Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's sort of fun that Secret Wars II is a story about an omnipotent child who spends a lot of his time using his power to create stupid gadgets and conspicuously consume. Even in the last issue, the Beyonder still comes off like Jim Shooter wrote all his dialogue with a Sharper Image catalog open on the desk in front of him.

In retrospect, you couldn't get that out of anywhere and anytime besides America in the '80s. It reminds me a lot of Bret Easton Ellis, weirdly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I was never actually quite sure whether Shooter was going for humor, or satire, or just couldn't think of anything better to do with an omnipotent idiot-child than give him strong Brewster's Millions energy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Having the Beyonder murder your entire favourite teen team was a hell of a thing.

And not just your typical bolt from the blue or massive explosion. That was some custom-tailored, merciless killing.

I'm really glad I didn't read that until I was old enough to handle it.