Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

should the Server Status page be in the OP maybe?

https://www.newworld.com/en-us/support/server-status

so people can keep tabs on goon-gathering server availability

e: it's none of them right now, btw lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

To clarify? Backpedal? Whatever you want to call it, after some talk in another discord -

I've known for some time that "TT" (whoever that was at the time) was lovely. Apparently, a lot of other people knew too, but also apparently a lot of people also didn't connect the dots, because of not realizing TT = tempwhatever = Badr.

To me, it seems that if ~whoever~ (and it just so happens to be TT) was leading the charge for USEast New World goons was good enough for almost two years then what happened to cause all this (even though I vehemently disagree with lumbering troll/tt's attitude towards that sort of thing let alone the use of that word in particular) by itself really does not seem like enough to implode what a hundred or two people have been working on. It's clear that with TT as leader of the company that owns BW, changing discords/companies will have repercussions for everyone in the game unless he (should, but will is a much different story) passes ownership to someone not lovely (i.e. not part of his core group).

Given how quickly things went from "this happened" to "new discord, now" (which I thought happened in literally hours but was a day and a half), and how it clearly seemed that everyone knew exactly who and what he was, it seemed ridiculous that NOW everything needed to change, instead of in the nearly two years since he posted the beta thread. But going back to my first statement, apparently it wasn't quite as clear as it seemed until now.

In addition, it again seemed to me that everyone already knew what was up with TT (which, again, is apparently not the case) but it all happened off-site. As the rules say, things that happen off-site remain off-site and I feel that removing the discord link violated that rule. But the rules also say that this is not without limits (a good thing). So if everyone already knew everything and just now decided "yeah, it was fine for 2 years but now a week after launch we're just going to decide it's not," especially with that rule in place, that it was arbitrary selective enforcement because someone kicked up some stink. But again that's apparently not the case, which is more that "yeah, it was fine for 2 years because nobody quite knew what was up but now that they do, it's not okay" which is a very different situation.

I also did not have any even eye-brow raising moments in the week I spent in voice comms with everyone on the server so hearing it being described as a "nazi server" seemed deliberately hyperbolic without any shred of evidence. (I strongly disagree with the language that was used in this case but I don't think it rises to the level of "nazi-like" but that's just me.) So it also seemed like an unfair punishment for those players just because of one person, regardless of that person's position. But, my sample size was only a week and I've certainly been friendly with people for a while in the past only to have them turn out.. poorly.

At the end of the day, I'm not sorry to leave TT and/or those sorts of people behind. Despite what you may have thought or it may have seemed, it was not a personal defense of TT, who can gently caress right off.

https://i.imgur.com/SIuUuTd.mp4

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

is server transfer going to allow East Coast to West coast or is that one of the things we don't even know yet

I got some fellas playing on East but I'm looking to meet up with SFD on the West when/if Plancta ever opens.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

JuffoWup posted:

I don't think even amazon currently knows. It was just a mail toss of "omg, the servers are melting, just go anywhere and we'll figure out some free transfer to get you all together later.."

damb.......

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol so I create my dude on a random server my friends chose while we wait for servers we actually want to play on to open up, and it spawns me on a random beach (one of four apparently???) that is no the beach they started on. I guess once you do some quests there it locks you into that specific storyline? And now I can't do the story along with them?

How long does this last. Do the stories converge at any point? Am I going to get different dungeons or whatever lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the clipping in this game is horrendous, jesus. This kind of thing normally doesn't bother me but there are items from the same set that look straight up incompatible. I've got clothes clipping through by otherwise naked body. One of the hoods clips through your head if you're bald lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

Hoping to land on SFD's server whenever the transfers open up.

I'll be bringing about 5 buddies w/me possibly.

this is where I'm at, got some buddies who'll likely come with me

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they feared its power

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

so does crouching or going prone actually do anything

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

drat that's all cool as hell actually RE: stuff you do while crouched/prone, thanks

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mr. Torrance posted:

You can now make characters on Royllo or Plancta, almost all of the servers are allowing new characters now.

fuuuck

I'll make a character on Plancta I guess but I really don't want to level all those skills again lol. Server transfers, please, hurry........

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my brain worms are preventing me from playing this game until details about the server transfers drop just in case I do have to reroll on Plancta lol

real missed opportunity to not allow transmog for non-cash-shop items, though. Some of these default armors look really nice, like the drowned pirate looking outfits or the hooded robes. And, you know, dyes. Can you even dye the armor appearances? That's about the only thing preventing me from grabbing the dracula set lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

causticBeet posted:

https://forums.newworld.com/t/server-transfer-update/354335

No transfers yet, but some updates about how it will work

quote:

Where can I move my character to?

You can move your character to any world in your region, except:
You cannot move your character to a full world.
You cannot move your character to a world in maintenance.
You cannot move your character to a world set that you have an existing character in already.

gently caress

looks like I'm rolling a new guy on US West if I wanna play with SFD lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

could have sword they said it'd be possible

e: they did say it'd be possible and then someone else immediately stepped in and said it wouldn't be, but they never deleted the initial tweet lmao

https://twitter.com/playnewworld/status/1442909890222047233

e2: lol there are multiple instances of different community management members on their forums and discord telling people they'd be able to move to any server they want (barring usual character creation rules like "one guy per server set"), they were not communicating with each other about this at all

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 9, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmfao okay the this community manager kind of owns

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

some people on the forums are NOT happy about "very carefully"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

between telling people to roll in different, less populated regions because they'd eventually be able to transfer back to their friends (which ended up being a lie/wishful thinking) and the clusterfuck that was the launch EU regions due to people making characters solely to register names early (why are names global but not other character data???), I can understand why some people are mad

but drat, some of these people are fuckin' mad lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Barreft posted:

I mean it's common sense you can't transfer to full servers and such, been saying that all week. They have a max server limit and they can't go over it because of cryengine, and they're also a huge company like google that just doesn't give a gently caress.

Some of us tried telling people not to sign up on low pop servers and just assume a free transfer, and I guess we got reported for it. Nothing I've said has been wrong though so lol, back to Dread.

this isn't about transferring to full servers. like you said, that's common sense. it's not even about having multiple character on the same battlegroup or whatever they're called, since that should be common sense too since it's one of the character creation restrictions anyway

what people (the ones who are paying attention at least) are mostly upset about is the surprise restriction in region, which was never mentioned as a restriction whenever the community team was asked about the upcoming server transfers. They were straight up telling people to roll in different servers because when transfers hit you can meet back up with your friends, so a lot of people on like EU or US East where there was little room in the first few days rolled in different regions just to be able to play

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

Wait, I assumed they meant US and EU when they meant regions. You can't transfer US East to West? LOL.

Nope, they confirmed that in the thread somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. I was hoping they meant that too initially lol

e:

WarEternal posted:

Why can't they transfer? They removed the 'full' status from the vast majority of servers, and that's really the only restriction. Even if not, if everyone solely wanted to play with each other, than the wise choice would be for people from the 'full' server to move to their friend's 'not full' server. Or a 3rd, entirely different server.

You can't transfer regions at all, period. If you were one of the people who figured (or in some people's cases, told several times over twitter or discord by official community management members lol) you'd roll US West because US East has 8 hour queues and server transfers will eventually let you hang with your dudes, you're hosed

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Official explanation on why server transfers can't happen across regions: "each region is actually it's own database and tagging characters to a new world isn't possible"
Official explanation on why they let people believe incorrect information on their official twitter and forums before correcting it days later: "whoops"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

Going to kill 10% of their population easily I would imagine. Maybe those people would have quit anyway but there's a lot of people that just got told they couldn't play with friends.

The world set restriction is hilarious too. They are so bad at this it is truly loving incredible. I expect transfers to completely break characters at this point.

If the game was more fun to play on an actual minute-to-minute basis and didn't require an awful hellgrind to progress because they only started adding PvE content 6 months ago, it likely wouldn't be an issue. Requiring a large time investment is fine for most people... once.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

As long as you're in the same region (US East transferring to US East, US West transferring to US West, etc.), you're just limited by normal character creation rules. No locked servers, no two characters on the same battleset or whatever they're called.

So if you've only got one guy and you're looking to move somewhere that isn't locked in the same region, you're good to go.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

or if you were, say, EU and everyone in the world was joining your servers solely to register a name because the database is global and your servers launched first, so you rolled on a US server just to be able to avoid day-long queues lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If they really wanted to go on damage control they could absolutely manually transfer people's data. Their explanation about different databases meaning no transfers is kind of BS unless they're talking about some sort of automated system, which is likely the case.

I doubt they'd do it, but the option is there.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think they deleted the server transfer thread, it's not longer pinned on the official forums and I can't find it going back a few pages lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that all look worse than the default gear you can get by crafting and looting + you can't dye them lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I also kind of hate this game but I'm still in for now due to it being a chill game to play with my friends, and also still holding out for server transfers so I can go to Royllo and maybe get to pvp in this pvp game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

pvp zones, where you can't leave town un-flagged, would do a lot to help I imagine.

Structured pvp you can queue into is always nice but if it's the primary way to do pvp it's just going to separate the populations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFeh6DohBq0

lol

wait this is almost exactly the same technique as the last one right? you just ice block and hold onto the window, instead of dragging it around

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It should.