Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Skyfall was a bad, boring and stupid movie and I'll die on that hill.

But it was still better than Spectre. "Remember how ludicrous it was in the last film when the villain had perfectly manipulated events to be exactly where he wanted to be at a precise time, even though there were countless potential points of failure and an almost infinite number of variables he couldn't possibly predict? We're going to quintuple-down on that with an arch-villain who not only secretly controlled the events of the previous three movies, but is also James Bond's previously-unmentioned adoptive brother, and oh yes, he's Blofeld!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

therattle posted:

She does care deeply. She cares deeply about loving them over in as cruel and callous way as possible. I think Tory Hone Secretaries have to be sociopaths.
But do only horrible people take the job, or does the job turn them into horrible people? (The answer's obvious in Patel's case, but...)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Oh dear me posted:

How is milk solved? I've never found a substitute that tastes the same.
I just consider milk as coffee cooler, and have found the cheapest supermarket own-brand "soya drinks" (because they can't use the word 'milk' in their names) do a perfectly fine job, as they taste of nothing. The more expensive fake-milks like oat, cashew or whatever taste entirely too much like what they are and I don't want that in my coffee, thanks.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1445666514225356800?s=20

One well-targeted Paveway could have increased the sum total of happiness in these benighted islands by approx. 1 million percent.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

keep punching joe posted:

I guess I'm just impressed that someone who's sole political objective is to bring about the end of the UK is more popular than Sir Flagshagging Copfelator.
There's got to be a fair-sized contingent (me amongst them) in England/Wales/NI who look at the state of the country and go "yup, bring it on."

We'd at least find the exact number of years when "this union was just a phase, an experiment, nothing permanent" becomes "this union is eternal and indivisible!" in the eyes of the flagshaggers.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

therattle posted:

Spineless sack of poo poo. Saudi Arabia is such a disgusting country that he shouldn't have even thought about that issue for longer than a second before coming out against it.
The British Establishment is absolutely onside for Saudi Arabia no matter what horrific human rights abuses they commit and anti-Western fundamentalist causes they back, because the Saudis hate Iran as much as they do, and there's a ton of sweet, sweet arms deal money that can be wrung from that. Kieth is deeply committed above all else to being part of that Establishment and protecting its interests, as there'll be lots of lucrative speaking opportunities and a seat in the Lords at the end of it!

The people? Working classes? Whuh?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Jesus. If £27m suddenly came my way I'd be in Monaco the next day.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Eco-terrorism is a touchy subject, since it hasn't been actualised yet.
That reminded me of 'eco-nuts are evil and must be destroyed by red-blooded American manly men' technothriller Rainbow Six, in which millionaire author and supposed research genius Tom Clancey forgot that summer comes at different times of year in the northern and southern hemispheres. Which kind of seriously damaged the plot.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Country status: hosed.

quote:

Austerity was seen by many switchers as an unfortunate but necessary economic policy, while higher taxes on the those earning high salaries were viewed as punishing hard work and success.

quote:

The report, while praising Keir Starmer’s recent party conference speech, found that among those ex-Labour backers who had switched to Boris Johnson in 2019, the Conservatives were now seen to have “a record of delivery” on issues such as Brexit, the furlough scheme, vaccinations and running the economy since 2010.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/17/labour-needs-big-ideas-to-win-voters-back-report-warns

The main thing I associate the Tories with delivering is 160,000+ deaths, but nobody asked me.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Here's a depressing statistic that Facebook Memories just reminded me about:

One year ago today, 1 in every 1543 Brits was dead from covid.
Now, it's 1 in every 422.
(Using the official covid death figures from gov.uk)

"Let the bodies pile high in their thousands," indeed.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

do you mean 1 in every 1543 british deaths was from covid?

and now its 3-4 times as high?

what was the lockdown status at this time last year though? and how many deaths in total?

dont cherry pick deaths to make things seem poo poo.
Take UK population and divide by number of covid deaths at that time. Pretty simple; smaller "1 in X" result is worse. One year on, UKP/CD is a gently caress of a lot worse, in large part because of our government's lovely "wear a mask, or don't, whatever, we just want economic number go up so eat out to help out" policies.

Meanwhile in New Zealand, a country with competent leadership that took the pandemic seriously: total number of covid deaths in that same one-year period? Three. Was 25, is now 28. Even if you multiply the numbers by 14 or so to account for the population difference, we still have more deaths in a day than they did in a year.

So I'm not cherry-picking anything - things are poo poo. Like your posts.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

fuctifino posted:

I got a ban on my local newspaper's facebook page for typing 'The Duke of Deadinburgh" when Philip snuffed it.

Is there an equally offensive-to-gammons phrase for Liz for when she finally dies?
Queen Elizadeath.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Communist Thoughts posted:

Later seasons of Veep got real bad too.

I remember there's one ep where a plot point is that the americans accidentally droned a civilian target and now they might get sent to the hague for war crimes
Lol, I think it's literally US law that if an American ever ends up heading for trial at The Hague they'll send Seal Teams 1-23 to get them out.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The next Tory election slogan posted:

PUMPING poo poo.
TALKING poo poo.
JUST PLAIN poo poo.

Vote Conservative

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Visions of them never actually announcing that the Queen is dead because they realise support for the monarchy will plummet once Chuck takes over, so she's going to end up like the Emperor from Warhammer 40K, reigning while stuck on a throne for all eternity.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Endjinneer posted:

This sewage thing, has there been a recent change in volumes discharged or is this a weird tipping point when people overnight become deeply opposed to something that's been happening since humans built houses.
Mild legislation in the Environment Bill causing the public to demand much more stringent legislation on something they previously hadn't bothered about.
I think it's the sheer "gently caress you, plebs" attitude from the Tories over it. First they vote for it, then they double down on how they would vote for it again even harder if they could, then finally they gaslight everyone about how it's actually a good thing for the water company shareholders country. Even (most) forelock-tuggers have a limit to how much arrogance they'll endure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

PawParole posted:

God save our gracious King!
Long live our noble King!
God save the King!
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the King!

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter his enemies,
And make them fall:
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix:
God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
On him be pleased to pour;
Long may he reign:
May he defend our laws,
And ever give us cause,
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the King!

May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God Save the King

Anyone who sings that full-throat, knowing every word and without a trace of irony should be kicked into the loving sea. And that includes the guy in the picture. (Somehow, I imagine the "you can grow concrete" talk-radio man would do all three.)

Plus side, this may start a new republican movement as people go "holy poo poo, what were we thinking for the past almost 70 years?"

Edit: I can only hear the "Rebellious Scots to crush" line in my head in the outraged voice of Billy Connolly.