Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
If I see an iron ore spawn, does that imply the same iron ore will respawn there after some time in the exact same position? Is there a way I can write down an x,y coordinate or know which x,y coordinate I'm at if so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
lol i decided to give up on overseer zane and went to do scratchrock burrow and there's over two dozen people there and lv 30s with their friends refusing to party anyone

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

eonwe posted:

the reason im hesitant to get into this is the day endwalker comes out im dropping this game so hard

at least this isn't a sub and you'll always have it around assuming amazon doesn't think 1m concurrent players isn't enough revenue and shuts it down

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

I don't have sword exp.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i've taken to just running lowbies through amrine as a lv 40 dps because this is somehow now my zen game, i don't really want a challenge during my lunch hour

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
are territory standing benefits additive or multiplicative? i add a +125 storage and a +150 storage but i don't have +275 added?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i just bought over 100k mats for 0.01and wow this is so much easier than gathering, zoom straight to 100+

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Ort posted:

Despite the really cool sound effects, I agree that gathering is pretty boring. One cool thing that Crowfall did for gathering that probably some other games have done before, idk I usually don’t care about gathering, is making it more active by allowing you to critical gather or speed up the process by clicking different areas. A very minor minigame instead of just click once and wait. It would be cool to see that expanded on more in games.

Imagine being able to play old school block breaker or something to get 10x harvest amounts based on your score.

I kind of want to see how this plays out in reality with being gamed in terms of "here's the multiplier x score chart, stop after you get 30 points because it's faster to just move on to the next plant yield-wise after that", if it takes too long having people kite mobs into you while you're minigaming, being frozen in place for a minute while pvp flagged

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

BadLlama posted:

The system New World was using was actually pretty good. Your equipped gear and then like a couple other slots were protected from dropping when you were killed but then the rest of your inventory would drop, however, if you attacked someone and became a criminal the debuff was like 3 or 4 hours long and if you died with that debuff on you dropped all your poo poo. IMO they abandon the game too soon but we are here now with this, so, yeah.

Yeah but how do we monetise and incentivise casual players that don't want to lose any progress or pvp but want to play a new mmo?

WarEternal posted:

I should have waited 2 days and rolled on a server full of morons. Selling anything at .01 means you're guaranteed losing money just on listing fees alone. What the gently caress? It even gives you a pop-up message telling you so.

Someone listed 2000 gold ore for 0.01 each, I was kind of WTF at that

Impotence fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 7, 2021

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

Capping my FPS at 60 actually caps it at 72 because? :confused:

I have the problem in the opposite direction, capping my FPS at 60 actually caps it at 48 consistently (on a machine that goes well past 60)

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
at this point i realise i may not actually be saving money by buying 10k gold ore for 0.01, then running out of storage space to put it, lacking the corresponding silver to melt it into ingots, and now i'm putting it back on the market for a higher price so that i can fast travel to other towns to cancel the sell order and fill up my storage shed in every single town with ore

at least feathers were lower burden

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

The Locator posted:

Will be interesting to see what the numbers look like next weekend. If the numbers keep dropping at that rate, not gonna be good for this game. Today's numbers can obviously change given it's showing 00:00 UTC instead of the other days around 20:00 UTC for the final stats.

If you match week over week it doesn't drop. last thursday was 585k. This thursday is 587k. The bump is weekend - the other days match up pretty closely so far.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Lawlicaust posted:

I bet they did some real dumb poo poo with how they have various elements of character data stored and “technically not possible” means: 1) they’d have to transfer a bunch of different sets of data across databases for each character; 2) then modify keys on the data being transferred, the tables, or both; 3) build new services to do all of the above because each region and database are probably implemented completely separately and they have maintenance everything separately; 4) they have no way to import new data to a database while servers are live without breaking something; 5) they are shocked poo poo even runs and some code making things runs was probably developed by people who are no longer there and they are afraid to break it; 6) they have an idea of how they could do it but the amount of Dev time to do it makes some engineering managers very unhappy; 7) after the last month of crunch to get this out, the architects and seniors are on vacation for two more weeks so they aren’t even staffed to do it.

Etc.

It’s probably a spaghetti code shitshow after all the things they have ripped out and shoved into the game in the last year.

Toss in another "EU <-> US data transfer agreement and GDPR-related bullshit" to the list. Also yes - the world services for each region are completely separated, and run at their associated AWS regions. You authenticate to any of them using a stateless signed token.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Lawlicaust posted:

You assume anyone working in tech even knows what GDPR compliance is outside of Europe customer poo poo. Or anything having to do with customer data for that matter. I regularly have to deal with terrible customer data idea from engineers. We’re replatforming and a very senior tech leader that should have known better suggested to me the other day that we could reduce cost by hosting our OMS and customer data for all countries(20+) in a single instance in the US.

It gets better, because SA East also has their separate version of GDPR (LGPD) and AP Southeast has Australia's APA.
That being said neither of the US regions have an equivalent.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Darwin_ posted:

I am just having hard time believing that our character data is covered under GDPR or any privacy law for that matter. It would be amazing tho to have my fishing level or the amount of azoth I have to be protected under a law lmao.

But I have mere feeling that only thing protected is our billing info which has nothing to do with our characters' servers and is anonymized and stored in a bunch of servers that are part of a location-independent cloud.

I am definitely not an expert on this topic and don't have any certifications or anything. If anyone knows a good data privacy lawyer, my character would like to talk to you about the Everfall Data Privacy Regulations regarding trading post transactions.

I anal, but generally anything that can be personally identifying. I'd pretty normally assume that anyone would be storing everything from chat logs (which can contain protected data) to usernames (which can contain full names, protected data, etc even if ill advised) in the same region they were created in. An email address is also covered data.

Unrelated: does this game formally allow scamming? Like EVE, I mean. Or is it an actual bannable offense?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

causticBeet posted:

I’ve seen a ton of them fishing, mostly at that low level hotspot right to the west of windsward. I think the problem is that by designing an open world PVE mmo with static resource spawns and an upside down market, they have made it incredibly easy to bot in. I’d expect the 40$ price tag to discourage more of this, but idk how good selling economies work so maybe not?

$40 for you, <$10-15 in other markets

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
do i even want to ask what a salt discord is

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Ranzear posted:

I've only seen a few claims of teleporting which sounded more like lag. EAC seems to be slapped on just because someone demanded it, as lumberyard is supposed to be quite server authoritative. Some dingdong just coded buffs, or that specific buff, wrong.

Any time I see a client side anticheat I already expect the worst, because it's always a lovely last minute slap on bandaid.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i am well past 9k encumbrance and cannot move at all
i cannot make it back to the trading post
the server logged me on quite a bit away from it
i can only drop one item, which isn't enough to let me move

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Lawlicaust posted:

Respec rapier or great axe?

I am great axe. I can't cast the dash or move in any way

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I may have bought 10000 weight of items then expected to respawn at the trading post where I logged off

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Kill All Cops posted:

cant u get someone to buy and ferry you an encumberance potion?

i just tried, +50 does not help (or allow me to move) when i am 10k+ over. i guess i'll just not play for a day or two and see how the market goes, and worst case have a friend ferry individual items over to the trading post

Impotence fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

That Works posted:

Housing taxes are due every 5 days because Amazon does not want to open the acknowledge the existence of a weekend
isn't this game practically medieval times or something? the weekend didn't exist til the early 1900s?