Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zotoTKJ3ivE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ6vSn7PaPI

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It’s Friday, folks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I got a Radio Flyer three wheeler for a friend of mine’s nephew. I found it near the trash can in my building and cleaned it a little bit.

I am proud to report that my low effort on-a-whim gift is now his favorite thing ever and he is happily bruising his parents’ ankles and dinging up their walls with it. He also doesn’t go anywhere without it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soul Dentist posted:

Is there a dog thread that's not in PI? I've avoided that sub because I worry about judgement.

You’re about to enter the best thread on the internet.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don't plan on staying active on the forums. Just wanted to drop in and say hello.

I have been flourishing.

My previous project at work was COVID-centric and became such a drag on my mental health that I checked out about halfway through last year. I recently got put on another project and I have never thrived so much professionally since I was a dumbass soldier in the Army.

Last year I did so much work on myself that I feel like a completely different person.

I have been so happy that I feel like I am in a prolonged manic state.

A few things I did that I hope others will consider doing: get the gently caress off of social media. All of it. Even these forums. I don't care that it is the only way you talk to your Aunt Betty from Norway. Get her phone number, her WhatsApp or whatever, and log the gently caress off. You are torturing yourself and ruining your mental health over it. And for what? To stay informed? gently caress that. Be healthy. You aren't going to stop the bad poo poo from happening anyway.

Psychodelic therapy. TwoFinger and FV helped me navigate some of this. They got to receive a bunch of my messages while I was figuring myself out, and learning who I am and what makes me tick. One of the most major realizations I had is that I have an identity crisis, one that I suspect a lot of men struggle with, and is probably the driving factor behind a lot of my issues:

I had no idea who I was, I only knew what I wanted the world to see me as.

Imagine every choice you make being influenced by what everyone else thinks, from what you wear to where you go out to eat. I didn't even know I was doing it. You probably don't even know that you are doing it either. My entire life was co-dependance and a lie. I had no interests or hobbies, I only had other peoples' interests and hobbies.

Now? I pretty much date myself. I buy myself stuff. I take myself out to dinner. I go to the movies by myself.

For a while my golden rule was to ask myself if I would do something without someone -- for example, if no one goes to dinner with me, will I still go? If I wouldn't do it by myself, I forced myself to do it anyway. I made a day of the week that I go to dinner (Wednesdays because the crowds aren't crazy) and I go with or without somebody. At first it was awkward. But now it is something I look forward to every week.

Having something to look forward to can make all of the difference.

I cannot stress this enough: GET THE gently caress OFF OF SOCIAL MEDIA. IT IS NOT HELPING YOU. YOU ARE NOT MORE INFORMED FOR OR CONNECTED BEING ON IT. YOU ARE NOT MORE CONNECTED BECAUSE YOU HAVE AN INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT. THIS WILL BE THE BIGGEST FAVOR YOU COULD DO FOR YOUR MENTAL HEALTH. I AM SO loving SERIOUS, THIS FEELS GREAT.

If most of your social media usage is to be miserable rather than ~*~stay connected~*~ with people, then you're just using that as an excuse to stay on social media. Addict behavior.

And keeping an active account but "never logging on" is a fool's bet.

Just delete the loving things.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 26, 2023