Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ASAPI posted:

Is the jury still out on "best builds for x"? I always make dumb choices in character builds because I try to use non video game logic.

The good news is that stat and skill respeccing is completely free, so if you want to mess around with builds that's perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Great Axe is always a good option if you're not at all sure what you want to do. It still feels pretty broken / OP in a lot of scenarios.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

The good news is that stat and skill respeccing is completely free, so if you want to mess around with builds that's perfectly fine.

Stats are free until level 20 and then cost gold (something like 280g at level 40 for me at least), weapons are free until weapon level 10 and then cost azoth (around 100ish?)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dackel posted:

Stats are free until level 20 and then cost gold (something like 280g at level 40 for me at least), weapons are free until weapon level 10 and then cost azoth (around 100ish?)

Well that kind of kicks the "you can level all weapons but your choices are limited by your stats, but you can respec your stats on the fly so it's ok" cover in the teeth.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

CuddleCryptid posted:

Well that kind of kicks the "you can level all weapons but your choices are limited by your stats, but you can respec your stats on the fly so it's ok" cover in the teeth.

Those are both a really small cost especially later.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CuddleCryptid posted:

That's very cheap by the time you're at that level. And usually by that point your gear is going to be contributing a ton to your stats and you're going to be picking your gear based partly on your play style. Compared to a lot of other MMOs I've been around it's a little more flexible to let you remake what you want to do / how you want to play.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://newworldfans.com/builds/wanna-be-paladin-94ad9a

For the goon who was curious about a paladin build for new world. Obviously take everything with a grain of salt in a new game but the poster seems to at least make justifications for their perk choices.

As far as priority for perks, obviously rush to get your your three moves unlocked for each weapon, then just prioritize the passives based on how you're feeling the build needs to be strengthened.

Sink all of your level up points into focus (180), along with enough gear points to hit 195-200 points minimum, and then the rest should be constitution to beef you up. As far as how this works at endgame? Who knows, nobody's had a chance to see how it all works at the endgame.

Alligator Tower
Aug 22, 2004

How long does it take to make a new discord lol

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

ASAPI posted:

Is there a new thread that actually talks about New World?

All I know is I joined a discord server to get a server name. Now there are hundreds of posts about some TT guy who sounds like a turd.

I'm not sure what the walls of text with random screenshots are supposed to sway me to, but ban the guy and start ignoring him already.

Is the jury still out on "best builds for x"? I always make dumb choices in character builds because I try to use non video game logic.

There should be a mirror MMO HMO. Both boards should include the on-topics posts, but only one includes the stupid meta-posts like my own, drama, REEE'ing and witch hunts. That way people who don't care or have better poo poo to do can actually read about the game and those who feel otherwise can roll in the mud.

Personally I'll probably just go somewhere else for game content.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Having three threads with each less than 50 pages was a pretty good indicator already, but I'm still gonna ask as I'm interested in this game: what's the goon consensus on this game? Everything i heard is more or less average but good looking with fun combat. The buy and play until you're done price of 40 is just enough for me to concider spending a few hours in a game, but if it's just bad then of course Ill skip it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I decided to try heavy armor with warhammer/life staff and yep this rules extremely hard. I've barely leveled warhammer at all and I feel unkillable. Tons of grit, debuffs, and CC, and of course I can throw healing all over the place too.

Feels good being able to just facetank a group of open world enemies while my passive healing keeps me topped up.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Son of Rodney posted:

Having three threads with each less than 50 pages was a pretty good indicator already, but I'm still gonna ask as I'm interested in this game: what's the goon consensus on this game? Everything i heard is more or less average but good looking with fun combat. The buy and play until you're done price of 40 is just enough for me to concider spending a few hours in a game, but if it's just bad then of course Ill skip it.

As a non-game haver I'd say that from what I've seen most people that aren't stuck in queue hell will probably get their $40s worth of fun in a month. Whether or not they stick around depends entirely on whether they enjoy the games PVP.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Son of Rodney posted:

Totally worth the $40 in my opinion but given the state of servers like... this week if you're not in already and can only play around primetime for your TZ server I'd suggest waiting a week or so until server queues are less of a problem.

The game is a lot of fun, scratches the major MMO itches mostly in the right places and is worth the price just for that alone.

Downsides to the game right now are definitely the horrible queue times, the bland / generic questing options. The PVP structure is good on paper but I haven't seen it quite play out as well as I was expecting it to in the real game yet, but that could be easily tweaked along the way so less of a pure negative rn imo.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Son of Rodney posted:

Against all odds, it is a fun game. It’s old school in many ways, leveling can be pretty slow, there are definitely bugs, and server queues suck right now.

The core loop is a lot of fun though. Gathering/Crafting looks, sounds, and feels good and makes very useful things. Combat is engaging and active enough that you feel rewarded by being good at it but it’s not trying to tap dance on your keyboard to survive. The sound and visual design is good for the most part other than the starting areas being a little boring and there not being near enough enemy variety.

If the devs scale the servers more and offer good transfers, there will likely be a good bit of people stick around for the first month. If they squash a lot of the bugs out there and roll out good new content, it may have some legs. Total crapshoot though because we have no idea how invested they are in making this work. They may have just wanted to recoup some of the sink cost of their mostly failed game studio or they could want to invest in making this a big hitX

Either way, it’s worth $40. I’d be more leery if there was a sub but there’s more to do in this than a lot of $60 games out there.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Usenet Magic-User posted:

gently caress it playing with goons sounds incredible. I'm totally sold after that last thread. I've been wishing TT got removed from SA ever since he stole the albion guilds gold in a beta that was going to be wiped. Maybe he was the realest goon all along.

Big same lol. That was my moment too.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Silver ingots are severely undervalued right now for something that is a key part of the main quest. I bought the ones I needed for three gold for five. God bless people with more time than sense.

The plants were better, 50 gold a pop, enough that I just got them myself. But they could be five times that and still sell.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Full heavy armor healer feels better than I expected. I might also try going for medium weight at some point with like a couple pieces of heavy and then mix medium/light for the rest of the slots to fall into the medium weight class. Might be able to achieve similar levels of survivability with just a bit more mobility and damage/healing that way.

Also warhammer is way more fun than I expected and I think I like it more than hatchet as a combo with life staff. I've heard it's not very good in PvP but at least in larger-scale PvP I'm sure I'll be mostly a healer there anyway.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ok cool thanks for mini reviews, sounds like something I'd enjoy, so I'll way until next week or so and grab it with a friend :)

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

Harrow posted:

Full heavy armor healer feels better than I expected. I might also try going for medium weight at some point with like a couple pieces of heavy and then mix medium/light for the rest of the slots to fall into the medium weight class. Might be able to achieve similar levels of survivability with just a bit more mobility and damage/healing that way.

Also warhammer is way more fun than I expected and I think I like it more than hatchet as a combo with life staff. I've heard it's not very good in PvP but at least in larger-scale PvP I'm sure I'll be mostly a healer there anyway.

Heavy helm + chest, medium gloves + boots, light pants gives you medium weight just a hair under heavy, and lets you have the most overall armor while staying medium. It has felt good to me so far.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Prel posted:

Heavy helm + chest, medium gloves + boots, light pants gives you medium weight just a hair under heavy, and lets you have the most overall armor while staying medium. It has felt good to me so far.

Perfect, thanks! I'll try that out next time I log on.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Son of Rodney posted:

I just wanted something that would hold my attention until Far Cry and Metroid came out at the end of this week and so far it's been good for that. I can see the huge looming problems on the endgame horizon though so if you're comfortable with a "you'll get about $40 worth of entertainment out of it", probably pull the trigger. If you're looking for the next big thing......unless they pull a really good roadmap out of their rear end, it's probably not this.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Harrow posted:

That's sounds good. I haven't given warhammer a try yet, but reading this might make me give it a try.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pigbottom posted:

That's sounds good. I haven't given warhammer a try yet, but reading this might make me give it a try.

I recommend the right side tree's skills, they're all big AoEs and come with debuffs and stuns/staggers/knockdowns. I imagine the left side does more DPS but when I'm soloing the CC is really nice to give myself room to cast a heal, and I imagine being able to drop a big stun in the middle of a pack when you're doing a dungeon will come in handy.

Feels very paladin, highly recommend

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Harrow posted:

I decided to try heavy armor with warhammer/life staff and yep this rules extremely hard. I've barely leveled warhammer at all and I feel unkillable. Tons of grit, debuffs, and CC, and of course I can throw healing all over the place too.

Feels good being able to just facetank a group of open world enemies while my passive healing keeps me topped up.

Yes! I threw on the warhammer and heavy armor just for fun since I had so much gear from armorsmithing. This is easily my favorite weapon now. Everything just melts in 3 buttons.

Hatchet is great too, but I can't smash faces into the ground with it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really thought I'd be all about rapier and spear in this but when I was playing with those I thought the combat was bad and I wasn't having fun. Warhammer, great axe, and hatchet have all been much more my speed, which is surprising, that's not usually my style. And now warhammer/life staff paladin mode just made things really click and I'm excited to log back on this evening.

I'm forced to conclude the game is fun.

Also warhammer makes really great metallic clang noises when you hit things and that's a great bonus

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Can confirm warhammer is extremely face smashing fun, it makes a great clanging noise when you slam things with it, and half of its attacks are knockdowns or stuns.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
my weapon skills are all over the place, I might just reroll and heavily focus warhammer/life staff this time. at level 18 I don't think I will lose too much

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Demon Of The Fall posted:

my weapon skills are all over the place, I might just reroll and heavily focus warhammer/life staff this time. at level 18 I don't think I will lose too much

You don't have to reroll at all. You can respec your stat points for free at that level, and getting your weapon skills up to a usable level is pretty quick.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Harrow posted:

I really thought I'd be all about rapier and spear in this but when I was playing with those I thought the combat was bad and I wasn't having fun. Warhammer, great axe, and hatchet have all been much more my speed, which is surprising, that's not usually my style. And now warhammer/life staff paladin mode just made things really click and I'm excited to log back on this evening.

I'm forced to conclude the game is fun.

Also warhammer makes really great metallic clang noises when you hit things and that's a great bonus

This was my experience and a recommendation I made before the game launched based on my beta experience: try every weapon to see what you like. Some stuff seems cool on paper or thematically but you might just like other stuff better. I thought I’d play rapier/ice gauntlet and I ended up really hating it and almost not liking the game. Next time I logged in, I tried a spear and honestly could not log off for a couple hours because it was just so fun to use.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Ort posted:

This was my experience and a recommendation I made before the game launched based on my beta experience: try every weapon to see what you like. Some stuff seems cool on paper or thematically but you might just like other stuff better. I thought I’d play rapier/ice gauntlet and I ended up really hating it and almost not liking the game. Next time I logged in, I tried a spear and honestly could not log off for a couple hours because it was just so fun to use.

I think rapier ice gauntlet sucks bigtime PVE but give it a shot in PVP if you haven't.

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

Its all about the Fishing.

Martout posted:

I didn't know TT either but I was very much aware of the Archeage fiasco with fishing pacts, bob from marketing etc. and knowing he was even halfway adjacent to that is a huge yikes

I'd say worth it for the fun meltdown but I guess it depends on how invested you were into his particular company

No the fishing pacts was my big brain idea to the officers in AA. TT had nothing on that one :). I love how people are still up in arms in that one too. It's not like it didn't fund 30 merchant ships, +10 fishing ships, and got the ball rolling on the gear for goons. I also love the fact the very people who complained about it either A. Never did PVP B. Had just come to the server or C. Used it to troll and gas 2 threads after that glorious implosion. So let's get the facts straight shall we and then move on.

1. This is all crap from the past being dragged up conveniently after TT has had the OP for 2+ years without so much as a single voice calling for his head.

2. Most of the people in that convo bringing up the dreaded BFM, Fishing PACT, Albion Gold, or racial slurs, have in fact been guilty of associating with people that use racial slurs, have done shady poo poo themselves, or just hate TT over the years.

3. I also find it fascinating that one of the VERY same guilds that we continued to crush in AA also war dec'd the town right when somebody dragged up this nonsense. Just good Amazing Timing or Luck?

4. Folks should understand the discord needs to be addressed, I'm sure some folks are going to scream about the leadership dont worry we have 2 other companies on the server, more than one leader and plenty of others with experience from Beta.

5. Folks have to make the decision for themselves if they want to quit and not be associated with these companies and that's fine, in the end its a video game.

So here's to another MMO drama to start the week, here's to those that fish non-stop, and most of all here's to us still getting the popcorn out and enjoying the real New World with Old Drama.

P.S Get ready WAR.

JackDRipper fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 4, 2021

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

JackDRipper posted:

No the fishing pacts was my big brain idea to the officers in AA. TT had nothing on that one :). I love how people are still up in arms in that one too. It's not like it didn't fund 30 merchant ships, +10 fishing ships, and got the ball rolling on the gear for goons. I also love the fact the very people who complained about it either A. Never did PVP B. Had just come to the server or C. Used it to troll and gas 2 threads after that glorious implosion. So let's get the facts straight shall we and then move on.

1. This is all crap from the past being dragged up conveniently after TT has had the OP for 2+ years without so much as a single voice calling for his head.

2. Most of the people in that convo bringing up the dreaded BFM, Fishing PACT, Albion Gold, or racial slurs, have in fact been guilty of associating with people that use racial slurs, have done shady poo poo themselves, or just hate TT over the years.

3. I also find it fascinating that one of the VERY same guilds that we continued to crush in AA also war dec'd the town right when somebody dragged up this nonsense. Just good Amazing Timing or Luck?

4. Folks should understand the discord needs to be addressed, I'm sure some folks are going to scream about the leadership dont worry we have 2 other companies on the server, more than one leader and plenty of others with experience from Beta.

5. Folks have to make the decision for themselves if they want to quit and not be associated with these companies and that's fine, in the end its a video game.

So here's to another MMO drama to start the week, here's to those that fish non-stop, and most of all here's to us still getting the popcorn out and enjoying the real New World with Old Drama.

P.S Get ready WAR.

:lmao:

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

JackDRipper posted:

lol. Pretty sure they did this https://clips.twitch.tv/TiredMuddyCougarBloodTrail-i_ONqQLoC8QAJzNY but maybe they did discourage everyone by posting how lovely the leader is on Something Awful Forums.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This game is achingly average and I am not gonna queue up (lol) to play it.
My heart is still open, and I am ready to be proven wrong, and happy to be, if I ever get to play it again :v:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress these threads have almost made up for the bajillion hours in the queue!

I re-rolled on Trapalanda with another Goon, now I have a level 18 on there along with my level 19 on Rollyo. I need to figure out what weapon skills I wanna settle on for these two because so far I've done sword and shield, rapier, musket, bow, ice gauntlet and nothing has really said gently caress yeah to me. Probably gonna try great axe and warhammer tonight, maybe life staff idk. I'm having a ton of fun and the goon drama is just icing on the cake

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

brightwood is creepy as hell and i love it

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

where do i send the butter

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

bagmonkey posted:

Holy gently caress these threads have almost made up for the bajillion hours in the queue!

I re-rolled on Trapalanda with another Goon, now I have a level 18 on there along with my level 19 on Rollyo. I need to figure out what weapon skills I wanna settle on for these two because so far I've done sword and shield, rapier, musket, bow, ice gauntlet and nothing has really said gently caress yeah to me. Probably gonna try great axe and warhammer tonight, maybe life staff idk. I'm having a ton of fun and the goon drama is just icing on the cake

Spear, life staff, and warhammer felt the best and most cohesive to me up to level 10. Axe felt ok, as did sword and shield. If you like the feeling of just chopping your foes up into tiny bits in a frenzy, try hatchet because the melee animations and auto attack sure do deliver.

I also found that once I discovered a main weapon I liked, I enjoyed secondary ones I wasn’t enjoying as much before (bow, musket, etc).

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

bagmonkey posted:

For LS you can do Ice Gauntlet for some AOE CC potential, you can also do spear for some small arm pvp cc or being able to burst down mobs when doing quest etc. GA is just tons of fun, silly damage, good chase, did I mention it does huge amounts of alpha damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

synapse posted:

lol. Pretty sure they did this https://clips.twitch.tv/TiredMuddyCougarBloodTrail-i_ONqQLoC8QAJzNY but maybe they did discourage everyone by posting how lovely the leader is on Something Awful Forums.

They used that bug. However, they waited till AFTER the invasion had started. This way they were able to raise it without us being able to even attempt to counter it. It was not a large amount of people doing the quest.