Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MazelTovCocktail posted:

There is also an Alien RPG that Free League Press put out.

The RPG has a bit of clunky stuff (vehicle combat), but I’ve really enjoyed it. Combat is loving brutal and usually quick. It’s very high risk/reward gameplay.

I played a few short (2-3 session ea) encounter this past year, and it can be a ton of fun just playing as the low key mechanic or grunt or whatever who usually isn’t the center of attention, but lives in the space of ultimately checking the player or character who goes off the deep end. Or who just fixes engines and stuff and avoids dying via being useful but a coward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

fknlo posted:

My mom wasn’t feeling well last night, thought she had heartburn. Her husband woke up to her barely breathing and unresponsive this morning. They think she had a heart attack but they’re running tons of tests. She’s still unresponsive though so that’s not a good sign. I was going to drive the 11 hours home but as I was driving past the airport I figured I’d check for a flight and got one. I couldn’t book online so I naturally had to pay extra and the person got my last name and birthday wrong. I’m glad I didn’t try to go through security first. I have to sit here for a few hours but I’ll get there about 3 hours sooner.

That sucks and sounds really hard. I think you made the right call flying. Not just for speed, but because driving long distance while stressed out sucks is not the safest option.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/vice/status/1445443679703879687?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Internet Wizard posted:

The problem with doing that any time the Uighurs come up is that it’s using whataboutism to say that it’s totally fine for China to be committing genocide.

That is one hell of an inflammatory stretch.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

*remembers Boebert is his rep*

Hold on, let me go piss in the wind...

Hey, just cage it as jingoistic America First isolationism. Know your audience!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The sad thing is, judging from some of the people I've encountered, it really isn't.

Ascribing to anyone and everyone the example of worst possible argument made by the worst folks you know is inflammatory nonsense and a shortcut to avoid a real discussion.

A lot of people mad about Uyghurs don’t give a single gently caress about them, they just hate China and are natuonalist Americans or other Westerners, but if I by rote ascribed that motivation to anyone arguing for the wellbeing of Uyghurs, I would be spouting inflammatory bullshit.

It’s also easy to just declare that someone has only one motivation without evidence.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Show me where I actually did this, instead of merely pointing out that there are in fact really terrible people who do make the worst possible argument.

I didn’t say you did that. I said it was inflammatory for Internet Wizard to say that Up the Bum was posting that he is totally fine with China committing genocide.

I do disagree with saying that guilt by similarity with the worst takes is a valid excuse for assuming the worst of views you disagree with.

IW is doing the lazy thing of accusing someone else of only caring about one topic while he wisely cares about lots of topics. He has zero evidence that Up the Bum doesn’t care about China’s actions.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Edit: didn’t F5 in time.

Internet Wizard posted:

“Cops kill too many black folk”-“what about black on black crime”

“Proud boys are violent terrorists who murder people”-“what about the time Richard Spencer got punched”

Those are examples of the most plainly obvious domestic US policy troll talking points. Your response examples are bad actors, to be sure, but that does not mean the response on any topic is inherently what aboutism to be ignored.

It really is a bit different when discussing areas you can directly take action versus issues where you largely cannot. A state/local coal CEO (or policy maker on coal) does not get to rail about a foreign country’s coal all day then use “ah, but what aboutism” to shut up his detractors for his own coal company tearing off mountain tops in his home state.

Lots of much more nuanced conversations could be derided as what aboutism if you label anything that might potentially appear as “what about” as rhetorically the same (low) value.

Here are examples of using the what about frame to unfairly diminish real discussions:

“murder is disproportionately affecting the poor and minorities and largely being perpetrated with handguns.” What about lawful self defense uses?

“We should get our neighbors to waste less household food ” What about industrial level carbon usage and pollution driven by our city, state, and national policies?

The above are examples of where there is a very real conversation and discussion of complex issues, but it can be convenient to deride whichever side opens their mouth second in a conversation as the “what about” crowd.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is one of the reasons we have a bill of rights: to help protect us from emotional capriciousness.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/aaronblake/status/1448375753448599554?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/maj_retd_fox/status/1448953316378091520?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jackmurphyrgr/status/1449051534076022788?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Man dies in 180 mph collision with wall despite wearing seatbelt!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hopefully it’s already written, cause 95 years old is approaching near-daily coin-toss levels of age.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
One of my friends is a defense lawyer who frequently argues at the level of the state supreme court.

A significant portion of their job is getting questionable science, algorithms, proprietary tech, etc thrown out or ay least made available for review by the defense as opposed to hidden for proprietary reasons while a private company paid by prosecutors says “trust us, this data is awesome.” They not infrequently have to find a method or metaphor that is sufficiently technical not to be dismissed as BS but sufficiently folksy to get through to juries.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1450501995853459466?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/abcactionnews/status/1450402594418008064?s=21

impressive writing style they got there

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If he goes full GOP it makes it potentially much harder to do very basic things like appoint a judge. Not like SCOTUS but just any ole judge.

The dude is pretty annoying, but losing him hurts functional government process worse than drat near any other D senator.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
On the one hand, the actor is not the person in charge of firearm safety on the set. On the other, Baldwin was a co-producer and holds a leadership role in the film production company reaponsible for hiring and overseeing safety folk.

Still waiting for something more concrete as there’s a lot of unsourced rumor stuff.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

Nope, it's a racist dogwhistle. Because every time that person says "absent father" they imagine a black man.

Precisely. They do not mean a white collar white dad who visits once a month. They mean “those people.”

They can cynically use a veneer of deniability through studies showing that, shock, kids do better with functioning parental relationships and because there are people of color who are advocates for good fatherhood, which cynical racists can try to wear like a fig leaf.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I somehow got just past Bombadil out of forewarning that he sucked, and then I quit after Bombadil because the rest was also boring.

Liked those movies though, good job Peter!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I really liked Dune and got through like 3 of them pretty happily but also that was about 21-23 years ago, so my memory is beyond hazy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The policy is you have to be a member, but enforcement varies. And depending on tour state you can say you’re there to buy stuff your state won’t allow costco to make members-only (alcohol, Rx) and then sneak over to the food court.

So basically YMMV, but if you like playing weird exception to rules games with workers, you can probably get a cheap hot dog.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
His perpetual defense is “ah ha, here is one of my tweets where I say Trump is not very good!” followed by countless interviews implying that the only thing worse than Trump is everyone else.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
He could’ve mocked MY for like 100+ dumbass MY hot takes, but he chose eating Doritos?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Still hoping the unions throw Baldwin out, revoke his SAG card, some kind of industry punishment for his own negligence.

Why?

It’s a really hardline precedent for a labor union to kick people out and (I imagine) opens them up to a legal dispute. Incidents like this are among the reason labor unions exist. It would be a different story if Baldwin hunted down and murdered a person, but his behavior as an actor with the forearm sounds like it was not terribly out of line with how other actors have performed when they had a competent crew.

If we find direct safety cuts originate from Baldwin as producer, that’s a different overarching story, but still labor union expulsion is a big deal.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It would weaken the entire union to argue that anyone who both produces and acts in the same production forfeits their membership if there is a safety incident.

It would also weaken the whole union to tell actors that they will be expelled if, even after an armorer and/or prop master prepares and clears a prop weapon or other special effect device, the actors are not also clearing and and certifying the safety, independently.

Some unions are next-level to the point of being bad and liars (lookin’ at cop unions), but unions have to defend unlikeable asses like Baldwin rather than weaken the union’s protections of decent workers. There are means to improve future safety on work sites other than throwing away worker protections and representation.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

Maybe they could throw him out of the union for hiring scabs.

That would make more karmic sense than going after the actor for safety, but also (probably) doesn’t pass legal muster.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ositanwanevu/status/1453836111365685251?s=21

I have terrible news: this guy may well be right, ref “best in generations.”

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
My neighborhood’s trick or treat hours are four hours(!), and I hate to be a real old man scrooge but four hours of your neighbors bothering you is a lot of weekend.

A perverse incentive not to run to the store again to make sure we don’t run out of candy.