Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

forkboy84 posted:

Having an opinion on the next James Bond should disqualify you from most facets of adult life, certainly from an involvement in politics.

Watch the movies, fine, it's big dumb action film nonsense. But next Bond is so banal and Brits seem to spend 1 20th of their life thinking about it

https://twitter.com/ActNormalOrElse/status/1443356654465134596?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You guys are running out of plants and animals too?

https://twitter.com/HelpingRhinos/status/1448162835486314500?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

But seriously, is anybody in Britain doing anything about the fact that you don't have any nature?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OwlFancier posted:

They added beavers to the fens apparently.

But no broadly this is not a large island and it has quite a lot of people living on it and virtually all the land is covered in farms of some description. The UK hasn't had much wild country for a long time, and has spent the last couple thousand years cutting it down, digging it up, pumping it out and paving it over.

Welp. I guess the country just sucks forever then?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Jollity Farm posted:

Chris Packham wants to let wolves loose on the royal estates.

(and a bunch of other animals, plus a lot more trees, obviously)

That article says that up to half of Britain could be rewilded.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OwlFancier posted:

Lots of things could happen but you will note that at absolutely no point did the royals actually say "this sounds like a good idea" and instead went with the entirely tangential "we have always loved conservation" in the face of complaints that they keep large monocultural habitats purely so they can put birds in them and then blow them to smithereens with shotguns every so often.

Sure, but you said that you guys can't have any nature because there's no space for it. According to that article, ecologists disagree.

The protesters started by begging the royal family, because they just need to convince one horrid old woman that rewilding some of her estate might distract from the fact that she actively works to protect pedophiles from punishment. But she owns less than 2% of the country, so that's 48% could be rewilded without the permission of the nonce loving bitty.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Brendan Rodgers posted:

This Vice article - yeah I know I know - but it's good, it's a very short story about humans trying to fix climate change. It goes in reverse.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xwvgeq/an-incomplete-timeline-of-what-we-tried

quote:

The famous fossil fuel CEO is kidnapped, his back branded with the slogan “citizen of the world.”

That sucks so much.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Brexshit - the gift that keeps on giving.

Comment on Reddit: Haven't you heard ? "Soylent Teen"...... "it's an aquired taste."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hundreds-schools-told-stockpile-food-25165227

They predict that by the end of November, schools could have no other option but to serve meals like this

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It doesnt.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tesseraction posted:

Bit of a slippery slope to upgrade towns to cities just because the local MP gets merked aye?

What's the difference between a town and a city?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Guavanaut posted:

Intranasal cocaine was found to be a good palliative for arthritis and to not cause addiction when it was prescribed as called something other than cocaine, so I kinda see it.

This feels like it should be a commercial for something.

You're supposed to use a mesh bag. mushrooms shed a lot of spores when they're cut and if you use a plastic bag they have nowhere to go

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MPs are proposing making cigarettes much cooler

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1450702943343325188?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

goddamnedtwisto posted:

but if any of those things go away for more than a week[1] then they're never, ever coming back and the sort of preparations you make for that are altogether darker.

Mind you I do have a plan for that too - it mostly involves making sure I get decent birthday and Christmas presents for my sister and her husband, with their lovely semi-rural house with it's garage full of motorbikes and well-concealed cabinet containing his multiple (fully licensed, officer!) shotguns.

I just wanna say, this is very wrong. If the power goes out in Britain for a week because of shortages or incompetence or whatever, it'll still come back. probably not reliably, but still. There's plenty of examples from the 21st century of places where the electrical grid is unreliable and people only have power for a few hours a day. And guess what, people still went to work. People still had to pay their bills.

I joke that Brexit was Britain voting to do post-war Iraqi reconstruction to themselves, and you might want to look into post-war Iraq to see how much disruption of infrastructure a country can go through and keep going without becoming Mad Max.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So your saying head to the airports and hope to be airlifted out in about 20 years?

Iraq and Afghanistan are different countries.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Those are just the big effects I can come up with off the top of my head - I'm sure that every other sector of the economy will have similar problems. Without massive international aid a *shitload* of people are going to die, none of them pleasantly, in those 7 days and in the months afterwards.

Yeah, it would suck. You'd still have to pay rent. You still shouldn't shoot people.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

therattle posted:

We’re importing 30,000 tons of sludge from the Netherlands to use as manure. It contains human waste. Using it as manure is illegal in the EU.

The EU is literally making GBS threads on England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hey so is the queen actually dead?