Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML9fvfp1l7g

There is no need to queue for fuel! Everything is fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

🚨 | NEW: The government has asked the UK Euro Truck Simulator 2 mailing list to drive lorries to assist with the HGV shortage

Great game, nice to chill out with.
The devs need to do an april fool Brexit version. Have to wait 10 hours to queue for a ferry to the UK, empty roads on the UK, cant refuel in UK as no fuel, etc.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Noxville posted:

I thought it was because all Germans had spent hours playing truck sims

Nah, its genetics. Some of their grandparents drove tanks in WW2, so driving a lorry full of Curly Wurlys should be a doddle.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Surely the Red Army applied a large selection pressure against the German tank-driving gene in the mid-40s

Their descendants are being asked to deliver Wotsits.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Baroness Vere of Norbiton
Minister of roads, buses, and places

I was expecting someone so on the Rees Mogg end of scale of only seeing buses and never one one. To poke fun at.
But looking at her wiki, the reality is funnier. She has failed upwards, third in elections, lead a EU campaign that failed.
The fail streak continues today, front bench material!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

namesake posted:

My point was it doesn't actually stop the incident from happening and even video evidence existing outside of police hands doesn't really result in meaningful action against the police later on - Ian Tomlinson as an example, where the cop is filmed just lashing out at a passerby causing his death and there's years of defence of the cop, an acquittal and then a supposed change in procedure which changed nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Ian_Tomlinson

Once they acquitted him, they slyly fired the cop from the Met, and then paid the family on the quiet to shut them up.
Something you would definitely do if you knew your guy was innocent.
All to keep the boy's in blue name untarnished.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

New thread title.

UKMT October 2021 - We have written to some Germans to post here

And

"Sorry luv, can't save your house from burning, got these Coco Pops for Hull"

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 1, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

As much as a Cenobite.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Not sure of this new The Beautiful South album will be any good.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

therattle posted:

They recently redid our local tennis courts at Finsbury Park and they are pretty solidly booked from 7am-8pm, and solidly booked during weekends. They also run tennis camps and after school lessons for kids. There is a real mix of people using the courts. There is a skate park right next door and a lot of space for football. Tennis can absolutely be a part of a council’s recreational offering. It becomes elitist when there are not decent reasonably priced (£3/hr off peak, £6/hr peak or floodlit) facilities available to the public.

I used to live beside a school, and right beside their two outdoor free gravel tennis courts.
50 weeks of the year, nothing, nada, zilch. Even the school barely used it.
Wimbledon fortnight, assholes shouting all day until dusk that it was in or out, that it was their turn, or climbing into our yards to get balls back.
Hated tennis with a passion, it took over the TV all day, and it was outside so couldn't escape it.
Still think its poo poo and won't watch it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Mixed doubles are bourgeois morality.

Mixed doubles are for 1920's well to do lower upper class 20 year olds called Crispin and Fanny.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

"I don't care, its not affecting me" vibe from the Bullshitter.

And random question, how come they can't keep the pigs alive for longer, can you only sell pigs at certain ages?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

This pisses me off more than usual.
We were trying to claim back £3000 of stamp duty on our old house to move my mum into a smaller one for her age.
And we couldn't do so due to some rule change that we were not aware of until after it happened.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The only correct alternative answer to milk is Baileys.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah my assumption would be that he was made to eat cold tinned beans in boarding school and it is now a sexual fetish

Meh, hes doing keto and its the only protein that isn't £5 protein bars that are mostly sugar.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The worst thing about the bean pic above is that you don't see the liquid level left post beans.
Meaning he was slurping it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

therattle posted:

Maybe he drank the sauce straight from the can. He was eating the beans with a fork.

Maybe. I get those exact tins, and its not exactly watery that gloop.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

First five for the 2022 New Years Honor's List selected.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWqSaO576RA

Rees Mogg getting shouted at in the street, not giving a poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Paperhouse posted:

Incredible line from one Tory arguing about excess deaths due to covid - "It depends on your definition of death"

Just amazing

Sure it starts off with 'it depends on your definition of poverty'.
"Like no one is starving to death innit"

People just like going to food banks to hang around and chat.
Tory Scum.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Payndz posted:

The British Establishment is absolutely onside for Saudi Arabia no matter what horrific human rights abuses they commit and anti-Western fundamentalist causes they back, because the Saudis hate Iran as much as they do, and there's a ton of sweet, sweet arms deal money that can be wrung from that. Kieth is deeply committed above all else to being part of that Establishment and protecting its interests, as there'll be lots of lucrative speaking opportunities and a seat in the Lords at the end of it!

The people? Working classes? Whuh?

Part of the Brexit plan I would argue was to allow the dodgy as poo poo money into the UK.
Get in that oil money, get in that Russian oligarch money, and Jacob Rees Mogg would be happy as poo poo.
Get those financial regulations down to where the Tories ride one big financial bubble for as long as they can, and gently caress the consequences as they will be rich.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
I'm a Dick a Tuesday.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

I see they mis-spelt gingers, the true unnatural beings.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

Over in Ireland, basically when you win you can choose to go public with it or not.
Once you go public, the genie is out of the bottle and you can't go back. If you don't go public, the newspapers aren't allowed rat you out*.

The Lotto do talk about providing some financial advice to new winners to avoid the problem that someone immediately blows all their money on hookers and blow.
There was a documentary about the Lotto and it spoke to some past winners and what their lives were like but I never saw it. Was meant to be very good.

* = One Euromillions winner who was publicised was a Limerick Woman called Dolores Riordan. The papers justified naming her by saying that she was in a pub when the draw happened and it was the people in the pubs story that they were publishing.
The real story was she was publicised because her family were (alegedly) linked to gangs in the Limerick area and she was (alegedly) going to funnel money to them.

A few syndicates in Cork won, but not mad big money for each of them.
I heard though one of them were all in the one company, and the company itself got a ton of begging letters afterwards.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Chubby Henparty posted:

A year later they came through again and I asked them how things were. Their family had nicked the lot. I really wish I'd had the nous or the procedure to refer them to better help at the time :( (or to tell them that the shop boy was best placed to be their agent and manager)

That sucks.
Near to where I live, a woman in Strabane NI won £27 million from the lottery, she was jobless and lived in one of the worst housing estates in the entire country (Ballycolman estate, drug dealer central basically).
She decided to still live there which was a big mistake, and ended up being conned out of a lot of it.
She died a few weeks ago, just after saying she had only £5 million of it left.
Edit: She won it 8 years ago, so lost £2.75 million a year. loving hell.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Brendan Rodgers posted:

A few months ago when I tried the Audible trial, it made me start wondering if I have some kind of auditory processing issue, or something like ADD, based on what I've seen other people describe those things as.

I consider myself "decent at reading", I guess, I'm not smart, or some kind of Shakespeare elitist, but I can read things like House of Leaves or 19th century literature. I love reading books.

But when I was listening to audiobooks during that free month I would really struggle to "see" the scenes in my head, because my brain was struggling to process the audio fast enough. I had to keep rewinding. I tried quite a few genres.

Scientific ones are fine, but for story ones I am like that too.
I think its because when you read you are conjuring up the actual space where the book is in, even the smells and lighting from scant few words.
And you are making up the mental images and voices of the characters, when you hear someone elses voice instead it can be distracting.
And if its one person doing all the voices, then nope, definitely going to be thinking of all the characters with the same face.

I also start thinking how shoddy the recording is. Most don't account for room echo or space.
Now I know its in sound booths and such, but I can't unsee that, even if you are pretending to be on a boat, space ship, or battlefield.
I tried the Doctor Who audios, there is no big room 'echo' when they are in the Tardis for example, which is a major distraction.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Mr Phillby posted:

You can get the complete sherlock holmes for a single credit!

As its public domain, you can find a lot of Sherlock Holme old shows on Youtube.
I work on computer at home so can have those in the background.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Mr Phillby posted:

I got into sherlock holmes because of cumberbatch but Jeremy Brett is the undisputed best tv Sherlock it isn't even close.

Definitely.
I used to watch Brett's version when it was first aired as a kid, it was amazing.
I still think him and Moriarty eyeing each other up in silence is one of the best moments in TV ever.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Wee Ian believes in a lot of things that aren't true.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah the EU are really looking like wimp-dick bureaucratic dweebs right now, responding to Johnson making GBS threads all over the agreement by...cutting 80% of NI border checks.

I get it, it's a hostage situation where Britain is holding a gun to NI's head and clearly does not give two shits how much they gently caress them over, whereas the EU and Ireland actually have good-faith commitments to the almost 2 million people in NI. Nevertheless, I'm really starting to wish that the EU was anything like the vindictive fascist autocracy of gammons' frothy imagination

But the damage to the UK has been done, and NI is further away from them as they ever have been in the last hundred years.
The economic infrastructure has been strengthened over the last year between the outer-EU and Republic of Ireland, and with RoI and NI.
And the Tories and Don't Understand Politics can't have their wall now without major major blowback.
I would argue the EU 'won' this, Ireland is getting a poo poo more trade from the EU and will be able to send out more in return, and that won't be offset by ham sandwiches from Crewe being allowed to be sold in Belfast.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 14, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

All true! But y'know, it would be cool to see Britain face direct diplomatic consequences for any of the bullshit it's pulled in the past... millennium?

It would be cathartic to see them locked up in stocks and pelted with rotten fruit. But we know they will end up in the Lords and continue making GBS threads up the UK for decades to come.
But the UK will face consequences, but you won't know it directly probably.
They are the sick man of the world now, not just europe, everyone knows they can't be trusted on whatever the UK says they will do.
A lot of trade contracts will suddenly not be offered to them, or invites to things.
The UK will be paying through the nose for a lot of things other countries will freely cheaply trade with each other.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 14, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

jaete posted:

I still find this idea quite incredible that the DUP actually for real wanted to have a hard border again between Ireland and NI. Is this a real thing? Are there, say, some interviews somewhere where DUP people say (or hint) that yes they actually want(ed) a hard border? Or is it one of those things that everyone knows but which cannot be said aloud?

It's more 'evidence of absence' with the DUP silence on it.
They said before the Brexit agreement they wanted to maintain the Common Travel Area NI has been under since 1922.
Which can't happen now, with customs and trade.
And they haven't said anything much more than that.

They are very vocal they don't want the Irish Sea Border. They have been threatening to bring down the NI gov if its not removed.
And the only other option is the hard border with Ireland, which they are silent on.
So you can assume they want the hard border. As it benefits them if it limits the south in any way.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 14, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

Are we not making the mistake here of going "ah but when they say X, they really mean Y. Because that is how politics works."

Ignoring the fact that some people are really stupid or really mad. That some people who have been raised to believe that the Catholics want to get together and kill them all or that the Earth is 5,000 years old and dinosaurs are part of a test of faith left behind by Satan really think outlandish things. Like they believe that you can hold your breath until you are blue in the face and bang you head off a table and the EU will give you what you want. And not, you end up with brain damage.

Also its not a million years ago when they were in total control of NI, and would love to go back to it.
Sure not in the DUP name, but in the 50s/60s the electoral gerrymandering was still going on, the redistricting of areas to maintain future power was going on, the companies, and basically the money of the country.
Most of the DUP Lords would be in their 20s at that time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/clips/zmfqhyc

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

Oh an interesting video explaining Geryymandering in NI.

(Clicks on link. Says I'm in the wrong region.)

I have been Gerrymandered out of this content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbiW0yrnsLY

Here is the exact footage, but with a different voice on it for some reason.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

DesperateDan posted:

Rewilding can be pretty loving easy- just simply sit and watch and leave it alone and land just gets eaten up by whatever else is growing nearby/what seeds get shat out by things and after a few years it's properly wild again and the birds and bugs and beasts will start to exert their dominium

That's what happened with the old farmland I work- it got covered over with poplar/oak/blackthorn/bramble because that's a large chunk of whats around- I plant in other species of stuff to diversify things and clear out areas/chop back tree at the right times of year so that meadow and hedgerow exist, otherwise it would just be entirely thick woodland/bramble within a few years and that would be fine but I like a bit of variety as do the things that live there

Still need a bit of guiding it.
Japanese Knotweed is a menace all over the place atm, taking over the place like the green meteor poo poo in Creep Show.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Bringing in foreign butchers on a temporary basis was one of Charles I's old tricks, so it's probably just Priti Patel preparing for the protest powers.

Soon letters sent to circus knife throwers and ex-con knife criminals, asking to fill in butcher positions.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1448700769708949508

I sincerely hope the foreign butchers tell us to gently caress off

Rent free? Going to lose a month or two of that six months just for the privilege of coming back over.
And who the gently caress gives six month rent agreements these days.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
He was in Brass Eye's Drug episode talking about Cake.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Was a day or two ago they were going to rat out and punish doctors who wouldn't meet patients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Sky said this heli landed 2 hours after it happened.
So it was not immediately fatal, hes getting worse, or its just in case needed.