Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/katebarstool/status/1443982093332189186?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Facebook chasing them dollars.

https://twitter.com/keithedwards/status/1445094696028618754?s=20

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I'm seeing people dance on Twitter about "Trump is Broke" because some documents released by the House Oversight Committee indicate the D.C. Trump International Hotel experienced a net loss of $70 million while he was president.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/08/politics/trump-hotel-dc/index.html

quote:

Trump's income from the Trump International Hotel reported in public financial disclosures dating from 2016 to 2020 totaled more than $156 million, the committee said Friday.

But in that four-year period, Trump's DC hotel actually suffered a net loss of more than $70 million while he was president and had to be loaned more than $27 million from one of Trump's holding companies, DJT Holdings LLC, from 2017 to 2020, according to hotel financial statements the committee obtained.
More than $24 million was not repaid and was instead converted to capital contributions, the committee said.

I mean I'm not a money numbers talker, but it seems like you would want to be showing losses all the time or defer losses from a bad period across the next three. If the hotel was taking-in money hand-over-fist, wouldn't you expect the business to find way of funneling that off to other parts they wouldn't have to pay tax on?

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

It's always some amount of projection. :eng99:

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I found this 2009 article when he was awarded the Queen's Service Medal (QSM).

quote:

"I think most people will be pleased to see the Wizard get a title like this but the rest of the world will be probably be thinking, 'It's a strange place New Zealand - what are they up to there giving a wizard a QSM?"'

Since arriving in Christchurch in 1974 and falling in love with the place, the Wizard has been a mainstay on the Cathedral Square tiles. It is there that he has espoused his philosophies on the meaning of life in what he calls "the longest-running show in New Zealand".

Formerly the Wizard of Christchurch, he was ordained the Wizard of New Zealand in 1990 by his good friend Mike Moore, who was Prime Minister at the time.

The proclamation from Parliament stated that he must protect the Government, wear appropriate regalia, bless new enterprises, cast out evil spirits, upset fanatics, cheer up fanatics and attract tourists.

Back in ye olde days of yore I suppose there probably were a lot of carny-wizards; not everyone can summon a dragon. I bet Kenneth Copeland would have been a wizard.

Edit: oh poo poo, "On 8 September 2003 The Wizard's large wooden house was destroyed by a fire, which Christchurch police treated as arson. The Wizard, his partner and two boarders were lucky to escape with their lives and The Wizard's extensive book and video collections were destroyed. The "Wizardmobile", constructed from the front halves of two VW Beetles, was also attacked and damaged."

Lake of Methane fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 11, 2021

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Yesterday, Texas Governor Abbott issued an executive order to suspend all statues that would allow a private party to compel someone to get a COVID shot (notionally addressing the employers making vaccination a condition of employment).

Today his opponent called him out
…because the Texas Department of Family & Protective Services website had a page that discussed LGBTQ and gender identity issues for teens.

quote:

“These are not Texas values, these are not Republican Party values, but these are obviously Greg Abbott’s values,” Huffines said in a widely circulated video on Twitter. The webpage published by the Department of Family and Protective Services linked to a suicide prevention hotline and other resources “dedicated to helping empower and celebrate” young LGBTQ people.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/Prompted-by-Abbott-primary-challenger-Texas-16525826.php

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

The only person I can think of where those amber shooting glasses aren't a huge, billowing red flag about a person is Hunter S. Thompson.

I guess even that exception is subjective.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Is this the facebook rebranding?

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Service Gives Access to Citizenship

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

The fuckin' hubris of Facebook attempting to co-opt a word from normal language.

Melt their rear end down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/DerfBackderf/status/1454987477039583235?s=20