Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Hahhahahahahahhahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
6 year old tweet.

A lot of dumb fish were still on the theranos hook then, but I suspect most were smart enough to delete their "support our criminals" posts about Holmes by now.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

fknlo posted:

Thanks everyone. For real. I got here in time but things are not good. She didn’t get enough oxygen for too long and has been getting worse throughout the day and is still very unstable. They’re doing another ct scan right now to look but the reality is that she’s already gone. We’re going to wait for the results and go from there.

Sorry to hear

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

6 year old tweet.

A lot of dumb fish were still on the theranos hook then, but I suspect most were smart enough to delete their "support our criminals" posts about Holmes by now.

Including Mattis lol

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Including Mattis lol

He only eats the shiniest crayons.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sinema’s old tweets (from when she was a normal person making $32k/yr) are full of things like saying we need higher taxes on the wealthy, a $15 minimum wage, and many other progressive policy planks.

Now that she’s had a taste of the good life she is 100% gently caress the poor.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sinema’s old tweets (from when she was a normal person making $32k/yr) are full of things like saying we need higher taxes on the wealthy, a $15 minimum wage, and many other progressive policy planks.

Now that she’s had a taste of the good life she is 100% gently caress the poor.

She transformed into that in goddam record time

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Instaboomer

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It's a puzzle to figure out what, if anything, she actually believed. Green party anti war activist to Joe Manchin 2 (in a state that doesn't even want that!) is a hell of a trajectory. And it's not like being left and antiwar is a traditional path to influence within the Dem party - quite the opposite. But if she believed that stuff, how does she believe what she believes now? I can spin on this stuff until I have a headache

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Best Friends posted:

It's a puzzle to figure out what, if anything, she actually believed. Green party anti war activist to Joe Manchin 2 (in a state that doesn't even want that!) is a hell of a trajectory. And it's not like being left and antiwar is a traditional path to influence within the Dem party - quite the opposite. But if she believed that stuff, how does she believe what she believes now? I can spin on this stuff until I have a headache

If her usual attire is any indication, she believes she should be the center of attention.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

ElMaligno posted:

She transformed into that in goddam record time

:liberalism:

:capitalism:

In other news, my friend at work is unfortunately an anti-vaccine and now he's becoming the sole breadwinner after his wife gets fired for not getting a vaccine....as a nurse. I really like the guy as far as being the only person who is not otherwise crazy at my workplace....so I'm just sharing my perspective with him and keeping him at arms reach and masking. Working construction I can't really expect much more but the fact that 2 people had it in their small crew already and most of the other construction dudes have just up and got vaccinated has me hoping he comes around. He's mentioned maybe his wife will just need to get the shot and I'm just trying to nod and not yell "WELL DUH" or be an rear end or even be encouraging. More just being neutral and letting him come around?

It's made me realize how deep the divide is in class and healthcare or I guess the cost of medical education. I'm fortunate to be solidly middle class, in that my family has nurses, doctors etc. and even my most Trumpy conservative family all got vaccinated immediately as it became available. All of the coworkers I've met in the last year at various labor jobs are all just way less trusting of doctors, hospitals, shots and seems like they typically don't know anyone close who works in those fields. (The exception is of course my short lived job with carpenter crew boss who had a COVID-ward nurse girlfriend and he was surprised when I wore a mask in the work van when we rode together :christ: )

Washington State seems content to let the 5-10% of anti maskers walk around businesses and have everyone else just be opened up doing "Back to Normal" while most everyone is masked and keeps interactions brief. 76.4% of the state is 1st dose while 69.7% are fully vaccinated. https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/COVID19/DataDashboard

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Best Friends posted:

I figure she discovered that it turns out that corruption is actually cool and good.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

If you want to get real mad, peep this article about grift in the NYC homeles shelter economy. Whole bunch of notionally nonprofit orgs that are just funneling millions of dollars to their CEOs, nepotism hires, the works. Link is set so anyone can view it; no paywall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/03/...&smid=url-share

The whole thing is worth reading, but here are some choice highlights:

quote:

Soon after Jack A. Brown III quit his job at a private prison company, his former employer accused him of fraud. A few years later, after Mr. Brown started a nonprofit to run halfway houses, a federal audit found that it had failed to deliver key services. The New York State comptroller concluded in another review that Mr. Brown had shown “a disturbing pattern of ethical violations.”

None of that history seemed to bother officials in New York City.

Since 2017, as homelessness has risen to record levels, the city has awarded more than $352 million to a nonprofit run by Mr. Brown to operate shelters. The money is meant to help homeless people regain their footing in life, but it has benefited Mr. Brown, too.

The nonprofit has channeled contracts worth at least $32 million into for-profit companies tied to Mr. Brown, allowing him to earn more than $1 million a year, The New York Times found. Millions more have gone to real estate companies in which he has an ownership interest. He has also hired his family members and given employees perks such as gym memberships and cars.

quote:

One landlord started a nonprofit that handed out millions of dollars to real estate and maintenance companies that he and his family owned. A Bronx shelter operator was charged earlier this year with laundering kickbacks through a consulting company run by his family. A former board member of another homelessness organization is under criminal investigation after the city said the group paid millions of dollars to a web of for-profit entities he secretly oversaw.

For years, Mr. Brown has personally prospered by running an organization to help the homeless.

In addition to serving as the chief executive of the nonprofit he founded, CORE Services Group, Mr. Brown started a security guard company that polices his shelters, a maintenance company that makes repairs in them and a catering company that feeds the residents, records showed. Mr. Brown heads each of them, collecting total compensation that tops $1 million. He is the highest-paid shelter operator in New York, according to a review of available records.

quote:

Mr. Brown, 53, has profited in other ways: Along with partners, he owns two companies that have rented buildings to CORE, and his mother, sister, aunt and niece have all worked at the nonprofit, in addition to his brother, who has collected a six-figure salary.

At the same time, residents at one of the largest shelters in Mr. Brown’s operation, Beach House in Queens, said they lived with vermin infestations, creeping mold and violent fights in the hallways.

quote:

At Beach House, more than a dozen residents interviewed by The Times criticized the services that CORE’s new companies provided. They said the caterer frequently served them moldy bacon, undercooked meatloaf and powdered eggs, leading to bouts of diarrhea and stomach cramps.

The security guards often slept on the job and failed to stop open drug use and violent fights, some said. Almost all the residents who were interviewed said they had developed coughs and breathing problems from mold and moisture that had seeped into their rooms.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Topical
https://twitter.com/acechhh/status/1444705519445348356?s=20

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I still can't figure out if she's just making noise for attention because Manchin's also holding up the bill, or if she's actually serious and will actually torpedo the thing when it actually comes to voting time. Would be extremely odd if when he's on board, she isn't. Until then, it's a bunch of weird Girlboss noise.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Best Friends posted:

Its the difference between being a leftist, and knowing your target audience is leftist.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like she’s drunk her own koolaid and believes she’s the next coming of McCain for Arizona voters.

Honestly, with her past stances, she’s just trying to capture whatever way the wind is blowing that will further her career. It’s not about policy, it’s all about her.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Thwomp posted:

It sounds like she’s drunk her own koolaid and believes she’s the next coming of McCain for Arizona voters.

Honestly, with her past stances, she’s just trying to capture whatever way the wind is blowing that will further her career. It’s not about policy, it’s all about her.

There's no way Rs will ever vote for her after having a D beside her name right

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

If she's a grifter, she can just ride a "I WAS A DUMBOCRAT UNTIL I LEARNED THE RIGHT AND GOOD TRUTH OF OUR SAVIOR DONALD TRUMP AND ST. RONNIE!" line to victory and republicans will eat that poo poo up.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

If there's one single factor that explains people who changes with their circumstances it's this: who they are afraid of now, and who they look up to now.

Works for cultists, new parents, racists, large inheritances and Sinema.

Something to be said for keeping the right enemies? Lord know there's one for betrayal Elia Kazan was a very good director.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

No way they're ever voting for a openly bisexual woman who was against the Iraq war even before getting that far

I figured Rs in California would rally around Catlyn Jenner, who is basically Trump 2 in career arc, disposition and politics, but no they still aren't about to ever support someone with the wrong set of identities it seems.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Best Friends posted:

No way they're ever voting for a openly bisexual woman who was against the Iraq war even before getting that far

I figured Rs in California would rally around Catlyn Jenner, who is basically Trump 2 in career arc, disposition and politics, but no they still aren't about to ever support someone with the wrong set of identities it seems.

Well she still has time to go straight, find the Lord and a nice quaint husbeard switch to R and ride that gravy train into the sunset(of the nation).

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

good riddance.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1444930854426456066?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have often read obituary notices with considerable satisfaction.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If it’s a legitimate death, god has ways of shutting it down.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Icon Of Sin posted:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Icon Of Sin posted:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm honestly surprised that comment torpedoed his bid. I thought he already was a senator when he said that.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CainFortea posted:

I'm honestly surprised that comment torpedoed his bid. I thought he already was a senator when he said that.

It was a different time--a time when a phrase like that meant something.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Icon Of Sin posted:

:hmmyes:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sic semper trash

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The story of the past month or two has basically been the vaccine mandates are cool and good.

https://twitter.com/carriemelago/status/1445045667580235776

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Icon Of Sin posted:

:lmao: @ both.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

The story of the past month or two has basically been the vaccine mandates are cool and good.

https://twitter.com/carriemelago/status/1445045667580235776

The entire covid crisis has made me about 1000 times more supportive of authoritarian governance and I don't think I'm alone.

Capitalist democracy's pitch is "yes, life will be lovely for some and there will be no guardrails preventing depravation, but you get 50000 various kinds of treat in the grocery store snack isle and you might get to be one of the lucky ones with multiple houses." that is a compelling and winning argument for most people in this country

Capitalist democracy's pitch on disease response is "yes, you and your loved ones will have an increased chance of disease and with it horrible death, but on the upside, the worst person you know will get to act out the dumbest beliefs they found on Facebook" and I can't imagine that's as compelling for people

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Best Friends posted:

The entire covid crisis has made me about 1000 times more supportive of authoritarian governance and I don't think I'm alone.

Capitalist democracy's pitch is "yes, life will be lovely for some and there will be no guardrails preventing depravation, but you get 50000 various kinds of treat in the grocery store snack isle and you might get to be one of the lucky ones with multiple houses." that is a compelling and winning argument for most people in this country

Capitalist democracy's pitch on disease response is "yes, you and your loved ones will have an increased chance of disease and with it horrible death, but on the upside, the worst person you know will get to act out the dumbest beliefs they found on Facebook" and I can't imagine that's as compelling for people

I’m pretty sure this era of disinformation is going to rubber band hard the other way into authoritarian censorship.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

boop the snoot posted:

I’m pretty sure this era of disinformation is going to rubber band hard the other way into authoritarian censorship.

True. Then we'll get authoritarian capitalism in the Russian decrepit libertarian corrupt type, instead of the actually effective Chinese nominally public interested but corrupt type that can at least do disease prevention and build public infrastructure.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/LucasFoxNews/status/1445029426274709515?s=19

Not now China, we're busy with Hot Topic Senator

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Jesus China, chill out. Facebook's DNS servers are probably gonna be up again in an hour or so, it's not like all MILINT communication is down globally

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It appears that facebook really, really hosed up.

https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/1445081561536339970

https://twitter.com/sheeraf/status/1445099150316503057

Hopefully they can't figure it out.

https://twitter.com/Twitter/status/1445078208190291973

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/jckarter/status/1445089949024325634?s=20