology ended and I'm so hype.

I'll be doing Hooptober Ocho and the Bracketology HalloweeNIT. That's basically a 16 director/team I'm speed running through for maximum nerd. I won't clog up this thread with that stuff (besides reviews) but if you're interested I'll post about it in the Spook-A-Doodle Movie Club & Bracketology Tournament '21 thread. But each week I'll have a poll open to decide who advances and everyone is welcome to vote in it and dictate my watchlist regardless of whether you care about the tournament or not.

Vote

Besides all of that crazy I'll do Fran's Challenges of course, I have nearly 30 backlogged episodes of Svengoolie on my DVR I will try and get through, I have dumb scavenger hunts on Letterboxd I might try and fill out with horror, there's a bunch of random films I've been excited to see and just putting off until October, and of course some tv shows (that won't count but I'm interested anyway). I have over 150 films on my list right now and there's no way I get through all of them (although in fairness, a number of them are short films... which also wouldn't count). So I'm just gonna try and get the challenges and OD on horror like always, god willing life lets me. Knock on wood.

Should be fun!

🎃Halloween 2021: Hooptober Ocho and Spook-a-Doodle HalloweeNIT ’21🎃

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

twernt posted:

At Midnight I’ll Take Your Soul (1964)
À Meia Noite Levarei Sua Alma
Directed by José Mojica Marins
🇧🇷 Brazil
Spooky Travelogue 1 of 31

:ssh: challenge doesn't start until tomorrow

also where did you watch this? I've been meaning to check it out

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Party time!!!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

For me its like, sometimes I'm just too distracted or burnt out to pick or watch something new so tv shows are easier because you've already got an investment in them and can bail after one episode and start a movie. So I've got a few of the same shows others have (Midnight Mass, Brand New Cherry Flavor, Outsider, Bly Manor, Black Narcissus) in mind but they'll just be extra curricular if I do.

Franchescanado posted:

Unsurprisingly I couldn't get it down to 5... but these are the ones that stood out as maybe flying under the radar of big mainstream success, thread favorites, or Bracketology films.

Run
Anything For Jackson
Synchronic
Ready or Not
Bliss
Assassination Nation
Happy Death Day
Revenge

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Never done this before, but it sounds like a lot of fun. I suppose I will aim for 31 movies total, both new material and rewatches.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

gey muckle mowser posted:

:ssh: challenge doesn't start until tomorrow

also where did you watch this? I've been meaning to check it out

I was all pumped to count Spider Baby from Wednesday and whatever I'm going to watch tonight til I read that. I thought in previous years we could count the last week of September...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

I was all pumped to count Spider Baby from Wednesday and whatever I'm going to watch tonight til I read that. I thought in previous years we could count the last week of September...

I mean, nobody is really challenging you on when you watched something so just watch a movie tonight and then write it up tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

feedmyleg posted:

It's varied from the last week of September to a day or so before October. I don't think we had a set in stone start beyond the official go call in the intro thread post.