Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'd quite like it if regular small tornadoes were part of the English weather system. (The fun type, not the dangerous type.)

Like, you're out on the local high street and suddenly a tornado materialises and moves down the street and everyone cringes back into the shop doorways and stuff and a couple of awnings get ripped from the store fronts and are dramatically flung hundreds of feet in the air and then the tornado dissipates as quickly as it began and everyone stands around for a bit brushing rainwater off themselves and going: "Ooh, did you see that, came straight out of nowhere, didn't it!" and then everyone goes back to getting on with their day again.

It'd be cosy :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Almond milk goes back to the middle ages, and they called it almond milk.

Yeah, the problem with unpasteurised, unrefridgerated milk is that it tends to go off pretty drat quickly; almond milk was a kind of medieval long-life substitute.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The Tories are totally going to rebrand themselves as the party of ordinary working people, right as Starmers running around telling everyone that Labour are now the party of big business. Just running rings around him lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
"Why oh why can't the stupid voters see just how electable Starmer is??"

My column in the Guardian.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Eh, after 18 months of it, everyone's completely sick of hearing about Covid and thinking about Covid and just want to get on with their lives. I think I'm like a lot of people: I'm double vaccinated and while I still test myself weekly and wouldn't knowingly spread it around if I was positive, I don't think about Covid much any more beyond that. It's not like me continually fretting over the case numbers helps anything.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ThomasPaine posted:

Public health measures are by definition judgement calls that, yes, have to balance 'acceptable' deaths against wider social impact. It's not fun but it's absolutely essential. That doesn't mean every individual death isn't a tragedy, but if you follow your argument to its conclusion none of us leave the house ever again because absolutely everything we do has the potential to harm or kill someone else in the long-run. Short term draconian measures are sometimes acceptable, and I think in the context of covid they were, but maintaining them indefinitely is just completely unfeasible and, arguably, ethically wrong.

You seem to think this means I'm anti-mask, anti-isolation when sick etc, but that's not what I've said. What I'm frustrated at are they people arguing that we need to once again close everything, ban travel, etc etc, and do so potentially for years to come. Doing that would do far more harm to us as a society than not doing so would with the rates of vaccination that we have.

I agree with this tbh. I have to say, I've spoken to a wide variety of friends, family and work colleagues over the last months and while their perceptions of the continuing risk of Covid vary, there's not one (even the most cautiously-inclined) that want to see the return of any sort of national restrictions, except in the direst of emergencies. They, like me, now view Covid as one more risk among a multitude of risks, that should be acknowleged and reasonably mitigated for but not one that calls for continuing severe restrictions on their lives.

Fwiw, I think there's a valid case to make for making masks compulsory in enclosed spaces and on public transport again and probably the same for vaccine passports - I'd have no particular objections to either of those things.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

keep punching joe posted:

Anyway totally normal and cool that the right-wing want to get back into the colonisation game. Lucky for the rest of the world that our armed forces are a shambolic mess.

I think it was on Podcasting is Praxis where they pointed out that our armed forces have been privatised to the point where the entire military budget's going on massive rip-off contracts to price-gouging firms and they've barely got any ability to deploy overseas any more.

Which is honestly pretty funny.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mebh posted:

Well. I bought a ticket too.

I've bought TWO tickets :smug:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Does anyone know what's happening with Lloyd's Pharmacy? They seem to have gone completely to pieces recently, with gigantic queues and staff unable to complete basic tasks like locating and dispensing prescriptions. I've heard rumours of some new IT system that's gone into a disastrous meltdown. Does anyone know anything about this?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Whenever I get hold of a weapon in a dream, it's always either a gun that doesn't fire or a sword that turns out to be far too blunt and floppy to do any damage, both of which definitely don't reflect on any sort of subconscious anxieties that I absolutely don't have.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
In other news:

The Guardian posted:

Labour is spending significantly more of its cash on fighting its legal battles than on political campaigning, sources have told the Guardian, after lawyers for the party opened a new front in the party’s legal turmoil this week.
Party sources said last year campaigning was Labour’s fourth-highest spend, behind costs linked to legal cases.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/15/labour-spending-more-on-legal-battles-than-campaigning-sources

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

the sex ghost posted:

Loved doing my prevent training which boiled down to 'report everyone, for anything. Even if there's nothing, if you get a bad vibe just report it'

Lol, so it's really about making sure officials have their arses covered in the event of a disaster: "well, we did report him!"

It just means the actual serious stuff gets lost in a sea of white noise.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I just entered the wrong link on Financial Times and got this absolutely great error page:

It's been said before but the FT is the only uk paper worth reading: it's aimed at the actual capitalist class, so it's reporting is much more reality-based than any of the other newspapers which mostly do culture war nonsense, or the enormous category of 'interesting, but not important'.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

IllusionistTrixie posted:

Actually living rent free in their heads.

Also shows how loving pointless Starmer is, when its still "Corbynism"

If anyone suggests in the Guardian that Starmer is anything less than a wonderful return to Sensible Grown-upness, it generates a lot of very angry comments about how the state of the Labour party's entirely Corbyn's fault and Starmer (who has after all been leader for 18 months now) needs to be given a chance to clear up the mess.

I can understand the urge to hold on to the hope that people had that Starmer really did have a chance to turn things around but Christ, the level of cognitive dissonance it must take to scream that Corbyn supporters are the blinkered cultists...

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Kin posted:

So what's the sneaky negative reason for Southend becoming a city? With the overwhelming gushing praise for the guy that was murdered (which now comes off as insincere), it feels like an opportunistic thing for the government to do, which has my scepticism on high alert.

It's just an easy gesture with no particular drawbacks, so why not do it and make yourself look thoughtful and sympathetic?

The real opportunism is in all the shrieking about banning anonymity on social media: the consent-manufacturing machine's really whirring away over that one.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol that's loving brutal and accurate. He is only memorable as a bullshitting haircut slapped on to a pile of deli meat

Yeah, I was impressed: they all correctly identified that he's utterly unsuited to the role of party leader and just needs to make way for someone else. They weren't even mad at him, just slightly pitying lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
In the UK, I think the anti-mask thing is this psychological effect of being told by the government back in the summer that we've won against Covid and that all restrictions can be relaxed. It's something that people understandably badly want to believe, so when they see people continuing to mask up, first it reminds them that the pandemic isn't over, which annoys them and second, I think there's a kind of irrational resentment that people who still wear masks are somehow relishing the prospect of continued restrictions and are even quietly willing Covid back into existence so that this can happen.

I think it's this that fuels the interactions that some people have reported on here where they've been irritably told that Covid is "over" and there's no need for that mask they're wearing: it's more that the person saying it desperately wants Covid to be over and resents seeing signs that it isn't.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I like how prisoners have become this limitless supply of theoretical labour. Crops rotting in the fields? Prisoners! Hgv driver shortage? Prisoners! Can't wait for it to be the solution to the shortage of care home staff lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Thing is, there's not *that* many prisoners in the 1st place. It's just so dumb.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Is the long-established Boomer dream of relocating to the Spanish coast and leisurely drinking yourself to death while surrounded by other immigrants (sorry, ex-pats) finally dying??

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

the sex ghost posted:

Keir therefore has to do the opposite and write 700 page speeches and campaign slogans that use 2 sides of A4. Forensic stuff

Couple this with the absolutely bizarre tactic of announcing that your own party members are a bunch of dangerous looneys but you'll bravely go to war against them (can you imagine any other UK political party doing this??) and the sky's the limit for Labour's poll ratings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
People are unenthused that Labour would manage the nation's inevitable decline slightly more competently than the Conservatives would? Clearly they're all anti-semitic.