Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

14. Trancers III

Jack Deth is back. Man he's cool. Also it's fun how Helen Hunt was still representing. In general this feels a lot more like a "real movie" and less like a high numbered Full Moon video sequel than I'd figure. Pretty smooth ride. Jack Deth is so cool. Great music too.

Honorable mention:

Mathew Blackheart: Monster Smasher (2002)

This is a forgotten classic, so darn good. Hard boiled noir one liners, Max Payne meets Ash Williams. So up my alley, saw this on TV many years ago, in the middle of a rewatch, what a treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Ahh, nothing like an October challenge to make me feel like a college kid again.
First, the final card. A goof led to only 1 bingo but 31 movies/1 bingo/13 on the card is some nice symmetry.

25. Kriya (2020) (challenge: डरावनी)
"What's happening here is abnormal!"
A DJ hooks up with a woman and is taken back to her place to meet her family. First up, flashing lights warning for the start and end of the movie, for real, though it's used for a memorable effect. The strong beginning helps carry through the intrigue of the middle third to the ambitious finale, it does creepy pretty well, and the rituals and relationships involved are interesting - especially when they comment on the practices they are subverting, though I feel I lack some appreciation based on not knowing them in depth. It does drag some with some some flat characters and stilted pacing, but I'd be excited to watch another from the same director. 6.5/10

26. Ginger Snaps (2000) (challenge: Don't Torture a Duckling, also works for Full Moon)
"Now there's something you can sink your teeth into. So to speak."
I can see why this is a favorite, you can't help but root for these broody-rear end characters at the start and it's quite a tumultuous journey from glow-up to put-down. 8.5/10

27. The Furies (2019) (challenge: Femme Fatale)
"I don't know. It's a bit prosaic."
"That means good, right?"

It's an ambitious called shot to have two characters have the above exchange about a piece of art at the very beginning of the movie, but this does have merit as a mashup of the slasher and battle royale genres with a couple extra game theory-type tweaks sprinkled in, which gives it opportunities for commentary about friendship, femininity, and the relative value of working within or outside of a system. Oh and some super messed up kills and excellent gore effects if that's what you're into. Given the subject matter the title reminding me of Greek mythology I was waiting most of the movie for a moment where three women would team up to punish someone, and when it came to do it something more interesting happened instead. Wicked ending. 7.5/10

28. [Short Cuts Challenge] (aka Shudder's shorts collection)
Catcalls (8min)
A to-the-point revenge tale with fun physical acting and effects. 7/10
The Whistler (11min) "If you get scared, you can sleep in my room!"
Might need a rewatch because this one didn't stick to me. 6/10
White Girl (13min) "You tryin to get mans into trouble?"
Doesn't have enough meat on its bones, doesn't sell its message, and doesn't include any real surprises after two minutes in, but manages an extended and cruel final sequence anyway. It does make a lot of white people mad in the Shudder reviews though, so that's a plus. 5/10
Terror, Sisters (27min) "You'll never touch my sisters again, cis! I'm sending you back into your dad's balls!"
Finally, the big short that makes watching all the little ones worth it. A hilarious and surreal anthology of sorts about a group of trans women drinking cocktails. I've only seen half of one John Waters film but it seemed very reminiscent in its irreverence, and yet it is quite sincere at its climax. Still, the highlight for me is the transphobes' song and dance number. 8.5/10
Separation (6min)
Very nicely shows what it aims to tell, and very economical and poignant in what it chooses to not address. :sever:/10

29. Spring (2014)
"You're lucky I'm here, pal...'cause most men don't share their emotions like I do."
A continuation of the stark heart and wit I enjoy from Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead, and of course the expansion of the legend of lovely Carl. Greatly benefits from seeing Resolution first and I'm not just saying this because I recommend Resolution in every other post. They share themes and convey similar existential vibes, but also both heavily focus on the notion of endings, and there's a specific bit of camera work used by both to signal This is the Ending, Pay Close Attention that is used to much greater effect here. I'll write more in the horror thread when I have time :shrug: but for now I'll give it a generous 8.5/10.

30. The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) (challenge: Don't Feed the Plants)
"Well, I guess there's just no accounting for people's tastes."
I spent a good portion of this waiting for the music to happen but then I found out this wasn't that one. What I did get is a fun and absurd black comedy, unexpectedly my second Corman film this month and ever, and an incredible minor appearance of a nearly-unrecognizably-young Jack Nicholson as a masochistic dental patient. 8/10

31. One Cut of the Dead (2017) (challenge: Behind the Screams)
“Action!”
A crew making a zombie movie at an abandoned building with a mysterious past experience scary happenings, and as always not all is as it seems. Pros: it's fairly entertaining a good portion of the time, most characters have at least one good moment, long takes are always impressive. But this one kind of suffers for the gimmick and could have benefited a lot from tightening up the pacing (it's kind of longish) and the acting a bit. It seems like there could have been some kind of production issues or something but I'm not too familiar with the details on that. Still a fun and kinda goofy way to spend 40 minutes though, I'll give it a 6.5/10. Actual score 9/10

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

100. Scream [1996]

Great movie, great cast and a soundtrack that despite some song selections, the score is just amazing. I think this might be Craven's best overall when you really look back at his work. NoES is definitely defining but this one is his peak in terms of writing and directing. Just an amazing film.

4 and a half :thunkin: out of 5

101. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare [1991]

This one was just rough to get through. The MTV-ness of the script and screenplay was just too much for me and the characters were all sorta lame. I was feeling especially burnt out on Freddy at this point so like I suppose my feelings were just mimicking what it must've been like at the release of this movie where there's this just tired feeling making this movie. It's a very "I could take a nap and not miss much" movie if there ever were one. the hokey 90's CG and the loose story around Freddy being a family man at one point in his life kinda prop this thing up into a shambling skeleton, but its time to bury this dude for the last time.

2 :thunkin: out of 5

102. Crawl [2019]

What a rock solid horror, survival, animal attack feature. I just thoroughly enjoyed this one front to back and you cant get enough Barry Pepper in your life you know? It's a very tense affair and the storm really starting up just helps escalate things into maximum overdrive. what a movie.

4 :thunkin: out of 5

103. New Nightmare [1994]

Welp not the last time. This was ok, but not good in any regard. It's a weird mess that Craven would eventually solve with Scream, but right now in this one he seems very confused and a little beligerent. there's just too much baggage around Freddy that trying to do this sorta picture without an even longer gap in between pictures makes it a messy affair. It's also too long and just really flat in spots. I dont really care about the characters and its really tough in general to give too much fo a poo poo about the story. I dunno, its not good, not the worst. Some fun gore and gags, but yea, messy movie he would fix and really do something interesting with in Scream.

2 and a half :thunkin: out of 5

Special Screening on Halloween of Halloween [1978]

Just a great movie. I'm really glad I was able to close out the month seeing this movie in theaters with a crowd. It didnt seem like everyone had seen this one before so there were some good pop moments when the movie makes room for them and everyone was having a good time. It was just very nice to finally see this one on the big screen.

5 :thunkin: out of 5

I think I may spend the rest of the year 100%-ing my full list on Letterboxd, still plenty of stuff I havent seen on there before:

https://letterboxd.com/dorium/list/sa-horror-thread-october-2021-spookies/

dorium fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 1, 2021

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Time got the better of me this year, so while I kept up with movie watching I didn't keep up with reviewing and reading you all talking about them.

Still I wanted to thank Fran for a great thread, and everyone else for posting a lot of great reviews I need to catch up on!

My favorite movie I watched was Trick 'r Treat, which is rapidly becoming one of my favorite horror movies. It's just fun.

My favorite new watch was The Omen, which was wonderfully atmospheric.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gripweed posted:

Between school and work I'll probably not be able to do 31 movies, so I'm down for 13 new-to-me movies

Well don't I look foolish. Hitting the 31 movies mark was easy, all I had to do was neglect other priorities.

I watched 40 new-to-me movies, and most of them were at least good. The standouts were,

Lifeforce: Packed with great effects and creativity, this sci-fi extravaganza blew me away. I wish I hadn't gone so long without watching Lifeforce. My favorite of the challenge

Memories of Murder: Didn't enjoy this one. It's a great movie, but its a stone cold bummer. Memories of Murder is a great choice if you want to gently caress up your night. All time feel-bad movie.

Dead Heat: A great comedy horror romp. Great action, great effects, and a fun tone all the way through.

House on Haunted Hill: It's just a fun spooky time.

The Lair of the White Worm: A great erotic horror comedy. That main chick is possibly the most erotic character in cinema history

Lucifer's Women: This was a big surprise. A trashy 70s tits and satan movie, but surprisingly well put together and well acted, and with better gender politics than you'd expect from the time

Dead Ringers: This is mainly an amazing performance from Jeremy Irons as two people at the same time

Little Shop of Horrors: with the original ending. Those plant puppets, man. So good

and my final bingo game. 9 bingos! All in the final 8 moves. A fantastic display of bingo gamesmanship

And, as always, a huge thanks to Fran for putting this whole thing together and putting up with the people whining about the bingo board.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 2, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Really impressed by how many people filled the entire bingo card, or came close.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

VROOM VROOM posted:

25. Kriya (2020) (challenge: डरावनी)
"What's happening here is abnormal!"
...relationships involved are interesting - especially when they comment on the practices they are subverting, though I feel I lack some appreciation based on not knowing them in depth...

I was interested enough after I watched this one to do some extra poking around and found a short interview with the director that touches on this. I'm still curious about having more cultural knowledge going in might have changed the experience, but it sounds like there would be less of an impact than either of us suspected initially - and there's the in-retrospect-obvious question of "which culture?" India's big.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

Really impressed by how many people filled the entire bingo card, or came close.

So am I. I was worrying I'd be the only one.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Okay, final post time. I had intended to rewatch a lot of favorites this month, and was somewhat successful at that. Usually I only get in 2-3 rewatches so 12 is pretty good.

I liked the Bingo challenge format! I know some people were complaining it was introduced too late into the month, but if it had been there day 1 it would’ve seemed more like a checklist of categories instead of a game. Props to the folks who managed to complete the whole thing though.

Best first time watches were Titane and Theater of Blood. I didn’t really want anything too bad this year, Almost Human was the only one that didn’t really do anything for me.

Thanks to Fran as always!

Total: 31
2 spooky bingos!
19 first time watches
12 rewatches
Watched: Hellraiser | Hellbound: Hellraiser II | Jennifer's Body | The Lords of Salem | The Bride of Frankenstein | Motel Hell | V/H/S/94 | Scream of Fear | Evil Dead Trap | The Masque of the Red Death | The Lure | The House that Screamed | Trouble Every Day | No One Gets Out Alive | Halloween (2018) | Halloween Kills | Class of 1999 | The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) | The Wicker Man | "Short Cuts" | Titane | Interview with the Vampire | Angst | Theater of Blood | Almost Human | Eyes of Laura Mars | Beyond the Door | Tales from the Darkside: The Movie | Vampire in Brooklyn | The Witch | Scream

e: films for the completed squares that made up my two complete SPOOKYs
To Serve Man: Trouble Every Day
Tales of Terror: Tales from the Darkside
Spaced Invaders: Almost Human
Picnic at Hanging Rock: Interview with the Vampire
Origin of Evil: The Wicker Man
The Devil Made Me Do It: Beyond the Door

Don't Feed the Plants: The Little Shop of Horrors 1960
Horror Noire: Vampire in Brooklyn
Short Cuts
Punk Vacation: Class of 1999
Holiday Massacre: Halloween Kills

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 3, 2021

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
Thanks again to Franchescanado for running this show! I'm happy that I completed my personal challenge and covered the Spooky Card.

Here are the ten best (and worst) Spooky Season movies I watched. There are 80 total because I included movies I watched for Hooptober before the challenge started. None of those extra movies cracked the top or bottom ten though, which is interesting. They were all first-time watches because I am still definitely a horror neophyte.

1 November (2017)
2 The Hands of Orlac (1924)
3 I Saw the Devil (2010)
4 Kuroneko (1968)
5 The Phantom Carriage (1921)
6 Us (2019)
7 Faust (1926)
8 Sword of God (2018)
9 The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
10 Pulse (2001)

71 Stranger in Our House (1978)
72 Winchester (2018)
73 The Silent House (2010)
74 Malignant (2013)
75 The Spell (2019)
76 Satan (1974)
77 Djinn (2013)
78 Main Zaroor Aaunga (2019)
79 2012: Curse of the Xtabai (2012)
80 Birdemic 2: The Resurrection (2013)

If anyone is curious, my challenge list is https://letterboxd.com/twernt/list/october-2021-spooky-travelogue/.

Here are some pie charts. Despite my travelogue challenge, almost 30% of my movies were from the US. I think I was closer to 50% in May so it's an improvement.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I always love this challenge- it's good to get back in the habit of watching movies and good to be able to write about them, even if it's not really a discussion there's some sense that you're not just screaming into the void.

Here is a complete list of all the films I watched for this challenge, with tentative star ratings out of 5 (EDIT: And now with Bingo challenges listed):

1. Night of the Demon *****
2. Venom: Let There Be Carnage ***1/2
3. Don’t Answer the Phone **1/2
4. Psycho Goreman ****
5. The Devil’s Rain ***
6. The Raven (1935) ***1/2
7. The Beast Must Die ****
8. Edge of the Axe **
9. Angst ****1/2
10. The Brain ***1/2
11. Frankenstein Conquers the World ****
12. War of the Gargantuas ****
13. The Curse of Frankenstein ****
14. The Pit ** (Bingo: Don't Torture a Duckling)
15. House *** (Bingo: Hausu)
16. The Monster Club **1/2 (Bingo: Origin of Evil)
17. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master ***1/2
18. Halloween Kills **** (Bingo: Holiday Massacre)
19. A*P*E* *** (Bingo: Wild Beasts)
20. Satan’s Slave ***1/2 (Bingo: A Perfect Getaway)
21. Raw Meat ***1/2 (Bingo: To Serve Man)
22. The Intruder **1/2
23. Evilspeak **1/2 (Bingo: The Devil Made Me Do It)
24. Warlock **** (Bingo: Video Games Cause Violence)
25. Knife + Heart ****1/2 (Bingo: Behind the Screams)
26. Elvira, Mistress of the Dark **** (Bingo: Scream, Queen!)
27. City of the Dead ****1/2 (Bingo: Something Wicked This Way Comes)
28. Dead and Buried ****1/2 (Bingo: Dead and Buried)
29. Demon Seed *** (Bingo: Based on the Novel)
30. The Amityville Horror (2005) *1/2 (Bingo: They Always Come Back)
31. Freaky ****
32. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child **1/2
33. Meridian ** (Bingo: Full Moon)
34. Censor ***** (Bingo: Femme Fatale)
35. The Monster **1/2 (Bingo: Salomé)
36. Cast A Deadly Spell ****1/2 (Bingo: As Seen On TV0
37. Hack-o-Lantern * 1/2
38. Grotesque * (Bingo: Punk Vacation)
39. Messiah of Evil ****1/2
40. Absurd *** (Bingo: Video Nasty)
41. Hocus Pocus ***
42. Black Roses *
43. Friday the 13th Part 2 ***
44. The Sentinel ***
45. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre *****
46. The Evil Dead *****

The best new film was Censor, worst was Grotesque, biggest "How have I not seen this yet" goes to Warlock.

And again, my bingo card:

My first entry was "Don't Torture A Duckling" for The Pit, and you can kinda see how this put me in a weird board position right off- made all the more awkward because I'd basically ruled out Short Cuts because I tried to do that one year and it was just a pain keeping track of all of them. "Hausu" was next simply because House was on Shudder and I'd always meant to check that out, and from that point I was working on multiple tracks which wasn't the smartest idea. drat my vulnerability to gamification!

Punk Vacation was the hardest nut to crack in terms of thinking of a movie that really fit the theme, there's a lot of punk-adjacent horror but it was hard finding something that felt right. Origin of Evil was also tough because of how many of the major horror films of 1981 I'd already seen, and Salomé has similar issues. OTOH A Perfect Getaway was surprisingly easy because I'd seen Satan's Slave listed on Shudder and had never seen an Indonesian film before.

Overall, a good year, especially since even the movies I disliked held some kind of novelty value. Also got to touch base on all the big 80s slasher franchises this year, and that's always fun.

As always, thank you Franchescanado. As I said last year, my attention span got hit a bit weird by the pandemic, and though I'm going out a bit more now, a project like this really helped me focus as well.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 2, 2021

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
It was nice to get back to the challenge, always a good motivator. The bingo in particular got me to seek out some things I really should have watched by now but hadn't. But also for a previous challenge I had the entire list planned out and used it to watch a bunch of classics, while this time I got to be more flexible and mess around with some silly and fun schlock along with newer stuff (including 5 entire movies from this year!).

Here's my list by rating out of 10. Most of it looks pretty good to my tastes but Night of the Demons probably deserves a bump up, and drat I was really mad at Downrange :lol: Rewatches marked with *, and I hadn't realized I only had 6 of those! I left out the shorts but I'll again recommend people spend a half hour with Terror, Sisters on Shudder for a good time.

*Resolution (2012)
*Triangle (2009)
*The Guest (2014)
Black Christmas (1974)
Suspiria (1977)
*One Cut of the Dead (2017)
May (2002)
*You're Next (2011)
The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
V/H/S94 (2021)
*Attack the Block (2011)
Ginger Snaps (2000)
Spring (2014)
Malignant (2021)
Till Death (2021)
Cronos (1993)
The Little Shop of Horrors (1960)
The Poughkeepsie Tapes (2007)
Nobody (2021)
No One Gets Out Alive (2021)
Night of the Demons (1987)
The Furies (2019)
Dead and Buried (1981)
Idle Hands (1999)
Kriya (2020)
Dead 7 (2016)
Zombie Strippers (2008)
Temple (2017)
Dolly Dearest (1991)

Downrange (2017)

And I'll repost my card, 13 entries, 1 bingo

Bingo: Holiday Massacre(Black Christmas), Tales of the Grotesque(Masque of the Red Death), Asylum(Dead 7), Video Nasty(Suspiria), [REC](V/H/S94), The Devil Made Me Do It(Night of the Demons)
Others: Femme Fatale(The Furies), Dead & Buried(Dead & Buried), डरावनी(Kriya), Short Cuts (various), Don't Torture a Duckling(Ginger Snaps), Don't Feed the Plants(The Little Shop of Horrors), Behind the Screams(One Cut of the Dead)

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 2, 2021

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
The 2021 horror movie marathon leading up to Halloween was great fun. Here are the ratings of my run.

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 1984 4/5
Blood from the Mummy's Tomb, 1971 3.5/5
North by Northwest, 1959 4/5
Silent Night, Bloody Night, 1972 3.5/5
What We Do in the Shadows, 2014 4/5
The Loved Ones, 2009 4/5
The Curse of La Llorona, 2019 2/5
Reflections on the Living Dead, 1993 4/5
The Abominable Snowman, 1957 3.5/4
The Dark and the Wicked, 2020 3.5/5
The Love Witch, 2016 3.5/5
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, 2014 4/5
The Collection, 2012 4/5
The Hunger, 1983 4/5
The Witches of Eastwick, 1987 4/5
Ready or Not, 2019 4/5
Street Trash, 1987 4/5
Werckmeister harmóniák, 2000 4.5/5
The Raven, 1935 4/5
The Black Cat, 1934 5/5
Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam, 1920 4.5/5
Messiah of Evil, 1973 4/5
The Mummy, 1932 4/5
Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead, 2006 5/5
Killer Klowns from Outer Space, 1988 4/5
Night of the Creeps, 1986 4.5/5
Class of Nuke 'Em High, 1986 4/5
The Rocky Horror Picture Show, 1975 5/5
Antichrist, 2009 5/5
The Beast with Five Fingers, 1946 3.5/5
Braindead/Dead Alive, 1992 5/5
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, 1974 5/5
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, 1986 5/5
Bubba Ho-Tep, 2002 5/5
Evil Dead II, 1987 5/5

As usual, lot of very high scores as I try to find stuff I'll enjoy. 3.5 is a very good score and there was only one that I felt like giving any lower than that, so lot of hits this year. See you all next year.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Thanks as always to Fran for organising this. Final ranking for me:

S-Tier The Wailing; Titane; St Maud

A-Tier Crash (1996); Vampyr; Enemy; Green Room

B-Tier Q the Winged Serpent; A Chinese Ghost Story; Boar; The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism; Bride of Chucky; Prince of Darkness; Sleepaway Camp; When a Stranger Calls; Rabid

C-Tier Zombieland Double-Tap; Halloween 4; Gamera vs Viras; Saw 3; V/H/S/2; Evilspeak; The Ward; The Wolfman (2010); IT Chapter 2; Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark; Ghost Stories

D-Tier Halloween 5; Terror in the Ailes; The Addams Family (2019); Jennifer's Body

💩- Tier The Beasterbunny

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bitterandtwisted posted:

B-Tier Q the Winged Serpent; A Chinese Ghost Story; Boar; The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism; Bride of Chucky; Prince of Darkness; Sleepaway Camp; When a Stranger Calls; Rabid

I have a message for you, and you're not going to like it...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to everyone for participating!

I had an incredibly busy weekend, so I wasn't able to hop into the thread as often as I'd have liked. Balancing work, my personal life, and designing a covid-safe social distancing trick-or-treat system at my place took all weekend.

I have six films I watched but didn't even have time to write up. That's the way it goes!

The thread will stay open for my review of everyone's challenges, and I will hopefully post the prizes this weekend, hopefully Friday or Saturday. So if you haven't made a final post detailing your SPOOKY BINGO cards and the movies you watched, you still have some time to post them. As of now, there's almost 60 pages of posts for me to review, so I have my work cut out for me.

I hope everyone had a Happy Halloween.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Final Write Up

This year I watched, in order:

1. The Haunted Palace 4/5
2. Little Shop of Horrors 5/5
3. The City of the Dead 3.5/5
4. Near Dark 3.5/5
5. Malignant 3.5/5
6. The Gorgon 3.5/5
7. Demon Knight 4/5
8. The Lighthouse 4.5/5
9. Count Dracula (1970) 2.5/5
10. A Nightmare on Elmstreet 4.5/5
11. Nosferatu 4/5
12. Def by Temptation 3.5/5
13. Peeping Tom 4.5/5
14. Night of the Demon 4/5
15. The Stone Tape 4/5
16. The Black Cat (1934) 3.5/5
17. Scream 4.5/5
18. Fright Night 4/5
19. House of Usher 3.5/5
20. The Revenge of Frankenstein 4.5/5
21. Deathdream 4/5
22. Wishmaster 3.5/5
23. Horror of Dracula (my only rewatch) 5/5

I think my top five are, in no particular order: Demon Knight, The Lighthouse, Scream, The Revenge of Frankenstein, Little Shop of Horrors. I ended up watching such a good crop of movies this year that I could easily swap in several other movies from the list.

I didn't get a bingo but I really enjoyed the format and would be happy with doing it again next year. Overall this was a really fun year as always!

Final Bingo Card:

Flying Zamboni fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 2, 2021

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Franchescanado posted:

So if you haven't made a final post detailing your SPOOKY BINGO cards and the movies you watched, you still have some time to post them. As of now, there's almost 60 pages of posts for me to review, so I have my work cut out for me.

All 31 movies I watched for the challenge, first with their letterboxd score, and then parenthetically, with the addition of the highly scientific 'spooky' bonus.

Malignant: 2 (7)
Kuso: 3 (4)
Skull: 2 (5)
The Brood: 3.5 (6.5)
Pieces: 2 (6)
Sleepaway Camp: 3 (8)
Lawnmower Man: 2.5 (3.5)
Viy: 3 (6)
The Superdeep: 2 (4)
Better Watch Out: 4 (5)
The Reckoning: 2 (4)
The Pale Door: 1.5 (2.5)
Black Christmas: 5 (10)
Hellraiser: 4 (9)
Tumbbad: 4 (7)
Trick'r Treat: 3 (6)
Don't Breathe: 3 (6)
The Taking of Deborah Logan: 3.5 (7.5)
House on Haunted Hill: 2.5 (5.5)
Drag Me to Hell: 3.5 (7.5)
Mama: 3.5 (5.5)
Evilspeak: 2.5 (5.5)
The Strangers: 2 (3)
Dead and Buried: 3.5 (6.5)
The Howling: 3.5 (5.5)
Train to Busan: 4.5 (6.5)
Titane: 4.5 (6.5)
Candyman (2021): 3 (6)
Witchboard: 3 (5)
Censor: 2.5 (5.5)
V/H/S 94: 3.5 (7.5)

Best in Show: Black Christmas
Best first-time watch: Black Christmas
Worst: The Pale Door
Top Five (No :spooky:): Black Christmas, Train to Busan, Titane, Hellraiser, Tumbbad
Top Six (:spooky: included): Black Christmas, Hellraiser, Sleepaway Camp, Drag Me to Hell, The Taking of Deborah Logan, V/H/S 94
Black Christmas?: Black Christmas

Movies Watched: 31/31
Bingos: 1

BINGO CARD

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I went for the quick and simple SPOOKY along the bottom line there. Feels pretty lazy compared to a lot of other people but I have a lot of October rewatches that I consider to be required viewing every year and it's not typically a time where I like to go very far out of my comfort zone.

The complete list:

1. Phantasm
2. Malignant
3. The Thing
4. The Mummy(1999)
5. The Curse of Frankenstein
6. Child's Play
7. The Fog
8. Hellraiser
9. Beetlejuice
10. Elvira Mistress of The Dark
11. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
12. Dead Heat
13. Halloween
14. Halloween 2
15. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
16. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
17. Halloween: H20 1
8. VHS 94(TALES OF TERROR)
19. Count Dracula(PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK)
20. It Came From Outer Space(SPACED INVADERS)
21. Rats: Night of Terror(ORIGIN OF EVIL)
22. Halloween(2018)
23. Halloween Kills
24. Scream
25. Scream 2
26. Little Evil(THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT)
27. Raw Meat(TO SERVE MAN)
28. Edge of the Ax
29. I Know What You Did Last Summer
30. I Still Know What You Did Last Summer
31. City of the Dead
32. Nosferatu The Vampyre
33. Night Teeth

Now, even with the rewatches I still did get 10 new-to-me films in, which is pretty solid. I think my favorite discoveries this year were Dead Heat, Edge of the Ax, and then also there were two recent releases that I was pleasantly surprised by, Malignant and VHS 94.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

My final tally: 31 films watched, all new to me!

1) The VVitch (2015) 9/10
2) Dawn of the Dead (2004) 7/10
3) It Follows (2014) 8/10
4) Psycho Goreman (2020) 5/10
5) Lake Mungo (2008) 9/10
6) Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (1988) 7/19
7) The Stone Tape (1972) 6/10
8) Society (1989) 7/10
9) The Toxic Avenger (1984) 6/10
10) Halloween II (1981) 6/10 Holiday Massacre
11) Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) 7/10
12) Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) 4/10
13) Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) 5/10
14) Scream 3 (2000) 5/10
15) The Fog (1980) 8/10 Masters of Horror
16) The Driller Killer (1979) 7/10 Video Nasty
17) A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014) 8/10 A Perfect Getaway
18) Cat People (1942) 8/10
19) Spiral (2019) 7/10 Scream, Queen!
20) Scre4m (2011) 7/10
21) Unfriended: Dark Web (2018) 7/10 fear dot com
22) Page of Madness (1926) 7/10 Salomé
23) Doctor Sleep (2019) 8/10 Based On The Novel
24) Kwaidan (1964) 8/10 Tales of Terror
25) Room 237 (2012) 3/10 Behind the Screams
26) Chernobyl Diaries (2012) 4/10
27) Tumbbad (2018) 8/10 डरावनी
28) Willow Creek (2013) 6/10 [REC]
29) Body Parts (1991) 6/10 Starring Brad Dourif
30) The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) 6/10 Don’t Feed The Plants!
31) The Strangers (2008) 2/10

A mixed bag this year. The highlights were definitely The VVitch, Lake Mungo and Doctor Sleep. The Strangers and Room 237 being by far the worst.

Here's the Letterboxd list, and my final bingo card with two spooky lines!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Film log (* indicates a rewatch):
#1) The Night Visitor (2015; DVD)
#2) The Demons of Ludlow (1983; Blu-ray)
#3) Evil Bong 2: King Bong (2009; DVD)
#4) A Taste of Blood (1967; Blu-ray)
#5) The Project (2020; Blu-ray)
#6) Doll Graveyard (2005; DVD)
#7) 輪廻 (Reincarnation) (2005; DVD)
#8) Critters Attack! (2019; Blu-ray)
#9) Voodoo Apocalypse (2018; Blu-ray)
#10) Surf II (1984; Blu-ray rental)
#11) Pumpkinhead (1988; Scream Stream) *
#12) The Wind (2018; DVD)
#13) Devil Story (1986; Blu-ray rental)
#14) Blood Beat (1983; Blu-ray) *
#15) โอปปาติก เกิดอมตะ (Demon Warriors) (2007; DVD)
#16) Digging up the Marrow (2014; DVD)
#17) Zombie Dearest (2009; DVD)
#18) Citadel (2012; Blu-ray)
#19) Watch Me (2006; DVD)
#20) Phantom from Space (1953; DVD)
#21) Deadfall Trail (2009; DVD)
#22) V/H/S/94 (2021; streaming on Shudder)
#23) Timecrimes (2007; DVD)
#24) High Voltage (2018; Blu-ray)
#25) The Blood Lands (2014; DVD)
#26) Dracula (1931; VHS) *
#27) The Gorgon (1964; Blu-ray) *
#28) Leprechaun 3 (1995; Blu-ray) *
#29) A Tattered Web (1971; DVD)
#30) Blackmail (1929; DVD)
#31) Righteous Villains (2020; Blu-ray)
#32) Two Thousand Maniacs! (1964; Blu-ray)
#33) Apartment 143 (2011; Blu-ray) *
#34) Monster A-Go-Go! (1965; Blu-ray)
#35) Color Me Blood Red (1965; Blu-ray) *
#36) Santo and Dracula's Treasure (1969; Blu-ray rental)
#37) Boys of the City (1940; DVD)
#38) Josie (2018; Blu-ray)
#39) 555 (1988; DVD rental)
#40) Distorted (2018; Blu-ray) [fear dot com]
#41) The Banker (1989; digital) [Origin of Evil]
#42) Cujo (1983; Blu-ray) [Based on the Novel]
#43) The Merry Frolics of Satan (1906; Youtube) [Salomé]
#44) Frankenstein (1910; Youtube) [Salomé]
#45) The Eyes of the Mummy (1918; Youtube) [Salomé]
#46) Bloody Muscle Body Builder in Hell (2012; DVD rental) [The Devil Made Me Do It]
#47) Murderablilia (2012?; DVD) [Short Cuts]
#48) The Alphabet (1969; Blu-ray) [Short Cuts]
#49) The Trilogy (1991; Youtube) [Short Cuts]
#50) Captain Voyeur (1969; digital) [Short Cuts]
#51) Don Cheadle is Captain Planet (2011; Youtube) [Short Cuts]
#52) Haunted, Horrifying Sounds from Beyond the Grave (2018; Youtube) [Short Cuts]
#53) 4444444444 (1998; Youtube) [Short Cuts]
#54) The Place Where the Last Man Died (2010; Plex) [A Perfect Getaway]
#55) Mee-Shee: The Water Giant (2005; DVD) [It's Only a Myth]
#56) Little Otik (2000; DVD rental) [Don't Feed the Plants]
#57) The House of the Dead (1978; digital) [Tales of Terror]
#58) Don't Go in the Woods (1981; digital) [Video Nasty]
#59) 폐가 (Deserted House) (2010; Youtube) [[REC]]
#60) Slayer (2006; Prime Video) [As Seen on TV]
#61) Carnival of Souls (1998; Tubi) [They Always Come Back]
#62) Ring of Darkness (2004; Prime Video) [Scream, Queen!]
#63) Cruel Jaws (1995; Blu-ray rental) [Asylum]
#64) Invasion of the Saucer Men (1957; Tubi) [Spaced Invaders]
#65) 劇場版 零 (Fatal Frame) (2014; Youtube) [Video Games Cause Violence]
#66) The Strange and Deadly Occurrence (1974; Youtube) [Dead & Buried]
#67) House of Witchcraft (1989; Youtube) [Something Wicked This Way Comes]
#68) Chiller (1985; Youtube) [Masters of Horror]
#69) The Tell-Tale Heart (2016; digital) [Tales of the Grotesque]
#70) Ticks (1993; digital) [Wild Beasts]
#71) Eaten Alive! (1980; digital) [To Serve Man]
#72) Rot (1997 or 1999; digital) [Punk Vacation]
#73) Candy Corn (2019; digital) [Holiday Massacre]
#74) Pizza (2014; Netflix) [डरावनी]
#75) The Child (1977; Tubi) [Don't Torture a Duckling]
#76) How to Make a Monster (1958; Tubi) [Behind the Screams]
#77) The Innkeepers (2011; Blu-ray) [Hausu]
#78) The Night Visitor 2: Heather's Story (2016; DVD) [Femme Fatale]
#79) Ngôi Nhà Trong Hẻm (House in the Alley) (2013; Tubi) [Rùng Rợn]
#80) The Wizard of Gore (2007; Tubi) [Starring Brad Dourif (No Chucky)]
#81) Kuso (2017; Shudder) [Horror Noire]
#82) The Company of Wolves (1984; digital) [Picnic at Hanging Rock]
#83) Jack & Diane (2012; Blu-ray) [Full Moon]
#84) Premonition (1972; digital)
#85) Nightmare on the 13th Floor (1990; digital)
#86) Blood Shack (1971; digital)
#87) No Place to Hide (1992; digital)
#88) 隙間女 (Spirit Behind the Door) (2014; digital)
#89) 곤지암 (Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum) (2018; Shudder)
#90) シロメ (Shirome) (2010; digital)
#91) Creepshow 2 (1987; Scream Stream)
#92) Hobgoblins (1988; Scream Stream)
#93) 幽霊屋敷の恐怖 血を吸う人形 (The Vampire Doll) (1970; digital)

Did three times my goal of 31, down about 60 from last year's total thanks to sleep issues and a heavier work schedule. Only seven rewatches, though.

Decade totals:
1900s: 1
1910s: 2
1920s: 1
1930s: 1
1940s: 1
1950s: 3
1960s: 8
1970s: 7
1980s: 15
1990s: 9
2000s: 13
2010s: 29
2020s: 3

Shittiest Movie: The Night Visitor
Most Baffling Movie: Devil Story
Biggest Gimmick: The Project (made during the pandemic, so there's virtually no shots of more than one person)
Most Wrestling: Santo and Dracula's Treasure
Most Pleasant Surprise: Murderabilia
Most Perfunctory-Feeling: Candy Corn
Most Goop: Kuso
Most Meta: Shirome
Most Emotionally Touching: Fatal Frame
Poorest Taste: The Trilogy

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Thanks to everyone for participating!

I had an incredibly busy weekend, so I wasn't able to hop into the thread as often as I'd have liked. Balancing work, my personal life, and designing a covid-safe social distancing trick-or-treat system at my place took all weekend.

I have six films I watched but didn't even have time to write up. That's the way it goes!

The thread will stay open for my review of everyone's challenges, and I will hopefully post the prizes this weekend, hopefully Friday or Saturday. So if you haven't made a final post detailing your SPOOKY BINGO cards and the movies you watched, you still have some time to post them. As of now, there's almost 60 pages of posts for me to review, so I have my work cut out for me.

I hope everyone had a Happy Halloween.

would it be helpful to list out what movies we watched for each bingo square? I did that as I logged each movie of course but if you want it plainly spelled out it would probably be easier to have it all in one post

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

gey muckle mowser posted:

would it be helpful to list out what movies we watched for each bingo square? I did that as I logged each movie of course but if you want it plainly spelled out it would probably be easier to have it all in one post

I was surprised more people didn't put the title of the movie in each square as they completed it. I'd always thought that was standard for scavenger hunt bingos.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I was surprised more people didn't put the title of the movie in each square as they completed it. I'd always thought that was standard for scavenger hunt bingos.

I didn't feel like doing that so I just made sure to list each one with the challenge name next to it for easy reference.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I'd like to think my scribbling convinced everyone it was a bad idea, but I bet most of you have way nicer MSPaintwriting.

This was a good month for overall quality, it definitely helped that I decided early on not to stress about hitting a full 31/completing all of the Fran Challenges. I would have liked to fit a few more in, life just isn't very accommodating these days. My final list:

1. In the Earth
2. Gaia
3. Lamb
4. Dementer
5. A Cure for Wellness
6. Titane
7. V/H/S 94, Spooky spot: Tales of Terror
8. Dream Home
9. The Darkest Hour, Spooky spot: Spaced Invaders
10. Demonic, Spooky spot: The Devil Made Me Do It
11. Trouble Every Day, Spooky Spot: To Serve Man
12. Razorback, Spooky spot: Origin of Evil
13. Here Comes Hell, Spooky spot: Picnic at Hanging Rock
14. The Deep House, Spooky spot: Hausu
15. The Medium
16. Kriya, Spooky spot: डरावनी
17. The Ruins, Spooky spot: Don't Feed the Plants
18. Singapore Sling, Spooky spot: Scream, Queen!
19. L'Inferno, Spooky spot: Salomé
20. Graveyard Shift, Spooky spot: Starring Brad Dourif

Best: Trouble Every Day
Worst: Demonic
Exceeds expectations: Graveyard Shift, Razorback

Challenge format thoughts:
I dig the bingo cards. My personal preference would be to go farther with the idea by emphasizing squares you're more likely to hit by picking a movie blind and less able to research; "character trips on a skeleton", "monster's first appearance is emerging from the darkness behind a character", "montage" - that kind of thing. This is partially a personal taste thing, where I tend to enjoy movies more when I know less about them going in and so many of our regular challenges at this point require doing extra research to satisfy - I think it's good to keep some of that as a way to get people watching things they wouldn't normally, but it felt like an overwhelming requirement this year. It's also partially because we're creeping up on the point where several of our recurring challenges will be impossible for regular participants to complete. Obviously my voice shouldn't be the only one considered since we do still have new people coming in and I know some participants really like the planning aspect, but that's how I'm feeling about it.

I also think we should keep brainstorming about challenges that can inspire more thread interaction - I remember we've done "watch something another participant recommends" which was cool albeit kind of messy since so many of us have seen so much. Maybe dial it in a little more narrowly, something like "watch a movie someone in the thread loved that you don't think will be your thing" and "watch a movie someone in the thread hated that you think you might enjoy" to encourage getting a little more into the weeds on engaging with other participants' thoughts about things you both watched.

As always, thank you Fran for organizing.

Final card, two spookies:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

As long as they've got a card that's been marked up, it should be easy for me to review it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Gripweed posted:

I was doing it from my iPad so it adding text was kind of a pain, otherwise I would've done that

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gripweed posted:

I just put the number in. Fran's checking the posts anyway, it's as easy to find them by number as by name.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gripweed posted:

I've never done that for a bingo card before, so I went with fun doodles instead.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

0.5 Short Cuts
1:Possessor
2. The Hole in the Ground
3: Phantasm
3: Eli
4: Venom 2
5: The Guilty (Horror Noire)
6: Lamb (Perfect Getaway)
7: VHS 94 (Tales of Terror)
8: Quicksilver Highway (As Seen on TV)
9: The Severed Arm (To Serve Man)
10: House on Haunted Hill (Hausu)
11. Halloween 2 (1978) (Masters of Horror)
12: Halloween 2 (2009) (Starring Brad Dourif)
13: Halloween Kills (They Always Come Back)
14: The Blob (1988) (Spaced Invaders)
15. The Witches (Based on the Novel)
16. Vampire Dog (Dead and Buried)
17: Night of the Demons (Devil Made me Do it)
18. Little Joe (Don't Feed the Plants)
19: VFW (Punk Vacation)
20: Carnival of Souls (Something Wicked This Way Comes)
21: Tenebrae (Video Nasty)
22. At Midnight I Take Your Soul (Holiday Massacre)
23: Crimson Peak (Picnic at Hanging Rock)
24: Crawl (Wild Beasts)
25: Censor (Femme Fatale)
26: The Empty Man (Only a Myth)
27: Nightmare on Elm Street (Origin of Evil)

All of these were new to me, being tight on time I didn't want to waste time with rewatches beyond having Ghostbusters/Addams Family/whatever on in the background

Pretty good run this year, got some big ones off my list that I've been meaning to watch forever. Really appreciated getting the challenges all at once, especially since I was a little time constrained this year. Would have been better to get them earlier but I'm not complaining about it. Thanks to Fran as always for coordinating our madness.

Best: Lamb was probably the objectively best movie I saw but Night of the Demons was the most enjoyable.
Worst: I wouldn't say I saw anything outright bad, but some of the older ones like Severed Arm were just a bit dull.

Got a couple bingos, really enjoyed this format

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 3, 2021

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.

Franchescanado posted:

So if you haven't made a final post detailing your SPOOKY BINGO cards and the movies you watched, you still have some time to post them. As of now, there's almost 60 pages of posts for me to review, so I have my work cut out for me.

I didn't think to do that, but I will now!

Initially, I challenged myself to watch 13 movies. Movies I've watched before are noted, otherwise it's a new watch.

#1 The Fog (1980) (Re-watch)- Rating 4.5/5
#2 Malignant (2021) - Rating 2/5
#3 Final Destination (2000) (Re-watch)- Rating 3/5
#4 Final Destination 2 (2003) - Rating 1/5
#5 28 Days Later (2003) (Re-watch) - Rating 4/5
#6 28 Weeks Later (2007) (Re-watch) - Rating 4.5/5
#7 Fear Street: Part One - 1994 (2021) - Rating 3.5/5
#8 Fear Street: Part Two - 1978 (2021) - Rating 2/5
#9 Fear Street: 1666 (2021) Rating 4/5
#10 Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) - Rating 5/5
#11 The Host (2006)(Re-watch) - Rating 5/5
#12 Phantasm (1979) - WTF Rating: 10/10 Movie Rating: 2.5/5
#13 Tumbbad (2018) - Rating 4/5

Then for spooky bingo, I watched a bunch more movies, and these were all new to me:

#14 Claimed for Hausu: His House - 2020 - Rating 4/5
#15 Claimed for Salome: Nosferatu - 1922 - Rating 5/5
#16 Claimed for Holiday Massacre- Halloween Kills - 2021 - Rating 4/5
#17 Claimed for Femme Fatale - Slumber Party Massacre - 1982 Rating 1/5
#18 Claimed for As Seen on TV - Count Dracula -1977 - Rating 5/5
#19 Claimed for Full Moon- Ginger Snaps - 2000 - Rating 4/5
#20 (Not for Spooky Bingo) Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed - 2004 - Rating 2.5/5
#21 Claimed for It's Only a Myth - The Empty Man - 2020 - Rating 2/5
#22 Claimed for Based on the Novel - Diabolique - 1955 - Rating 4.5/5
#23 Claimed for Origin of Evil - Demon Seed - 1977 - Rating 1/5
#24 Claimed for Picnic at Hanging Rock - Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning - 2004 - Rating 2.75/5
#25 Claimed for Spaced Invaders - Critters - 1986 - Rating 3/5
#26 Claimed for Tales of Terror - Trick 'r Treat - 2007 - Rating 3/5
#27 (Claimed for To Serve Man, but it didn't really fit) Week-End -1967 - Rating ?/?
#28 Claimed for Dead and Buried - Dead and Buried - 1981 - Rating 3/5
#29 Claimed for Perfect Getaway - Grandmother's Farm - 2013 (From UAE) - Rating 1/5
#30 Claimed for Something Wicked - Carnival of Souls - 1962 - Rating 4.5/5
#31 Claimed for To Serve Man - Parents - 1989 - Rating 3/5
#32 Claimed for The Devil Made Me Do It - The Seventh Day - 2021 Rating 2/5

All of that led to Three Spooky bingos! :toot:

My favorites that I had never watched before from all of these movies were Critters, Carnival of Souls, and Rocky Horror Picture Show. This was a really fun thread to participate in, and the Spooky Bingo Card challenge made me watch quite a few movies I never would have watched before, for better or for worse. A big thank you to Fran for creating this thread and coming up with the challenge! And thank you to everyone else who participated, because some of you gave me ideas for some of the slots in the card!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

So my goal was for thirty-nine: thirteen rewatches, thirteen challenges, thirteen new movies outside the challenges. Final result is instead thirty-five, with eight rewatches and twenty-seven new movies (twenty-eight if you count the collective shorts as one "movie"). That completed nineteen challenges, earning me three spooky bingos, including the two diagonals that I had called out once the cards were announced. I'll call this a mixed success.

The Best
The Day After (1983) [As Seen On TV]
Halloween II (2009 / Unrated Director's Cut)
In the Earth (2021) [It's Only A Myth]
The Innkeepers (2011) [Hausu]
Raw (2016) [To Serve Man]
Saint Maud (2019) [The Devil Made Me Do It]
Titane (2021) [Femme Fatale]

The Worst
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (1978) [Feed The Plants]
Sequence Break (2017) [Video Games Cause Violence]
Starfish (2018)
Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021)

The Rest
Black Box (2020) [Horror Noire]
The Empty Man (2020)
Freaky (2020) [Scream, Queen!]
Frenzy (1972) [Masters of Horror]
The Guilty (2021)
Halloween (2007)
Halloween Kills (2021) [Holiday Massacre]
Horror of Dracula (1958) [Picnic at Hanging Rock]
Man Bites Dog (1992) [Behind the Screams]
The Pool (2019) [A Perfect Getaway]
Psycho Goreman (2020)
A Quiet Place Part II (2020) [They Always Come Back]
The Reef (2010) [Wild Beasts]
The Stepfather (1987)
VFW (2019) [Punk Vacation]
The Voyeurs (2021)

Shorts
Rakka (21:52)
Other Side of the Box (15:49)
Peter the Penguin (9:14)
We Die Alone (23:05)
Corporate Monster (16:44)
O.I. (17:48)

The lesson I'm taking for next year is that with this more open challenge system, I should just do the traditional thirty-one new movies. Rewatching a few things I love is fine, but pressuring myself to watch more when I want to watch something new is silly.

I'd be happy to see the bingo cards return. I might prefer to see them at the end of the first week instead of mid-month, but I appreciate that's more about my own pacing than what is necessarily best for everyone. Mostly next year I'd love to know at the start if that's what we're doing and a day it will be released, whichever day that might be. That would make it easier to plan the month in relation to it.

Thank you to Franchescanado for running this and to everyone who posted in this thread. Between the motivation provided by the challenges and the inspiration provided by other people's choices and their comments, I enjoyed a lot of movies that I might not have otherwise. This thread and the people who contribute to it make October a lot of fun and I hope this continues for years to come.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wrap Up Time.

🎃Halloween 2021: Hooptober Ocho and Spook-a-Doodle HalloweeNIT ’21🎃
Watched - New (Total)
1. The Funhouse (1981); 2. Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (1988); 3. Eden Lake (2008); - (4). Halloween (1978); - (5). The Purge (2013); 4 (6). The Company of Wolves (1984); 5 (7). Kiss of the Damned (2012); - (8). Halloween II (1981); 6 (9). Malignant (2021); 7 (10). The Vatican Tapes (2015); 8 (11). Hard Labor aka Trabalhar Cansa (2011); 9 (12). Alice aka Něco z Alenky (1988); - (13). Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982); - (14). Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988); - (15). Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989); 10 (16). Room 237 (2012); 11 (17). Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (Producer’s Cut) (1995); - (18). Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998); - (19). Halloween: Resurrection (2002); 12 (20). From Hell It Came (1957); 13 (21). Fiend Without a Face (1958); - (22). Hostel (2005); 14 (23). Sea Fever (2019); 15 (24). Tales from the Crypt (1972); - (25). The Shining (1980); - (26). V/H/S (2012); - (27). The Mummy (1999); - (28). 30 Days of Night (2007); 16 (29). Blood Moon (2021); - (30). V/H/S/2 (2013); 16 (31). Jakob’s Wife (2021); 17 (32). Terror Train (1980); - Muppets Haunted Mansion (2021); 18 (33). King Kong Escapes (1967); - (34). V/H/S: Viral (2014); 19 (35). Horror Express aka Pánico en el Transiberiano (1972); - (36). 28 Days Later (2002); - (37). Arachnophobia (1990); 20 (38). Spiral: From the Book of Saw (2021); - (39). It Stains the Sands Red (2016); 21 (40). V/H/S/94 (2021); - (41). The Mist (2007); 22 (42). Humanoids from the Deep (1980); 23 (43). Hell Night (1981); 24 (44). Head (2015); 25 (45). Black as Night (2021); 26 (46). Madres (2021); 27 (47). The Manor (2021); - (48). 28 Weeks Later (2007); 28 (49). The Frozen Ghost (1945); 29 (50). Cult of the Cobra (1955); - (51). Friday the 13th Part III (1982); - (52). Child’s Play (1988); (53). Village of the Damned (1995); - (54). The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988); - (55). Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007); - (56). Halloween (2018); - (57). Child's Play 2 (1990); 30 (58). The Wolfman (2010); - (59). Child's Play 3 (1991); - (60). Bride of Chucky (1998); - (61). Seed of Chucky (2004); 31 (62). Halloween Kills (2021); - (63). Curse of Chucky (2013); - (64). Van Helsing (2004); 32 (65). You Should Have Left (2020); 33 (66). How to Make a Monster (1958); 34 (67). The Vampire Lovers (1970); - (68). Cult of Chucky (2017); 35 (69). The Boneyard Collection (2008); 36 (70). Black Box (2020); 37 (71). Curse of the Undead (1959); 38 (72). Time Walker (1982); 39 (73). The Ward (2010); 40 (74). Versus aka ‘ヴァーサス’ (2000); 41 (75). Cult Following (2021); 42 (76). Fran’s SPOOKY BINGO Short Cuts DIY Anthology - Suckablood (2012)/The Tunnel aka ‘Tunnelen’ (2016)/Night Swim (2014)/The Captured Bird (2012)/Conventional (2015)/Doña Lupe (1985)/The Scooby-Doo Project (1999); 43 (77). The Block Island Sound (2020); 44 (78). Things Heard & Seen (2021); 45 (79). She-Wolf of London (1946); 46 (80). The Vault of Horror (1973); 47 (81). Relaxer (2018); 48 (82). Nocturne (2020); - (83). No One Lives (2012); 49 (84). Faust aka ‘Lekce Faust’ (1994); 50 (85). Untitled Horror Movie (2021); 51 (86). Island of the Fishmen aka ‘L'isola degli uomini pesce’ (1979); 52 (87). BloodRayne 2: Deliverance (2007); 53 (88). Evilspeak (1981); 54 (89). Howling Village aka 犬鳴村 (2019); 55 (90). Deadly Blessing (1981); 56 (91). Alligator (1980); 57 (92). Evil Eye (2020); 58 (93). The Skull (1965); 59 (94). No One Gets Out Alive (2021); 60 (95). The Unholy (2021); - (96). I Saw What You Did (1965); 61 (97). Lunacy aka ‘Šílení’ (2005); 62 (98). Tumbbad aka ‘तुम्बाड’ (2018); - (99). Paranormal Activity (2007); - (100). Paranormal Activity 2 (2010); - (101). The Mummy (1959); 63 (102). Scars of Dracula (1970); - (103). Paranormal Activity 3 (2011); - (104). The Black Cat (1934); - (105). The Black Cat (1934); 64 (106). The Creation of the Humanoids (1962); 65 (107). Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972); 66 (108). My Bloody Valentine (1981); 67 (109). Razorback (1984); - (110). Paranormal Activity 4 (2012); 68 (111). Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark (1973); 69 (112). JD’s Revenge (1976); 70 (113). Little Otik aka ‘Otesánek’ (2000); 71 (114). Seed (2007); 72 (115). Elvira’s Movie Macabre: The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973); - (116). Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (2014); - (117). Evil Dead (2013); 73 (118). Juan of the Dead aka ‘Juan de los muertos’ (2011); 74 (119). Trog (1970); 75 (120). The Complex aka ‘クロユリ団地’ (2013); 76 (121). Riot Girls (2019); 77 (122). Blood Diner (1987); - (123). Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (2015); 78 (124). In Dreams (1999); 79 (125). The Blood on Satan’s Claw (1971); 80 (126). Alive aka ‘アライヴ’ (2002); 81 (127). Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin (2021); - (128). Hell House LLC (2015); 82 (129). The Scorpion with Two Tails aka ‘Assassinio Al Cimitero Etrusco’ (1982); 83 (130). The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974); 84 (131). The Purge: Anarchy (2014); - (132). A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984); - (133). The Others (2001); - (134). As Above, So Below (2014); 85 (135). Asylum (1972); 86 (136). House in the Alley aka ‘Ngôi Nhà Trong Hẻm’ (2013); 87 (137). Fran's SPOOKY BINGO Salomé DIY Anthology (The Ouija Board (1920)/The Queen of Spades aka ‘Пиковая дама’ (1910)/The Witch’s Fiddle (1924)/Au secours! (1924)/A Nightmare aka ‘Le Cauchemar’ (1896)/The Telltale Heart (1928)); - (138). The Blair Witch Project (1999); - (139). Trick ’r Treat (2007)

A shameful 139 films total. 150 according to my Letterboxd list when you add up the short films. 87 new films and 52 rewatches. That’s crazy any way you cut it but I actually did 82 new films (100 total) last year. The big difference for me this year was Mama Goat. Last October her health took a rough turn and an even worse one in December. Since then I’ve spent a lot more time with her and my whole life situation has changed (Covid and quarantines of course having a lot to do with that too). I watch a lot of sports with her and she’s really come to love watching films with me, especially horror. So Halloween became an excuse to revisit a lot of my favorites to show her to them for the first time. That started with the Halloween franchise and just kept rolling all month. And because she can’t follow subtitled films and doesn’t enjoy comedy or more surreal or wild stuff it meant I was basically watching films with her and then sneaking in most of my challenges later. I won’t trade this time and wonderful experience. But it does help explain what happened. The rest is I’m just insane.

I set four challenges for myself and succeeded with 3 of them.

Hooptober Ocho: 39/39 - COMPLETED ✅
HalloweeNIT: 31/31 - COMPLETED ✅
Svengoolie Episodes: 13/26 - FAILED! ❌
Fran's SPOOKY BINGO: 36/36 - COMPLETED ✅

🎃🧑‍💻Spook-a-Doodle Bracketology HalloweeNIT ’21👩‍💻🎃

Hooptober Ocho
6 countries - Eden Lake (UK); Hard Labor (Brazil); Alice (Czechoslovakia); Sea Fever (Ireland); Island of the Fishmen (Italy); Tumbbad (India)
8 decades - Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (1980s); Kiss of the Damned (2010s); Malignant (2020s); Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (Producer’s Cut) (1990s); From Hell It Came (1950s); Horror Express (1970s); The Frozen Ghost (1940s); Versus (2000s)
2 folk horror - The Manor; The Blood on Satan’s Claw
4 films from 1981 - Hell Night; Evilspeak; Deadly Blessing; My Bloody Valentine
2 films from your birth year - Humanoids from the Deep; Alligator
2 haunted house films - Muppet’s Haunted Mansion; You Should Have Left
The worst Part 2 that you haven't seen and can access. (I realize that this will take a little work) - Bloodrayne II: Deliverance
1 film set in the woods - The Company of Wolves
1 Kaiju or Kong film (not the new K v. G) - King Kong Escapes
2 Hammer films - The Vampire Lovers; Scars of Dracula
3 films with a person of color as director or lead. (excluding Asian) - Blood Moon; Spiral: From the Book of Saw; Black as Night
3 Asian horror films. - Howling Village; The Complex; Alive
1 Tobe Hooper Films (There must ALWAYS be a Hooper film) - The Funhouse
EXTRA WORK: WATCH JD's Revenge, The Skull and The Scooby Doo Project

Fran Horror Challenge 2021: SPOOKY BINGO

1. Hausu: You Should Have Left
2. Salomé: Fran's SPOOKY BINGO Salomé DIY Anthology (The Ouija Board (1920)/The Queen of Spades aka ‘Пиковая дама’ (1910)/The Witch’s Fiddle (1924)/Au secours! (1924)/A Nightmare aka ‘Le Cauchemar’ (1896)/The Telltale Heart (1928))
3. Femme Fatale: Nocturne
4. As Seen On TV: Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark
5. Full Moon: The Wolfman
6. Holiday Massacre: My Bloody Valentine
7. Something Wicked This Way Comes: The Unholy
8. Scream, Queen!: The Vampire Lovers
9. Rùng Rợn: House in the Alley aka ‘Ngôi Nhà Trong Hẻm’ (2013)
10. It's Only A Myth: Howling Village
11. Punk Vacation: Riot Girls
12. Tales of the Grotesque: Lunacy
13. Dead & Buried: The Purge: Anarchy (Micheal K. Williams)
14. डरावनी: Tumbbad
15. Video Games Cause Violence: Bloodrayne II: Deliverance
16. Short Cuts: Fran’s SPOOKY BINGO Short Cuts DIY Anthology - Suckablood (2012)/The Tunnel aka ‘Tunnelen’ (2016)/Night Swim (2014)/The Captured Bird (2012)/Conventional (2015)/Doña Lupe (1985)/The Scooby-Doo Project (1999)
17. Don't Torture A Duckling: The Complex
18. Asylum: The Ward
19. Based On The Novel: Things Heard and Seen
20. Starring Brad Dourif: The Boneyard Collection
21. Horror Noire: Black Box
22. Wild Beasts: Razorback
23. They Always Come Back: Halloween Kills
24. Video Nasty: Evilspeak
25. A Perfect Getaway: Juan of the Dead
26. Don't Feed The Plants: Little Ovik
27. fear dot com: Untitled Horror Movie
28. Masters of Horror: Deadly Blessing
29. Behind the Screams: How To Make a Monster
30. [REC]: Cult Following
31. To Serve Man: Blood Diner
32. Tales of Terror: Vault of Horror
33. Spaced Invaders: Time Walker
34. Picnic At Hanging Rock: Relaxer
35. Origin of Evil: Alligator
36. The Devil Made Me Do It: Faust

Hooptober and SPOOKY BINGO actually weren’t too bad. I love those scavenger hunt kinds of challenges and they give me a chance to pick films off my massive watchlist and fit them into a list. There was also a lot of crossover because I’m not so insane as to try and do them all separate. NIT proved a lot harder than I thought. The rigid set of required movies combined with a lot of directors and styles I’m not a fan of led to a lot of pushed back movies and a huge backlog I had to work through. Svengoolie took the loss in part because I felt obliged to watch them in order so it was harder to pick and choose based on my mood or other challenges and in part just because they’re all on a DVR so its harder to watch them than stuff I can get on a device. But also because I’m insane and took on too much and can you imagine if I had watched another 13 movies?

I will definitely be returning for Hooptober 9 and I hope too see Fran’s Spooky Bingo return. I think it would be cool if there were like a ton of possible squares and randomized cards. So you might land old stand bys like Dead and Buried or you might get tough rigid ones like the Vietnam one. Just really throw curves at planning and diversity. But I dunno how to do that and its not my game. Just a thought. HalloweeNIT IS my game and I think I might bring it back next year. I dunno. It might need tweaking and I’d like to find a way to make it more inviting for participation. I dunno. I have a year to think about it. Hopefully I’ll eventually catch up on my DVR backlog of Svengoolie episodes.

General Thoughts

I burned through three full franchises that I wasn’t planning to, but all were basically motivated by new releases this month. Halloween Kills led to me marathoning all the non-Zombie Halloweens. Chucky led to a full rewatch of those films. And a last minute decision to go through Paranormal Activity before Next of Kin. That proved unnecessary but hey, Mama Goat liked them. I usually end up doing some mini marathon or two like that through the month when something really grooves with me but that was all unplanned and just kind of happened.

Best new watches? Muppets Haunted Mansion, Halloween Kills, and Tumbbad and my 3 top rated new films on Letterboxd and I’d say they’re definitely my top 3.. Muppets just felt made for me and was pure joy. I think you probably need to love the parts of it but I do. Halloween Kills has been very polarizing but I think its kind of the same thing. Kills touched on elements of the Halloween franchise that I always loved and wanted to see expanded on. The trauma and impact of Michael’s evil, Hadonfield as a greater character, and the fundamental idea of Michael as more than a man and more of “The Boogeyman”. All of that worked for me a lot. And everything about Tumbbad worked for me. The really vivid, gorgeous fairy tale like fable world that reminded me and others a lot of one of my favorites Guillermo del Toro but felt really all its own as something different for me. Just wonderful.

After that, I dunno. The truth is I didn’t have a ton of standout great new watches. I ranked a ton of rewatches 4 and 5 stars but just those three new watches. I think that actually started to take a toll on me until Tumbbad. It felt like any new films weren’t worth it compared to the old classics and I started wanting to do rewatches more than new films. If it weren’t for the challenges I might have burnt out. But that isn’t to say I had a bad month of new watches. I watched a ton of Welcome To The Blumhouse films (Madres, the Manor, Black as Night, Nocturne, Black Box, and Evil Eyes )that I thought were a really fun set of films that all had something different and a unique voice going for them. My Bloody Valentine was a surprise hit for me since I don’t usually like slashers but it was definitely something different and unique. Jakob’s Wife and Untitled Horror Movie were fun little different things. Jan Svankmajer’s Alice and Faust both were very interesting and creative but he wore on me as the month went on and I watched four of his films. So there was a lot of good stuff, just not a lot of standout new favorites for me.

Its not worth listing my worst. I saw some real crap thanks to NIT and challenges. I’m looking at you, Uwe Boll. You got eliminated first round and I STILL watched two of your films. Never again.

So that’s it. I’ve ranted far too much. I’m sorry for all my wordy posts. I’m sorry for my stupid challenge. I’m sorry, I’m sorry. Thank you to all. So many great reviews and posters I can’t even try and name you all. So many who turned me on to new films or made me re-evaluate films or see things I missed. Thank you to Fran as always for doing it and organizing a great and fun challenge. Thank you all for being a part of my favorite season of the year. I didn’t watch anything today and it felt real good.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Dear lord Goat, you're the mayor of Halloweentown now.

Here's my short wrap up, I guess watching 25 movies randomly didn't net me a bingo:

Best Movie: Baby of Macon, followed by Nocturnal Animals
Worst Movie: Censor subjectively, Paganini Horror objectively
Most affecting: In the Earth. Covid, oof. Tied with Baby of Macon, which was most upsetting.
Almost greats: Gerald’s game, dear lord the ending. Maus, for the sour taste.
Best Soundtrack: Pyjama Girl Case, hands down.
Craziest scene: A cat in the brain, literally. Titane can’t beat that for me.

Honorary mentions to films I watched but didn’t include for various reasons: The Cremator, Black Narcissus, Promising Young Woman – the first two are definitely up there with my favourite horrors, but they didn’t really meet my personal criteria for inclusion. Woman is also good and solid.

Watched: 1. Titane, 2. In the Earth, 3. Goke Body Snatcher from Hell, 4. Baby of Macon, 5. Paganini Horror, 6. Hearts in Atlantis, 7. Witches of Eastwick, 8. Gerald's Game, 9. Spook Warfare, 10. The Pyjama Girl Case, 11. New York Ripper, 12. Censor, 13. CarousHELL, 14. Killer Nun, 15. Critters, 16. Ghoulies, 17. Jigoku, 18. Nocturnal Animals, 19. Creature from the Black Lagoon, 20. The Maus, 21. Block Island Sound, 22. Malatesta's Carnival of Blood, 23. A Cat in the Brain, 24. Il vicino di casa, 25. The Tram

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

STAC Goat posted:

So that’s it. I’ve ranted far too much. I’m sorry for all my wordy posts. I’m sorry for my stupid challenge. I’m sorry, I’m sorry. Thank you to all. So many great reviews and posters I can’t even try and name you all. So many who turned me on to new films or made me re-evaluate films or see things I missed. Thank you to Fran as always for doing it and organizing a great and fun challenge. Thank you all for being a part of my favorite season of the year. I didn’t watch anything today and it felt real good.

I, and I'm sure many others as well, love your giant wordy posts so keep on posting, Goat.

Thanks Fran for the fun bingo, and everyone for your reviews. I love this thread, it led me to check out a lot of great stuff this year.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Here's my list for the month.

1. Prince of Darkness
2. Possessor
3. The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh
4. Death Walks On High Heels
5. Death Wish Club
6. There’s Someone Inside Your House
7. The Devils Rain
8. The Stuff
9. Dead Heat
10. Attack of the Crab Monsters (Fran Challenge: Wild Beasts)
11. The Wasp Woman
12. Graveyard Shift (Fran Challenge: Starring Brad Dourif (not Chucky))
13. VHS94 (Fran Challenge: [REC])
14. Troll 2 (Fran Challenge: The Asylum)
15. Killer Klowns From Outer Space (Fran Challenge: Something Wicked This Way Comes)
16. Berberian Sound Studio (Fran Challenge: Behind The Screams)
17. WNUF Halloween Special (Fran Challenge: Holiday Massacre)
18. Arcade (Fran Challenge: Video Games Cause Violence)
19. Video Nasties (Fran Challenge: Video Nasty)
20. Masque of the Red Death (Fran Challenge: Tales of the Grotesque)
21. Cat People (Fran Challenge: They Always Come Back)
22. Dolls (Fran Challenge: Origin of Evil)
23. Day of the Triffids (Fran Challenge: Don't Feed The Plants)
24. Highway to Hell (Fran Challenge: The Devil Made Me Do It)
25. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (Fran Challenge: To Serve Man)
26. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (Fran Challenge: Don't Torture A Duckling)
27. Deadbeat At Dawn (Fran Challenge: Punk Vacation)
28. Perfect Blue (Fran Challenge: Based On The Novel)
29. Wolf Guy (Fran Challenge: Full Moon)
30. A Homestar Runner Halloween (Fran Challenge: Short Cuts)
31. Vampires vs the Bronx (Fran Challenge: Horror Noire)
32. The Girl With All The Gifts
33. Escape Room
34. Escape Room Tournament of Champions

Favorite thing I watched during the month was either WNUF Halloween Special or Cat People. Biggest surprise was probably Highway To Hell, went in with no expectations. Biggest disappointment was probably Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, because I went in with higher expectations than most.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I got 10 movies in this month, which I am pretty happy with. I watched some really new ones, some really old ones, and lots of purchases I had made in the past but only got around to watching. I also checked out of some of franchise classics that I have mostly seen references to and never actually watched the original. So overall a successful month.

1. The Thing
2. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
3. Cronos
4. Malignant
5. Scanners (Bingo)
6. They Live (Bingo)
7. Bride of Frankenstein (Bingo)
8. Nightmare on Elm Street (Bingo)
9. Trick or Treat (Bingo)
10. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Bingo)

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night

Zechariah posted:

I accomplished all my goals:
- Watched and wrote about 31 films (33, all of them new)!
- Made custom animated GIFs for each of them! (Album here!)
- Completed four lines on the Spooky Bingo card (as long as you count the Silent Hill game series as an adaptation of Jacob's Ladder)!
- Took a massive chunk out of my shame list!
- Had fun!
- Proved to myself I'm not a poser!(?)

Thank you to everyone who participated and Franchescanado for organizing!

For Fran's convenience here is my list of movies that counted towards the Spooky Bingo:

Hell House LLC (2015) - Hausu - It's about a haunted house.
The Borderlands / Final Prayer (2013) - [REC] - A found footage film.
House of 1000 Corpses (2003) - Holiday Massacre - Takes place on Halloween.
The Exorcist III (1990) - Starring Brad Dourif - And how!
Hellraiser (1987) - Origin of Evil - Don't go stealing my identity now.
The Lost Boys (1987) - Scream, Queen! - Filmed by LGBQT+ director, Joel Schumacher.
Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror (2019) - Horror Noire - The definitive documentary about Black Cinema.
Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) - Asylum - Heavily features an insane asylum.
Fear Street Part One: 1994 (2021) - Based On The Novel - Based on the Fear Street book series in both name and plot elements.
Halloween II (2009) - They Always Come Back - Remake of Halloween II (1981) and sequel to the 2007 remake.
Fear Street Part Two: 1978 (2021) - Picnic At Hanging Rock - Takes place in the 70's.
The ABCs of Death (2012) - Tales of Terror - Fuuuuuuck youuuuuuu.
Messiah of Evil (1973) - Femme Fatale - Co-directed by Gloria Katz.
Jacob's Ladder (1990) - Video Games Cause Violence - Inspired the entire Silent Hill series.
Raw (2016) - To Serve Man - Finger lickin' good!
The Haunted Palace (1963) - Tales of the Grotesque - Poe's poem shows up at the end at least.
Cannibal Holocaust (1980) - Video Nasty - Quite nasty.
Psycho Goreman (2020) - Spaced Invaders - Aliens galore.
El Día De La Bestia (1995) - The Devil Made Me Do It - Satan loves fascists.
Tammy and the T-Rex (1994) - Wild Beasts - He's a robot but also a teenage t-rex.
The Blair Witch Project (1999) - Behind the Screams - About as frustrating as I imagine real filmmaking to be.

I wasn't sure if it was more important to complete multiple lines or to fill boxes once the first line was done.
Claiming the Silent Hill games to be an adaptation of Jacob's Ladder might be a stretch, but I stand by it. If it doesn't count and boxes count more than lines, I can easily rearrange things so that 'House of 1000 Corpses' checks off It's Only A Myth.

Thanks again Franchescanado!

Every movie I watched was new, and the Top 3 were:
1. Fright Night (1990)
2. The Exorcist III (1990)
3. Nightmare On Elm St 3: Dream Warriors (1987)

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

Final list and another shout out to Fran for the work put into this (and anyone else) and also everyone who participates. This thread becomes my go to for finding horror movies for the subsequent year.

1. Frozen (Adam Green, 2010) [1st viewing]
2. The Final Girls (Todd Strauss-Schulson, 2015) [1st viewing]
3. Warm Bodies (Jonathan Levine, 2013) [1st viewing]
4. Life After Beth (Jeff Baena, 2013) [1st viewing]
5. Spring (Justin Benson/Aaron Moorhead, 2014) [1st viewing]
6. Suspiria (Dario Argento, 1977) [1st viewing]
7. The Beyond (Lucio Fulci, 1981) [1st viewing]
8. Cherry Falls (Geoffrey Wright, 2000) [1st viewing]
9. V/H/S 94 (Anthology, 2021) [1st viewing]
10. The VVitch (Roger Eggers, 2015) [Re-watch, 4th viewing]
11. Creep 2 (Patrice Brice, 2017) [1st viewing]
12. Willy's Wonderland (Kevin Lewis, 2021) [1st viewing]
13. Lifeforce (Tobe Hooper, 1985) [1st viewing / Bingo: Spaced Invaders]
14. Candy Corn (John Hasty, 2019) [1st viewing]
15. Sea Fever (Neasa Hardiman, 2019) [1st viewing]
16. Freaky (Christopher Landon, 2020) [1st viewing]
17. Nightmare Cinema (Anthology, 2018) [1st viewing / Bingo: Tales of Terror]
18. Halloween Kills (David Gordon Green, 2021) [1st viewing / Bingo: Holiday Massacre]
19. Jigsaw (Michael & Peter Spierig, 2017) [1st viewing]
20. A Nightmare on Elm Street (Samuel Bayer, 2010) [1st viewing / Bingo: They Always Come Back]
21. The Wind (Emma Tammi, 2018) [1st viewing / Bingo: Femme Fatale]
22. The Medium (Banjong Pisanthanakun, 2021) [1st viewing / Bingo: A Perfect Getaway]
23. Land of the Dead (George A. Romero, 2005) [1st viewing / Bingo: Masters of Horror]
24. Fear Street: Part One - 1994 (Leigh Janiak, 2021) [1st viewing / Bingo: Based On The Novel]
25. Fear Street: Part Two - 1978 (Leigh Janiak, 2021) [1st viewing]
26. Fear Street: Part Three - 1666 (Leigh Janiak, 2021) [1st viewing]
27. Candyman (Nia DaCosta, 2021) [1st viewing / Bingo: Horror Noire]
28. Little Shop of Horros (Frank Oz, 1986) [1st viewing / Bingo: Don't Feed The Plants]
29. Raw (Julia Ducournau, 2016) [1st viewing / Bingo: To Serve Man]
30. Tremors (Ron Underwood, 1990) [Re-watch, seen too many times]
31. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (Chuck Russell, 1987) [Re-watch]

Card:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Didn't manage the final bingo due but I'm really glad of what I did manage to watch.

Even unbridled schlock like Slugs.