Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Angrymog posted:

Woodlouse chat - how do you dispose of extra woodlice given they're not a native species so can't just be released?

You’re “supposed” to freeze them but I avoid that by moving them to larger and larger enclosures, and giving them away. You can control breeding in some species by keeping them a bit drier/cooler than they should be.

Guavanaut posted:

You can graft tomatoes to the above ground bits too, to make topatoes.

Given how poisonous potato fruits are this has always struck me as a remarkably bad idea. For “incomprehensible questions in science class” I submit Rebecca Gibson, who in a-level biology demanded to know how can a penguin breathe water, if it’s not a reptile like she said?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I’m wondering if I should revisit a previous discussion with my painfully-centrist sister - she was absolutely furious when I told her to stop teaching my daughter that “you can always trust the police.”

Angrymog posted:

Let me sort out a jar for them and I'll take some of the black and red spotty ones of your hands.

Drop me a line when you’re ready. Lots of advice online. Don’t pay for anything you can gather in a wood yourself.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Need some advice on a bit of a moral dilemma. Friends have been a bit “well, gently caress ‘em” and I’m hoping the thread has a more balanced view. This reads as a bit of a humblebrag so please start any replies by saying how great I am, then probably come back to it at the end and say it again.

The Dilemma

We live in a pretty poor area. Every year my wife and I coordinate with a couple of local schools (generally different each year) to make sure that kids that would have literally gently caress all on Christmas Day have got a couple of presents to open, some decent grub, whatever. The only ‘rules’ we impose are in asking the school to help identify kids who need it, and for the school to work with the parents so any gifts come from them not the school or us randos.

Last year one of the schools wrote to say thanks and they were going to buy a book for every kid in the school. I went back and said books are great, and sharing equally is great, but if you remember our conversation that’s not quite what we were going for. The head seemed to understand but then shortly after Christmas I found out the school did use the donation to buy all the kids a book, as a gift from the school, and linked it back to good behaviour at some event they’d held earlier in the year.

Now the same school have reached out and asked if we’d like to make a Christmas donation again. Don’t wanna! Loads of other schools in the area who’d be happy for such a donation. But (1) when you donate money, it’s not yours any more, and you shouldn’t put limits on what the recipient does with it, and (2) the piss-poor kids I see walking past my window in the morning will still at least be getting something.

Any advice please?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts. I’ve had a couple of suggestions to see if we can do it through the local food banks so I might try that. I’ll ignore the fact that two villages with a combined population under 3,000 need a food bank each.

The reason I’ve gone through the schools previously is they generally just know when families need some support. For comparison, last year the school in the next village over divvied it up between six families and privately invited the parents in one by one to order a load of poo poo from Amazon, one of the teachers volunteered to do it with them. A guy I know who’s wife died of covid and is permanently flat broke beamed as he told me and various dads how he managed to “sort out” a scooter for his lad for Xmas (as said lad zoomed round and round us on said scooter) and I think that was probably part of it.

At the school I went to, in a village a few miles away, the head called me and said they had a family where mum is working two jobs, dad is disabled, two kids and they’d had to take in three non-sibling cousins following multiple deaths in the family. The head (unnecessarily) asked permission to give them almost the full amount and again, worked with the mum to order everything from turkey to tree, presents, decorations, even a small chest freezer to keep everything in and a trip out to see Santa at some local event thing.

In both cases the schools told the parents they had access to a local charity fund, and left it at that. None of the kids or other parents knew anything about it, and all the gifts were from the parents (or Santa) to the kids and that’s as far as anyone needed to know. I hope that clarifies why I was a bit aggreived with the “everyone gets a book” thing. I am somewhat specific in what I donate for, but the schools are always welcome to decline and I make that clear when I write to them. No-one has ever declined and generally the head or a deputy facilitate it and enjoy doing so. It breaks my loving heart to think of a kid with literally nothing to play with on Christmas Day, just a single box of Playmobil or something can make all the difference and “everyone got a book in assembly on December 15th” just doesn’t cut it. I’ve also just realised this is the only time ever someone has come back to us and said “more please”!

Sanford fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 27, 2021

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

fuctifino posted:

It might be worth looking around to see if there's some sort of independent charity or group in your area. In my town, there's a community cafe that is run by an amazing local person, and there's a lot of charitable help that filters through her cafe. I'm pretty certain that amazing people like her exist in every town and city in the UK.

You know what we’ve done this for half a decade with schools all over the area and I’m letting one bad experience spoil it for us. It was a bit more money last year (redundo bucks to spare) but we just need to stick with how we’ve always done it. I think I can live with myself if I “ghost” a school; it’s Halloween so it’s appropriate…

Edit: QUEEN DEAD YES/NO has just become the decider for who’s buying the beer on New Year’s Eve. Philip let me down last year so I’ve taken ALIVE. If she dies while we’re out the loser has to reimburse the winner.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 27, 2021