Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

All of that saying the quiet part quiet really isn't necessary anymore huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Give John McDonnell a katana

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gets real Gapesian for a bit towards the end there

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Not being able to use WhatsApp is actually really really annoying lol

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

IB and XR are so ops. Like i'm 99% sure which means nothing but you know. The only thing i'm not sure about is whether the people involved are in on it or if they're being manipulated, like all the stochastic terrorists that the FBI created so it could then arrest them.

About a month or so ago Cressidia Dick said something like 'the leaders of XR need to get their members under control' which, to me at least, seemed like a very telling statement

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Honestly I feel like one of the big takeaways from covid has been how much it has forced relatively privileged people in the west to acknowledge their own mortality, and scrambled their brains in the process.

Like, I get it, covid is scary. It can be a real bitch and yeah, it can kill you especially if you're old or otherwise vulnerable. But lockdown was always a public health measure designed to stop hospitals being overwhelmed. There was (is?) a lot of virus going around, and lots of people were always going to get sick as a result, but only a tiny minority died - numbers not really altogether worse than from other causes. It's poo poo but people die. But yeah, lockdown was necessary to stop the hospitals being overwhelmed, and I do understand the anxiety of the whole thing - I certainly felt it.

Anyway, what I'm getting to is that now we have a solid vaccine rollout and everyone who wants one has been offered one, but I know so many people who are still losing their minds about getting on buses or whatever. I genuinely don't get it! You've had a vaccine that reduces covid's likelihood of killing you from 'very unlikely' to 'almost zero'. And yet you're still refusing to leave the house you're so terrified of catching it? And you're getting mad at other people trying to get back to a semblance of normality? I just... if you've had the vaccine what more can you do? You're basically fine. It turns covid into a potentially unpleasant but basically harmless cold. I fundamentally do not understand why anyone is remotely worried anymore. Yes, it might still kill you if you're very unlucky. You can also just die from a thousand other things on a daily basis. You might get cancer or fall over or crash a car or whatever. But for some reason you obsess over covid and covid alone, and insist on this quasi-wartime attitude of stoic self-denial and permanent isolation until what, we have 0 cases globally, as if that's even possible. And all that for something that, assuming you're vaccinated, is less of a threat than slipping in the shower?

Idk, this just feels like a lot of people learning for the first time that you can just... die, and being completely unable to process the reality of that. Covid was what prompted that thought process, so covid will always be this terrifying existential thread. Maybe this attitude stems from the influence of a neoliberal ideology that holds the only important decision as one that directly affects you, the individual. They cannot recognise public health measures for the collective policies they are, and instead insist on perceiving them as there to protect them personally from this big bad evil, which persists now even as its actual threat dwindles.

I'm thinking out loud here I guess but it's interesting. Since having the vaccine I stopped giving a single poo poo about covid despite being technically considered vulnerable, and it's wild to me that there are people who still refuse to go to public spaces after nearly two years despite being at essentially no additional risk than they otherwise would be.

I don't think it's entirely irrational, bring fully vaxxed roughly halves your chances of getting long covid but for a healthy youngish adult that's roughly still about a 1 in 20 chance of getting long term organ damage, that's not really something you've ever really had to worry about with a regular cold or regular season flu. I've still made myself go out and do regular people things again but I'd be lying if I said that wasn't in the back of my mind when I'm in a crowded indoors setting

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If REFUK just an FBPE party?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Lot of chat about the euromillions at work today. Keep meaning to remember to win that

If one hypothetically did come into a hundred million quid what would be the best way to use it for the benefit of the most people? Part of me feels as though the most efficient way would be to have a WhatsApp number or something that's just 'text me whatever you need paying and I'll sort it no questions asked'. But then it's open to Mr snrub types so you'd need them to provide proof and then you're still holding your money over people's heads

Could you set up some sort of sex ghost foundation for good lads and lasses but since I'm very stupid and don't understand the investments required to keep the fund going I would require outside help and that would turn it into every other lovely charity that works to enrich itself

You could theoretically set up some sort of political action group but that feels a bit lib dem 'just vote!' for my tastes

Is the answer really just driving around Mario balotelli style and just handing out notes to people on the street

Bond villain island, nuke Britain

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

Just to be clear, 'special' is or was used by young folk as a particular kind of slur in this country as well, right?

Also where's 'peppercorn' from, like I get the use in the two times people used it above but what's the origin

Yes, special means 'special' here too

And its a peppercorn because peppercorns are very small, it's only intended as a symbolic demonstration of a financial relationship and not intended to be paid

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You know I don't think they're taking solace in that at all

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Climate change/biosphere collapse is my absolute, definitive, A No.1 trigger, and I've tried but I'm too depressed and anxious to be anything other than totally, 100% doomer about it. The last page alone is gonna gently caress me up for at least the next week or so.

I really wish that wasn't true and I feel guilty about feeling that way for the reasons Regarde mentions but I just don't feel like I can help it at the moment

I think about it this way: I have one life to live and there's a reasonable chance I'm not going to have the option of living it out to a natural end like previous generations, so I could fritter whatever time I have away being a posting addicted doomscrolling alcoholic or I could enjoy my life whilst I have it, no one's going to give you a medal for having willingly exposed yourself to so much climate science you developed clinical depression

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The real pro-gamer move would have been for the Tories to say they're doing an SL1 build for the North

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

idk maybe I've lived here too long but I'd be mildly amused if I went out with a friend and met someone with both our names

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'd be so happy to meet an irl Jojo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Never knew Madeley was a weeb

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dairy in baking is one of the main reasons I'll never be able to go full vegan, there's just no substitute that comes close imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Angrymog posted:

That and the cheese and chocolate.

sure let's just say 'dairy' overall, it's very good folks!