Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

Davethulhu posted:

Edit:

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as insulting.

...from Saltwater Markets Facebook page...
A5 WAGYU, the world’s most valuable steak.
BMS 12
Miyazaki Prefecture
In order to be classified A5, Wagyu must grade to perfection in 5 different categories:
1. Genetics- must be 100% Wagyu Breed.
2. Beef Marble Score- A 12 point Japanese grading system (prime would be 3-4). A5 must grade 12.
3. Lean Meat- must be bright red.
4. Fat- must be bright white.
5. Texture- must be pure silk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

Immanentized posted:

Wagyu is a bloodline, you can have America/Australian Wagyu that's basically just Prime or Choice beef, but only the imported stuff can be A5 (which is a Japanese regulator thing) Kobe/Miyazaki/Kagoshima Wagyu. The Former is better off in western-style cuts and steaks, because the fat isn't as fine, and doesn't start to render at room temp. The latter, you want to slice it thinly and eat it in small bits as quickly as possible because you start losing fat content as soon as it thaws. It's also overwhelmingly rich, and you really can't eat more than a couple of ounces at a time without feeling ill.

I recommend trying it all if you get the chance, and yeah the Costco offers are some of the highest quality you can get in the US outside of specialty butchers.

...I've never tried the Costco offerings, but am very familiar with the Snake River Farms American Wagyu products, and I would have to say all their beef exceeds Prime. There are several domestic providers offering American Wagyu, but Buyer Beware: the meat and seafood industry is rife with shady actors and practices that skirt the edges of ethics by exploiting "marketing labels" and the ignorance of the buying public. Restaurants are the worst.

ob21 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 1, 2021