Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I’m bikepacking in my favorite part of West Virginia this weekend and I couldn’t be happier.

Goddamn that's nice.

I love being out on the water so I thought I'd share a few of my favourites from my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Not gonna lie, if you had said the triforce was in there somewhere I would’ve spent entirely too long searching for it. That’s pure :swoon:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I saved the life of a groundhog the other day. It was blindly bumbling around outside the place I work at with a soup can stuck over its head, I managed to get a hold of it and wrench the can off. Someone had just thrown it away and the groundhog had probably shoved its head into the can looking for food and gotten its head stuck because garbage people can't throw their garbage into garbage cans.

The groundhog seemed weirdly calm while I was trying to get the can off, probably because it couldn't actually see me. Once I got the can off it shot away like a missile through. I hope the little fellow is still ok. Pretty sure that if I hadn't gotten that can off its head it had probably wandered off to one of the nearby fenced off ditches where no one could find it and died of dehydration or starvation.

❤❤❤

I think the measure of humanity is the risk we take for those that cannot do the same.

And Groundhogs are freaking adorable.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I'm just glad I found it. Afterwards I punched in for a regular semi-dreary shift at work but I knew that no matter how crap my day would be I would still feel good about saving my groundhog bro :)

Also groundhog fur is frickin' coarse.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You know what isn't coarse?

Sloth.

Since I lacked a childhood full of normal experiences, my wife took me to Tanganyika Wildlife Park in KS while we were passing through in August, and I got to pet one of my favorite animals.

The staff also thought I was Lenny from Of Mice and Men, and me yelling, "I love your cereal, Sam!" to a Toucan didn't help in my defense. My wife just documented, and treated me like a giant toddler with a driver's license.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Aww, that's awesome. I live just down the road from Tanganyika. Occasionally they have sloth yoga which my wife and daughter have gone to.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

demi's september 21st charity drive hit 1 million.

https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/1444126574496739329?s=20

the perfect cap to a wonderful thread and a wonderful series of videos.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

MonkeyWash posted:

Aww, that's awesome. I live just down the road from Tanganyika. Occasionally they have sloth yoga which my wife and daughter have gone to.

I'm jealous. We detoured, and while the zoo is tiny as hell (the only zoos I've seen before were the National Zoo in DC, and when I visited the Baltimore Zoo on a field trip), it was super cool.

But I can't imagine their insurance. You could- if one were to break the rules- touch a honey badger. I didn't, but only because my wife kept saying, "What happens if it hurts you?" in the same tone one uses with a preschooler.
"They put it down."
"Right."

I def followed all the rules after that. Mostly.

I can't believe how many animals, particularly primates, they have. I was also shocked that they let people in arms reach of the Mandrills (? blue faced angry monkey with big teeth).

I just saw on their IG they now have Spider Monkeys you can do an encounter with. We are taking my daughter and her friend to swim with penguins, so we will be back, and I can't wait to fiddle with the creatures. They also have kangaroos you can pet, which knocked an animal off my bucket list. The only ones left are every animal on the planet I haven't pet yet (except geese and Beluga whales, both of which are the only exceptions to my nonviolence policy. They chose violence, not me)

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm jealous. We detoured, and while the zoo is tiny as hell (the only zoos I've seen before were the National Zoo in DC, and when I visited the Baltimore Zoo on a field trip), it was super cool.

The county zoo is much larger and quite good as well. They don't have the encounters that Tanganyika has though. If you pass through again let me know. I usually get a season pass to both places that has perks that I can pass along.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This belongs here:

https://twitter.com/rap_knewnie/status/1443978146101948417?s=21

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I rented a kayak and paddled around in a mountain lake. Never seen anything like it, with one bank that had no sand or gradual dropoff -- just a straight drop down to blackness.

Tons of small fish, and dragonflies. I ran across a dragonfly weakly flopping in the cold water, it was surely going to be fish food. I managed to scoop it up and felt its tiny claws grab me. It sat on my knee in the sunlight, slowly turning itself into the wind whenever it could, and warming up and drying in the sun while I paddled around at my own pace. After a good while it vibrated its wings a few times, then just like that it flew off.

Dragonflies are supposed to bring good luck, but mostly it felt good to defy nature.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

:3:

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I got married 2 weeks ago after the plague made us cancel twice, we went up to Lake Windemere in the UK and had a wonderful couple of days with just four of our nearest and dearest.

And the dogs.

Now the important bit. Henry the dog, who loves water but wouldn't actually swim took the plunge and went off the deep end! :dadjoke:
He discovered that he likes swimming and actually getting out the water to come take wedding pictures is what he doesn't like. I would post some pictures but it's basically a dogs head disappearing into the distance on all of them. He also managed to climb up onto an Island and then find he couldn't climb back in the water, so that was fun! Luckily he was about 10m from shore in knee deep water but was hilarious [for us on shore] watching my new stepson go out and get him off there.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

bulletsponge13 posted:

You know what isn't coarse?

Sloth.

Since I lacked a childhood full of normal experiences, my wife took me to Tanganyika Wildlife Park in KS while we were passing through in August, and I got to pet one of my favorite animals.

The staff also thought I was Lenny from Of Mice and Men, and me yelling, "I love your cereal, Sam!" to a Toucan didn't help in my defense. My wife just documented, and treated me like a giant toddler with a driver's license.

Look at you makin’ sloth friends :3:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I got a Radio Flyer three wheeler for a friend of mine’s nephew. I found it near the trash can in my building and cleaned it a little bit.

I am proud to report that my low effort on-a-whim gift is now his favorite thing ever and he is happily bruising his parents’ ankles and dinging up their walls with it. He also doesn’t go anywhere without it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I am bummed I never got babies, and no longer have little ones on my periphery. I unabashedly love that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Being the Cole uncle, eh?

I dont have the photo but my mother has a pic of my two nephews snuggled into me while we read a book about the moon landings together

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

not caring here posted:

Okay, where do I go to find out more

The Kit is a Tamiya TT02 with the Audi Quattro bodyshell.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Soul Dentist posted:

Is that Blackwater Falls? I love it too and there's first come first served primitive campsites that are unbelievably nice.

Yes! Good eye. It’s not the famous falls but it’s within the state park along the Canaan Loop Road.

Here’s a few others from our route. West Virginia is so magic and beautiful this time of year.

Near the end of the Blackwater Rail Trail, 3% grade on a 10 mile long stretch of trail. Used to be the steepest railroad in the US.

Looking down from the top of Bickle Observation Tower.

In Canaan Valley State Park.

We covered around 110 miles and 8,000 vertical feet of climbing in about 30 hours. Super fun and while I am incredibly tired I am just riding on a magic carpet of endorphins and post-ride beer and BBQ.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I’m bikepacking in my favorite part of West Virginia this weekend and I couldn’t be happier.

Had the same idea, though up in Dolly Sods. Super clear night with a ton of stars and a couple of coyote packs howling in the woods.

There was a neat temperature inversion that filled up the lower valley during the night and brought it down below freezing. It was probably 10-15 degrees cooler just 100 feet below where I was camping.

Getting way too crowded up there though, when I left at noon on Saturday there were over 200 cars at the Bear Rocks trail head (which can realistically hold maybe ~30-40). At least most other WV backpacking areas are pretty empty for now. Hard to beat the scenery though.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

This is far and away the chillest thread on the forums atm, fascinating, beautiful and educational.

The sea is deep, dark and delightful

(Note: Lots of embedded videos per page)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

This is far and away the chillest thread on the forums atm, fascinating, beautiful and educational.

The sea is deep, dark and delightful

(Note: Lots of embedded videos per page)

I just felt we needed something good. So I decided to be the change, and I'm really grateful to every one of you awesome people that have brought something to the table. Thanks for being a part of this, it really seems to have struck a chord.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Had the same idea, though up in Dolly Sods. Super clear night with a ton of stars and a couple of coyote packs howling in the woods.

There was a neat temperature inversion that filled up the lower valley during the night and brought it down below freezing. It was probably 10-15 degrees cooler just 100 feet below where I was camping.

Getting way too crowded up there though, when I left at noon on Saturday there were over 200 cars at the Bear Rocks trail head (which can realistically hold maybe ~30-40). At least most other WV backpacking areas are pretty empty for now. Hard to beat the scenery though.

It dipped below freezing in the Sods this weekend? Wow, I was completely unaware- felt like it never got below 50 in the part of the Valley where we spent our first night, and it was otherwise in the 60s during the day.

Those are incredible photos. I have to be really careful about who I tell about the Canaan Valley because I just want to keep this treasure secret!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Spent a solid chunk yesterday watching football and working on completing my UCS Millennium Falcon build

I'd been putting it off for months but my wife got me a coffee table/display case for our anniversary, so it's time. Also nice just unplugging for a day while watching football :3:

Here's Olive for scale.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

These shots are beautiful, well done! :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Spent a solid chunk yesterday watching football and working on completing my UCS Millennium Falcon build

I'd been putting it off for months but my wife got me a coffee table/display case for our anniversary, so it's time. Also nice just unplugging for a day while watching football :3:

Here's Olive for scale.

:stwoon:

Is that the actual lego kit? I didn’t think it was that big, but I still want it :stare:

Found a box turtle chilling in the road. A van passed over it before I could get back to it, but thankfully didn’t hit it :unsmith:

Shellyboi got a lift to the grass on the other side.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Icon Of Sin posted:

:stwoon:

Is that the actual lego kit? I didn’t think it was that big, but I still want it :stare:

Found a box turtle chilling in the road. A van passed over it before I could get back to it, but thankfully didn’t hit it :unsmith:

Shellyboi got a lift to the grass on the other side.

Yep! I bought it as a "Congrats for finishing your marathon and the training it entails!" reward for myself three years ago. But buying a house and a bunch of life events got in the way of me finally starting it till this year.

Also hell yeah at helping turtles cross the road. I did that once with a snapping turtle on my way home from school in New England. The turtle was huge and just slowly making it's way across a rural road. He snapped at me but only after I put him down and was safely away.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I rarely feel good when I do good things- the exception is helping turtles across the road. Something about that always feels good, even if I did gently caress up their day a bit.

Helping turtles is a bro move.

I always wanted to play an instrument, but never had the opportunity or support when I was younger, and then I ended up getting a bit of a Real Estate Deal in service, and ended up with nerve damage and TBI. Finally said gently caress it, I don't care if I learn one loving song, I'm playing a loving song.

You know what's worse than a Banjo? A Ukulele.

What's worse than a Ukulele? A Banjo Ukulele.

And in other Good Vibes, yesterday I finally got a watch that (to me, at least) was the watch of a professional soldier- A Seiko 5 on a NATO strap. It will replace my cheap invicta and G Shock that were lost in a recent house fire.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 4, 2021

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I rarely feel good when I do good things- the exception is helping turtles across the road. Something about that always feels good, even if I did gently caress up their day a bit.

Helping turtles is a bro move.

I always wanted to play an instrument, but never had the opportunity or support when I was younger, and then I ended up getting a bit of a Real Estate Deal in service, and ended up with nerve damage and TBI. Finally said gently caress it, I don't care if I learn one loving song, I'm playing a loving song.

You know what's worse than a Banjo? A Ukulele.

What's worse than a Ukulele? A Banjo Ukulele.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/AXW0pIs.jpg[/image]

And in other Good Vibes, yesterday I finally got a watch that (to me, at least) was the watch of a professional soldier- A Seiko 5 on a NATO strap. It will replace my cheap invicta and G Shock that were lost in a recent house fire.

HA! I also have acquired a Banjo Ukulele!

I mentioned that it might be fun to learn the banjo, but didn't want to spend money on a new instrument (I get squirrely when spending multiple hundreds of dollars). In June I received a tiny banjo in the mail. Turns out you are NOT able to play it like a normal banjo.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

ASAPI posted:

I mentioned that it might be fun to learn the banjo, but didn't want to spend money on a new instrument (I get squirrely when spending multiple hundreds of dollars). In June I received a tiny banjo in the mail. Turns out you are NOT able to play it like a normal banjo.

I had done a little research, but rolled into a small local instrument store and told them I wanted an instrument, but can't really get my hand to form traditional positions for guitar or banjo.
"Can you use two fingers?"
"My wife thinks so."
"Then you can get away with a Uke."

I wanted something that didn't sound so ukulele like, but the baritone (? Deeper sounding) one was out of my price range. So was this one, but I love bluegrass and it was only 50$- not 200$ out of my price range.

Store also gives 2 free 40 minute lessons, and a 90 day check up/restring/tuning.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

ASAPI posted:

I want a banjo-uke, they look very fun.

I have taken up banjo multiple times over the last 20 years, it's super fun and relatively easy to learn, especially if you have little baby hands, the neck is a lot thinner than most guitars it seems. If you are still looking, try to find a used Deering Goodtime, you should be able to find one for like 200 or so, depending on how fancy it is. Or maybe look for an early 2000's Fender, they are/were rebadged Chinese instruments, but the quality is pretty decent and you can probably grab one for under $100 if you are patient.

I might need to dig mine out of the closet and start paying again when my hand is healed up. Thanks for the inspiration thread!

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I had done a little research, but rolled into a small local instrument store and told them I wanted an instrument, but can't really get my hand to form traditional positions for guitar or banjo.
"Can you use two fingers?"
"My wife thinks so."
"Then you can get away with a Uke."

I wanted something that didn't sound so ukulele like, but the baritone (? Deeper sounding) one was out of my price range. So was this one, but I love bluegrass and it was only 50$- not 200$ out of my price range.

Store also gives 2 free 40 minute lessons, and a 90 day check up/restring/tuning.

I received the $60 special from Amazon with no instruction. I also wanted some bluegrass in my life, but wanted to learn Scruggs style, that seems like more work than it is worth to learn on a uke, so it's back to stalking pawn shops for a special!

bengy81 posted:

I want a banjo-uke, they look very fun.

I have taken up banjo multiple times over the last 20 years, it's super fun and relatively easy to learn, especially if you have little baby hands, the neck is a lot thinner than most guitars it seems. If you are still looking, try to find a used Deering Goodtime, you should be able to find one for like 200 or so, depending on how fancy it is. Or maybe look for an early 2000's Fender, they are/were rebadged Chinese instruments, but the quality is pretty decent and you can probably grab one for under $100 if you are patient.

I might need to dig mine out of the closet and start paying again when my hand is healed up. Thanks for the inspiration thread!

I figured I could get under $100 with patience. Part of the "fun" of learning is finding things to learn on.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

It dipped below freezing in the Sods this weekend? Wow, I was completely unaware- felt like it never got below 50 in the part of the Valley where we spent our first night, and it was otherwise in the 60s during the day.

Those are incredible photos. I have to be really careful about who I tell about the Canaan Valley because I just want to keep this treasure secret!

It was nice and warm during the day but got cold fast once the sun went down.

Got up around 1 am and there was a ~6 foot layer of thick freezing fog slowly drifting downhill with totally clear stars overhead. The outside of my tent had a pretty good layer of frost going on it.

Got up again around 6:30 before the sun came up and it was noticeably warmer with no fog and no frost, probably in the low 40s and very comfortable. Walked a couple dozen yards downhill and the temperature dropped fast with a frost line that looked like it was drawn with a ruler. There was virtually no wind all night long which probably helped concentrate the cold air in the low areas. I've heard about it happening out west in the High Country but first time I've seen something like it on the East Coast.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Thanks! That's a pretty nice set up you've got for the Falcon, a couple friends got some but then struggled with how to display it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Leaving this someplace this week.

I saw the concept somewhere on social media, and dig it.

Worse case, the police blow up 5$ worth of artin' and craftin'.

Best case, someone's day gets better.

I want to make it a semi-regular thing, but don't want to commit to that idea.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Gave Doom Patrol a try and was delighted to learn it owns. Brendan Fraser is great

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kNxJduFDzoQ

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Good things: Covid restrictions have lifted slightly and I can now at least go outside my immediate area. So I went out west and took a nice walk on a beach and enjoyed the clean air. Life is good.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I love this thread.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I think I did a really good job looping this gif of my cat

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 6, 2021

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
oh boy a gip astrophotography thread

i pushed the limits of doing shots without an astral mount but it still worked well enough

the non-night portions of utah are also quite nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

oh boy a gip astrophotography thread

i pushed the limits of doing shots without an astral mount but it still worked well enough

the non-night portions of utah are also quite nice!

Nice! I'm hoping to get out to Grand Staircase Escalante in the spring, haven't been out to the Southwest outside a few short trips to the Phoenix area.