Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dead Like Rev posted:

Starfleet Dental is the best, you all should play with them.

I agree with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm really digging fishing in this game. It kinda reminds me of SDV fishing.

I also like the animation when you catch a rarer fish.

Chests are cool too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This game really should have shipped with full controller support (lol I know I know).

Like it has partial support but this game would work great with a controller since you legit only use like 4 buttons lol

I am sure its on the roadmap (lol again)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There is definitely some weird poo poo going on with this game. Like I’ll be at 144 fps and then I’ll look up the mountain and it craters down to 47 and the towns don’t even go down that low.

I’m over 100 over all but there are weird parts that crater it and I don’t know why.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Darwin_ posted:

Also about the GPU issues, try limiting the FPS in settings to 60. That keeps things under control.

So about that. I turned that on and first off it didn’t do anything for whatever reason and I was watching a stream and the guy had it on but it was actually running at 62 fps?

Like even the movies say they are running at 62-63 fps?

The steam overlay reports the same.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

He herb picking and skinning remind me a lot of RDR2 which I really enjoyed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FireWhizzle posted:

hatchet is just all around great for netflix mode too

just chug a BAWLS energy / Monster Zero / Surge and drown your tears in fake sugar op

nw is doing p well imo

I had to look up wallpaper engine and lol it actually seems kinda cool.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

No, what I think that person is saying is that even if the game was mega engaging, poop socking a game is going to make it feel tedious and boring.

Yeah this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I mined some crude oil today.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like making cooking oil is the most ridiculous thing the mats are a real pain in the rear end

You need 2 fish oil and nuts as you know fish oil only has a chance to drop from each fish.

One recipe I have for a quest requires 5 cooking oil for one dish.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WarEternal posted:

What about the fact that salt and sugar only drop from low level provision crates? Salt feels like the rarest resource in the game, lmao.

Ok I haven’t gotten that far because I’m still working on this oil poo poo but lol that is the case with salt.

You should fish up salt with seaweed you get sometimes with fishing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is a pretty good video about the state of the game and he doesn’t really say anything we don’t already know but he has a nice voice and a pretty face.

https://youtu.be/tmXPArToCnU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Capping my FPS at 60 actually caps it at 72 because? :confused:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

I have the problem in the opposite direction, capping my FPS at 60 actually caps it at 48 consistently (on a machine that goes well past 60)

That is really fuckin weird.

I've seen streamers that are capped at 62 fps too.

Makes no drat sense.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DaitoX posted:

Because you probably have vsync turned on and it tries to keep it to a division of your monitor's refresh rate if you do. I am assuming you have a 144hz panel. If you go to 30 fps it will stick to 36. If you turn vsync off it will go to 60 fps (ok it often still says 61~62, but close enough).

The 62 fps thing is a bit odd, but when vsync is on trying to keep it to 72 or 36 on a 144hz panel is actually a nice feature.

To add, you can also manually set an fps limit to whatever you want, if you go to %appdata%\AGS\New World\savedata - open "usersettings.javsave" in notepad and change "field="m_maxFps" value="X"" the value to whatever you want.

Oh wow thanks for that explanation! Yeah I do have vsync on so that explains it.

I don’t mind the 72 fps I just thought it was odd!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ASAPI posted:

Alright fishermen, what's the deal with hotspots?

I get that I have to cast "into" the hotspot, but I am getting mixed results. Are the ONLY "active" when the fish are actively jumping out? If so, how can I tell when they become "active"?

Any tips on actually casting into the hotspot? Earlier today I couldn't make it happen to save my life.

You’ll see the hotspot on your bar at the top if it’s not there there isn’t a hot spot.

What I have been doing is just getting close to the spot so that I click and then click again immediately to cast so it’s a short throw to the spot. I’ll pretty much hit it every time like that.

Pretty sure the hot spots are static like everything else is as well. You can fish it out and it will come back eventually.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ASAPI posted:

Huge benefits, rare fish.

Did some more googling and found this which answers my questions and will help everyone else:

1 Star hotspots: 30 fish total, respawn every 15 min

Chances for fish are: 45% common, 40% uncommon, 10% rare, >5% for legendary

2 Star hotspots: 20 fish total, respawn every 35 min

Chances for fish are: 0% common, 65% uncommon, 30% rare, 5% for legendary

3 Star hotspots: 10 fish total, respawn every 45 min

Chances for fish are: 0% common, 20% uncommon, 70% rare, 10% for legendary

You can also hook chests which have gold and materials in them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

I've never enjoyed fishing in a game but I want to make food that requires cooking oil which requires fish oil so I guess I'm going to have to learn!

The fishing is good!

Getting the oil sucks though sorry.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Devor posted:

Note that the fish oil that you need to use can be purchased.

"Farming it yourself" is a waste unless you enjoy the mini-game, or want to level the gathering skill. Spending 10 minutes to create 50 gold of fish oil with an activity you hate isn't good! And you probably have plenty of gold. Even if you don't, do an activity you ~like~ and sell the results of that activity instead.

I went to buy it and it was ridiculously priced.

I do like fishing I just think the oil drop rate is kinda whack.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Torrance posted:

You can now make characters on Royllo or Plancta, almost all of the servers are allowing new characters now.

I wonder what they raised the cap to this time.

Also this guy makes a really good point about how server mergers maybe couldn’t happen or if they did it would be absolutely hosed.

https://youtu.be/z4UjJpsGW-M

He also makes a really good point about how having no low level characters can really screw the economy for the higher level crafters.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Barreft posted:

It's not a really good point, it's common sense.

I guess :shrug:

I never actually thought about how a server merger would actually work but it actually wouldn’t work that well at all.

So what do they do with those dead servers then?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

holy loving lol I have never seen this before and I cannot stop laughing

Yeah steam is having a good one tonight. Someone in the steam thread said some update broke quite a few other games as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm only playing this because Jeff gave it to me for free.

I'm not sure I would have bought it tbh.

Its not a bad game but does have a lot of bad choices made in it.

It also triggers my lizard brain to gather poo poo and chop trees so I've got 30 hours played in it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My biggest issue is that sometimes the combat just doesn’t work like it should. Maybe it’s because I’m using a fire staff but it happens often enough where I press Q and nothing happens and I have to hit it again.

Things will be flowing great and then that will happen and it takes me out of the somewhat decent combat and leaves me frustrated.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I would actually flag for PVP (something I’d never do normally) if the reward for flagging was better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

lmfao okay the this community manager kind of owns

lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

As much as I enjoy the game I sure as poo poo wouldn’t re roll.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BadLlama posted:

For $100 per transfer I'll walk your characters via floppy disk to their other datacenter

You could probably pay a bot service $50 just to max you out tbh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I appreciate how in this game when you run out of air because you can't swim you just straight up die. Its not like those other weaker games where your health slowly degrades no no this one you just straight up die.

A++ would get knocked off a bridge again and die because we can't swim.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Makes me feel a bit dumb for playing a running simulator all this time.

The running simulator Is the best part though because it lets me get even more poo poo to stash in my bank that I might use one day!

My bank is full of poo poo I’ll probably never use and it’s great.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Game is pretty great NGL

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/867526588223979562/897214811425873980/New_World_2021-10-11_13-07-36.mp4

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Barreft posted:

Lots of Store fixes

5 store fixes and 22 fixes to everything else.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kedo posted:

Is it just me, or is there a real missed opportunity with tracking and skinning? So many animals drop the same exact crap even thought they're entirely different species. I kill and butcher a wolf and I get a few skins and some meat. Then I see an alligator and think, "cool, I wonder if I'll get gator skin!" – nope, just more of the same type of skins and meat. But wait, there's a random world boss hog wandering around, surely I'll be rewarded with special skins and meat that I can use to craft fancier food/armor! Nope, the same exact type of skins and meat, just more of them.

Even vanilla WoW had different meat types from different animals.

They can drop rare stuff though which is why you need the special armor sets and tools to increase those rates.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BadLlama posted:

The different animals will drop different advanced materials, like a world will drop a Wolf Fang thing, and Alligator will drop and Alligator something something.

I’ve also gotten fur pelts off bears.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

i'm sure it has something to do with the various clinks and clanks that play when looting, l

Na it’s pretty bad at it tbh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://youtu.be/xwgiPMTUJLY

He’s absolutely correct that the game does feel soulless and the repetitive quests really do get to you. I logged in today after work and I saw the same 3 faction quests I just did yesterday and I accepted them and decided to log out for now.

I enjoy the gathering but the half baked market board makes selling poo poo not fun.

I dunno. I just hit level 30 and eh I dunno.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BadLlama posted:

I am hitting 60 in this terrible game no matter how much it sucks.

I probably will as well. I hit 31 today and we will see how the rest of the week goes. I really want to get like 36 (ish) so I can use the star metal gathering tools though I bought a knife yesterday and I'm trying to get the other stuff together.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zotix posted:

Super cool having most monsters have a super long TTK at 500 gear score and having poo poo just spawn on top of you because quests want you tokill gold border monsters.

I honestly don't even bother with those at this point. Its not worth it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I started out reading everything an listening to quest dialog but it quickly became poo poo that I could really care less about and was not engaging in anyway at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lladre posted:

Is it me or does it seem like if you afk for a minute near some mobs that generally don't path to you, their aggro range extends if you're afk?

Couple of times now I have gone to make some food/use the loo/play with the puppy, to come back to "You have been killed by Mob_Name".

You should be laying on the ground when you walk away.