Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Since we're on the subject of international nonce of mystery Jame Bonds and I don't think it's listed in the OP (since it's not strictly speaking a politics pod), Kill James Bond is a podcast run by Abi of Philosophy Tube, Alice of Trashfuture and Devon of Various, where they recap the bond films from a leftist perspective.

https://twitter.com/KillJamesBond/status/1431608603140632582?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

What the everloving gently caress even is a lib dem?
A misearable pile of squirrels.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

my name is Brit,
and on and on,
there is no fud
the fule is gon,
but wen our land
haf gon to fuk -
i brake the law
i nick the truk.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dabir posted:

Scots are, of course, a better breed of person, that right?
I'm English and yes.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I remember years ago going into a kitchenware store and asking the old Asian woman who works there* if she sold rice strainers (I know they exist because I had one my ex housemate nicked - a metal collander with more holes than usual, but tiny).

She just looked at me with absolute bafflement and said "why not just add the right amount of water?"

* I didn't ask her because she was Asian, it was the nearest shop and she was the only one working there.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lady Demelza posted:

I also missed the news about the toe shooting. That's what we get for not fully exploring the SA forums. Now that it's registered users only, I'm looking forward to welcoming new posters NotACop1488 and FriendOfAntifa and their insightful discussions on the political and legal systems.
If nothing else it means KF are going to have to start paying to register lurker accounts, somehow resist the urge to post and get the account banned, and they are absolutely not going to be able to resist that at all, so it'll be a nice revenue stream at least.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Endjinneer posted:

The radio was saying it's because their meat products become too large to meet supermarkets' requirements, so become unable to sell. If you're the kind of person that will buy a half pig then you'll be quids in this year.

https://twitter.com/Go_SYH_In_A_Pig/status/1444696507391909899

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lady Demelza posted:

Does the age of the animal matter? I'm veggie and not really up on different cuts of meat, but if sheep need to be killed at certain age to qualify as lamb, then does pork change textue or flavour if it's older?
My suspicion is that its a just-in-time supply chain issue - they are constantly breeding and birthing pigs and only have a certain capacity to look after them, so the pigs of a certain age have to 'leave' one way or another.

The thing that's amazing is that they're framing it as being sad the animals have to be killed, when if this os right they were heading to be killed anyway. They just aren't going to be food afterwards because we outsourced all of the processing to europe and there's no capacity to do it hygenically here.

Absolutely the most efficient system etc.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Hi just checking my BVI bank account which I have in no way acquired to proactively avoid property taxes. It just felt handier than like a NatWest account or whatever
He's often headed past it on his way to certain uncharted islands, it's really quite convenient!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

therattle posted:

Sundae Bloody Sundae
God drat

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

keep punching joe posted:

Wait Nicola Sturgeon is almost more popular UK wide than the leaders of Labour and the Liberals combined?
People in England know gently caress all about scotpol and she comes across well / anti tory in debates whenever she's allowed on telly. I suspect it's a case of her flaws not being well advertised except during elections when the Sun starts screaming about a LAB/SNP coalition, and in the past they've always brought up Alex Salmond when doing that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

There was (is?) a lot of virus going around, and lots of people were always going to get sick as a result, but only a tiny minority died - numbers not really altogether worse than from other causes.

[...]

You've had a vaccine that reduces covid's likelihood of killing you from 'very unlikely' to 'almost zero'.
Throughout this entire pandemic your posting has been loving unbearable, and this is a perfect example of why. The first statement is absolutely stunning in its tone deafness to a thread which has several posters who've lost loved ones or have loved ones who are still at risk of long-term damage even post vaccination. It's in denial about the scale of the deaths not just in this country, but worldwide. But more than that, it's loving heartless, and yet again you're showing that you're fine with people dying so you can go back to the pub.

Mostly though it's handwaving away the question of whether any deaths are acceptable vs taking basic precautions to limit the spread of the disease to vulnerable people. If you want to compare this to the flu then fine - we should also be trying to limit the spread of the flu because people die of that as well, and if people took basic precautions like wearing a mask when sick or self isolating, a few more people might have grandmas a little longer.

The second statement is just as bad because yeah, it's probably reduced your risk to zero, but for a substatial amount of vulnerable people it's reduced them from certain death to exacerbating existing conditions and long-term complications. We both know that death is not the only outcome of covid and surviving it is not always a barrel of laughs. I shouldn't have to point out why it's normal to be worried about catching the loving coronavirus.

Worst of all, you're using it to justify taking a cheap pop at people who are being forced to take public transport full of maskless dickheads to get to their jobs, and are worried about their health, their loved ones health, or even just having an extra sickness absence on their record.

Last time this came up you got defensive about people accusing you of ignoring basic medical and statistical data because you wanted to be able to go back out again. But you seem absolutely fine with taking a cheap pop at people wanting to keep up even basic safety measures for a little longer, or being reluctant to step onto cramped public transport with unmasked infection vectors.

You're framing this like it's a choice for people, but vulnerable people don't get to choose not to expose themselves to disease vectors. Shops are now full of proudly coughing freedom wankers. Universal Credit is hosed and people can't afford to not work. Even the few vulnerable people who can afford to stay home don't get to choose which minimum wage exhausted delivery driver turns up at their door.

The one thing you got right is that this is a public health issue, but when the public at large seems to have the same attitude as you - that inconvenience is a worse imposition than other people dying - it's little wonder that things got as bad as they did, and have continued to drag on as long as they have.

You are still peddling what is essentially an outlook of 'I want to go back to normal and am glossing over people dying so I can achieve that.' You've been doing this every time deaths have dropped even slightly, and I'm not sure if it's because you're conflating the rate slowing down with the number falling below an acceptable amount, but we are certainly nowhere near an 'acceptable' number of extra deaths, especially not if they could be prevented by basic sanitation measures.

Worse, you're now pretending that the number of people who have died is "a tiny minority" to make that stance feel more palatable.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I can't tweet at anybody I've never had a social media account and don't intend to start now.
This is probably the most sensible take posted in UKMT history.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

but you're putting a lot of words into my mouth here.

[...]but if you follow your argument to its conclusion none of us leave the house ever again
gently caress off.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

Where did I minimise anything?

ThomasPaine posted:

Honestly I feel like one of the big takeaways from covid has been how much it has forced relatively privileged people in the west to acknowledge their own mortality, and scrambled their brains in the process.

Like, I get it, covid is scary. It can be a real bitch and yeah, it can kill you especially if you're old or otherwise vulnerable. But lockdown was always a public health measure designed to stop hospitals being overwhelmed. There was (is?) a lot of virus going around, and lots of people were always going to get sick as a result, but only a tiny minority died - numbers not really altogether worse than from other causes. It's poo poo but people die. But yeah, lockdown was necessary to stop the hospitals being overwhelmed, and I do understand the anxiety of the whole thing - I certainly felt it.

Anyway, what I'm getting to is that now we have a solid vaccine rollout and everyone who wants one has been offered one, but I know so many people who are still losing their minds about getting on buses or whatever. I genuinely don't get it! You've had a vaccine that reduces covid's likelihood of killing you from 'very unlikely' to 'almost zero'. And yet you're still refusing to leave the house you're so terrified of catching it? And you're getting mad at other people trying to get back to a semblance of normality? I just... if you've had the vaccine what more can you do? You're basically fine. It turns covid into a potentially unpleasant but basically harmless cold. I fundamentally do not understand why anyone is remotely worried anymore. Yes, it might still kill you if you're very unlucky. You can also just die from a thousand other things on a daily basis. You might get cancer or fall over or crash a car or whatever. But for some reason you obsess over covid and covid alone, and insist on this quasi-wartime attitude of stoic self-denial and permanent isolation until what, we have 0 cases globally, as if that's even possible. And all that for something that, assuming you're vaccinated, is less of a threat than slipping in the shower?

Idk, this just feels like a lot of people learning for the first time that you can just... die, and being completely unable to process the reality of that. Covid was what prompted that thought process, so covid will always be this terrifying existential thread. Maybe this attitude stems from the influence of a neoliberal ideology that holds the only important decision as one that directly affects you, the individual. They cannot recognise public health measures for the collective policies they are, and instead insist on perceiving them as there to protect them personally from this big bad evil, which persists now even as its actual threat dwindles.

I'm thinking out loud here I guess but it's interesting. Since having the vaccine I stopped giving a single poo poo about covid despite being technically considered vulnerable, and it's wild to me that there are people who still refuse to go to public spaces after nearly two years despite being at essentially no additional risk than they otherwise would be.
I'll stop putting words in your mouth when they stop coming out of it.

Also if you reply to me by attacking a position you have heard a 'bunch of people' saying (but notably that I have not), and then start accusing everyone else of strawmanning, then it was a good point well made and you can indeed gently caress off.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

On a seperate issue, I refuse to believe that our local tory MP exists and is not a Terry Gilliam animation:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Can't pay child support if you're dead from covid (reaches up and taps side of gigantic forehead)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My Dad's visiting at the mo, and seems mostly to be glad that the club is no longer owned (in both senses of the word) by Mike 'big mugs, bigger dinners' Ashley. Mostly because of his treatment of the club over the last few years (refusing to invest in anything, borderline asset stripping etc). I have no idea about footmans myself but he seems to be very relieved.

Apparently there were very confused scenes of violence outside the stadium yesterday as people celebrating Ashley selling up and loving off ran into the people protesting the Saudis not for any valid reasons other than islamophobia. Can't find anything in the news, but he was seeing stuff on whatsapp.

Is this the Saudi investment fund they keep going on about on Trashfuture by the way, or is the problem mostly the human rights abuses etc?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

a video action replay of piss

E: for content, what do people think of this?

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1446760874916683779?t=Imit5VyhA7fHcDXVhKEf4g&s=19

Monbiot is an interesting one because he genuinely seems to realise the problem is capitalism sometimes, and has been posting stridently to that effect, but this feels like a drift back to trying to compromise with solutions within capitalism.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 9, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

He knows exactly what he's doing - if any new measures come out against harassing women, there is a 99-100% certainty that he has been recorded doing it multiple times.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

When I first came to scotland with my BBC English voice, at work there was a guy who had the Scottish version of the incomprehensible old man from hot fuzz's accent.

He was very friendly and would come up to me and go something like "y'hwee hewwenny h'yeh?"
And I'd say, "sorry, what?"
And he'd look at me completely mystified and go "whe?"
One of my many problems is a delay in my auditory loop - it sometimes takes an extra second or so for my brain to translate the noises it just heard into information I can act on. But people always interpret that as needing to hear the exact same slurred mess of consonants, just louder.

My hearing is fine though - slightly above average if anything. So then my loop kicks in on the 3rd or 4th repeat, by which point they're generally mad at me so when I test my best guess at what they said, they go "Oh so you did hear me then?" and think I'm taking the piss.

Hi it's me, the person who hates dealing with difficult and unclear accents, and dies a little every single time I have to tell a call centre worker I cannot understand them.

Indian call centre workers are generally clearer than scousers though. And again, I don't hate Scousers, the accent just slides off my brain.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Where do crises currently trend?
As I understand it, it goes:

1) Contradictions heighten,
2) Linen coats,
3) ?
4) Communism.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think if I had enough money for videogames, heating and steroid injections to stop my tendons falling out, I would be perfectly content. 90% of my unhappiness or stress playing games comes from feeling like I should be doing something else to feed the golden throne economy.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean you could live very comfortably on 3k a month and invest the other 7k in a healthy pension fund. Even if you spent 5 and invested 5, assuming you have to be 18 to enter and are probably going to be at least in your 20s when you win, you could retire at 50 and still have a good life off of that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Aphex- posted:

I remember reading an article a few years ago about a study done on lottery winners and whether or not it was actually a bad thing to win because of what it does to your life.
There was a good reddit comment about how much it fucks your life. Might just be US based but I can imagine an awful lot of it applying over here too:

https://reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/24vo34/whats_the_happiest_5word_sentence_you_could_hear/chb4v05

One of the best sentences speaks to something that came up a few times here too:

"And [US treasury bonds are] income that is drat safe. If we get to the point where the United States defaults on those instruments, we are in far worse shape than worrying about money.

[...] Put some fraction in something like Swiss Government Bonds at 3%. If the Swiss stop paying on their government debt, well, then you know money really means nothing anywhere on the globe anymore."

A few people were saying "what if the housing market / investment funds / bonds go tits up?" So much of the economy is propped up on them honestly, if those go tits up we're in Mad Max territory anyway, and there's nowhere you can put your money where it's safe.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The woke left want to rewrite history by insisting that Mr Greatrex actually had feathers.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bobstar posted:

Reposting "Castle meets a 'Geordie'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei1DnFdJrww
has the north not suffered enough

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just push all the plastic in the ocean together somewhere hot, then tell the daily mail this piece of the commonwealth is under threat of bombing by leftists, so they can live out their wet dream combining blitz spirit, preserving the empire and living abroad for tax purposes.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

loving hell, it'll be interesting to see if "I have seen a lot of shops in my time, you can tell by the pixels" will fly in court.

Imagine I photoshopped the river from that Stalin pic over the photo of him with Giuffre instead of sailing the high seas of the Deadfire peninsula in my trusty sloop , 'The Trans Agenda.'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wait is that the actual defence he's used as opposed to being something a lot of Twitter accounts all decided independently was his response?
From the NBC article:

"Andrew, the Duke of York, has always vehemently denied the allegations. In a 2019 interview with the BBC, he said he has “no recollection” of ever meeting Giuffre. He also suggested that a photograph of them together with Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell could have been doctored."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

They're probably going to use this as a wedge issue to bring in ID cards, which will cost £500 and only be issued in person by a single office in Fortnum & Mason.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ Because if they state a position, there's a risk they'll attract the help of other leftist / progressive groups who can smell a cop a mile off.

IB are there to recruit a true enough believer that they'll get themselves run over, at which point Patel can step in with complete public support for that ban on 'any protests that inconvenience the public' they were trying out a while back.

They've invented a more annoying version of ER so that when they ban IB, the blanket ban will include ER (and probably also sneak any anti-government protests in there as well).

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 13, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Nah not the “I can’t process audio stuff” replies, the smug oh there are only a few narrators oh ho ho replies.
Few pages back, but I'm getting into audiobook narration and am genuinely concerned that it's amazon's latest attempt to move their union-breaking into acting, at least as far as audiobooks are concerned.

The fact that there are few narrators is largely because you're kind of expected to record, produce, edit and provide background fx / music yourself. Bigger titles will throw cash at a celebrity to do it, but smaller titles are reliant on paying some guy recording in his bedroom with a duvet over his head.

Also that Amazon are absolutely unwilling to do anything about the scams, like clients refusing to pay, clients relisting the book to get out of paying royalies, and the huge pay gouge (you get paid per hour of audio produced, not per hour worked).

It's weird because I worked producing smut for their self publishing arm for a few years, and I genuinely think that the deal they offer authors is better in almost every way than trad pub deals, just in terms of the royalities.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh dear me posted:

It's really poo poo and I should like to know what the gently caress was wrong with post office cards. :argh:
The british state is collapsing so they can no longer trust their accounts.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ Can't wait for Patel to ban antifa without a shred of self awareness.

stev posted:

Except in this analogy they also want to apply the death penalty to all victims of crime too.
It's so much worse than the death penalty, it's framing the answer to 'they will die' as a big fat shrug, like so much right wing / tory answers to this kind of thing.

It's incredibly frustrating because you can point out all you like that people who are in situations like that will die if they aren't helped, and they'll keep saying that the person shouldn't have done something / should have done something else.

Like how homeless people should 'just get a job,' ignoring the fact that the person on the streets is there specifically because they were unable to get a job, whether from mental health issues, disability the government refused to support, or addiction issues the health service was ideologically opposed to treating. No, they should just get a job. When all the shelters are full, and the police keep moving you on every few months, and you have no permenant address, and are unsuitable for work.

The horrifying truth of the situation is that someone in that situation will die, given a long enough timeline or a harsh enough winter. What they need is help. What they especially don't need is a lecture from some smug oval office who's never experienced real hardship about what they should have done.

The metaphor i'd use is that a drowning person needs a float to grab onto, not a lecture about jumping into water: except that loops back to the actual, literal situation we're talking about.

Jesus it's nightmarish how spiteful some people are.

BalloonFish posted:

We're a hair's breadth away from the bits in Nineteen-Eighty-Four that don't get endlessly parroted by people who haven't read it:
As with modern life, the problem there is the people identifying with the attack helicopter.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 15, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Has anyone checked CSPAM to make sure the pit of leftist indoctrination hasn't struck again?

Even though it's inevitably going to turn out that the guy was a confused antivaxxer, this is going to be the tories very own Jo Cox to hammer what remains of the left.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

I wonder if we'll ever find out the true motives of the person who stabbed him?
No, Angela Rayner was in a cupboard telling him leftist ideas, and one of the ideas looked at me.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Whatever happens, the centrists are going to be loving unbearable.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The real reason almost doesn't matter at this point. Either way they'll somehow spin it to attack the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So basically, if the killer's motivations are revealled, he's left wing. If they're 'not important,' he's right wing.