Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Is there a new thread that actually talks about New World?

All I know is I joined a discord server to get a server name. Now there are hundreds of posts about some TT guy who sounds like a turd.

I'm not sure what the walls of text with random screenshots are supposed to sway me to, but ban the guy and start ignoring him already.

Is the jury still out on "best builds for x"? I always make dumb choices in character builds because I try to use non video game logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Let’s talk about armor. What kind of armor should I be wearing for PvE? My great axe hatchet character feels like I missed something.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Kill All Cops posted:

stonecutting, mine up a bunch of stone and cut them into blocks to raise up the level, don't bother with cutting the first tier gems since you can upgrade 3 minor types into a regular type

Well poo poo, I need to make more stone blocks….

Has anyone dialed in crafting yet? Like is it better to use as much upgraded everything to get a good roll or should I just make 500 of something and let rng do it’s thing?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Ranzear posted:

Endless argument about the value of the listing fee vs azoth already.

I was thinking the same.

It's pretty obvious that there needs to be more money sinks in the game. Right now it's just taxes and the pitiful amount you get for salvaging (which I guess is supposed to eliminate the need for NPC vendors?). I can see how someone capped on everything would turn to listing items then cancelling to move things. Isn't there a cap on azoth?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

You would think that the always up server lords would be better at patching their creation...

Not surprised that they are having issues though, based on the betas, the launch, and this being the first "real" patch they have likely ever done.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

captaingimpy posted:

Can I relive my glory days of SW:G as a non-violent crafter?

yes and no.

Often there are mobs around nodes that will stop you from harvesting. I don't see how you will end up with much unless you ONLY fish, gather, and chop trees. Even then, odds are you will get mobbed.

That being said, there have already been "naked" runs and I believe a passific run already.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

NeurosisHead posted:

I don't love that the T1 harvesting mats go into crafts all of the way up to the top. The low level zones are just buried in level 35-50 people gathering iron and hemp and low level players can't get the resource spawns and can't even be flagged for pvp for fear of getting deleted. There should be a break at like, starmetal and silk where a new "base" resource goes into the production tree.

I keep hearing this, but not seeing this. It must be a time/location/server specific issue. I have rarely needed to compete with others for nodes.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Alright fishermen, what's the deal with hotspots?

I get that I have to cast "into" the hotspot, but I am getting mixed results. Are the ONLY "active" when the fish are actively jumping out? If so, how can I tell when they become "active"?

Any tips on actually casting into the hotspot? Earlier today I couldn't make it happen to save my life.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Yeah, you’ve got it right. Wait for the fish to start jumping around. It threw me off at first too.

Is there a way to tell when they will start jumping? Earlier I was at one, nothing jumping, got my "range" dialed in and waited. Is it a 30min cycle? 1 hour? I had one cast say I landed it right, but no jumping fish (I assume it was a bug).

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Exodor posted:

Is there any benefit to hot spots other than faster hook times? Do they give a bonus to the chance to catch bigger fish ?

Huge benefits, rare fish.

Did some more googling and found this which answers my questions and will help everyone else:

1 Star hotspots: 30 fish total, respawn every 15 min

Chances for fish are: 45% common, 40% uncommon, 10% rare, >5% for legendary

2 Star hotspots: 20 fish total, respawn every 35 min

Chances for fish are: 0% common, 65% uncommon, 30% rare, 5% for legendary

3 Star hotspots: 10 fish total, respawn every 45 min

Chances for fish are: 0% common, 20% uncommon, 70% rare, 10% for legendary

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

MarcusSA posted:

You can also hook chests which have gold and materials in them.

I know! It's stupid how much "stuff" you get while fishing.

I *believe* that you might be able to just skip other gathering and fish full time. I once had like 30 anchors from fishing.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Devor posted:

Note that the fish oil that you need to use can be purchased.

"Farming it yourself" is a waste unless you enjoy the mini-game, or want to level the gathering skill. Spending 10 minutes to create 50 gold of fish oil with an activity you hate isn't good! And you probably have plenty of gold. Even if you don't, do an activity you ~like~ and sell the results of that activity instead.

You hold on now with your common sense and logic.

We are going to level everything, as fast as we can, then complain about how bad the game is and how much we hate grinding.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I've been playing for approximately one hour every night and that seems like the perfect amount of time. Do two quests, pick some dank buds for cash and experience, log off and do something else.

How dare you play a video game like you have an actual life!

I'm about the same, I putz about while "working" then put the game down. When taken in small, controlled doses, this game is great and will provide months of fun for most people.

The key with this game, and many others, is to put it down regularly.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Server "maintenance" for 5 hours today... I don't think they have figured out this "patching" thing yet...

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Lawlicaust posted:

This game is in such a weird spot because despite all the lovely parts of it, the massive bugs, and disconnected development… it could strike gold and be the next big MMO except…

It clearly wasn’t ready for release after all the redos over the last year and a half. It’s so anemic on content.

The server poo poo is absolutely ratfucking them. I’m on a server that’s one of the last US servers to regularly have a massive queue and the queue was gone last night.

They were far too conservative on server size at launch. People expect server to be crowded at a game launch and tolerate it. The incredibly low caps really hosed with people getting on the right server and having enough concentrated people to survive attrition. Add to that the cross-region shenanigans and delay in even inter-region transfers and they just repeatedly shot themselves in the foot.

I’d love to see this game survive and get good progressive updates. If they don’t sort the server poo poo out soon it’s going nowhere. My normal group has completely quit for now at this point because we’ve all gotten to the 40s/50s and are still on different servers and can’t play together.

Their server situation is really what will "kill" this game in the long run.

Why have "starter" zones if new characters will never be allowed into the server? Why does it take them 5 hours to patch when other aws deployments take much less time?

Someone, somewhere, made some decisions and doubled down. I bet someone highish on the totem pole used to work with the federal government. Everything about this feels like they are "technically compliant" with the goals originally set.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

kedo posted:

I have yet to harvest a single hemp since beta, and had a level 55 follow me around berating me on voice chat for a good five minutes because I "stole" an iron node from him (ie. I arrived at it and started harvesting a good 10 seconds before him). I'm level 15, let me harvest the few things I can actually harvest!

I had a similar experience. Went to a node, started mining. Wolf aggros, I start to kill wolf. A dude comes flying down from the giant cliff above and kills the wolf. So I resume mining. Dude was PISSED. I stole "his iron" and totally needed to "1v1 me bro". I think he sent something like 6 duel requests, I was like level 15, he was level 50 something.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I think Royllo (however you spell it) either lost characters or increased the cap. I saw a few nooblets running around earlier.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

well, on servers that can handle 2000 players every bot is a real person that can not play the game.
Just imagine how many bots will have taken up space while you waited 4 hours in queue a week ago.

This actually confused me some. How do the bot runners make money if no one can log onto the server?

When the queues were bad I remember reporting two different groups of people; those just running into walls and the fishing bots. I'm willing to bet that I encountered about 50% active players and 50% afk/bots. How did they think the economy would work with hard caps on population?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Ash1138 posted:

i’m hoarding hyssop like iraqi dinars

one day it’ll be indispensable and i will be beyond rich!

That reminds me, next time I log on I have to dispose of a few thousand hyssop...

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Cov chat on Royollo was spicy this morning.

Apparently our original drama hasn't boiled over with FED and people are accusing them of RMT stuff.

Also, really funny that people would take a spreadsheet or screen shot on Reddit as "proof" of no bad deeds...

I'm beginning to think that most of the issues are stemming from a lack of "gold faucet" in the game. Since most people are "poor", anyone with any kind of money are considered to be cheating.

Speaking of "gold faucets" has anyone's economy stabilised yet? The AH makes zero sense to me, especially since salvaging and the town board are supposed to replace NPC vendors (I assume, they are the only places that provide a "floor" for costs). Everyone keeps telling me that wars are the way to go to make money, but that implies that I can (1) get into a war and (2) not get booted after that due to level, build, etc, and (3) be one of the lucky few that actually get to participate (about 5% of server pop can "play" at a time with this system).

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Blacula posted:

https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/articles/server-transfer-details

Server transfers are here!

Big patch notes, lots of highlights:
T4 and T5 azoth staff fix
Territory conflict status kept thru invasions
"Fixed an issue that caused holding and dragging around the client while in windowed mode to constantly retrigger invincibility."
"Fixed an issue that caused taxes to not go into the controlling company’s treasury."
"Fixed issues with companies not receiving some territory taxes."

'Speculative' fix for wars and invasions time jump
Amazon Games splash screen volume adjusted (even higher?!)

Are they saying that even more money is supposed to go to the controlling company (at least the people with access to the bank of the controlling company)?

I'm really getting behind the idea that this game is just a Bezos life simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

FrostyPox posted:

I'm levelling really slowly, looking forward to being unable to complete that level 50 quest that requires you to kill a group-level boss but you can't get into the area at all if you've already completed it.

I will have the same problem….