Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That was that movie with the olympic lady they made in the 80s I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Speaking of sausages. What do you all like to eat on bonfire night? I was thinking of having some friends over to wave sparklers about in our back garden, celebrate nearly blowing up parliament etc. I then realised short of bonfire toffee and mulled wine I've no memory of the food as a kid.

Grilled sausages, mulled apple juice, hot chocolate?

Home made spicy baked beans in mugs? Smokey Chilli? I could just smoke a brisket or pork shoulder all day I guess.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Bonfire night is kinda wild when you think about it, a whole country chanting 'BURN HIM' in unison. Very :britain:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I was saying Burnham.

Mebh posted:

Speaking of sausages. What do you all like to eat on bonfire night?
Sausage rolls. Jacket potatoes (ideally wrapped in foil and cooked in the fire). Sausage cobs maybe.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Another good option for cooking in a fire that I was introduced to a couple of years ago: half an orange, scoop out the flesh, fill with a smashed up chocolate bar, wrap in foil, cook in the fire. From personal experience, please allow for some cooling time before shoving molten chocolate orange into your face.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Mebh posted:

Speaking of sausages. What do you all like to eat on bonfire night? I was thinking of having some friends over to wave sparklers about in our back garden, celebrate nearly blowing up parliament etc. I then realised short of bonfire toffee and mulled wine I've no memory of the food as a kid.

Home made spicy baked beans in mugs? Smokey Chilli? I could just smoke a brisket or pork shoulder all day I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xBIfqCAWy8

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Just got back from a weekend running around the woods as a cowboy fighting alien pod-people while dodging exploding bridges (done with full on pyrotechnics) and ending up covered in green slime and clingfilmed to a tree by an alien queen that looked like a giant fanged vagina. Best hallowe’en weekend ever.

A++, would do arboreal slime bondage again

Edit: oops, not chat thread. Mybad.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

stev posted:

I've only encountered glue traps once - at my in-law's house - and they're horrible. Hearing the panicked squeaking in the middle of the night, seeing a glued mouse writhe around in terror, ripping it's own body off the trap was downright disgusting. And having to pick it up and dispose of it while the mouse was still alive wasn't exactly fun. I've never had a mouse infestation but if I ever do I'm not allowing those things anywhere near the place.

I've used glue traps twice, definitely a very, very last choice on any occasion. :(

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/profdanhicks/status/1454779291850493955?s=19

It's good our PM has the historical understanding of a 14 year old on 4chan.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Roman Empire fell because they didn’t level up enough after being 5-1 down at halftime

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Nenonen posted:

It all depends on what you're growing. Things that are handpicked (veggies), you need cheap and accustomed workforce for it. Grain and cattle fodder you collect with huge tractors, likewise dairy and poultry doesn't need much workforce with all the modern doodats that have largely automated animal keeping.

My SO's sister is married to a dairy farmer, we actually visited them last night since we hadn't met since July. It's a 1.5 hour drive and it's run by her husband and his brother, and their elderly parents help out a little (in their 80s now), it's pretty long hours and it's every day. The saving grace though is the work is spread out over the day into instead of along 8 hour slog and there is some flexibility with some tasks. On the other hand, that means there is no work life separation. Your work is your life and you don't get weekends off.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

I mean there is literally a historian chap who literally wrote a whole blog post about how this is the opposite of true recently

https://acoup.blog/2021/07/30/collections-the-queens-latin-or-who-were-the-romans-part-v-saving-and-losing-an-empire/

This is what actual you know subject matter expert people who study the subject think, as opposed to someone who read some Gibbon at Eton in the 1950s.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Mebh posted:

bovril in a polystyrene cup and hotdogs that taste faintly of diesel, traditional bonfire night foods

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

I knew this loving uncontrolled immigration poo poo was coming as soon as he started talking about the 'fall of Rome'.

There's a far stronger argument that the 'fall of Rome' was caused by people talking poo poo about the alleged fall of Rome, and Watts' books give some interesting backstory if you like sectarian slapfights between old men in silly hats being appropriated for political ends and causing widespread ruin.

Boris Johnson evidently does, just not in the reading about them way.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness
Clearly a second-rate amateur historian - he could have gone for the Bronze Age Collapse, with added headlines about SEA PEOPLES.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I wonder if anyone has made the argument that Rome fell because its leaders became too woke

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I wonder if anyone has made the argument that Rome fell because its leaders became too woke

Stefan Molyneaux and others have made the argument that the grain dole collapsed the empire, which is why the welfare state is bad.

Also various MRA weirdos have tried to suggest that women's liberty also caused it.

To be honest it is probably easier to try to list things that people haven't decided caused the collapse of the roman empire.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure that Spiked or the Spectator either have or are working on it.

I think Julius 'Mussolini wasn't fash enough' Evola made a similar case too, that Christianity is too soft and universalist and love your neighbour and anyone can be a Christian and that's what killed Rome, insufficient racially pure macho phallus cults, so they'd just have to borrow some books from Taki.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I guess this is as good a time as any to highlight the absolutely excellent Fall of Civilizations podcast, especially the episode on Roman Britain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1whRd_c_irk

But also, I read this today, a fascinating little look at how the prophecy of the Limits to Growth have rather accurately predicted the course* of our own civilization's collapse and, if the chart is to be believed, we here in 2021 are experiencing the peak of society, it's all downhill from here: https://www.resilience.org/stories/2021-09-02/a-prayer-for-nonbelievers/

*assuming we weren't going to do anything about it to prepare (we didn't do anything about it to prepare)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Stefan Molyneaux and others have made the argument that the grain dole collapsed the empire, which is why the welfare state is bad.

Didn't the grain dole pre-date the Empire by at least a few decades? Think it was one of the Gracchi who introduced subsidised food, and then free food came within the following 5 decades. I've seen arguments the dole let to the fall of the Republic (& I'm hard stretched to care, the Republic seems to have been pretty shite for the plebs on the whole) but not the Empire.

Boris is a really good advert for Oxford's Classics degree because holy poo poo the man understands nothing. Anyone trying to tell you one thing caused the Empire to die is someone not worth listening to. Also pretty sure that migration also helped the Empire survive as long as it did, grrr

The Dark Ages reference too. There's a man who hasn't read anything on the subject published after Queen Victoria died.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I... just.... don't...... I mean... just look.....erm....

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Didn't the grain dole pre-date the Empire by at least a few decades? Think it was one of the Gracchi who introduced subsidised food, and then free food came within the following 5 decades. I've seen arguments the dole let to the fall of the Republic (& I'm hard stretched to care, the Republic seems to have been pretty shite for the plebs on the whole) but not the Empire.

Boris is a really good advert for Oxford's Classics degree because holy poo poo the man understands nothing. Anyone trying to tell you one thing caused the Empire to die is someone not worth listening to. Also pretty sure that migration also helped the Empire survive as long as it did, grrr

The Dark Ages reference too. There's a man who hasn't read anything on the subject published after Queen Victoria died.

I only know it specifically from a video talking about how stupid an argument it is, but yes the general gist was "they introduced the grain dole and then five hundred years later the western empire collapsed, clearly this is the cause"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I guess this is as good a time as any to highlight the absolutely excellent Fall of Civilizations podcast, especially the episode on Roman Britain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1whRd_c_irk

But also, I read this today, a fascinating little look at how the prophecy of the Limits to Growth have rather accurately predicted the course* of our own civilization's collapse and, if the chart is to be believed, we here in 2021 are experiencing the peak of society, it's all downhill from here: https://www.resilience.org/stories/2021-09-02/a-prayer-for-nonbelievers/

*assuming we weren't going to do anything about it to prepare (we didn't do anything about it to prepare)

Fall of Civilizations; i just finished the Assyrians about two hours ago, i would put them ahead of Dan Carlin (though Dan does tell a wonderful story).

Limits to Growth looks interesting.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

Boris warns EU not to back EU in fishing rules Boris agreed too!

Boris is leading COP26, world should listen to him!

Boris promises a turkey on every plate for christmas!

(Charles: Er, I'm just here to remind you I might be king soon.)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Boris literally doing the joke from the start of this video but seriously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqCCx4wj79o

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Has anyone been to cineworld lately and if so how exactly are they enforcing the social distancing thing they're promoting?

I just went to see a film this afternoon and booked online earlier in the week and I was the only person in my row/immediate area when I booked. However, after i sat down today a family of 4 plonked down right next to me and then another group of 4 right behind me.

The rest of the row was empty and I can sort of understand Cineworld letting people sit in front and behind each other, but how the hell did this family of 4 manage to get the seat right next to mine.

The cinema was also relatively empty as a whole, so irrespective of whether they were allowed to book them online or not I still think they were shitheads for sitting right next to me.

Also, for anyone who cares the 4X wasn't really worth the extra cost. It was marginally more immersive when it was on, but the problem is it kept turning on and off throughout the film so it kept breaking the immersion.

Also, while I'm griping about companies, gently caress Greggs drive-though. What a stupid idea it is to apply that type of ordering system to a product range that takes 20 minutes to make a fresh batch. Tried twice now since it's opened, and each time you finally get up to the ordering booth:

"Can I get a steak bake please?"
"Sorry we're out"
"Sausage roll?"
"Sorry don't have any of those left either, it's been a busy Saturday lol. We only have [things you don't want] left, how about that or a hot drink?"
"No thanks, I'll just wait 10 minutes stuck in this single lane drive-through waiting for the people in front of me to get their stuff and leave before I can get away from your failure of a business".

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OK, I can see the Benny Hill resemblance now

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

But also, I read this today, a fascinating little look at how the prophecy of the Limits to Growth have rather accurately predicted the course* of our own civilization's collapse and, if the chart is to be believed, we here in 2021 are experiencing the peak of society, it's all downhill from here:

Predicting 2020 from 2021 is really not that impressive a trick. Calling it a prophecy is pretty misleading , when all it really is a trivial model that contains no information more profound than ‘if we assume there is no food, then people will starve at _this_ rate’.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Bonfire night is a poo poo holiday for gammons, total prod fest celebrating not blowing up parliament for some reason.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I just wanted an excuse to grill sausages honestly.

So reading about what caused the actual fall of Rome, and repudiating the anti immigrant narrative, how come it's rarely summed in short? I can find extremely detailed references but nobody on social media just says

"the Roman senate refused to give representative rights to newer citizens, causing a rise in internal tensions and then grossly mismanaged a refugee crisis with the goths by fleecing them of their wealth and then selling their children into slavery in exchange for food rather than giving them the land and support they were promised. "

It's all so eerily familiar. Yet not in the way the right thinks.

There's a lot more nuance to it of course but hey guess what, we treated our mercenaries and new citizens like poo poo, made enemies of everyone then ignored all the fires while looting our own coffers and started a war due to our own greed... Yay.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 31, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
My parents used to do a big bonfire night party every year. Me mum did a veg chilli and a meat one, and loads of baked spuds as it was easy to scale to however many people came. I guess if you go to a proper pay money show there's probably burger vans or whatever.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

radmonger posted:

Predicting 2020 from 2021 is really not that impressive a trick.

:raise:

Limits to Growth was written in 1972 so I'm not sure what you mean by that. Anyway, it's not quite as simple as you make it out to be, wikipedia has a pretty good primer on the modelling behind it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Limits_to_Growth

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

:raise:

Limits to Growth was written in 1972 so I'm not sure what you mean by that. Anyway, it's not quite as simple as you make it out to be, wikipedia has a pretty good primer on the modelling behind it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Limits_to_Growth
This puts me in mind of a striking narrative I remember reading - just how much economic growth it would take to boil the oceans from low-grade heat.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

fuctifino posted:

To be fair a free water filter is pretty good timing. Looking forwards to when it's the anti rads pills giveaway.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

There is only one goon-approved version of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAJ66ZSQ4b4&t=156s

(Timestamped to the start of the song but worth scrolling back to the start as Joe explains some of the operation of the machine. This, by the way, remains the acme of Youtube content for me - a bloke who loves his subject talking about it then demonstrating it. Apparently Joe isn't even really aware of Youtube or even the internet, the videos are all shot and uploaded by a neighbour of his, which makes him even more of a hero IMO)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I only know it specifically from a video talking about how stupid an argument it is, but yes the general gist was "they introduced the grain dole and then five hundred years later the western empire collapsed, clearly this is the cause"

Belter, because 500 years isn't a long time for an empire to last. Also think the dole lasted a couple hundred years longer in Constantinople.

Sometimes it's hard to tell between intellectual dishonesty & sheer stupidity

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There is only one goon-approved version of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAJ66ZSQ4b4&t=156s

(Timestamped to the start of the song but worth scrolling back to the start as Joe explains some of the operation of the machine. This, by the way, remains the acme of Youtube content for me - a bloke who loves his subject talking about it then demonstrating it. Apparently Joe isn't even really aware of Youtube or even the internet, the videos are all shot and uploaded by a neighbour of his, which makes him even more of a hero IMO)

He left a comment on that video.

I'm personally hoping it's his one direct interaction with the internet ever tbh, it's too rotten for good souls.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Mebh posted:

Slice a whole banana open lengthways like it's Mel Gibson in Braveheart. Cram chocolate buttons into the wound. Wrap in foil and hurl in flames. Eat when patience evaporates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

I mean there is literally a historian chap who literally wrote a whole blog post about how this is the opposite of true recently

https://acoup.blog/2021/07/30/collections-the-queens-latin-or-who-were-the-romans-part-v-saving-and-losing-an-empire/

This is what actual you know subject matter expert people who study the subject think, as opposed to someone who read some Gibbon at Eton in the 1950s.

Boris's conclusion isn't even what Gibbon said about it. Gibbon's opinion was in essence that the legion commanders acquired new ideas from foreign parts and the Roman emperors started looking out for themselves instead of for the empire. In the interest of protecting their own power and wealth they stripped the legions to the bone, and they turned their focus entirely inward. So it was a combination of insularity and xenophobia, corrupt leadership who only cared about enriching themselves, and austerity. Sound familiar?