Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Moving chat:

There's a distinct possibility that my wife and I are going to have to move from Fife, Scotland to Exeter in January. Unfortunately, while my wife has her driver's license here, I don't yet (I'm Canadian and have to take a driving test to switch my license to a UK one, but COVID delays have meant that I can't any time soon). This pretty much rules out us renting a truck and then moving that way, so I'm considering pod or container delivery services.

Has anyone had experience with moving within the UK via pod or container delivery? Any advice, either in how to proceed or what companies are good/bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Was wondering why you don't want to use a regular house moving firm?

Are they relatively affordable? If so, what are some good companies?

I'm just working from my experience in North America, where I generally found pod shipping to be the most cost effective method of moving long distances as long as you're not transporting delicate stuff that way.

quote:

Used to drink with a lot of the Pickfords drivers and they were decent sorts.

Good to know. Thanks!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't know any companies personally as I used a firm local to me rather than a national. What I would do if I were you is ask around on local facebook groups for any recommendations. I don't know the cost sorry but if you were going to hire a container and transport it I don't think it would be much difference in price. Obviously cost of a removal firm will depend on how far you're going and exactly what service they provide - some will do your packing for you too.

May I recommend hiring crates to pack rather than trying to construct and stick up a billion cardboard boxes? Having had to stick loads of cardboard boxes together for my late father, I was blowed if I was doing that again. So I rented crates when I moved. Also, if something goes wrong on moving day with the completion then your stuff can go into storage in the crates. I rented crates for 8 weeks initially and returned them after about 5 or 6 weeks when I had finished unpacking them and got a bit of a rebate.

I got my crates from here: https://www.cratehire-uk.co.uk/rent-a-crate/

Thanks! That's really helpful.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
finally, some positive news from keith.