Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

More proof that there's a place in the world for a film franchise based on Boris Johnson's attempts at avoiding negative press and child support payments.

Johnson is a considerably better example of what our intelligence officers get up to - shouting a lot, demanding special treatment, and rutting like a boar, yet somehow escaping any consequences for any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

My understanding is that tornados aren't actually that uncommon in Lincolnshire, it's just that it's so loving empty they rarely cause much damage.

The UK gets more tornados, per square mile, than any country on Earth, it's just they're generally small and generally in places without human habitation like the North Sea or Birmingham.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think one thing I have noticed is that the disgust with the police response seems to be very broad, it's not just the usual people on the left there seems to be a pretty universal recognition that they have an issue and are doing gently caress all about it.

It's incredible how badly they've hosed the response here - and sadly instructive of just how completely insulated they normally are from criticism. All they needed to do was the normal "Bad apples, lessons learned, policies will be updated" poo poo (and obviously not actually changed anything) and the usual suspects would have just greased the ramp for them out of the news cycle. Instead they've come up with a bunch of poo poo that even the whitest liberals are going "Wait what?". It's hard even to pick a highlight, but "wave down a bus" is, I think, my particular favourite because it reveals even Plod don't believe that ringing 999 is going to end well and buses at least have cameras and witnesses and stuff.

Ash Sarkar summed it up absolutely perfectly:

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1443844063690698797

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

This is because apparently, for various complicated reasons mostly to do with BAOR not wanting to deal with multiple classes of driver, German driving licenses over a certain age legally count as C1 (LGV) in the UK - but that wouldn't entitle you to drive a tanker lorry or any kind of HGV, just cut out a couple of bits of the testing regime.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

🚨 | NEW: The government has asked the UK Euro Truck Simulator 2 mailing list to drive lorries to assist with the HGV shortage

Limmy, your country needs you.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Call me a cynic but I think encouraging people to carry around hidden cameras at all times is going to result in more crimes against women, not less.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yup, I'm convinced that at some point in the immediate aftermath, the press must have done some memory implantation specifically about him jumping the barrier because everyone who brings that event up, including myself until recently, seem to remember that he jumped the ticket barrier and ran into the station.

It's an interesting example of the problem with eyewitnesses and also the wet cement effect of early reporting.

Early reports all mentioned a man jumping the barrier being chased by armed police, who were shouting at him to stop, and that De Menezes was in a heavy coat with wires coming out of it. These were taken from two eye witnesses, one a member of staff at the station and one a passenger on the train. The actual (official) Met statements mentioned neither of these facts, in fact nothing but the most minimal details that they'd shot someone who they believed to be a suicide bomber on the train.

The problem is that the person jumping the barrier was in fact an armed officer[1] in plain clothes (which obviously would be fairly bulky to conceal body armour, weapons, etc) with other officers with weapons drawn running behind shouting for the barriers to be opened, and the person in the heavy coat with wires coming out of it was one of the surveillance officers who had followed De Menezes onto the train and who was dragged away by the officers who actually killed De Menezes[2].

The thing is that this was an incredibly high-stress and out-of-the-ordinary situation so eyewitness reports are very unlikely to be useful - when you see blokes with guns running around just a few weeks after a massive terrorist attack and the day after a failed repeat (everyone always forgets 21/7) you're not carefully noting down details, you're loving running away and hiding. It's an example I always use but air crash investigators almost *never* use eye witness reports because every eye witness to a plane crash reports the plane as being on fire as it hit the ground and also making a screaming noise on the way down because that's how plane crashes look in films because the brain is desperately trying to come up with something that will tell it what to do.

Press reporting based on those two eye witnesses fit a narrative so they went with it, especially as on the day nobody had any reason to doubt that De Menezes was actually the missing suspect from 21/7 or even the supposed fifth bomber from 7/7, and the human brain's love of stories kicks in and sets that as your knowledge of what happened. Because the later corrections aren't as sensational, they don't make as much of an impression on you, so you keep the original, erroneous version of events - this is the wet cement effect, and it's one that's always rumoured to be the reason why leaked versions of police-involved shootings always come out as sensational tales of derring-do (e.g. Mark Duggan) - funnily enough in this one case that *doesn't* seem to be the case.

[1] This is an interesting and mostly-unexamined wrinkle in the story. On the cover of the Metro that De Menezes stopped to pick up would have been an (in)famous picture of armed police at UCH on 21/7 which showed two men carrying H&K G36s, which weren't at the time issued to any police force. These two were also shorter and rather scruffier than armed plod tend to be, and this (combined with the fact that said picture promptly disappeared from every news website) led to the rumour that men who definitely *did* know what colour the boathouse at Hereford was were being used on the streets of London, something that was eventually quietly admitted to some time later when the Met admitted they had received "support from the Armed Forces" in the investigation into both 7/7 and 21/7. Met officers all know you can just run into the barriers and they'll open, which is considerably quicker than jumping them (as is just running through the luggage barrier), so I've always taken this as proof that at least one of Them was at Stockwell that day. Given They were apparently the authors of, and certainly involved in the training of officers for, Operation Kratos (the "just shoot them in the head" policy in force for suspected suicide bombers in force at the time) it shouldn't be that surprising, but it's always been a detail that's stuck in my head.

[2] Probably didn't help that the surveillance officer was significantly darker-skinned than De Menezes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I remember it because they made a big deal of the foreign chapati flour being used as part of the explosive, in the absence of any more salacious lines of interest.

Yeah, the insinuation that you'd never use Good Protestant White English Flour like McDougalls for nefarious purposes.

(I have theories about that flour too but lol if you think I'm even speaking them out loud let alone typing them out on the internet)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Giggle Goose posted:

Hold on I thought this was a joke. Is this...is this real?

New thread title.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

after nite fel Peason and i sneke down 2 the forcort with fotherington-tomas bag of felt tips

Lol now that's a reference that I wasn't expecting to see in the UKMT.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

Gotta agree that as this breakfast just cost me £13 in Spitalfields market.

Hmph.

Just lol at anyone who eats in Spitalfields for any reason at all. Better, cheaper, and way more varied food is available in like two minutes in literally any direction.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I definitely think The Curse Of The Home Secretary started to get to her with the whole "ban anonymity on the internet" thing.

Home Secretary as a role suffers from the old "When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" problem. Even at the best of times the majority of the role is dealing with the results of the failures of just about every other department, but now we're deep into the selling-the-copper-out-of-the-walls stage of society. Awful behaviour on the internet, from racist abuse to grooming to the worst sin of all, being rude to people with newspaper columns, is a symptom of much much deeper problems that we need to fix in society but the only tool available to the Home Office is MORE COPS or at least MAKE LIFE MUCH EASIER FOR COPS, so forcing everyone to post with their full name, address, and a contact number for their manager on display is about the only solution a Home Secretary would have.

Maybe it's time to swap out the Home Office as a Great Office with another one that actually has power to fix problems rather than punish their results, or at least move a lot of the departments that have budded off from it over the years back in - FCO and the Treasury still make sense as Great Offices because they have a singular role which they have complete control over, but the Home Office now only really does cops, courts, and (I'll stop there).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RevolutApp/status/1443953867436212226

(Screenshot because I get the feeling this is getting deleted on Monday morning)

Some startup doing the normal thing of "What if existing thing but with an app and not following any rules" with banking tells a customer that they're unable to help them with an enquiry - except the enquiry is "We need a letter proving that we use you as a bank otherwise they're going to deport my husband". What a perfect confluence of two of the bigger evils of modern Britain - an immigration policy that is of course designed to be as convoluted and difficult to navigate as possible throwing up what is no doubt the 50th attempt at a Columbo-esque "Oh just one more thing" at a couple just trying to get on with their lives meets a bunch of trustafarians playing at being bankers just like Daddy until Softbank comes along and gives them more money than God.

Now the person who actually typed this tweet is probably some poor underpaid "social media manager" in Newcastle or something, and it's not 100% clear if this is actually the problem or not - i.e. it's entirely possible the person running the Twitter account has no actual ability to get this done even if it is something the company itself it can do - but that's not the problem, the problem is that when confronted with this they put that little loving waving hand emoji in the response telling someone "Soz about your family". Some oval office wearing Eric Sykes glasses no doubt trousered £200k to come up with a brand style guide that included the words "human" and "friendly" and maybe even "playful" that said minimum-wage worker has to abide to or it's back on the dole for them.

Somehow this has really, really got to me - god knows there's enough evil poo poo going on in the world but that loving emoji has broken me. gently caress everything about this diseased loving society.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jinkii posted:

@Goddamnedtwisto you don't get the gammon flavoured post-brexit horror show England and Wales have dragged everyone into yet, to quote this very website "There is always more and its always worse"

What the gently caress is this post supposed to mean?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jinkii posted:

You whined about forrins being mistreated, i pointed out thats what you english forced on us.

Oh you're one of those. gently caress off.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh you're one of those. gently caress off.

To expand on this - I will not be morally judged based on what side of an imaginary line my parents happened to gently caress on, and you *really* need to take a long hard loving look at yourself if that's how you see the world.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jinkii posted:

Im sorry for personalising that, i get the tyranny of the majority in democracy's. But you can't have it both ways.

I'm not having it any loving way, how loving dare you try and loving say that I am in some way to blame for this poo poo. gently caress off and never loving post at me again you loving sanctimonious oval office.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The guy who shot Tiny Toese (in the tiny toes) was a goon? And people said these forums were irrelevant.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah last night I was tired and emotional, in both senses of the term, so apologies to all for biting on the obvious troll

I will however repeat that there's a word for someone who considers people inferior based purely on what side of an imaginary line they happen to live, and invite people to contemplate what they're saying when they do that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Flayer posted:

Almond milk is flavoured water. It's 2% almonds if you're lucky.

Cow milk is flavoured water, even full-fat milk is 90% water.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Okay I'm going to go absolutely 100% :tinfoil: here because there's a lorry with a crane dropping what looks a *lot* like an industrial backup generator into the car park of the school on my estate - the box itself is unmarked (looks like a shortened ISO container) but it is the exact dimensions and has the same side doors as the ones my company uses for temporary backup when working on the UPS at our smaller data centres.

Now it could just be a coincidence and this is just some temporary storage for some building work or something but at this point in history I'm going to assume someone's dusting off some plans last updated around 1994.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

No poo poo,

Imagine looking at the evidence of Brexit/Covid and thinking that the government has made or will enact any disaster contingency planning, when their response to various unfolding crises has been to shrug their shoulders and blame it on.... (checks notes)... uhm being too woke??

Hah, I came to the exact same realisation as I was talking to someone else about this - thinking this government has plans for *anything* beyond this:

is the real insane conspiracy.

e: Lol I decided to try an attachment for literally the first time ever because I happened to have the image already on my hard drive and now I can't remove it, so have the same image again, for free:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 4, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aidan_702 posted:

I used to work in Estates in a Uni and these constantly had to be upgraded/replaced so I don't really think that means anything :shrug:

This is a primary school with maybe a hundred pupils, I doubt they have much internal use for a UPS of any capacity.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Total Meatlove posted:

You can look up Planned Service Interruptions and outages on the UKPN website here;

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/power-cut/map

Looks like there was an outage on the Isle of Dogs earlier today? From memory you're around that way.

For clarity - the way that fines are calculated by Ofgem for outages means that DNO's are absolutely incentivised to use generation to backfeed customers and keep lights on. £13 for each UPRN off, £15/hour for every hour after that stacks up quickly, especially in incredibly built up environments. Might have been that there was an outage, they've backfed from generators and then fixed the main fault?

Assuming it *is* the same model we use (see below though) it's about 500kW peak output and about 400ish maximum sustained output - a hefty bit of kit but not "Power an entire council estate" levels of juice. Also the school would be a weird place to put it - the substation for the estate is a hundred or so yards away with a convenient park right next to it.

Digging around though, they're doing a big maintenance job on the CHAP system that provides district heating for that part of the estate next week and the boiler room for that is just across the road from the school, so it's possible that this is actually related to that, the notice mentions two weeks of work but no outage to the heating and hot water so maybe this is some sort of temporary replacement boiler for that and they're just storing it there until the start of the work.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

I like that Twisto's endless vague mutterings about things 'round my way' means I've narrowed down where he lives to basically 2x 50m2 areas.

I've given away enough information over the years to narrow it down to one of about 50 houses, you're slacking.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also someone at Facebook is getting sacked because it looks like they've just crashed their entire network - routes to it keep appearing and disappearing at random and it's causing big enough issues that some internet exchanges have blackholed them altoghether.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

Reviving this gif I made:

At least the monorail actually got built.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Hasnt a major DNS just shat the bed? Although saying that pretty much everything else works.

Nobody can get to Facebook's DNS servers because nobody can get to Facebook's network. It's not impossible there's a more general DNS issue but that's more likely to be symptom rather than cause.

e: Ironically I can't really get any more info because the people I know who'd actually know for certain I normally communicate with over Whatsapp. I know I could text them but it's not 1999 any more.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

fluppet posted:

The ancient dark arts of irc still work

For years a large UK ISP which will go un-named to protect the guilty[1] did all of their internal chat on a public IRC server, including poo poo like password changes.

[1] Not any of the ones I worked for, although one did have a private internal IRC server that also had a channel that a bot slapped any critical syslog messages in as it's main monitoring platform.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

So is this what happens when the global DNS services have to nuke you or is this the sort of thing you do to make it clear you just wrecked Facebook's poo poo

No, it's the sort of thing that happens when you're a post-dotcom company that thinks everything below layer 4 is pointless and the Real Work is in using a megabyte of Javascript to slightly adjust the kerning on the fourth advert on the landing page.

(It appears to be a major fuckup in their network configuration leading to them effectively removing themselves entirely from the internet, the DNS failure being the most obvious symptom to the kind of person that thinks everything below layer 4 etc etc)

e: willing to bet a *substantial* amount of money that their network support are outsourced which is why the rollback is taking so long.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 4, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wonder if there's any truth to this?

https://hothardware.com/news/facebook-instagram-whatsapp-down-globally

Just think of all the naughty things people can get up to while all these fb etc are down. Rockwell needs to redo 'somebody's NOT watching me'.

Nah, a DDoS big enough to take out Facebook would blot out the sun. This is people misunderstanding (deliberately or not) the ripple effects of them disappearing into an internet black hole - to a naive network or security engineer (or a dishonest seller of network or security services) the fact that the sheer *amount* of people (and things) trying to hammer at Facebook and their services would look like a DDoS, but it's going to be orders of magnitude less traffic than they would normally see going there - the fact that it's all in one direction is what makes it look like a DDoS.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

And the XR stuff that’s going on at the minute will make it even easier to pass public opinion, in a way that other types of protest wouldn’t provide such handy cover for.

I wasn't sure about the "XR is an op" thing but this Insulate Britain lot behave like protestors out of a Richard Littlejohn book.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
There's no modern EIC (which actually had the largest army *and* navy in the world, albeit at different times) because there doesn't need to be, what with nations more than willing to cover the externalities of imperialism for the private companies.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

I'm going to just draw a cock on my ballot.

Stop voting for the Tories.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It certainly does sound wrong. I simply can't imagine there being enough learjets flying around to match all military, passenger and freight emissions.

Yeah this claim's come up before and nobody's ever been able to substantiate it. Small private jets *are* terrible per-passenger-mile but it's what they represent, not what they actually are, that's the problem.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1445666514225356800?s=20

One well-targeted Paveway could have increased the sum total of happiness in these benighted islands by approx. 1 million percent.

Went to double-check my (mistaken) belief that Paveway wasn't used any more before doing a :clancysay: response to this, and instead discovered the most Late Capitalism thing ever:

quote:

Raytheon subsequently sued Lockheed Martin in Arizona federal court alleging trademark infringement, Lockheed filed counterclaims in the suit. In September, 2014 the companies agreed that Raytheon is the exclusive owner of "Paveway™" for laser-guided bombs and related goods and services and that "Paveway" is a protectable trademark, but that Raytheon will license the mark to Lockheed for use in connection with single-mode laser-guided bomb kits.[12] The two companies compete each year for U.S. and foreign orders.[13]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

"laser-guided bombs and related goods and services"

Grimdark King Of The Hill remake.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Never forget Dominic Cummings was a big poster on LessWrong, SlateStarCodex, and all the other weird "rationalist" websites that are to the alt-right what SA is to Weird Twitter.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So, what's happening with covid these days? Cases are still really high, but no-one around me seems to be acknowledging its existence anymore. I took a bus into Manchester today and maybe ten people total were masked. Most of my local friends are just out doing whatever, and if they said to me "the pandemic? What pandemic?" :confused: like it had been plucked from their memory then it wouldn't surprise me.

Should I not still be avoiding social events? I'm just about holding things together on my own, but I don't trust that anyone I go and see is taking even a single precaution to prevent its spread, despite a few catching covid and one currently being in isolation.

Quoting myself from theGBS Covid thread:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Something interesting is happening - or not happening - on the Septic Isle.

UK new case rates have stayed fairly constant after a spike around "Freedom Day" (sigh) apart from a spike after the schools went back at the beginning of September:

Now I, and most other people paying attention to the way Johnson and his band of merry fuckwits have been doing things, assumed this was because cases were being under-reported, and pointed at a slow but relentless rise in hospitalisations and deaths as evidence that this was the case, but in fact hospital admissions have been tailing off for the last three weeks:

and now deaths are starting to follow suit:

This is despite there being basically no restrictions at all in England and Wales any more (and no fucker's wearing a mask on public transport in London even though it's supposed to be a legal requirement) and very few restrictions left in Scotland, but now with 90% of the over-18 population with at least one jab, and boosters now starting to roll out to vulnerable populations.

We've hit so many false dawns before but if this trend continues now we're well and truly into autumn we might just be able to start talking about herd immunity without being absolute loving monsters (I mean we still will be, just not for that particular reason).

(Of course one alternative explanation is that the rolling shortages of poo poo - petrol at the moment - caused by Brexit mean that people are being effectively forced into social distancing because there's nothing in the shops and now people can't even get to them)

Since writing that I've caught what I'm 99% sure is just a cold (LFTs coming up negative, and really it's just a bit of a blocked nose) but it's got me worried because I thought I was still being careful enough with masking and distancing but if a cold got through covid *definitely* would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

Yes like flying ant day it is over for another year, and all the Tories who were going to gently caress have now done so. Once again it is safe to go outside citizen.

Which reminds me of the single horniest sentence on Wikipedia:

quote:

Within a few days after they have emerged (eclosed) from the pupa case, males are "quickly converted into single-purpose sexual missiles."