Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Someone in the government has played Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa and has faith in the Truck Nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

therattle posted:

Imperial units are illogical. Metric forever!

I don't have trouble with using an imperial unit. Like if you're 180 cm tall you could say you're 5.9 feet or 70 inches or 4.20 horsetails or whatever. Just don't tell me you're 5 feet 11 inches because now I have to make two mental conversions to metric instead of one. Same with recipes, using cups, ounces, spoons, table spoons, quarts, pints etc. all happily mixed together will lead into confusion and probably me putting a litre of vanilla into the cake instead of a millilitre.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 2, 2021

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: Ironically I can't really get any more info because the people I know who'd actually know for certain I normally communicate with over Whatsapp. I know I could text them but it's not 1999 any more.

Something Awful was founded in 1999 :ironicat:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

That's just a standard mercenary company, older than written history. They have influence with ruling powers but mercenaries always did.

The Cyberpunk dystopia version is more about corporations with private armies essentially replacing the state, I'd say that's more analagous to Banana Republics, The United Fruit Company etc. but you could also say a country like modern Australia is a coal mining company with an army and a media/propaganda wing.

The closest analogy are historical trade companies like the East India trade company that really ran its own army. India wouldn't have become a British dominion if they hadn't started the entry. Nothing quite like that exists today, unless you count drug cartels as corporations. I'm sure the megabillionaires are working on it, though!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

At face this is incredibly upsetting, but then I remember that the Home Office officials probably have access to internal data on how the situation in UK is expected to develop and, uh, maybe moving to Afghanistan is a safer bet than staying in Brexitstan.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

In the event of my lottery win, I would be interested to know if there's a way to bulk buy avatars or if I'd have to sit there with loads of tabs lined up ready to go and if it would let me, or is it only able to do one every 30 second or something?

I think if you approached the admin they will find a way for you to mass purchase goatse av's for everyone. :)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

WhatEvil posted:

Seeing it reported on twitter that the killer is a Somali man.

Get ready for racism!

Maybe it will be further reported on twitter that the killer is a trans person and instead of racism it will just be a torrent of transphobia?

Not that you could tell.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

forkboy84 posted:

This is why American mods shouldn't touch UKMT. Obsessed with decorum in the dullest way possible.

It's fine to enjoy bad things happening to bad people who have dedicated their life to making the world a worse place. This is not the same as inciting people to do murders, which would be a stupid thing to do on a public forum.

It should be obvious that you should never wish murder or rape on anyone, or cheer at it. That's completely and utterly tasteless. If Farage died in a plane crash or a COVID denialist died of COVID then that's on them, but murder is a very serious, traumatizing crime.

The dude's dead already, why do you need to masturbate on it? Not saying that you can't be relieved that he's gone, we are all going to go one day and it's probably to the better that some would go sooner... but being glad that they were violently assassinated is not a good thing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Angrymog posted:

If they're not actively cultivated and just happen to be there, you're allowed to just take them, as long as it's not for commercial reasons.

In someone's front yard, though? Here that would be trespassing. Anywhere else anything goes though, including bringing a planeful of Thais to pick berries and mushies (and leaving them penniless if the summer turns bad for berries).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Not even animal poo?

My poo is animal poo.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Is the long-established Boomer dream of relocating to the Spanish coast and leisurely drinking yourself to death while surrounded by other immigrants (sorry, ex-pats) finally dying??

rn Brit communities in Costa del Sol look exactly like the fort in Mad Max 2, except everyone is old and wrinkly and overweight and so are the Marauders who are retirees from EU countries, driving around in golf carts.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

smellmycheese posted:

I briefly dated a girl who lived in Estepona on the Costa del Sol , and the number of expat Brits who live there amidst the egg and chip cafes who will quite straight faced tell you that they moved there because Britain is too full of bloody foreigners is quite remarkable

Is there a stat on how many of expats in Spain voted for Brexit?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

keep punching joe posted:

Literally named Mick Take.

Sir Michael (pronounce "My-cool") Take

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Ravel posted:

I think your license should cover equipment at the address by you or your guests. It doesn't cover devices or persons - you could conceivably go to your friend's house and watch media on own your phone at their address if they have a license.

e: this is slightly complicated because your license also covers you to use iPlayer when you're travelling - as long as you don't connect to the mains (lol).

Guavanaut posted:

As long as you don't do it while sat on their toilet, because rooms with a lock on the door are considered separate premises by TV licensing.

Do British tv license inspectors use the same rules as vampires? Just checking for my new horror novel...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Ah, the prequel to the best-selling How To Avoid Huge Shits

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

feedmegin posted:

You realise rationing isn't free food right? You still gotta buy it you're just restricted in what you can buy.

There's still* price controlling, otherwise the market would try to milk every last penny out of you because that's the only way to maximize profits and excuse me but it's not my fault if a single mom with five small kids can't afford any protein sources at these prices!

With price control you of course also get a very lucrative black market so the rich still get to live like kings. But at least there's a chance that the average working class can afford to live, somehow.

* as in there still should be, I have no doubt that Bojo would figure out a system that completely ignores everything learned from two world wars

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 26, 2021

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Flayer posted:

The Tories realising that we made a major mistake at the end of WW2 and stopped the Germans from being able to get properly aggro again. We had the French as dance partners for centuries and then we went and put the Germans on ice within 50 years and replaced them with the Russians. That was never going to bloody work was it, they are too far away.

Without someone to go to war with every now and then we're just going to slowly subside.

The real error was letting the empire wither away. It used to be so that you could send all the dim-witted aristocratic sons to fail in some heathen lands, not able to cause many scandals big enough to be heard of at home. Now though? Those same types make up the front bench of the parliament. I suppose getting shot by the Boche serves the same purpose, the difference is if white or brown people will suffer as collateral damage.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Wizard Master posted:

What are your blokes thoughts on the Queen withdrawing from the Glasgow climate summit due to health reasons

The short term goal is to limit her temperature rise to 1.5 C but the medium term goal is to lower the temperature by at least 20 degrees.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CGI Stardust posted:

the Queen has swallowed a particularly large child and she's taking a while to digest him fully

the Queen's bit a gam (and choked on it)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Miftan posted:

You think he planned it???

If playing the scene out in F.A.T.A.L. counts as planning, yes.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
It all depends on what you're growing. Things that are handpicked (veggies), you need cheap and accustomed workforce for it. Grain and cattle fodder you collect with huge tractors, likewise dairy and poultry doesn't need much workforce with all the modern doodats that have largely automated animal keeping.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mebh posted:

Normal country.

Price needs to be given in euros, weight is already metric which pound is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

feedmegin posted:

Could be mostly made out of sawdust and filler. You know, like actual WW2 rationing sausages.

Lumber prices are up so... :hmmyes: