Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Pussy Snorkel posted:

tl;dr

Edit: On a serious note, though, honestly, the game definitely has issues and needs to do something to motivate flagging - at any level - because the current offering isn't cutting it.

Edit edit: Honestly, "fair" PVP really needs flat progression, or micro-percentage progression like EVE as you mentioned. Something like Guild Wars really comes to mind, where getting to max level (20) really is part of the tutorial, and the rest is expanding your options with skills and whatnot. This game could never accomplish that given its design from the start.

The idea that you can bribe someone who wants a chill experience picking flowers into flagging for pvp is loving hilarious, and it’s why none of the ideas here will work. Pvp flagging is antithetical to the reason they play the game. They won’t care about the reward you put in front of them, and if you force it they’ll just stop playing.

This is also why I knew this game would be a huge loving mess years ago back when they made the shift to having more stuff for pve people. The goons who played in the alpha knew it too, that’s why they stopped posting about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Being able to push the territory closer to war would be a fine enough reason for me to flag, except the odds of me completing any PvP missions are slim to none since even in low level zones there's level 60s who will just two shot me and I'll fail the mission. :shrug: If I actually had something resembling a chance of killing them, I'd flag. I say this as someone who's overwhelming interest in most MMOs is PvE, but a good chunk of that is because most MMOs have hot garbo world PvP and merely OK instanced PvP. The more MMOs I play, the more convinced I am that it is almost impossible to have excellent PvE AND excellent PvP. You can have one, or the other. Like I said, when I hit 60 or maybe even mid-50s I'll probably flag, but until then there's little reason to do so.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 24, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The idea that you can bribe someone who wants a chill experience picking flowers into flagging for pvp is loving hilarious, and it’s why none of the ideas here will work. Pvp flagging is antithetical to the reason they play the game. They won’t care about the reward you put in front of them, and if you force it they’ll just stop playing.

This is also why I knew this game would be a huge loving mess years ago back when they made the shift to having more stuff for pve people. The goons who played in the alpha knew it too, that’s why they stopped posting about it.

They ignored all the beta testers, and this is what you get. With no monthly sub they got a poo poo ton of buys. They made their money. AGS seems just as bad as CIG, and they both use the same engine. hmm

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

FrostyPox posted:

Being able to push the territory closer to war would be a fine enough reason for me to flag, except the odds of me completing any PvP missions are slim to none since even in low level zones there's level 60s who will just two shot me and I'll fail the mission. :shrug: If I actually had something resembling a chance of killing them, I'd flag. I say this as someone who's overwhelming interest in most MMOs is PvE, but a good chunk of that is because most MMOs have hot garbo world PvP and merely OK instanced PvP. The more MMOs I play, the more convinced I am that it is almost impossible to have excellent PvE AND excellent PvP. You can have one, or the other. Like I said, when I hit 60 or maybe even mid-50s I'll probably flag, but until then there's little reason to do so.

There's no reason to do anything in this capital simulator except to own a town and make everyone else serfs. The breakdowns in this thread show it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Barreft posted:

There's no reason to do anything in this capital simulator except to own a town and make everyone else serfs. The breakdowns in this thread show it.

This is true, and I will happily contribute to owning towns at 60 since it's extraordinarily difficult to do so before then.

The thread is one of the best parts of the game, though. Some quality meltdowns, and I'm sure there are more to come. :allears:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Honestly the most fun I've had in this game was when purple was shifting influence on brightwood to declare war, and maybe a dozen other covenant folks headed into the woods to stop them. Running through the fog in the dark, hearing the sounds of fighting and heading towards them to even out an unfair fight or turn a fair one to our advantage. A good hour of mixed skirmishing in the woods with strangers of all levels, it was loving awesome. I can't help but think that if all of the covenant sweaties had come too instead of focusing on turning in quests en masse to push influence in another zone we could have had hours of full scale war raging through the forest, with all of the tactical technicalities of small groups of purples trying to focus on turning the quests and us trying to run them down. There's a lot of fun to be had with the PvP in this game, and if you're into it participation is reward enough. It also gives a truckload of weapon experience.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

They should remove gear breaking from pvp deaths

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.
One thing Outpost Rush taught me, in all 3 matches that we managed to get in before they decided that it was still too broken, is that light armor 0 con glass cannons are not the way to go and there is a pretty large difference between a level 60 and a level 60 with 570+ gear score armor/jewelry.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Can EU players play on the US servers?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
yeah and it's pretty common

I had one friend who couldnt tolerate the latency of playing on EU from US but most people don't consider it that bad I think, there are several from EU in my guild

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

As a pve player I would be perfectly happy to let flagged people get +33% exp and better luck rolls. No skin off my back. I would not be happy getting bumped off a node, go gently caress yourself.

My question is, why arent there straight up full/partial loot always on pvp servers? The game just auto flags you for pvp when you leave town then unflags you when you go in. this seems like it would be super easy to implement and everyone would be happy. If theres enough demand, roll out a free for all non-faction based pvp server too for the real hard core murderer types. DAoC was doing this literally 20 years ago.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I just want to pick flowers and maybe do some PVE support. Is this game for me?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
definitely. lots of flowers to be picked. there's a guy on Reddit who hit level 60 without killing anything

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

How do I join Starfleet Dental? The discord mentions an invite channel but the only channel I see is "public"

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Feliday Melody posted:

group me for flower picking

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Does this game have PVE group content? Do people use it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

How do I join Starfleet Dental? The discord mentions an invite channel but the only channel I see is "public"

Read the topic and pinned messages.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

CLAM DOWN posted:

Read the topic and pinned messages.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Digital Prophet posted:

My question is, why arent there straight up full/partial loot always on pvp servers?

thats how the game was in alpha, but its pretty clear amazon decided that a pivot more towards pve would sell more copies

personally I think they guessed right, the game sold a gently caress of a lot more than anyone expected, including themselves. a lot of people do still want the always-pvp servers or at least specific always-pvp zones and I do think those will come later

Feliday Melody posted:

possibly yeah. gathering and crafting is about 80% of what I do and some people I know are more like 95-100%. a couple of our main logistics people are still around level 40 because most of their game time is spent coordinating what our war guys need

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I just paid my taxes on my home

Just loving lol

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Alright I'm 45 min in and I think I'll take a break until I can find some guild people. I want a feel for this game before I break 2 hours.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Honestly I do wish the game had stayed focused on pvp. It would have sold fewer copies, but it wouldn't be in this weird state it's in right now.

I'm not really even playing the game right now after hitting 60, because grinding watermarks doesn't sound fun and making money isn't really as viable as it was before. Maybe once outpost rush is restored permanently I can play again because that's good money.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Feliday Melody posted:

Alright I'm 45 min in and I think I'll take a break until I can find some guild people. I want a feel for this game before I break 2 hours.

Just refund if you're not enjoying the game much playing solo. If you're looking for group PvE content, this is honestly the wrong game to play. I'd say that the gathering is the highlight of the PvE, but this eventually gets monotonous, and people playing it for that usually quit around lvl 28-32.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Is this a troll, you can’t be this dumb? Read the other pinned messages.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

the whole watermark thing is pretty rough yeah. there are a few extra quirks that make it even dumber that I hope are just bugs but we'll see if they change

weirdly it's the same loot system vermintide 2 had but that is a co-op game you just bomb around in with your pals, there is no pvp whatsoever

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Need band name suggestions ASAP

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Jazzy Jeff and the Property Taxes

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Hy_C posted:

Is this a troll, you can’t be this dumb? Read the other pinned messages.

Al right. It's fine.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

causticBeet posted:

Having levels at all is kinda dumb, but I guess you can’t sell cosmetic sets when the only way to tell a players power level is to look at their gear

Agreed. they have a watermark system and gearscore system like Destiny it would of been more enjoyable if instead of leveling to 60 you just grinded your gearscore up.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Pussy Snorkel posted:

I'm not really even playing the game right now after hitting 60, because grinding watermarks doesn't sound fun and making money isn't really as viable as it was before. Maybe once outpost rush is restored permanently I can play again because that's good money.

Same

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

BadLlama posted:

Agreed. they have a watermark system and gearscore system like Destiny it would of been more enjoyable if instead of leveling to 60 you just grinded your gearscore up.

They just grabbed every system they've seen in any game in the last 5 years, shoved it all together and said "Ta-da!"

There isn't an original thought in the entire thing. Some of the idea they ripped off were good so some parts of the game are good. Some like watermarks don't work at all because they are from completely different styles of coop and mmos.

No, they have no idea how to reconcile these systems because many of them directly conflict with each other.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

They just grabbed every system they've seen in any game in the last 5 years, shoved it all together and said "Ta-da!"

There isn't an original thought in the entire thing. Some of the idea they ripped off were good so some parts of the game are good. Some like watermarks don't work at all because they are from completely different styles of coop and mmos.

No, they have no idea how to reconcile these systems because many of them directly conflict with each other.

As far as I can tell, house rent being every 5 days instead of 7 days or a month or a one time purchase is one of their few original thoughts

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Feliday Melody posted:

You'll have a bad time playing on a west coast server if you're a Euro goon.
East coast servers work fine though.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

the panacea posted:

You'll have a bad time playing on a west coast server if you're a Euro goon.
East coast servers work fine though.

My friend plays with us on us west from thailand and does fine fwiw

Is the Proving Grounds just a little 5v5 arena or something and is it up yet?

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 24, 2021

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Something I just noticed.

When crafting 18 treated wood bows, I some how made a unique version of it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Third World Reagan posted:

Something I just noticed.

When crafting 18 treated wood bows, I some how made a unique version of it.

There's even an achievement for it. I crafted a few while getting weaponsmithing to 100 with iron swords

All of them were worthless

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Things are progressively getting shittier for anyone not 60 yet. Resource nodes are heavily camped and farmed by 60s, no flagging pre-60 unless you want to get wrecked regularly by 60s running around, very few people doing lower level portals (except for bored 60s who solo them) so azoth is a trickle for lower levels, lower level elite quest areas are ghost towns so those quests aren't getting done, lots of companies don't want to pay for town boards unless its an upgrade they need so town boards are mostly empty, some companies have jacked up taxes to try and stem the gold bleeding out.

It's like the slow lovely societal collapse of capitalism going on outside the game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The best place to farm resources, anywhere 30+ since level 60 people are never there.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yup this Saturday peak is down another 100k players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Housing taxes are due every 5 days because Amazon does not want to open the acknowledge the existence of a weekend