Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bondchat: I’m not going to see the new one because it’s nearly 3 hours long and time is precious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is because apparently, for various complicated reasons mostly to do with BAOR not wanting to deal with multiple classes of driver, German driving licenses over a certain age legally count as C1 (LGV) in the UK - but that wouldn't entitle you to drive a tanker lorry or any kind of HGV, just cut out a couple of bits of the testing regime.

I thought it was because all Germans had spent hours playing truck sims

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

And way to read the mood of the nation

https://twitter.com/politicsforali/status/1443945043623034883?s=21

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I cook rice in a pan on the stove

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I only have finite storage space in my kitchen don’t eat rice enough to justify ousting my electric pizza oven.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

kingturnip posted:

I doubt there are 3 Labour MPs who have the winning combination of:
A) charismatic enough that they'd maintain a winning vote-share even after crossing the floor; and
B) actually likely to join the Tories.

Remember that the last time Labour MPs jumped ship, they all lost pretty spectacularly when they next had to contest a seat.

This is probably a Mandelson leak, to lower expectations so that when no-one leaves and polling numbers dip another 5-6 points, it will be a success that Keith's held the party together as opposed to a moribund leader dragging the party with him as he falls off a cliff.

Yeah but this assumes MPs are rational and conscious of their own shortcomings, whereas everything since social media became a thing would suggest otherwise

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/eleanormia/status/1444971362481750019?s=21

What

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also someone at Facebook is getting sacked because it looks like they've just crashed their entire network - routes to it keep appearing and disappearing at random and it's causing big enough issues that some internet exchanges have blackholed them altoghether.

Yeah, WhatsApp has been dead for the last 30 minutes too

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

Anyway, what I'm getting to is that now we have a solid vaccine rollout and everyone who wants one has been offered one, but I know so many people who are still losing their minds about getting on buses or whatever. I genuinely don't get it! You've had a vaccine that reduces covid's likelihood of killing you from 'very unlikely' to 'almost zero'. And yet you're still refusing to leave the house you're so terrified of catching it? And you're getting mad at other people trying to get back to a semblance of normality? I just... if you've had the vaccine what more can you do? You're basically fine. It turns covid into a potentially unpleasant but basically harmless cold. I fundamentally do not understand why anyone is remotely worried anymore. Yes, it might still kill you if you're very unlucky. You can also just die from a thousand other things on a daily basis. You might get cancer or fall over or crash a car or whatever. But for some reason you obsess over covid and covid alone, and insist on this quasi-wartime attitude of stoic self-denial and permanent isolation until what, we have 0 cases globally, as if that's even possible. And all that for something that, assuming you're vaccinated, is less of a threat than slipping in the shower?

People are not rational actors, I’m absolutely not surprised that after the first few months of the pandemic where little was known about transmissibility of COVID and people were terrified of even leaving the house some are unable to just leave that behind. Knowing on an intellectual level how much safer it is now isn’t enough for everyone

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Tsietisin posted:

I think this is happening even earlier as parents are using these items to get a break from parenting. Having the tablet entertain the child instead of them.

Personally, if my son wants to play, then I'm helping him build that block tower, or making the wooden train route. I may be shattered, but I believe it will be better for him in the long run.

Im sure there’s a lot of instances of parent not wanting to just leave their kids to their own devices but being forced too by schools being closed but still being expected to work

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

If I win hundreds of millions I’d set up a fund to just give money to homeless people. We all know that giving them money does a lot more to help than any other measure and is probably cheaper to boot, I could probably end homelessness in Leeds and provide a concrete example of what could be done if the government committed funds to it

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I just don't believe this Special K thing. I think he made that up for some reason to make himself sound more interesting.

Funny thing is I doubted for a moment that Special K had actually been on the market when he was born and I looked it up and it was launched only a couple of years before he was born. Which sadly makes it more plausible that he was telling the truth tbh, that it was still a ‘new’ thing so yeah maybe his parents did that

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I’m sure being wealthy can’t make you happy but it surely can remove the two biggest sources of unhappiness, money insecurity and the need to endlessly work to live

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

Are these people…real? What's with the obsession with the French? It's so weird.

To be fair, the French are just about as awful as the English

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

feedmegin posted:

When, to add, the proper ingredients are actually readily available.

You can’t grow avocado in this country though, you’d have to fly it half way around the world. Like, the point of using local produce is for that reason, and to support local economies, both of which are good things.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

This is some real low-quality trolling, it's barely even coherent

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

In lighter news

https://twitter.com/politicsforali/status/1449314301014155268?s=21

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/dpjhodges/status/154137108129390593?s=21

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

Talking of people who need to be abused verbally

https://twitter.com/JoeBillGibbo/status/1449982385408331776?t=pnamnM8zqAM3ZhUq0XKAKA&s=19

The most British of perversions. Not just counting the chips you get at the chain pun, taking a measuring tape with you to work out the average length

Surely the best measure of amount of chips would be to bring digital scales and weigh them

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

Okay. The idea that Dennis Hutchings was "silenced" before he could name names might be an attractive conspiracy theory.

But he was a man in his 80s in poor health (he was receiving dialysis.) So he wasn't going to do well against Covid.

Also he was seen not social distancing, taking photos with members of the public and shaking hands with well-wishers*.

https://twitter.com/Jill4life3/status/1450248460561694724?t=4rCMx58UI4Z3SmkehjgZrQ&s=19

That probably was the root cause of his death, but maybe I have been taken in by the conspiracy.

* = Yeah no end of people who were saying "he was one of our brave boys. Put on trail just to appease Republicans and all for doing his job and protecting people."

If it turned out that an asymptomatic Johnny Mercer passed COVID to him I would probably laugh until I died

Noxville fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 19, 2021

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Is that something that approaches johnny mercer but never actually achieves him?

Oops guess my autocorrect has sent us off on a tangent

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

peanut- posted:

Criminal penalties for social media bosses if they host extremist content is an intriguing idea, on the basis that the one thing that might actually harm the Tories polling is YouTube being withdrawn from the UK.

If we can use the same laws to force ISPs to stop serving the Mail Online then I’m all for it

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Beyond parody

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1451088753339076613?s=21

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

radmonger posted:

I don’t know if it is what he meant; he is after all an idiot. But there is a reading of his words that does makes sense.

Corbyn wasn’t really destroyed by ‘the media’, by any particular price of reporting, biased or not. He was destroyed by senior Labour politicians writing articles in the media saying he was dangerous, incompetent and/or racist.

If that is the expressed opinion of those politicians, you really can’t expect the media not to report it. You have to either arrange things so that either that is not their opinion, or that they are not senior MPs.

You can get away with a few backbenchers, or any number of ex-MPs. But being serious about winning means that everyone involved must consider winning a desirable goal.

What about the news media systematically misrepresenting every single thing he did or which happened in Labour during his time as leader

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Yeah this is something I’ve log thought, that liberals hate leftists so much because leftists actually believe the things that liberals only profess to and it makes them feel bad in ways they simply can’t admit to

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

The climate is hosed, and we can acknowledge that it's hosed, but that's not a reason to say "Well guess we can just keep on going as before, it doesn't make a difference anyway." There are still degrees of hosed that we can choose between and the worst case scenario is considerably worse than the best case still possible. Hopeless doomerism is pointless, there is still plenty of meaningful work to do.

It’s not that people have given up on being able to theoretically mitigate some outcomes, it’s that we all know there’s not a loving thing going to change the way the cunts who run things run things

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

That’s a spot-on decision, doubtful I’ll actually watch it but still.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

josh04 posted:

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1453368388126797827

Okay Labour definitely hired the person who made all those poo poo meme graphics for the Tories in 2019, where we were speculating it was deliberate to get people to share them.

Problem so they’re not comically bad enough for many people to share and laugh at, they’re just bad.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/charlesarthur/status/1453708846455824388?s=21

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

fuctifino posted:

I don't think words on paper matter anymore. My guess is that they are conditioning the gammon into accepting sanctions for breaking the NI protocol among other Brexit conditions, and labelling it up as though it is us who are in control or something.

"We chose this"
"YOU VOTED FOR THIS"
"THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED"

"TRIGGER THE ARTICLE 16!"

e: loving lol

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1453763529513869314

The same rumour goes around here too (Bradford) so I guess it makes sense that it makes it as far as Keighley too. No clue if there's any truth whatsoever to it but I know Bradford does have a lot of drug use, and random fireworks at all times of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I wasn’t aware that everyone’s favourite columnist was in fact an award-winning author

https://twitter.com/dunntweetin/status/1454368097410985986?s=21