Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Can someone explain the red hair thing though still lost on that bit

As per the writer, it's supposed to represent his anger. But you can just as easily read it as him deciding to clean up before meeting his daughter, but feeling so disconnected and defeated that he absolutely does not care and just simply adopts the first look he sees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Why not red hair?

Also, some squids are red. :thunk:

E: perhaps it's a red herring! :rimshot:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Just pretend everything after the mother dying was a bad dream.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I had some thoughts on the ending. Obviously this is a big fan-ficcy, but minor things that I think would have improved it.

Okay, so let's say everything happens the same all the way up to the old man's bet about the freezing homeless man. I would have preferred if the main character had a jolt of compassion and realized that he had to stop participating in the "system" (including playing another game set up by this horrible dude). I would have liked him to just leave the building and be the person who actually goes and saves the dying man, winning the bet in the process.

Now, let's change the very end to cap off the series instead of teasing a second season. We could just end it there on a hopeful note that, with Gi-Hun's compassion as an example, society may someday rise above the crooked form it's in right now. Or, let's double down on the dark satire: Let's show that the cop survived or his notes and evidence made their way to the right people. Have a dark ending where the public finds out about all the atrocities of the game and the people running it, and yet do nothing, instead thinking it's a good idea and Squid Game suddenly gets an influx of new contestants and spin-off games.

I think either of those possibilities would have been more interesting than the conventional revenge story sequel-bait we got that kinda loses the allegory it was going for.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Can someone explain the red hair thing though still lost on that bit

It's pretty easy if you know anything about Korean culture.

After he won the Squid game, he joined a Kpop boy band as the bad boy. That's what he's been doing in the intervening year and also why there are so many seemingly "loose threads" like why he didn't go to the orphanage earlier or see his daughter earlier: it's because he was on tour.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

going personally to save the freezing man is the predictable expected thing

not doing so breaks the audience expectation

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

punk rebel ecks posted:

This show so horrible for some many reasons:
  • Why are the games so unfair? These rich assholes are giving these desperate people no chance succeed.

• Why is Ali seems like he's obsessed with pleasing everyone and integrating into Korean society? He's too naive.

• I don't understand the significance of the old man joining the games for the thrill if he was never in any real danger. I mean these games aren't fun for the contestants, participating in them is a nightmare. Yet the old man thinks the games are fun and that he's winning due to his own merit despite organizing and cheating in them.

• Why did Gi-hun become a little bitch and become so depressed for a year after the game? He won. What was there to be depressed about?

• Why did these people even participate in these games if they knew they had such a high likelihood of dying? It makes zero sense and the show gives no explanation for this.

Seriously, I just don't get this show at all.

Late because I just finished this, but well done my friend

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the old man isnt dead and is going to reappear to say he won the bet and the freezing man and the lady helping him were paid actors

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

$40 million isn't enough to enter the ranks of the mega rich, but it's a hell of a lot more than even a prosperous working class lifestyle. It's not enough to make someone a global elite, but you can absolutely become a local elite, and the posters here really undersell what shits the local elite can be. It's enough to make rape cases and "accidental" hit and run cases disappear in the local town or small city. While it can't buy large amounts of national power, it can absolutely bend the ear of the mayor and the state representative. And as Texas and other places show, state representatives can greatly change the quality of life for people in their state, even if they don't have the reach of Federal government. The posters here really undersell what it means to be a local elite and being able to push every local and regional politician to show up at the local Eagle scout ceremony just because your son is part of it. The local gentry can't compare to the wealth of the true lords of parliament, but there's still a obvious gap between the middle class and local gentry.

It goes struggling > comfortable > local elite > global elite, and the squid games absolutely award enough money to jump up to local elite.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 28, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I thought the grand prize was only $85,000 US after conversion? That isn't exactly much to retire on.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Re Cop Plot and VIP, assuming he does indeed come back for season 2, the fact that he knows the VIPs face would almost certainly play a factor in how they attack the games. If anything I'd expect the cop to show up in that VIPs home or lair, probably to the surprise of his brother at a very opportune time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I thought the grand prize was only $85,000 US after conversion? That isn't exactly much to retire on.

The grand prize was around 45 billion won, which is 38 million USD

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/09/29/how-much-is-squid-games-45-billion-won-prize-in-dollars/

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Can't believe everyone killed each other for the price of a single big mac

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I'd kill for a Big Mac right now

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I took the red hair in stride as kind of a nouveau riche idiot thing, where Gi-hun finally took to spending the money and figured getting dumb hair was something rich people do.

Definitely for the first two or three episodes I was like "this is alright, looks really nicely filmed/costumes/decor but I can take it or leave it". I think it was the marbles episode where I really got into it.

Even though it was very telegraphed I was super sad to see Sae-byok die. The homecoming was super sad too, but past that it was eating me up that Gi-hun just spends a year moping as a bum while completely ignoring Sae-byok's little brother and Sang-woo's mother, let alone his own daughter. Like yeah, you went through some poo poo, but there's a little boy whose only link to his family just disappeared forever, you gently caress.

Overall a good time was had, but I don't think I want a second season nor have much hope for it being good.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I would bet sprinkled into the red hair decision is they were probably hoping it would make him look cool and iconic or something. Probably didn't work very well.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

davidspackage posted:

I took the red hair in stride as kind of a nouveau riche idiot thing, where Gi-hun finally took to spending the money and figured getting dumb hair was something rich people do.

Definitely for the first two or three episodes I was like "this is alright, looks really nicely filmed/costumes/decor but I can take it or leave it". I think it was the marbles episode where I really got into it.

Even though it was very telegraphed I was super sad to see Sae-byok die. The homecoming was super sad too, but past that it was eating me up that Gi-hun just spends a year moping as a bum while completely ignoring Sae-byok's little brother and Sang-woo's mother, let alone his own daughter. Like yeah, you went through some poo poo, but there's a little boy whose only link to his family just disappeared forever, you gently caress.

Overall a good time was had, but I don't think I want a second season nor have much hope for it being good.

I mean, yeah it sucks but gi-hun probably has some severe ptsd at the least.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Money doesn't make you a better person. Gi-hun's selfishness made him ignore his daughter before he had millions and right when he was going to see her to try and fix things he got distracted again

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can confirm that Jeju island is very nice.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The game just broke Gi-hun even more than he already was. The money sure didn't solve anything for him, and the experience only traumatized him more letting him slide into a different kind of obsession/addiction, but it sure didn't help him get over his poo poo.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Winning at capitalism isn't actually winning.

If he'd have gone to see his daughter, the moral standing of the show would be quicksand.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

are you winning son

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I'd be down to watch a sequel to this story, but I think the real money will be in retelling the story in its own cinematic universe, where a version of the games occur on every continent and/or several countries, using the childhood games existing there.

Perhaps the real squid game is signing up to be in a show, and finding out if you get to be one of the stars or just die off on screen.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

the real squid game is the friends we lost along the way

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
this thread has become sicker and more depraved than the squid games themselves. mods?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Squid Games/Guns Akimbo crossover where they help each other end both death game organizations. Gi-Hun provide the cash, Guns Akimbo provides the gunning.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

All you guys’ theories about the sequel are making me laugh because the creator said he has no idea what he wants the next iteration to be like, he’s making it up on the fly because this was so successful

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It should follow the Hunger Games model. S2 is the squid game but wackier and Frontman is in it. S3 Gi Hun is using advanced red light green light gameplay tips to bring down the system and hurling marbles at helicopters.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

S2 will be the same thing except this time it's on a peninsula.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!

Inner Light posted:

All you guys’ theories about the sequel are making me laugh because the creator said he has no idea what he wants the next iteration to be like, he’s making it up on the fly because this was so successful

Yes, this is the thread to talk about that

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i want squid game but in a different country so we get to see kick the can but the can explodes sometimes, ball in a cup (the cup will kill you if you miss it), i spy (or lose an eye), with the final game with our last two players being pat-a-cake.... to the death :devil:

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I'd be cool with other countries as long as it remains rooted in a distinctly Korean vision. Japan or China would be cool but I feel (know) that would be an international incident so a softer target like the US would be good. Korea has a complicated relationship with the US, especially as it relates to the false promises of capitalism and the failures of communism.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Welcome to the American squid games. The first game is called, machine-gun Kindergarten

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The next season is probably staying in Korea for the continuing adventures of Gi Hun. Really doubt they put him in a new country. But I can definitely see spinoffs in other countries that the original creator of the show has nothing to do with.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

The next season is probably staying in Korea for the continuing adventures of Gi Hun. Really doubt they put him in a new country. But I can definitely see spinoffs in other countries that the original creator of the show has nothing to do with.

OK wet blanket saying what will happen and be bad.

Let us dream while things are still limitless.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

squid game antarctica. the first game is just 'survive getting mauled by these four polar bears we let loose into the arena'. :v:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

squid game north korea

since the show reminded me so much of north korea

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I like the idea that someone had where gi hum is trying to do the shogo kawada and trying to bring the game down from the inside so he recruits people before it starts, but then is immediately killed in the first game and they have to figure it out on their own

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The final episode will have someone as the top boss with the most fancy mask and quote this post, gi hun will end the show wearing that mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Since the first season had legally distinct from Darth Vader, the second season will have legally distinct from Darth Maul. Or, in a more controversial twist, legally distinct from Gremloids.