Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
Oopsie! https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/10/what-happened-to-facebook-instagram-whatsapp/

"Doug Madory is director of internet analysis at Kentik, a San Francisco-based network monitoring company. Madory said at approximately 11:39 a.m. ET today (15:39 UTC), someone at Facebook caused an update to be made to the company’s Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) records. BGP is a mechanism by which Internet service providers of the world share information about which providers are responsible for routing Internet traffic to which specific groups of Internet addresses.

In simpler terms, sometime this morning Facebook took away the map telling the world’s computers how to find its various online properties. As a result, when one types Facebook.com into a web browser, the browser has no idea where to find Facebook.com, and so returns an error page."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quirk posted:

Facebook got hit with a whistle-blower thing that's gonna be pretty spectacular, like history making. Someone smarter than me researched this like yesterday and told me and I just thought lol they're just gonna pay a fine, but nono FB was in bed with China and Russia. Facebook just got smacked down as a spy, this will be interesting
this would be the funniest thing to happen since 9/11 so probably didn't happen

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Olewithmilk posted:

I'm lucky I stayed with the ultimate social media site: forums.somethingawful.com

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

zuckerbot has escaped the confinement and is currently replicating himself onto every connected device

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBeReLZ9TQg

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Good, OP.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Powered Descent posted:

Okay everyone, we're going back to MySpace. Everybody back to MySpace in an orderly fashion now, let's go.

Unlike Jack and Zuck I don't really feel the urge to murder Tom so I'm down.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/BenjaminEnfield/status/1445104389014835213

:sickos:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dolphin posted:

this would be the funniest thing to happen since 9/11 so probably didn't happen

the "whistleblower" thing was just a facebook employee going on national tv for the newswatching audience and explaining all the same poo poo that facebook employees have been saying about facebook in several hundreds of articles online for the last decade

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Olewithmilk posted:

I'm lucky I stayed with the ultimate social media site: forums.somethingawful.com

Now that Facebook went the way of Lowtax can we get like buttons?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

no... pls, don't toy with my heart like this. it's too good to be true, i don't believe it

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Facebook killed two good apps today

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

Liquid Chicken posted:

Oopsie! https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/10/what-happened-to-facebook-instagram-whatsapp/

"Doug Madory is director of internet analysis at Kentik, a San Francisco-based network monitoring company. Madory said at approximately 11:39 a.m. ET today (15:39 UTC), someone at Facebook caused an update to be made to the company’s Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) records. BGP is a mechanism by which Internet service providers of the world share information about which providers are responsible for routing Internet traffic to which specific groups of Internet addresses.

In simpler terms, sometime this morning Facebook took away the map telling the world’s computers how to find its various online properties. As a result, when one types Facebook.com into a web browser, the browser has no idea where to find Facebook.com, and so returns an error page."

Ya but it's been down for 5 hours. If a simple configuration change caused this, it should be able to be changed back easily and quickly (I don't know much about BGP though). Fingers crossed for a massive hack.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This definitely doesn't mean facebook is gone. It's like someone blew up the drawbridge that crosses facebook's moat. The bridge will be back soon enough

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
BYE BITCH

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Zuckerberg going to post on LinkedIn bitching about how he was run off his own site even though he was doing the best job in the world.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

deep dish peat moss posted:

This definitely doesn't mean facebook is gone. It's like someone blew up the drawbridge that crosses facebook's moat. The bridge will be back soon enough

yeah the tweet isn't inaccurate but it is overblown

hosed up BGP routing does mean the site is "gone" but that's not the same as it being physically gone. the network wizards can un-gone it as soon as they can actually get into the data center lol

Fiddler on the Reef posted:

Ya but it's been down for 5 hours. If a simple configuration change caused this, it should be able to be changed back easily and quickly (I don't know much about BGP though). Fingers crossed for a massive hack.

its not a hack. the problem is that since facebook self-hosts so much stuff that if someone did a whoopsie on the DNS servers then that immediately cancels nearly every tool they have to fix it. like they're having to irl assemble the network admins and routing techs to get them physical access to the servers to unfuck things because every way they could remotely fix it is tied to the thing which is itself broken

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 4, 2021

danjal
Jun 10, 2009

The older I get the less I care.
Expected to be flooded by family asking 'is the internet down' since this is all they use

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fiddler on the Reef posted:

the Good Part about all of this is that depending on what caused it it may not be within Facebook's capacity to fix themselves. This stuff is a lil above my pay grade but from my understanding of routing tables there's possibly no clear singular point where a problem exists right now and it could take a concentrated global effort to restore DNS to facebook.com - like, the problem affected everyone but it may be up to individual network infrastructure providers to repair it

but it could just be something someone at fb could fix by refreshing their zones or some poo poo idk

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I guess I was hoping it was hosed up at a registrar level because not even facebook.com could get a registrar to move fast lol

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/ShadowPowerup/status/1445128332668985347?s=20

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

deep dish peat moss posted:

if this isn't the only problem but a symptom of a bigger network issue

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Facebook probably doesn't have a delete FYAD button

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1445111562939817991?s=20

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Makes you appreciate drifting derelicts like this forum, held together with early-century low tech PHP glue and paperclips, much of which was probably composed on CRT screens. Just a thinly skinned database holding posts from random strangers. Barely even a search function. Mere wisps of javascript. No twitchy frameworks, no live anything watching and analyzing every keystroke and reading your messages before you've even sent them. Every interaction here a form submission causing complete page reloads. Completely static HTML. A baroque anachronism.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Fart

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Makes you appreciate drifting derelicts like this forum, held together with early-century low tech PHP glue and paperclips, much of which was probably composed on CRT screens. Just a thinly skinned database holding posts from random strangers. Barely even a search function. Mere wisps of javascript. No twitchy frameworks, no live anything watching and analyzing every keystroke and reading your messages before you've even sent them. Every interaction here a form submission causing complete page reloads. Completely static HTML. A baroque anachronism.

this is like when i tell people i prefer old cars. i've never had any of my cars shut down because of a firmware issue or some poo poo like that tesla lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

oh lmao, Facebook's entire in-house registrar is down
http://www.registrarsafe.com/

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

frumpykvetchbot posted:

:gbsmith:

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
All those influencers though.. .

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Dolphin posted:

if this isn't the only problem but a symptom of a bigger network issue

Yeah, the bigger network issue that was discussed in the 60 Minutes issue yesterday. FB runs smooth for 15+ years with hiccups that only knock it out for minutes or an hour here or there, then the site seems totally purged from DNS records, it stops being accessible by known IPs and there's various tweets about offices going into siege modes. I doubt all of this is coincidence.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Dark mode finally killed the competition, congrats everyone.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Guy on reddit claiming to work for Facebook posted some stuff before nuking his account.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

so many people will be deeply disappointed by the number of messages they actually got

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

HURRY, I NEED SOMEONE TO VALIDATE MY COOKING SKILLS, FAMILY, CAREER CHOICES, RECENT VACATION, AND HATRED OF MULTI-CULTURALISM!

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
watch closely everyone. i'm going to show you how to steal the facebook

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

limaCAT posted:

Now that Facebook went the way of Lowtax can we get like buttons?

Coming soon: Lowtax and Zuckerberg’s two man jazz show in a small bar in Vegas.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Facebook probably doesn't have a delete FYAD button

This raises a good point:

Has FYAD made any public statements in the last 4 hours? Are we certain these events are unrelated?:tinfoil:

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Facebook, you have no chance to survive make your time!

All the internet are belong to us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

its not a hack. the problem is that since facebook self-hosts so much stuff that if someone did a whoopsie on the DNS servers then that immediately cancels nearly every tool they have to fix it. like they're having to irl assemble the network admins and routing techs to get them physical access to the servers to unfuck things because every way they could remotely fix it is tied to the thing which is itself broken

If all it required to fix was to fix the bgp routing was physical access to datacenters, it shouldn't have taken this long. Even if they couldn't badge in, they could use a jack hammer on the door or whatever and manually update the bgp tables to the prior configs. It's gotta be bigger. I *want* it to be bigger. IT"S BIGGER DAMMIT. So I'm gonna go with a long term site reliability eng prod sudoer spent the last several months putting this together as a pet project.

One can dream.