Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I see liberals' obsession with "data science" and I'm reminded of the apocryphal story of the barbarians storming the imperial palace in Rome, to see with shock that instead of preparing a defense, the courtiers were playing tarot cards and telling each others' fortunes.

Dems are hosed and they know it lol

https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/1446479433825611785

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

David Shor is a racism dial guy who's convinced that the reason Dems are losing is because poor people and minorities hate things like labor rights, abortion, defunding the police, and letting immigrant enter the US. His prescription for Democratic success is that the Dems should stop letting wealthy billionaires drag them left, and instead embrace a new moderate right-populism based around welfare for white people, big tax cuts, and patriotic support of law enforcement and the military. In his eyes, issues like climate change, unions, and LGBT rights have no place in Democratic platforms, which should never even mention those issues until the Dems have attained a solid supermajority.

People have been debating various interpretations of that in USNews, and obviously my own interpretation of his stance is fairly uncharitable, but the thing that strikes me the most when I read anything he says is how much it reminds me of New Democrat ideology. The whole concept of "social issues are unpopular, so we have to pretend not to support them, and then try to sneak them in as part of other bills after we win" is straight out of the 90s Dem excuse notebook.

Haha wow, Ezra left out quite a bit here lol. The thing I realize from reading about both Shor and his opponents in the article above is that they're all at least partially right in their diagnosis - the Democratic tent is so big that some of these things are probably true for a lot of their voters. But like you said, Shor's prescription is warmed-over DLC material. But everyone else has it wrong, too. You want to increase turnout based on excitement about key issues? How's that working out when your own caucus vetoes all of that stuff? Then there's the people openly admitting that all they can do is to get people to come out against Trump, basically admitting that they're entirely out of ideas. And they're probably right about that, the internal contradictions of the Democratic party are really coming to light, and it's interesting to see this realization dawn on liberals like Ezra Klein.