Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Since this info was in the other thread in the midst of the melt down:

Twitch drops are available for various weapon skins. You can read about it here:
https://www.newworld.com/en-us/twitch-drops#twitch-drops

Currently I'm watching this towelliee person for the drops, but anyone on their twitch leaderboards list will work:
https://twitch.tv/towelliee

This person is awesome in that they went off to nap while sitting at a queue number 800 to start. But left the stream live for people to just feed on for drops.
For tips on camping for drops if you are new to it, set the stream quality all the way down and then mute the tab with the stream in your browser. Someone in the previous thread they got drops even though the player was muted, but my own past experience had drops not working if the steam was muted. Thanks causticbeet for both settings to minimize impact to your computer while it ticks in the background. Btw, reports I had heard was that the next drop didn't happen until after you have claimed the previous. I have no idea if that is true as I'm just grabbing it whenever it comes up just to be safe.

Next up, a pink pirate armor skin is available if you have amazon prime:

https://gaming.amazon.com/loot/newworld

Twitch and prime are both on offer until the 11th. Pirate pack number 2 (pirate cutlass sword skin for the rapier among others) will start on oct 12th. No idea on what the drop will be starting then, but I'm sure amazon will have something else lined up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So does anyone have that paladin build to link again? I know the obvious of heavy armor + life staff + warhammer. But the details I'm curious as I didn't look further. Doing musket/hatchet which is.. ok. Just kind of bored and wondering if this would be different pace. I was already looking at retrying bow to see if I was just being super dumb back in beta to make bow feel bad.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Unfortunately no, I already looked at that one. I think it got buried in the old thread in the middle of the reveal.
This site is good for single weapon skill sets for sure, but I know there was a full build listed. Obvious the hammer will be gemmed to focus.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Pro tip if you haven't done so already:
1) bind a key to swap weapons. By default, it isn't set. Hilariously though, you swap weapons faster using that key than to actually press 1 or 2. Why, who knows.
2) Go to Settings -> Preferences -> Bandwidth Mode. Switch it to high. Why this is even an option or worse yet, defaulted to medium, we'll never know.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

is server transfer going to allow East Coast to West coast or is that one of the things we don't even know yet

I don't think even amazon currently knows. It was just a mail toss of "omg, the servers are melting, just go anywhere and we'll figure out some free transfer to get you all together later.."

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
There are also trophies that give bonuses to your game as well.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
This game is just weird like that. Server issues are laughable at times. But then you look at the content and the very light variation (if you can call it that) of quests for the faction board makes it feel like they were only tossed in around the beginning of the year. And no one had time to go back and think of some other ones.

Also, thanks earlier for the paladin link again. Going to keep that bookmarked for later, but hopefully some statements will come out on how area passives and weapon swapping is supposed to be working (like ice storm shutting down as soon as you swap off ice gaunt).

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

Is that verified? The tooltip is somewhat ambiguous, but if you read it as the 50%+ physical portion having unchanged scaling and the 50%- elemental portion having int scaling then you end up with 0.5 * (0.9 dex + 0.65 int) + 0.5 * 1.0 int for 0.45 dex and 0.825 int total at the extreme. I don't follow where that int averaging is coming from.

It's likewise not clear if "the weapon’s stat or the intelligence attribute, whichever is higher" means that scaling type for the elemental damage swaps when int > dex or when int > (0.9 dex + 0.65 int). I'd be hesitant to commit to an interpretation without data.

Testing back in closed beta suggested you should treat gems as at best make int or focus be a secondary stat. But I think it was closer to .5x. So int gemming a musket for example won't improve your musket even if all you invested in was int. Outside of any elemental weakness. So for warhammer as this started, you will be doing less damage compared to a str based warhammer player. But as stated, there isn't a str gem to stick into life staff to offset it.

Testing is actually easy to do as faction weapons have locked stats with an open gem slot.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

blueberrysmith posted:

how bad are the taxes? i'm about to throw down for a house i think in a level or two

Apparently there is a reported bug I saw on the forums of someone having their taxes altered even though it was their first house:
https://forums.newworld.com/t/first-house-50-discount-and-property-tax/303597

tldr: it appears territory discount overwrites first home discount. So your first home taxes will match that of the territory discount if you took any instead of the first home 50% discount.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

I think that it's good that we can both have our respective types of fun, but I wish that there was some way to incentivize pvp, especially for people gathering. We both want that ore, fight me for it!

This is more an issue with the crafting design though. As mentioned before, t2 requires not only a t2 item, but also an amount of t1 item. A t3 item requires some t3 and some of that previous t2 item. Which required an amount of t1 item.
And on it goes up the ladder. So no matter what, the t1 resource is in need and requires more and more of it as you go higher up. Now, for metal, this loving sucks because iron deposits even in the high level zones isn't that concentrated. Especially when you go back and compare with... wood. They both have the same scaling. But wood is just laughably easy to scale as young trees to swing at is literally everywhere. I suspect people will soon find that hemp plants are just as limiting as iron ore is right now. However, it does seem like there are more hemp plants in the world than iron ore.

If one was to pull an eve analogy and call the high level areas nullsec (there are in fact 3 zones you can't control btw). Then those spaces should be richer in resources. But it really isn't when it comes to metal. It is just as low in concentration as we experienced with iron.

Edit: Also, life staff would be fixed some if reddit complaints were to go by. Apparently life staff heals don't get you xp. So healing that random guy you met in the woods? You are not getting weapon xp doing it. But trying to cludge your life staff as a dps monster weapon? You'll get xp. In fact, the best way to get life staff xp is to just group up. Because even if you do nothing, any kills from the party members will net you life staff xp.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 5, 2021

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I just hope that FED as a group will be able to learn and grow from the experience they will have soon enough.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Third World Reagan posted:

I am enjoying the hell out of spear but I do not want to use any other primary dex weapon.

I guess I am gonna force my self to use bow.

You don't have to use a weapon that is primary dex. It can be secondary dex and be fine if you are dex based. That covers a lot of weapon choices. You don't lose that much from primary to secondary stats.

As an example, a very workable build I planned on at launch was musket/fire staff. At first, this seems like a terrible idea, but even just all in with int, the musket does just fine. Now I'm dex as well running musket/spear. But I'm legit seriously looking at the lifestaff/warhammer idea. It seems like it'll give me both a way to chop as dps with warhammer but also utility with life staff. And still be unaffected by being focus based since the warhammer would have a gem to convert focus effectively into a secondary stat for warhammer.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
hahaha, I went to see what was up and saw patch notes for a patch tomorrow morning instead:

https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/articles/update-1-0-1

One thing I noticed is that apparently turrets in the war is changing to hitscan.

Edit: afk change and zane is getting a respawn rate buff for those stuck on that quest.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I know jayztwocents is triggering to people, but wanted to share anyway. His latest video has him showing off some comedy with new world with a pair of 3090s. Specifically, the game was offering a 4k resolution even though his monitor is 1440 with nvidia's dsr off. And the game will run at 4k downscaled to 1440. But in doing so, the hardware was doing some crazy power spikes just sitting in the menu. It was there to a degree with his msi 3090 as well, but the evga 3090 really just went crazy with power draw. Like, 120+% spikes kind of power draw. Including jumping to over 400w. I checked for me and I dunno what is going on with his set up because new world only maxes at 2156x1440 for me which is the max res of my monitor. Is this the smoking gun though? Probably not. Is it possible it is part of the puzzle? There is a good possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A0sLVgJ7qU

tldr: if you are a person that likes to overclock your gpu, you may want to undo it for new world for the time being. I doubt the patch tomorrow is fixing this as it isn't in the notes.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

are territory standing benefits additive or multiplicative? i add a +125 storage and a +150 storage but i don't have +275 added?

It is whatever is offered next. Think of it as tiers. Instead of +125, you get +150 storage. So +25 per rank. Same for the other cards as well. Instead of +9% territory standing bonus, it'll be 13.5% for example.

Edit: Also, for thread fun here, goonwest just had a little weird pubbie drama I guess. One of the guilds that was with the purple team just dropped and switched to cov. Something about preferring to be with the underdog but also the syn chat was weird. I'm legit surprised people can switch already though. Thought you couldn't switch until 120 days. And you can't create a character, so delete and rerolling wouldn't work either.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 6, 2021

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Another thing in musket's favor is that it has INT as a secondary stat. Which allows you to go int and use pretty much any weapon either through direct/secondary int stat or via a plethora of gems. Likewise, the left side is really kind of broken in a beautiful way. Passive that drops all forms of damage fall off. As in, your damage to a person in the face is the same as a person 100m away. And to assist you, there is a zoom option at the bottom. Another passive lets you hip fire with the same full accuracy as an aimed shot. Lastly, another passive encourages headshots by offering a free instant reload if you get three headshots in a row. Not counting the rapid fire 5 shots available in shooter's stance.

Looks like bezos' replacement is already strutting and gloating about new world's success. I'd say it is a bit premature to be take a high five lap when your game is only a week old. I wonder what his reaction is going to be once the cliff dive really starts to happen closer to a month after launch.
https://www.pcgamer.com/new-worlds-success-has-amazon-ceo-convinced-games-could-be-the-companys-largest-entertainment-sector/

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BadLlama posted:

What is the MLG Pro gamer move for housing choice? I assume something up north so you are near the high level zones?

Had to search back as I thought I had seen something about it before..

Also

orange juche posted:

For the goon asking about life staff/warhammer build

This is a really fun build so far. Way more than I thought it would be honestly.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

Yup - I think the usage of all tiers of resources for high tier crafting was to keep all tiers relevant 6 months later.

Technically EVE does the same thing with the shittiest ores remaining a core building component for everything.

If low tier ores were not used for high end crafting, nobody would mine it after a while...

The quantity of low tier resources used in high end crafting is where I am not entirely onboard - but I do think the idea has merit in general.

It works in eve because it is literally impossible to run out of trit though.

That is the problem here. As I mentioned before in my own quick comparison. All four of the major types (iron, young tree, hemp, and hide) have the same scaling in crafting needs. The problem for iron is just relative to the other ones, it is super rare. Even when all the spawns were popped up. There just isn't enough of it in the world. Lumber is the easiest. Just step outside of town and you'll find a tree. The world is coated in it. Hide are also easy to come by since most of the enemies in the game are animals (specifically, wolves and boars). And finally hemp. Which is rare-ish, but not to the level of iron ore. Iron ore is just rare. Either the scaling needs to be changed or they need to add more mining nodes.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lysandus posted:

Is there an easy way to transfer storage from one town to another?

Talk your faction into taking the new place over or the old place, which ever it is. Then you can freely move them. Outside that, no.

Also, can we take a moment of chuckle at the fact the emotes are done in simlish?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Dubar posted:

Made it not quite to 25, and I've come to the conclusion that doing the same 3 quests killing the same 2 enemies until 60 just doesn't motivate me to log in. Gathering is fun but crafting is not. This game could potentially be good in a few years, but as of now it feels like there isn't much more to this game that I haven't seen

Yeah, I'm feeling there now too. I will say if you haven't dipped into brightwood yet, go take a peek. The music and ambience is so much a horror feeling.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Yeah, there have been some amazing pubbie names on the server for sure. I'll have to screenshot them next time I see it. I know there was a good one on the purple team.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
As impatient I want to be about the lake of content news, I'm going to stay a little calm. I mean, it took blizz several months before they announced anything post release iirc. Because they too were busy at the start trying to keep their servers from melting down.

I mean, remember this?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I wonder what they raised the cap to this time.

Also this guy makes a really good point about how server mergers maybe couldn’t happen or if they did it would be absolutely hosed.

https://youtu.be/z4UjJpsGW-M

He also makes a really good point about how having no low level characters can really screw the economy for the higher level crafters.

I gotta say, maybe I just enjoy british wit, but I'm enjoying his other videos. As an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv1Y3cSChK8

So thanks for sharing this dude.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Per that josh strife guy showed in passing in a video, have some gathering infographics breakdown. Gathering mind you, not crafting.

https://newworldfans.com/articles/new-world-gathering-infographics

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
He can't even get a rocket to stay off earth yet. I don't think him getting to the moon is happening any time soon. SpaceX is just eating up what market there is.

Edit: the cheevos are disturbing at times though. Restarted steam just to make sure, but apparently the cheevo for crafting 100 weaponsmithing items has me at being a 3%-er for doing that. I guess everyone is spear/musket/bow/rapier so the other weapons are not crafted as much.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 8, 2021

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
They have the best marketing platform for the game... twitch.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Pandaal posted:

This would be cool and also solve the gear sink problem.

Literally just implement a janky ripoff of the Wilderness from RS. Let people tag three items (or make it the most “valuable”) that won’t drop upon death, everything else hits the ground in that zone. Put some high level resources there as incentive for sheep and multiple points of egress so it’s harder to extract camp.

This sounds like the design they did in alpha (you dropped everything that wasn't attached to your body). That didn't last long as a design. Considering the swath of people that play this game, that kind of system would be considered straight punishment that would just kill the game except for the people that were still playing life is feudal before it shut down....

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Ort posted:

So if I rolled on psi omega or whatever the hell world set Royllo is on on a different server, I can’t transfer to Royllo? Am I reading that right?

No, that sounds like you'll be fine. This is saying that when royllo was full, you gave up and rolled on a uswest server with the intent to transfer back to royllo, you would be hosed. As long as the server is US East region, you will be able to xfer to royllo no problem.

Edit: just a reminder that there isn't many servers if any locked now. So outside of the hell grind problem, if you are forced to reroll because of the region thing, I know plancta is open for new characters again.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I appreciate how in this game when you run out of air because you can't swim you just straight up die. Its not like those other weaker games where your health slowly degrades no no this one you just straight up die.

A++ would get knocked off a bridge again and die because we can't swim.

You also can't jump once deep enough in the water. So you can't even jump on a ledge to pull yourself out.

I've hit a weird point in my character's life at level 28.. Too many crafting resources. While some of it is iron/wood/linen related, my biggest issue is cooking and alchemy. The city inventory is full and my character is currently half full. Alchemy and cooking each are taking up over 200 stones/lbs/whatever weight units they use. The thing is I didn't see much to make for either with the available ingredients. I already made a lot of space once by taking all the hyssop I had and throwing it on the ground to rot. Once out of weak potions, there is no reason to have them as far as I have noticed. Not even as a secondary resource.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Philthy posted:

It's funny, I even went into keybindings at least 4 times now and looked, and it's right loving there.

While in keybindings, go ahead and set a hotkey to swap weapons. For some unknown reason, the animation cycle for changing weapons hitting either 1 or 2 is slower than when using the swap weapon key.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

SFD just took another zone (Brightwood) gently caress yeah

Nice, was hoping you guys would get it. I've noticed the defection to cov has been hilarious too.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's been 2 weeks of playing a lot (for me, at least) and I think I'm almost done with this game already. The base gameplay, the combat, the feel of it, is good. The sound design is extremely good. The game is visually nice. The SA threads and drama have been loving amazing. SFD and everyone in it, rules. Helpful, generous, kind, and funny. I got to make Zangrief guild leader against his will and he became the faction leader and the server's literal Pope.

That's about where the good stuff ends.

-the UI is absolutely embarrassingly awful. buggy, laggy, lacking basic QoL
-the entire game is missing basic QoL features and it's so incredibly obvious every time I play. everything from the UI to crafting to movement and travel to basic quest/gameplay things.
-the PvE is 3.5 quests repeated forever. it's monotonous, boring, repetitive, and tedious.
-the PvP had potential but they whiffed it. the level differences makes open world pvp garbage and no one flags.
-because I'm behind the levelling curve (i'm level 31), I don't get to take part in wars because of the aforementioned level difference meaning no one will let me in. so I don't get to do the SOLE unique feature of this game, and that is absolute garbage.
-the crafting is terrible and pointless. gathering is actually good and pretty satisfying, but to what end? for what point?
-the entire game is just a circa-2006 grind fest.
-somehow the launch has been hosed up so badly that there is basically no influx of new players, already, and the low level zones are dead. in 2 weeks.

Guild Wars 2 is just so so much better of an MMO and far more worthy of my time, in every possible way. So I'm heading back there I think.

e: I just logged on to try once more, and there's just literally nothing to do other than grind out the aforementioned lovely boring repetitive quests. No variety, I can't even go pvp. This game just sucks.

The game also lacks a mail system so we can mail stacks of butter.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BadLlama posted:

When will I get to enter my prime information to receive an xp bonus and gold discount on property taxes?

Maybe in the future, but you can enter in your prime discount for a purple pirate outfit right now.

Also for fun bugs: No matter what your outer outfit looks like, the audio cues for your character are tied to the actual armor you are wearing. Wearing the aforementioned pirate hat but wearing a steel helm? Your character will still make sounds as if in an enclosed space. Likewise, that same cloth/leather outfit will instead have you make all kinds of metal chinking noises because of the metal gear underneath. I suppose this was intentional so you can't hide your armor type with a cloth outfit? I dunno.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Sheeit where do I do this

https://gaming.amazon.com/loot/newworld

In fact, this may be the last day of it if it isn't disabled yet. It is appears tomorrow starts pack 2 which is some pirate themed weapons. Looks like they are planning to run these packs on 2 week increments..

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Holy poo poo, that bug still exists? That is amazing.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Good news everyone. Influence gain for attackers is in fact too high.

https://www.reddit.com/r/newworldgame/comments/q6760u/dev_update_on_influence_mechanic_its_a_bug/

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Great axe is fun too. Same setup of using a focus gem.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

:thunk:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

pvp zones, where you can't leave town un-flagged, would do a lot to help I imagine.

Structured pvp you can queue into is always nice but if it's the primary way to do pvp it's just going to separate the populations.

The only problem with that is it will make the low level regions even more barren as the level 60 power levelers come back and just flex to even the level 30s let alone the newbies washed up on shore. And you thought asheron's call darktide was something.
Enhancing the pvp in this game isn't going to fix the problems of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lawlicaust posted:

A remake of WAR with updated graphics, better servers, and content that is finished would probably do very well today. WAR was just rushed out as an unfinished buggy, unstable, mess. There were some terrible ideas in there too (talent trees and specs were so bad) for sure but the core of that game was extremely fun.

Hmm, this story sounds very familiar…

I mean, anything EA has that story...