Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

I know that mask says 'Wee skitter' i.e brat, but I can't help but see it as Wee Skunner.
Also laughing at Ketamine Keith but that's nothing new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

i suggest you leave the climatology to the climatologists.

You do know what the current discourse is with a significant number of climatologists, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDWhjSUu8UY

https://www.livescience.com/ghastly-future-global-crises.html

The view displayed in the media is a lot more happy clappy 'something can be done' than the actual academics, who in many cases now see societal collapse due to overshoot as a historical inevitability. Especially marine biologists, they're depressed as hell.

Anyway, any word from Gibbo yet?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

They are changing the way they run things, though. Slowly, and of course with the aim of preserving the systems that give them their power as much as possible. But climate change and its mitigation are accepted, conventional and mainstream concerns in a way they certainly were not ten or twenty years ago. Even the oil companies pay lip service to going green these days. A lot of the actual action is still greenwashing, corruption, and useless gesturing, but not all of it. That change in consensus is down to decades of pressure from groups of ordinary people. Now, when the effects of climate change are becoming undeniably obvious, is hardly the time to give up.

Yes, people have noticed that this rollercoaster is getting rather high now and are paying lip service to 'maybe we should mitigate this by going net zero by 2050'. The point is that we're already high in the air and we've got to come down somehow. Given human nature and *waves generally at all of history* I don't see that being a nice gentle descent.

It just irritates me when people write off an acknowledgement of the actual material conditions as 'doomerism' or fatalism. When we say it's too late, we mean that for a comfortable resolution mitigation strategies needed to be put in place back in 1991, if not the 1970s. It's not like this is unprecedented, we see exactly the same boom and bust cycle in every aspect of nature. See: St. Matthew's Island reindeer population. We as humans just have the unmitigated gall to think we're unique and clever enough as a species to avoid it late in the day. I'm going to post this again because it's by far the best sociological analysis of the overshoot I've come across: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDWhjSUu8UY

Barry, as unhelpful as it's going to be to say this the solution is truly to let the knowledge wash over you and enjoy life in an existentialist way. I know that's not possible for a lot of people, and as such I apologise for bringing this into the thread. I normally try not to.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Yes, that one of my three examples of current academic thought is a bit woo woo gaia. The first is a from an ecological economist who explains the whole conceptual lens problem quite succinctly, and the third is a more standard 'things keep getting worse but if people start paying attention and listening something can still be done!' article.

In all three the point remains the same though. We have fundamentally taken advantage of an energy source that has taken millions of years to accumulate, and burnt through half of it in the last 30 years. There is no replacement. A much more detailed examination of why, in my opinion at least, 'redirecting the world economy' at this stage is far too little and too late can be had from the Geological Survey of Finland: https://tupa.gtk.fi/raportti/arkisto/42_2021.pdf

quote:

Current expectations are that global industrial businesses will replace a complex industrial energy ecosystem that took more than a century to build. The current system was built with the support of the highest calorifically dense source of energy the world has ever known (oil), in cheap abundant quantities, with easily available credit, and seemingly unlimited mineral resources. The replacement needs to be done at a time when there is comparatively very expensive energy, a fragile finance system saturated in debt, not enough minerals, and an unprecedented world population, embedded in a deteriorating natural environment. Most challenging of all, this has to be done within a few decades. It is the author’s opinion, based on the new calculations presented here, that this will likely not go fully to as planned.

In conclusion, this report suggests that replacing the existing fossil fuel powered system (oil, gas, and coal), using renewable technologies, such as solar panels or wind turbines, will not be possible for the entire global human population. There is simply just not enough time, nor resources to do this by the current target set by the World’s most influential nations. What may be required, therefore, is a significant reduction of societal demand for all resources, of all kinds. This implies a very different social contract and a radically different system of governance to what is in place today. Inevitably, this leads to the conclusion that the existing renewable energy sectors and the EV technology systems are merely steppingstones to something else, rather than the final solution. It is recommended that some thought be given to this and what that something else might be.

Back to what I was originally responding to, which is the idea that market forces and the current political structure can limit us to 1.5 degrees warming and people should 'leave the climatology to the climatologists'. A lot of those climatologists are far more fatalistic than might be acknowledged in polite society. In the UK marxism thread I think we can make the argument that the fundamental problem isn't *really* climate change, it's a political ideology of Don't Rock the Boat backed up by neoliberal capitalism that prevents us from improving things somewhat. Thus far, nobody has come up with a solution for that - can't make a man understand something when his salary depends on him not understanding it etc.

Ten years ago I wouldn't have thought about this stuff at all and blithely carried on with an I'm alright jack life. After becoming far more involved in left wing thought and having experienced the last few years, I now have trouble seeing it from any other viewpoint.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 22, 2021

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One of my friend's father is a retired fireman. He said the person you didn't want to be out with fighting a fire was an optimist. You want pessimists who can imagine everything that might go wrong so you can mentally prepare yourself to deal with the unexpected.

This is the crux of it honestly. I've always approached life in a slightly pessimistic way because, as they say, a pessimist is rarely disappointed and often pleasantly surprised. As such I've run into no end of people of the 'cheer up it may never happen' bent that would rather blithely ignore a potential problem than do a modicum of planning for it. People like radmonger who can look at the Finland report and come to the conclusion that it's optimistic, when the understated sarcastic bottom line is actually:

quote:

The mass of lithium ion batteries required to power the 1.39 billion EV’s proposed in Scenario F would be 282.6 million tonnes. Preliminary calculations show that global reserves, let alone global production, may not be enough to resource the quantity of batteries required. In theory, there are enough global reserves of nickel and lithium if they were exclusively used just to produce li-Ion batteries for vehicles. To make just one battery for each vehicle in the global transport fleet (excluding Class 8 HCV trucks), it would require 48.2% of 2018 global nickel reserves, and 43.8% of global lithium reserves. There is also not enough cobalt in current reserves to meet this demand and more will need to be discovered. Each of the 1.39 billion lithium ion batteries could only have a useful working life of 8 to 10 years. So, 8-10 years after manufacture, new replacement batteries will be required, from either a mined mineral source, or a recycled metal source. This is unlikely to be practical, which suggests the whole EV battery solution may need to be re-thought and a new solution is developed that is not so mineral intensive.

We just need a magical new battery tech that's just around the corner and it'll all be fine!

There's a reason that hope was in the same jar that Pandora released all the other evils of mankind from. I acknowledge that for a lot of people it's a valid coping mechanism, but it sure gums up the works with wishful thinking sometimes. It also irritates me how often people characterise an acknowledgement of the situation as 'sitting impotent and miserable' when it's quite possibly to fling your entire effort into a cause you feel is lost simply because it's the right thing to do.

To bring it back vaguely on topic, it's like acknowledging that labour is hosed as a productive force for good and that we need other solutions. I'd like to think that over the past year the thread perspective has shifted from 'stay in and maybe we can make things better' to 'we need to build something else'.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

zhar posted:

That’s fair. Still think a person motivated to work on something they think can be pulled off will be a lot happier than someone with the same work thinking it’s sure to fail but it’s the right thing to do. More likely to find solutions too I would imagine. But this could well be me projecting myself onto those roles and people are different, I guess as long as you do your best either way you can be satisfied however it goes!

I'm not trying to be an arsehole here, just genuine curiosity. Have you worked on large scale projects or at the management level of infrastructure migrations in the past? My experience is that the people who tend to drive them in a productive manner are those who can acknowledge the madness of bureaucracy and systemic failures. That group of civil servants who are exasperated by attempting to herd cats and the failures they can't control, or the backend developers who are down the pub bitching constantly but put in the best work they can because of professionalism. There's often a thin line to ride to prevent burnout, but that's why it's important to be able to dissociate and switch off.

Again, not everyone is built for that. People may or may not even be able to get into that mindset at different points in their life. However someone doing a dismissive drive-by of 'have you considered that you are depressed' isn't helpful. For reference, I get a surprising amount of validation from doing strong man type weightlifting. Nothing quite like having a dozen people cheer you on for a simple feat of strength rather than dealing with a complex, multifaceted problem. Or the old existentialist standard of walking through the woods looking at pretty flowers.

(Fair notice, I started this post 4 hours ago then got distracted)

Uhh, Demelza it depends exactly what you want to prepare for. Can you get a multi thousand pound LiPo battery and solar array setup? Sure. If you want something a little more lightweight but still expensive, you can get a 500W portable power station and solar panel for about £700 (see: Jackery https://www.hampshiregenerators.co....2xoCqnwQAvD_BwE). Even cheaper, a £40 chinese solar power bank jobby.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Answers Me posted:

Anyone got any recommended reads/listens for a decent left critique of the looming supply chain/food shortage, infrastructure collapse etc crisis? Obviously it’s getting referenced a lot, but I haven’t really seen something that gets deep into the hows and whys. tia

This is going to be a bit scattershot, not necessarily lefty and probably not answer your questions. But here's some interesting reads I've run across in the past couple of months.
On food, I don't have anything explicit offhand. Someone like Michael Pollan might be a good start, he's a bit woo woo at times but has talked before about how every calorie of modern food requires ten calories of fossil fuel input. Generally, the whole 'green revolution' thing in the 60s saved billions from starvation by switching us over to industrial scale farming using the Haber Bosch process. Consider in the context of oil running out, before we even get to things like soil depletion, the massive decrease in biodiversity and effects of the overuse of industrial pesticides.

Not related to the above question, but as a more general source of actual leftist thought I'd recommend Red Pepper. It's one of the few left-wing British publications https://www.redpepper.org.uk/

Seeing as we're discussing working from home in the thread, it's also well worth revisiting Bullshit Jobs and considering just how much of the modern economy is just box ticking and makework. Graeber in general was an excellent author, taken from us too soon.

Oh, and apropos of nothing the reason I'm highly sceptical whenever someone brings up the concept of new technology saving us all.

E: What the hell have this too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZgoFyuHC8

RockyB fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 25, 2021

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Worth pointing out here that yes, this:

is the letter of the law if you want to be entirely above board.

However, if you don't pay the law is almost completely unenforceable in practice if you make things even remotely difficult for them.

Afaict the whole detector van thing is garbage smoke and mirrors. I read something about them being able to pick up emissions from old CRT TVs, which I'm still sceptical about but in any case who cares, no-one uses CRTs in 2021.

So really what I think we're dealing with is a big database with a list of unlicensed properties, and almost certainly a quite overstretched department working enforcement. They periodically send scary looking letters to these addresses - sometimes even threatening a physical visit - but in all my life they've never followed through on that. I've heard maybe single digit stories of friends of friends who've had a visit, but it looks like 99.9% of the time the letters are the worst thing that happens and they can safely be ignored, or you can even send a declaration back that the property doesn't need a license. I've done this a few times and the letters stopped, but again nobody ever turned up to verify anything.

If this fails, and someone does actually turn up at your door, you have zero legal obligation to let them inside. I have heard horror stories about them claiming otherwise, especially where the person answering the door seems unsure and not confident or otherwise vulnerable, but you are well within your rights to laugh in their face and tell them to come back with a court order. Really, it's not worth it for them to pursue it that far, and if they did they'd still have to prove you were watching TV illegally. I'm not sure having a laptop that could theoretically receive iPlayer would stand up particularly well in court for them, but who knows. The odds of it getting this far are so tiny they're barely worth thinking about.

Everything about TV licensing feels like it's been constructed to appear as scary as possible, what with all the 'WE'RE WATCHING YOU' Big Brother aesthetic, but honestly it just screams overcompensation to me. For all they want you to believe they're this big, all-seeing organisation, they're actually just a few old guys in a government office with probably a few hundred (if that) enforcement officers across the country, none of whom have any more legal power than traffic wardens. The whole thing's an illusion, imho.

e: i'm definitely getting a visit next week aren't I, lmao

There's still something like 200,000 people a year getting prosecuted for not paying. Be careful with this advice if you're not legitimately BBC free (which you should be tbh, it's utter trash).

Turns out outsourcing to Capgemini 'works' when they target women and the vulnerable, who knew.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-8101/CBP-8101.pdf
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/sep/24/in-court-non-payment-tv-licence-television-desperate-cases
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/tv-licence-fee-women-convictions-b1763192.html

E: 108 degrees Fahrenheit is the internal temperature at which the human body's vital organs begin to fail from overheating. It's also the emergency phone number in India.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Cefte posted:

Clearly a second-rate amateur historian - he could have gone for the Bronze Age Collapse, with added headlines about SEA PEOPLES.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I guess this is as good a time as any to highlight the absolutely excellent Fall of Civilizations podcast, especially the episode on Roman Britain:

Finally started listening to this the other day. Came across the whole 'Sea peoples were actually climate refugees' theory and drat that hit me surprisingly hard.

https://journals.indexcopernicus.com/api/file/viewByFileId/906340.pdf

E: As we're talking about this again, here's the 50 year update on Limits to Growth from KPMG saying 'Yeah that was pretty accurate': https://advisory.kpmg.us/articles/2021/limits-to-growth.html

RockyB fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 1, 2021