Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

❤️❤️❤️ I always give them a thank you scritch when I help the little guys cross.

We had some visitors overnight on Monday. We weren't able to reunite with Mom. While I wanted to keep them, there were too many and too young, so I took them to Pros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

This is your casual reminder to make it a priority to carve out deliberate intentional time with your partner. My wife and I spend a lot of time together at home and we enjoy going out with friends and being social, but we’re about to conclude a week and a half long international trip together and it’s been such a treat just to cut out all of the background noise of daily life and enjoy spending time with her as my soul mate and best friend. Even if it’s just a date night here and there, show up and let them know that they matter and how much they mean to you.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Good lil older cat was losing a lot of weight & ultrasound showed a treatable stomach cancer, she’s been on meds for a week and a half and is already a much happier kitty devouring three cans of food a day and being more spry climbing furniture to watch birds.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s not that magical time of year just yet, but we’re getting close to sea turtle hatching season! I’ll post the pics as I get them. Our first nest comes into the hatch window this week, but those tend to run a little long. Early august, we’re off to the races (with up to 6 nests coming into their window on the same day :stonklol: )

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Icon Of Sin posted:

It’s not that magical time of year just yet, but we’re getting close to sea turtle hatching season! I’ll post the pics as I get them. Our first nest comes into the hatch window this week, but those tend to run a little long. Early august, we’re off to the races (with up to 6 nests coming into their window on the same day :stonklol: )

I always share the turtle posts with the wife. They always make her smile.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Icon Of Sin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Kinda dorky but yesterday I mowed the lawn and used subtle forced perspective to make my yard seem longer:

And it made me really happy

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Big step from a little buddy! 🥰

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hell yes

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Icon Of Sin posted:

How many in that batch?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Icon Of Sin posted:

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 11, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ASAPI posted:

How many in that batch?

It was a huge day for nest excavations (5 total), but we only had 3 little ones to show for it. Everyone else had already crawled out, and 2 of the nests only had empty eggshells left :unsmith:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Icon Of Sin posted:

It was a huge day for nest excavations (5 total), but we only had 3 little ones to show for it. Everyone else had already crawled out, and 2 of the nests only had empty eggshells left :unsmith:

Good news, even if you didn't get to see them.

Edit: Turtle season is my favorite season, because it means you'll be making posts in this thread :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Yea, they’re doing great here. Every year I’ve been here (aside from my first) has been the 2nd highest season we’ve ever had. They just keep outdoing themselves slightly every year. It’s a lot of work, but those awkward little dudes are just too cute.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Torrannor posted:

Edit: Turtle season is my favorite season, because it means you'll be making posts in this thread :)

Just the other day I was telling the wife there will likely be baby turtle pictures soon. She also enjoys turtle season posting.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There should be a gif here, if there’s not can someone fix it?

https://i.imgur.com/ZOmt9G1.mp4

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Icon Of Sin posted:

No gif is showing but there is a wonderful video clip.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

No gif is showing but there is a wonderful video clip.

Sweet! They’re kind of one and the same in my head :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Icon Of Sin posted:

Sweet! They’re kind of one and the same in my head :v:

Basically, but the video has audio. :3::kimchi:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

Love me some turtles, hell yeah good vibes

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Look at him go! The young ones at least are not stereotypically slow as a turtle.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
omg yes

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/shiyyGf.mp4

:kimchi:

I came across this little guy this morning, and hung out nearby until he made it to the water

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I love your turtle posts.
Never stop never stopping posting them

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

bulletsponge13 posted:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

bulletsponge13 posted:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

bulletsponge13 posted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bulletsponge13 posted:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

bulletsponge13 posted:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Different than my normal faire, but still fun. We’re in the middle of rare plant surveys (in addition to all things bird/turtle here), and apparently this plant that grows everywhere here is rare across the rest of this state’s coastline? Either way, have some beach morning glory that’s still wearing the morning’s raindrops :unsmith:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:3:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Little dudes are popping off left and right at this point :kimchi:

So, someone misidentified a nesting crawl as a false crawl (where the turtle went through all the trouble of hauling herself out of the water, but didn’t leave eggs for whatever reason). Through absolute sheer dumb luck, me and a different coworker stumbled upon it while digging on another turtle’s track that we suspected of being a nest. The eggs had been underground for about a month at that point, and relocating them at that time during their incubation usually ends in disaster (aka none hatch). The eggs develop their own vasculature (more or less) and any disturbance to the eggs can disrupt that pretty easily, and the embryo inside will just stop developing. But they were in a place on the beach that would end in disaster anyways (routinely overwashed, and the eggs need to stay dry so oxygen can get inside), so we moved the nest as careful as we could to a safer spot.

I haven’t seen how many total eggs there were for that nest, but we counted over 40 little tracks crawling out of it over the last few days, and some of the hatchlings I released tonight were from that same nest :unsmith:

https://i.imgur.com/OxPUGbS.mp4

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Icon Of Sin posted:

I haven’t seen how many total eggs there were for that nest, but we counted over 40 little tracks crawling out of it over the last few days, and some of the hatchlings I released tonight were from that same nest :unsmith:

unironic Thank You For Your Service

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

US Berder Patrol posted:

unironic Thank You For Your Service

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

crosspost from the GBS crab thread

go lil' guy go

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Hermit crabs are cool.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Godholio posted:

Hermit crabs are cool.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Godholio posted:

Hermit crabs are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I was reading that if one is looking for a new shell and finds one that's too big, it'll wait around for a while to see if any other hermit crab comes around too. Because if the shell fits the new guy, his discarded shell might fit the original duder. You can end up with multiple hermit crabs hanging around for this reason, then everyone gets a new house once Cinderella comes along.