Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I was about to say that this would be the perfect time for Russian hackers to attack Facebook, but why would they do that given its value to them? They're probably the first people Zuck backchanneled to fix the problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Most cages have decent locks on them

"I'm the LockPickingLawyer and today..."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm so proud of myself that I only recognize like three names on that list and watch *absolutely none of them*.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ded posted:

asmongold (prolific shitposter), shroud (true pro elite gamer), and amauranth (bikini hot tub streamer)

:haw:

Forsen, shroud, and pokimane for me. I think I used to watch clips of shroud playing PUBG about two years ago until I finally told the YouTube algorithm to stop suggesting it. I only know pokimane because she was in Free Guy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Stravag posted:

How was that movie?

Remarkably better than expected. Actually has an interesting point to make about toxic gaming.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've neither seen nor heard of Congo, but after those clips it's now on my queue for the weekend.

Wait until you see how easy it is to easily decoy MANPADs! :shepface:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

No matter how many piggy tales I read, it's still just stunning to me that you can staff an entire police force with people who are okay with abusing children.

Being an unrepentant sociopath is kind of a bullet point they look for.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

You could even call it the Cornerstone of their beliefs :v:

More like the Auction Stone of their beliefs. :jerkbag:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Way out:
California passes an identical law to ban guns.
SCOTUS demolishes it.
Entire legal system loses last vestige of legitimacy.

Never forget that gun control in CA is rooted in disarming minorities and discouraging them from legal gun ownership and not bothering "decent white folks law abiding citizens." They sure do love making it *inconvenient* to own guns, but again, that's just so "the right sort" go through the rigmarole.

CA might pride itself on being the state whose laws and policies the rest of the country "catches up to," but it's way more likely NY does what you're forecasting first.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

No one's ever going to accuse me of being a Maoist, but tracking down this article, it never explicitly says "final solution to the Taiwan question."

It does have the term "final solution" in it, and "Taiwan question" is mentioned *nine times* in total within the copy, though. The rhetoric is inflammatory enough without conjuring Nazis.

Article link: https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202110/1236157.shtml

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 13, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Coming Soon, to a Former Colony Near You!" :shepface:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Kongsberg: Several killed in Norway bow and arrow attack https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58906165

Prepare to see this url a lot in bad faith arguments about guns in the years to come.

Honestly to kill a bunch of people with bows and arrows the person has to have some Rambo tier poo poo/skill they have or it’s a crossbow.

See, if every Norwegian had a slingshot this wouldn't have happened.

(yes I know Joerg is German)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CainFortea posted:

I went to go find the title Taken was released under in the philippines to make a word play joke. But it was boringly released as "Taken"

You'd think it'd be entitled "A Totally Typical Tuesday" or something.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, don't worry, eventually they'll figure out some quasi-legal way to use Selective Service to FORCE every American to toil for a pittance in service of the Almighty Number. We've always been at war with East Lazyia.

Constitutionality? Feh!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Best Friends posted:

Except Biden pulling out of Afghanistan. They were very mad about that.

"Couldn't you have waited just long enough for me to enjoy another Evil Christmas and Bacchanalian New Year paid for with MIC blood money?" :mad:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

WMATA was designed for the DC area in the 1970s/early 80s, and rather than work *around* that, all they've done is add new stations and recently, added a whole new LINE that shares the oldest track in the system, increasing congestion when things are working *right* and only hastening track fatigue and equipment failure.

It's a miracle MORE people haven't died on Metro.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Can't wait for the Civil War episode where all the Confederates are played by black comedic actors just to maximize the :rant:-ing from the Lost Causers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

RuPaul for Robert E. Lee. And let him design his own uniform.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I agree, make ever confederate a LGTBQ POC for maximum outrage.

Jussie Smollett for Nathan Bedford Forrest, then. Even if it's just a bit role.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

There's a reason that school districts in the US have CEOs. And no, the "E" does not stand for "Education" even though they could retool it, change nothing about the position, and hide behind a meaningless word.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

With regards to open source information, every three months or so, Google yourself. You're looking for people directory listings. Most of them have semi-easy or more convoluted processes to have yourself and your info removed from their database.

The sleaziest of them will hint that you MIGHT have poo poo like an arrest record or active warrants out against you, but that's always behind the paywall.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

January 2023: Democrats everywhere are despondent after newly reinstated Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announces that he will refuse to hold a vote on the replacement for recently deceased Justice Breyer, stating that it is an election decade and that the voters should decide which 30-year old Liberty University law graduate should assume their position on the nation’s highest court once they’ve finished their internship with the Heritage Foundation.

I would say "don't forget Regent University Law School," but Pat Robertson committed the mortal sin of NOT claiming the election as fraudulent and even said Trump was "living in an alternate reality." :ohdear:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

https://defector.com/42-seconds-after-this-photo-was-taken-police-shot-peyton-ham-dead/

This happened less than 50 miles from me. If the local DC Area news reported it, it was for a single day, tops.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ataxerxes posted:

No way those clowns will spend the money on actually secure systems.

Of course they won't. They *want* to be attacked. Anything to feed the persecution/martyr complex.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Sounds like it might have been a Brandon Lee situation. gently caress having someone point a gun at you, regardless of 'blanks'.

The fact that it was a cinematographer and not a co-star during filming suggests Baldwin might've been loving around. It's a western as well, which suggests revolvers, not semi-autos.

I also wonder if, given his very vocal politics, someone on set switched out the prop gun for a real one, and no one checked beforehand. I'm not putting real weight behind that speculation, though.

There is a very real chance Baldwin eats a negligent manslaughter charge for even pointing a prop gun at someone and discharging it, thinking it was "fake."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 22, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sure, but I'm wondering how the second person got shot, unless they were standing beside or over the woman who got killed.

It's actually kind of reassuring we DON'T know anything definitive yet past the fact that "it happened," because it means people are doing their jobs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

But hey at least if we can all get machine guns again, there will be some upside. :v:

Even if this DID happen, it'd likely be preceded by an astonishingly high hike in the cost of the tax stamp as a gating method.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Only "evangelicalogic" I can see around sports buffs is that it's a form of idolatry.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Suicide is a crime though. No getting to your reward early.

Stupid death cult with suicide restrictions.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/580534-i-dont-believe-in-god-can-you-understand-that-look

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

That Works posted:

Lawyer buddy of mine said it wasn't too unusual. If it was a case of trying to determine who killed X, then X is the victim and the murderer's identity is in question. If its a case of self-defense (presumed or otherwise) then leading with them as "victims" has some prejudice.

"Decedent" would be my fall back term, since it just means "a person who died." If the judge pushes back on *that*, he's clearly biased for the defendant.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's... marginally better than originally reported.

Still not good.

It's not the first bone the judge has thrown to the defense: https://newsone.com/4239432/kyle-rittenhouse-murder-trial-judge/

And yes, I've already checked to see if the judge is related to Rick Schroder, who posted Rittenhouse's bail. Different spellings, seemingly not related.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

You can take the flu and COVID vaccines in close proximity or even with each other.

There's even talk that as soon as next year there could be an mRNA vaccine that covers COVID, RSV, and the flu all-in-one.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

Someone mentioned the VA governor’s race, anyone local have thoughts on what’s going on there? I’m suddenly getting a pile of fundraising emails about how close Mcauliffe and the actual, literal ghoul are polling.

TL;DR: It's a clusterfuck.

It's effectively a race within the margin of error and, being a VA resident, I'm just assuming Youngkin is going to win. Even up here in Northern VA, I'm seeing more Youngkin signs than McAuliffe ones.

McAuliffe hosed almost every aspect of his campaign up. It's like he picked up Hillary's 2016 playbook and thought "I can't lose!" :downs:

Both candidates have been publicly and enthusiastically fellating whatever cops will endorse them, Terry seems to be squigged out by trans people, and nearly every McAuliffe "vote for me" ad until recently didn't feature him actually speaking to the voters.

Youngkin clearly wants to rob the state blind but he's winning the "he seems like such a nice man" race, whereas McAuliffe is running again because like Richard Gere in Officer and a Gentleman, he's got nowhere else to go.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 28, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Whoops, meant to edit, not quote. -_-

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hexyflexy posted:

This is you. This is you on.. I have no idea but whatever the crap it is I hope I never do that by accident.

90s vs. "recently":

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

The fliers and canvases I'm getting aren't even telling me to vote McAuliffe. They're literally just saying "please vote". Strong "please clap" energy.

The only time I get fired up to vote is when I see the attack ads about how McAuliffe will make school nurses vaccinate kids with critical race theory.

It also doesn't help that both candidates are pulling the "Coke machines in the cafeteria" trick, promising poo poo that will almost definitely take longer than their fixed four year term* to implement.

* for those who aren't aware, governors can't run for a consecutive term in Virginia - they have to wait four years. It sucks and leads to governors who have no investiture in the state because they don't have to worry about re-election, only what to do *next* with the earned political capital of an election victory.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

With rooms this tiny, I bet the sounds would bleed through headphones connected to the laptop and there really isn't room for a TV

It's essentially fine for short durations, or in certain cultures like cruise ships or sea/military deployments. But in a dorm? Might as well mandate vitamin D prescriptions with a side of marinol. Can't even smoke weed in those rooms since there's nowhere for the smoke to go!

This reminds me of my "college search" days back in the late 90s. I got roped into looking at Lynchburg College in *Lynchburg, VA* because they were offering a full ride (which made my mother all :swoon:) and they rather proudly showed off their dorm rooms...which looked like prison cells. There was a single window that was SMALLER than the one shown in this image, the cinder block walls were coated and painted *dental white* and lit with phosphorescent light...

I just peaced out of the tour right then and there. It was bad enough that Lynchburg also hosts Liberty University, and walking around the downtown area at 6pm was the eeriest feelings I've ever had as the you could hear a goddamned pin drop for how quiet it was save for the gentle 'whoosh' of passing cars.

I also turned down Villanova because we were told that because of a housing shortage, "singles were doubles, doubles were triples, triples were quads, and quads are Walmarts."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The only way an entirely interior dorm room would work is if at least one wall featured an OLED screen that could function as a virtual window, and even then, you're trusting that teenagers aren't going to damage it.

This is just another example of "I'm rich, so that means I'm kinda-sorta an expert in everything." :smug:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That’s funny considering all the new dorms and poo poo they built (I live pretty close).

Well, this was back in 1998-ish. I assume they've gotten their poo poo together since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Loudoun County truly is a land of contrasts. It's an enormous swath of land that encompasses Potomac River plantations mega-mansions, vineyards that double as tax shelters, "OG" settlers who bought/inherited their ranch homes built in the 70s/80s and now think they're land barons with the appreciation of land pricing in the DC area (a bit like people in Palo Alto who bought back in the same time period), and for those who live past Leesburg, an unhealthy cadre of :tinfoil: :rant: types who feel they're been IGNORED FOR FAR TOO LONG! :jerkbag: