Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ASAPI posted:

Is the jury still out on "best builds for x"? I always make dumb choices in character builds because I try to use non video game logic.

Yeah, the game's young enough that I think the build meta is still in flux as people learn how things actually work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I decided to try heavy armor with warhammer/life staff and yep this rules extremely hard. I've barely leveled warhammer at all and I feel unkillable. Tons of grit, debuffs, and CC, and of course I can throw healing all over the place too.

Feels good being able to just facetank a group of open world enemies while my passive healing keeps me topped up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Full heavy armor healer feels better than I expected. I might also try going for medium weight at some point with like a couple pieces of heavy and then mix medium/light for the rest of the slots to fall into the medium weight class. Might be able to achieve similar levels of survivability with just a bit more mobility and damage/healing that way.

Also warhammer is way more fun than I expected and I think I like it more than hatchet as a combo with life staff. I've heard it's not very good in PvP but at least in larger-scale PvP I'm sure I'll be mostly a healer there anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Prel posted:

Heavy helm + chest, medium gloves + boots, light pants gives you medium weight just a hair under heavy, and lets you have the most overall armor while staying medium. It has felt good to me so far.

Perfect, thanks! I'll try that out next time I log on.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pigbottom posted:

That's sounds good. I haven't given warhammer a try yet, but reading this might make me give it a try.

I recommend the right side tree's skills, they're all big AoEs and come with debuffs and stuns/staggers/knockdowns. I imagine the left side does more DPS but when I'm soloing the CC is really nice to give myself room to cast a heal, and I imagine being able to drop a big stun in the middle of a pack when you're doing a dungeon will come in handy.

Feels very paladin, highly recommend

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really thought I'd be all about rapier and spear in this but when I was playing with those I thought the combat was bad and I wasn't having fun. Warhammer, great axe, and hatchet have all been much more my speed, which is surprising, that's not usually my style. And now warhammer/life staff paladin mode just made things really click and I'm excited to log back on this evening.

I'm forced to conclude the game is fun.

Also warhammer makes really great metallic clang noises when you hit things and that's a great bonus

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Demon Of The Fall posted:

my weapon skills are all over the place, I might just reroll and heavily focus warhammer/life staff this time. at level 18 I don't think I will lose too much

You don't have to reroll at all. You can respec your stat points for free at that level, and getting your weapon skills up to a usable level is pretty quick.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To talk about the game itself for a bit:

How does the process of claiming territory work? I know there's a war after you build up your faction's influence in that territory, but how do you build that influence? I know player slots are fairly limited for getting into wars so I'm wondering what other ways there are for players to contribute.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JackDRipper posted:

So here's what happens. You flag yourself for PVP and do the PVP Faction Quest. Those faction quest are then turned in to garner influence within a zone. You can also do PVP in that zone and kill for influence. When you kill somebody they lose the faction quest and have to get them again. If you die with the same quest you lose them and have to get them again. Pretty straight forward but it's been counter productive to actually engage and chase in PVP rather than just do the PVP quest that are PVE based to turn in for influence.

Ash1138 posted:

complete and turn in the PvP quests offered by the faction rep in that territory's settlement. the catch is that if you die before turning in, you fail the quest. it's a lot easier to do as a massive group so if the call goes out to counter a push by another faction, hop on the discord voice channel for pvp and do what whoever is leading says to do.

i'll be honest, if done right it's not particularly exciting because it's not PvP, it's PvE while flagged

That sounds like something that might need some tweaking down the road then. I guess it's good to have quests that at least encourage people to flag up but I imagine they want to encourage more actual PvP clashes with this kind of thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JackDRipper posted:

This is something most of us doing the missions in large groups when called upon have all been in agreement on. Change the PVP missions from PVE based to actual PVP missions. Make it to where you need to capture or defend the fort for x amount of time, make it to where you need to kill x amount of people in that area, and change the other mission to a kill people within 700km of the Town itself. This way you're encouraging PVP by the Fort's and Town's instead of sending people to collect wood for pvp influence.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. I can understand wanting to allow PvE players to contribute to the war effort, which I'm guessing is why there are those PvE objectives in the PvP missions, but in doing so it seems like they're accidentally discouraging PvP. Maybe they could also make it so that you don't auto-fail your mission if you die or something, but instead there's an objective that can be failed or something, which might also make actually PvPing less disincentivized. A failure condition is definitely needed but the one they have now seems to really discourage actually engaging in fights.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Unfortunately no, I already looked at that one. I think it got buried in the old thread in the middle of the reveal.
This site is good for single weapon skill sets for sure, but I know there was a full build listed. Obvious the hammer will be gemmed to focus.

I think the advice I've seen is:
  • Get at least 50 Con and 150 Focus.
  • Hammer gemmed with an amber.
  • Common life staff spells are Sacred Ground, Beacon, and either Orb of Protection or the single-target heal on the right-side tree (don't remember the name).
  • Common hammer skills are mostly the right-side skills for their CC, debuffs, and AoE.
  • Either heavy armor, or mix heavy, medium, and light armor to stay in the medium weight category (heavy helm and chest, medium gloves and boots, light legs should do it I think).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can gem for Str. Pretty sure you can only gem for INT or FOC.

I think this is correct.

The gems aren't just a "make this scale with another stat" modifier. They convert a portion of the weapon's damage to an element, and then that scales with the corresponding stat. All the elements scale with either Intelligence or Focus.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

I don't think this is correct, reading the gem descriptions

I don't have it in front of me but I find the descriptions kinda vague so it's very likely I'm wrong.

Either way I don't think there are STR or DEX scaling gems, unless I'm extremely wrong.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thronde posted:

So Int gemmed Rapier actually get higher damage than a full dex build Rapier?

No, slightly less.

No gem = 0.9x Dex and 0.65x Int
Gem = 0.45x Dex and 0.9x Int

That said it also doesn't make that big of a difference unless you're leveling both Dex and Int, which you probably aren't because you get a lot more value going all-in on one or the other.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Lol well so much for that, FED decided to gently caress us and I guess we're swapping factions to gently caress em back.

On the bright side this is now a much more dramatic story that will be more fun to tell in the future

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Frog Act posted:

How does healing work in this game? I played the very first open beta and didn't enjoy it and it didn't seem like the trinity was really present. Now it seems like things have changed a lot and you can actually spec into healing/support and there's more PVE?

The Life Staff weapon has heals and buff spells. There are two targeted single-target heals, but most of them are AoEs that you either lay on the ground (like Sacred Ground) or attach to either an enemy or player (Beacon) that do heals over time. You can also spec so that your basic attacks do a small heal if they hit a friendly target, too.

Life Staff works well with either Ice Gauntlet for a more caster approach, or if you want to be a melee/healer hybrid, it's great with hatchet, great axe, or (my favorite) warhammer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

https://youtu.be/TaA5p4cFRrE

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One of the issues with any full loot or permanently degradable gear ideas is that New World's gear is too much like modern MMO gear for that to really work. It's soulbound, has lots of stats and you have to slot things into it, and enough goes into getting it that it's not really going to be acceptable for players to lose it.

For a system where it is possible to permanently lose gear (either through getting looted or the gear breaking) to work, you need gear to be a bit more interchangeable and/or disposable. This would also allow for crafters to be in high demand even when people are already all endgame geared because that gear will unavoidably need to be replaced, and that would be good for people who are really into crafting/trading.

It's probably too late to implement something like that at this point--the game is built around a more WoW/other modern MMO-style gear system now and that's not really feasible to change without a giant overhaul that I'm sure plenty of players would also hate--but that's how it could have worked if they wanted to go that way.

It might be possible to have degradable gear like how Runescape 3 does it, where it degrades at a predictable rate but the idea is that the gear is strong enough that using it will let you get more resources than it took to get the gear, so ultimately it's a profitable investment. Though I think for that to work there'd need to be a pretty solid cap on vertical progression, no raising the level cap, things like that (you wouldn't want non-degradable gear to be able to outperform degradable gear) and I'm not sure what (if any) plans have been announced about longer-term progression yet.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 17, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I know a lot of people have asked for New World to have a version of Runescape's Wilderness, but I wonder if the game could copy The Division's concept of the Dark Zone instead. The idea there is that there are special resources you can only gather in the Dark Zone, but if you die there, other players can steal the things you've gotten--not the gear you're wearing or your normal inventory, just the special Dark Zone items you've found.

Like maybe there could be "Corrupted Zones" where you're auto-flagged for PvP, but where you can find "corrupted" crafting materials and gear that are better than what you can get elsewhere, or unique or rare in some way. But you can't recall or fast travel until you leave the Corrupted Zone, and if you die, you drop any "corrupted" items you're carrying.

So the idea is that you're motivated to go there to get "corrupted" resources, which you can either sell for a lot of money or use to make really good things yourself (or use the good corrupted gear after it's purified back in town or something), but you always risk getting killed and losing what you've gathered. Or you can kill other players to steal theirs. It's a way to do a "you risk losing things" PvP without full loot, since you never lose your actual worn gear or most of your inventory.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You could combine that with Runescape 3's concept of degradable armor, where the strongest gear available will always eventually break and cannot be repaired. It'd be a tier above the best currently-available gear but you'd want to be judicious about when you use it because eventually it will break and there's no way around that. You'd want to use it in situations where what you get for using it is more than the cost of using it.

If the "corrupted" gear from the hypothetical Corrupted Lands can't be repaired, that creates a sort of loop that could work out. People go into the Corrupted Lands to get corrupted gear to use or sell, and there's always demand for it because people can't ever just build a perfect set and then they're done--eventually they will need replacements.

And then because you're auto-flagged in the Corrupted Lands, players from other factions can hunt you down and take your corrupted loot--or you can hunt them down and take theirs. It wouldn't be quite like the Dark Zone because there are factions and you probably wouldn't want a situation where players of your own faction are also the enemy, so there are people you can team up with who you know you can trust. Might lead to some good group vs. group PvP.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well no but it's fun to think about

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't have to think my video game ideas are gonna happen to want to post about them. I think about video games and post about them because it is fun, I recommend it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

this is an insanely good standup special btw