Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:siren: Buy here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1063730/New_World/ :siren:
Goon Guild info is at the end of this OP

New World is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) developed by Amazon Games Orange County and published by Amazon Games released on September 28, 2021. The game was previously scheduled to release in May 2020 and subsequently August 2021, but was delayed to its current date. Set in the mid-seventeenth century, players colonize a fictional land modeled after the Americas.

Unlike other MMORPGs, New World employs a buy-to-play business model instead of subscription. The game offers microtransactions in the form of skins.

With New World, the studios want players to have the chance to pursue their own path without becoming hopelessly lost. As part of the new onboarding process, Amazon has added a whole new set of missions that takes players through the first ten levels and establishes a number of important gameplay concepts. Players will wash ashore on Aeternum, the mystical island that New World takes place on. These early missions will guide players toward a major settlement in one of the game's territories. These territories are player-controlled, so this is your introduction to the larger PvP conflict in New World.

Characters will be able to use melee attacks, ranged attacks like bows and arrows, and magic-based attacks in New World as well, as well as craft and customize gear. There will be “epic wars with other players” which once again points towards a big focus on PvP. I’m getting a lot of Darkfall vibes from all of the footage and descriptions thus far.

Crafting has been completely overhauled too. In the alpha, New World's crafting system was centered around points you gained as you leveled, which could be spent on new recipes and specializations. Amazon found that while the system had advantages, "it limited people's ability to experience the whole crafting system". Now, crafting is what the team calls a "use to improve" system. As you perform a certain gathering or crafting task, you'll get better at it. You'll become faster at gathering better resources or begin to harvest better resources. For weapon and armorsmiths, you'll be able to specialize in different weapon and armor types, such as becoming a master in making shields.

COMPANY's aka Guilds

The “Company” system is also mentioned, which sounds like the in-game version of player-ran clans, or large guilds. They’ll include not just a way to invite and organize members, but the actual trappings of governmental structures with power organizations, hierarchies of leadership, and a command-line made up of fighters, crafters, traders, and more. This past element is very similar to games like Ultima Online or Legends of Aria, from the sounds of it, especially considering its classless progression system.

As an example, New World has an extensive system for building camps, settlements, and forts. In other survival games like Rust or Ark: Survival Evolved, building things can sometimes be a fool's errand, because when you log back in, your carefully constructed home will be in ruins, picked apart by other players on the server. But Amazon has a solution to this common issue with a system called the War Window. With this, communities can choose when wars happen on their territory—so you don't have to worry about those 3 a.m. raids anymore.

Territories should be changing hands over time though. If player dominance created a situation where one group becomes so dominant on a server that others can't compete. There are mechanics in parts of the faction system that should keep one company from reaching this point.

That said, if you did want to focus on combat, that is also being improved. New World has an active skill-based combat system, as opposed to the stand-and-slash combat of World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy 14. Amazon Orange County has developed a new weapon mastery system in order to add "a lot more strategic depth to the combat." Within a specific weapon, players can choose whether they want to, say, improve the damage or support capabilities of that weapon. If you're using the sword and shield combo, weapon mastery is the difference between a supportive tank and a frontline vanguard fighter.

OUTPOST RUSH

Outpost Rush is a large-scale 20 v 20 PvP (with some PvE thrown in) event available to level 60 players in New World. The game will sometimes pop into a 16 v 16, depending on the queue. Outpost Rush balances resource management, objective control, and building up their forts to withstand assaults from the enemy team.

You can only play a round of Outpost Rush at level 60. Just visit a settlement and find the Outpost Rush NPC and queue up. When the queue is full, the mode will start.

• Each team begins at their home forts.
  • Between the two forts, there are three Outposts that can be captured by either team: Luna, Sol, and Astra.
  • There is a full-on rush as both teams try and capture these Outposts.
  • Holding on to an Outpost will reward points, and killing other players rewards points as well. Whichever team hits 1,000 points first, wins.
  • Rewards for the event come in the form of Outpost Rush cosmetics, and rare items, and armor.

Combat can get real tight around the different Outposts, so it's a good idea to come with a decent PvP build in tow. Here are some of our favorite builds from during the closed beta (we will update with more with the full release.)

There are various different Objectives dotted around the map that can be claimed by either team.

You could defeat Baroness Hain (basically like Baron from League of Legends) which gives you a buff for health regen and defense. She spawns every 10 minutes.
Spend resources to build Turret Emplacements at either home fort and at two of the Outposts. These large defensive structures can be used to shoot approaching enemy players.
Players can take on one of the Corrupted Portals, defeat the enemies there, and deposit Azoth Essence (500 is needed) which can then be used to summon a bunch of Corrupted enemies to send at the opposite team. You just need to head to a Summoning Portal and use the Totem.

If you're not into PvP, there are other ways you can help your team win a round of Outpost Rush. Each Outpost has a variety of upgradeable features, like Gates and Siege Weapons, which will require resources to build.

Both teams will try and control the Outposts in order to win the game. Some members of the team should spend time gathering resources to upgrade the defense of the Outposts, particularly the Gate and Protection Wards that provide a constant buff.

• Gates keep the enemy out and can be upgraded multiple times.
  • The Command Post provides a constant buff of extra armor and damage for players on your team nearby. It can be upgraded a couple of times.
  • Large siege weapons (like massive turrets) can be built on the walls of the Outpost.
  • Protection Wards are the heart of the Outpost, preventing enemy players from claiming the Outpost and providing a respawn point for friendly players.

At each Outpost, there are two structures - The Armory and Storage Sheds - which can be used by whoever controls the Outpost.
  • Storage Sheds are where your team stores your supply of Azoth. Remember, you drop Azoth when you die, so make sure to keep this stocked up if you're about to go into battle. Your team can access it and use those resources to continue upgrading.
  • The Armory is used to spend Azoth in exchange for a bunch of different items, including potions, summoning totems, and foodstuffs, among other things.

INVASIONS
Invasion is the largest PvE experience in New World. This wave-based game mode will see 50 players defend their fort from the onslaught of corrupted enemies sieging the area. Players will have a range of weapons to help them fight off the enemy, with the ultimate test being the Void Destroyer. To win, players will need to hold off the attack for 30 minutes. But if they’re unsuccessful, their territory will be downgraded.

EXPEDITIONS
In the world of Aternum, there are expeditions that groups of five players can embark on. These function similarly to dungeons in other MMOs, but with some added features like puzzles to break up the combat. At the end of these unique instances, there are some of the most challenging bosses New World has to offer. Completing an expedition often requires a balanced party of skilled players with enough damage, tanking, and healing to survive.

WAR
Alongside the massive PvE experience that is Invasion, War is the biggest PvP experience in New World on launch. The 50-vs-50 game mode will function similarly, with the defenders attempting to hold their fort for 30 minutes while attackers look to break down the gates and capture it. Both attackers and defenders have a range of siege weapons to help them in combat. The winner will gain control of the territory.

Should you buy the Deluxe Edition?

Arguably, the most useful item from either the Standard or Deluxe Edition is the Isabella's Amulet item. This is just a straight-up boost for your early game, which will come in handy when you start the grind all over again come August 30. Yep. All the progress you make during the Closed Beta will be wiped, so don't get too attached to your character if you do pre-order.

So, in conclusion: if you want to spend 10 dollars on some exclusive skins, go ahead. But really, there isn't a massive difference between the two, and if you purchase the Standard Edition you won't be missing out on anything too important. You get Isabella's Amulet with both Editions, which is the most important thing. That Mastiff might be kind of cool, though...

Important Links
Server Status: https://www.newworld.com/en-us/support/server-status
Queue Status: https://newworldstatus.com/

How do I play with Goons?

Starfleet Dental [SFD]
Company Names: Starfleet Dentists / Starfleet Orthodontists
Server: NA West - Plancta
Faction: Covenant
Discord/Invites: https://discord.gg/starfleetdental and follow the pinned instructions!

East Coast Goon Conglomerate
Company Names: Communal Unity Movement / Goons in Pantaloons / Aeternum Cruiselines
Server: NA East - Royllo
Discord/Invites: https://discord.gg/Yk5xAH68Hj
:siren::siren::siren: DO NOT join the guild Underpaid Workers Union, it's the bad man's guild :siren::siren::siren:

Wu Tang Company
Company Name: Wu Tang Company
Server: EU - Zerzura
Discord/Invites: https://discord.gg/pFJezJ8NMd

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ragaman posted:

Nah, they are west coast. For folks wanting to go east coast/Royllo server we’ll have a new discord set up for people hopefully soon.

Once you do, either post here or PM me and i'll put you in the OP right away

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

should the Server Status page be in the OP maybe?

https://www.newworld.com/en-us/support/server-status

so people can keep tabs on goon-gathering server availability

e: it's none of them right now, btw lol

Done.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

Yay, new thread. :toot:

Can we get the info on the EU companies in the OP too?

Wu Tang Company is currently on Zerzura EU, which is locked for new characters. We plan to transfer together to a new server once we get the option to do that, so if you're located in EU and want to join I suggest you start leveling a character and join the Covenant. Come hang out on our Discord, https://discord.gg/pFJezJ8NMd, and we'll keep you updated on where we'll end up.
We're currently around 40 people on Discord, and except the Sonic meme channel, we're drama free.

Done!

You guys changing guilds over? Let me know what to update and when.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

2DCAT posted:

I thought this thread would would be less funny than the old one and lmao was I wrong

holy gently caress i can't stop laughing

Anita Dickinme posted:

So I definitely saw this coming but it’s been confirmed. TT will not hand over the governor chair and will most likely kick me from UwU by the time I’m home. Everyone should leave UwU and ask for an invite to the other two goon guilds.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

lol yeah he's having a meltdown in his discord now and everyone is making GBS threads on him. I left the server but I should have stayed for the laughs. What an absolute shithead.

That Works posted:

Fun fact posting this gets you banned from the other discord in seconds.

lmaooooooooooooooooooooooo

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ragaman posted:

We’re working on that right now and will get you updates as soon as things settle down a little bit, but basically current guilds right now are:

Goons in Pantaloons led by Wreckis
Aeternam Cruiselines led by me (Quillz in game)
And the new guild created & led by Skyblazer this morning: Communal Unity Movement.

GiP is currently full, AC has about 65 slots and CUM is fresh so should have lots of space. As things shake out over the next few days we will consolidate as needed (likely AC -> CUM, we’ll see), but many folks (like myself) are at work so east coast folks please bear with us as we transition & join the new discord for updates/additional info as it develops.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yes, we're changing discords and there's a new guild. I'm currently leading the new company, Communal Unity Movement, at least for the present time. I'm also the one that made the discord, here's a permalink to it: https://discord.gg/Yk5xAH68Hj

I've already started contacting FED as well, but the thought right now is to let Brightwood fall, and recapture it afterwards.

:siren: IMPORTANT FOR CURRENT PLAYERS: If you are in GIP or Aeternum Cruiselines, don’t move, the people running those companies are cool and onboard with the change already. ONLY the UwU guild is reforming, and will be used to invite people as the other two companies fill up.

Okay so please confirm for me if this looks okay, I am very confused atm

East Coast Goon Conglomerate
Company Names: Communal Unity Movement & Goons in Pantaloons & Aeternam Cruiselines
Server: NA East -
Discord/Invites: https://discord.gg/Yk5xAH68Hj

What's your server? Ryollo? Something like that?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Anita Dickinme posted:

I told Tempus we needed a leadership restructure. I told him if we don’t then we’ll have a goon split and there would be five members in UwU next week. I even told him he can stay just to appease him and he lost his poo poo on us. Straight up man-child meltdown. He then left the cat herder chat and made some announcement in Discord. I followed up the announcement by telling everyone to leave UwU and join the new discord and I got banned but definitely wasn’t surprised.

e: beaten

lmao

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Anita Dickinme posted:

Yep, looks good. Could you also add a disclaimer to completely avoid Underpaid Workers Union please? I’m sure he’s going to quit playing for a week but just want to be safe.

Oh absolutely.

Ragaman posted:

Yes Royllo, Aeternum not Aeternam (I’m probably going to change it later in game to something else completely but good for now) :dance:

Fixed.

Okay, east coast added to OP! Thank you! Also, lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ein Sexmonster posted:

TT is currently imploding in hilarious fashion by the way.

aahahahahahahaha

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

post more of this lmao

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Anita Dickinme posted:

I’ve always loved the griefing portions of OPs so I hope you’re saving these up to write one up because this is gold. :allears:

I plan to re-write the entire OP and absolutely will be including this amazing saga lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

is that him?? Lmao

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

honestly this is the most amazing saga

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

*chef's kiss*

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baculus posted:

is starfeet teeth mans a dead guild yet or has their policy of "we are not a goon group" actually worked?

lol SFD has been around for 12 years and we're not going anywhere, we also did not let TT join us when he tried a few months ago lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

On-topic post: Spear (impaler spec) loving rules. It's so much fun, sounds/feels great, and absolutely rips poo poo up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Miss Broccoli posted:

please leave out my bit specifically please unless theres a good reason to have that evidence in the op. id rather not have people refering to the op scrolling past me getting asked about poo poo that is no longer on my body that made me want to die and also otherwise being made to want to die by some shitfuck who couldnt not talk at me about suicide.

like if theres good reaon to bring it up in future go wild but until then id like it if that could be left to lie.

Sorry, what part should I remove??? I don't see anywhere I've mentioned you or your body.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

I think they meant not to add the stuff they posted about TT when you update the OP.

Ohhh okay, no problem.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nalin posted:

Oof. Looks like TT is going to give the whole guild including all the territory and money to Federation Gold and leave all the goons out to dry.

:stare:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

We did, he basically said eat poo poo and maybe if we're helpful enough in the future they'd deign to allow us to take territory somewhere else.

They also invited TT to FED and made him an officer on the shared faction discord.

Jesus christ lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I can totally see someone dropping that into a discord chat.

"To see which bait is best for any given time of day, toggle fishing mode, check your bait, then open up your map screen to see the map overlay."

Prob get banned real fast.

on it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Have they released any kind of roadmap for updates? Lol, haha

Lol no

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've never found actual complete patch notes for this game

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Brightwood looks awesome and is mega spooky. It's a shame that every zone is the same 3 quests over and over and over and over.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Gathering in this game is great - crafting is terrible. I hate it and have been trying to avoid it, it's so bad.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

rip

the worst possible patch note, given all the other issues with the game lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I mined some crude oil today.

Truly the New World

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol TT deleted all his discords

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

New World did this. Lol.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Everything about this fuckin owns.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This game does have some great looking areas. Brightwood nails the spooky feel.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress Man posted:

has there been any indication or posts from amazon regarding how content will be released in the future?

No

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Krilion posted:

I was getting ready to goon it up with his group due to east coast, but could never get I queue and just played d2:R. Then l the TT discord I was in are gone this morning.

What the gently caress happened?

Read the OP, it's been updated with new east coast stuff.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

And what are people yelling when they cast spells?

life staff yells MUAD'DIB as a tie-in to the movie coming out

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

holy loving lol I have never seen this before and I cannot stop laughing

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Plancta Covenant has a tradition now. Every time we win, we gather in the church and listen to Pope Zangrief (shirtless hero on the altar) give us a sermon on slaughtering innocents in the name of the spark. All hail.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The # of players is and always will be meaningless, they can consolidate servers until there is a good population. The problem is this game's garbage PvE where there are 3.5 types of quests that you repeat ad nauseum for 60 levels, the complete joke of organized pvp (in a game that massively touts and relies on organized pvp), and the total absence of modern mmo QoL features that grognards with rose-tinted glasses think they like but it's actually loving terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pandaal posted:

Good to see after 25 pages there’s still folks who aren’t playing the game wasting their valuable time screaming “stop enjoying this!“ at the rest of us lol

gently caress off with this poo poo.