Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

So, does this mean I lose my Oculus Quest games? I got a Quest 2 a couple months ago and made a facebook profile (because I had to) to play games on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
guys add me on msn messenger

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I hope Facebook is gone forever.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Someone who knows more about networking than I do should check out the ICANN Registrar Agreement specifically the section titled 2.2 Service Level Agreement Matrix

If RegistrarSafe (Facebook's in-house domain registrar) fails to meet ICANN's SLAs as dictated by the SLA Matrix then we can submit complaints to ICANN and possibly have RegistrarSafe's accreditation revoked

Their RDDS only has to be down for a total of 864 minutes to fail ICANN's SLA and their RDDS has deffo been down throughout this

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 4, 2021

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

So, does this mean I lose my Oculus Quest games? I got a Quest 2 a couple months ago and made a facebook profile (because I had to) to play games on it.

my understanding is that anything you already downloaded is fine but you'll be unable to dl anything new

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Hopefully down forever.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

I do not want facebook to come back.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
We're supposed to go outside and see the motherships aren't we?

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
basically cloud platforms like facebook's are like an electric grid. you may have heard that grids can suffer minor outages without problem but if the whole grid goes down it can take much longer to bring everything back online

in theory fb can fix their bgp routing and everything will start working again

in practice there could be cascading effects of this for days as everything (systems both internal and external to facebook) tries to come back online again at once, causing further outages

it's totes cool

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

It's time to return to the one true internet - forums

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Hopefully Facebook is down forever, and the next photo of Zuckerberg will be when he's wearing Princess Leia's slave bikini while collared and chained to Jeff Bezos' giant golden throne on Bezos' megayacht.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
do you remember the dopamine hit from seeing like counters go up

those were the days eh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I welcome all the Facebook refugees who have now decided to check out their second choice in social media, the Something Awful Forums.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Green Wing posted:

It's time to return to the one true internet - forums

im ready to be dead and gay forever

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

Someone who knows more about networking than I do should check out the ICANN Registrar Agreement specifically the section titled 2.2 Service Level Agreement Matrix

If RegistrarSafe (Facebook's in-house domain registrar) fails to meet ICANN's SLAs as dictated by the SLA Matrix then we can submit complaints to ICANN and possibly have RegistrarSafe's accreditation revoked

Their RDDS only has to be down for a total of 864 minutes to fail ICANN's SLA and their RDDS has deffo been down throughout this

This is legitimately a 100% real possible way to completely kneecap Facebook forever if everything plays out right. They would lose all of their domains and the only existing process for reclaiming a domain name lost in such a way would involve a very lengthy legal proceeding, of which only a very tiny percentage of cases have ever been successful, where they appeal to the very corporation that they are pissing off by not meeting their technical SLA. Not even the US government could step in on Facebook's behalf lol

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 4, 2021

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

This is legitimately a 100% real possible way to completely kneecap Facebook forever if everything plays out right. They would lose all of their domains and the only existing process for reclaiming a domain name lost in such a way would involve a very lengthy legal proceeding, of which only a very tiny percentage of cases have ever been successful, where they appeal to the very corporation that they are pissing off by not meeting their technical SLA. Not even the US government could step in on Facebook's behalf lol

This is all extremely confusing.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

ascii genitals posted:

I do not want facebook to come back.

:hmmyes:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I’m glad it’s gone

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The best part is ICANN wouldn't even have any particular motivation to help Facebook, because Facebook only pays them the same $4k/year that every other registrar does.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

ICANN should gently caress them up, for the good of humanity

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
DEATH TO FACEBOOK :black101:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fishing with the fam posted:

if their registrar is down for 14.4 hours we can all submit complaints and get it booted from the internet

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

please do not get my hopes up

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Can we delete Twitter too while we're at it? Some hacker please get cracking tia.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/lorenzofb/status/1445124325280002060

BOO! Boo this tweet!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

fishing with the fam posted:

There's a company called RegistrarSafe that is a 100% subsidiary of Facebook. Think of it like a franchise - they paid the $4000/year franchise fee to ICANN to be able to open their own location of the franchise. Instead of hamburgers, they sell domain names.

The franchise owners have a lot of rules that have to be followed to keep your franchise open. One of them is that you have to keep a database of the identities of all of your customers. Another is that said database is never allowed to be down or inaccessible for more than 864 consecutive minutes.

Currently that database is down for RegistrarSafe, because everything is down for everything owned by Facebook. If that outage exceeds the 864 minute mark, we (internet users) can all submit complaints to the franchise owners saying "Hey, this location's database has been down for <x> minutes and counting."

If the franchise owners get enough of these to be annoyed by them, they will permanently revoke the franchisee's rights to operate a franchise, forever, with essentially no hope of appeal.

They will also take all of the domain names ever sold by that franchise and basically just let them disappear and go away.

As soon as that happens Facebook is no longer the legal owner of facebook.com, instagram.com, etc. and a whole bunch of their legal protections for ownership of those domains disappears. If you bought facebook.com and started a website about a book that you're writing named "face", there would be absolutely zero legal pressure for you to give facebook.com to the company named Facebook, because your book is not in competition with their website.

Throughout all of this ICANN doesn't give a gently caress how big Facebook is because they pay them the exact same $4000/year that every other franchisee does, and they much prefer working with franchisees who don't put them through bullshit like this.\

e: here's the best part: on the registrar end there is absolutely no way at all to predict the exact time that the domains would disappear and become available to the public. Facebook would have no way of knowing the exact
moment the domains will become purchasable, and it would be first-come, first-served when they do.

I don't know how likely this all is, but it's possible and it would mostly come down to how lovely or good the business relationship between Facebook (DBA RegistrarSafe) and ICANN is.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 4, 2021

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the complete destruction of facebook 2would be the best thing that ever happened in my life.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Desperately trying to research vaccines on Classmates.com

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ICANN more like ICANN'T am I right

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

:yeshaha:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
What was that social media network launched by Jimmy Wales from wikipedia that was supposed to fix everything wrong with social media but it never went anywhere

oh WT:Social

edit: booo facebook is coming back to life now

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 4, 2021

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Throughout all of this ICANN doesn't give a gently caress how big Facebook is because they pay them the exact same $4000/year that every other franchisee does, and they much prefer working with franchisees who don't put them through bullshit like this.

You're forgetting the part where Zuck will just send the ICANN senior management team a DM and offer each a cool $69,000 to find some excuse to forget the whole episode ever happened. Do you seriously think that Facebook can be killed by one weird trick?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dignity Van Houten posted:

You're forgetting the part where Zuck will just send the ICANN senior management team a DM and offer each a cool $69,000 to find some excuse to forget the whole episode ever happened. Do you seriously think that Facebook can be killed by one weird trick?

I mean, they stopped taking Bob Parsons' bribes back in 2014

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

There's a company called RegistrarSafe that is a 100% subsidiary of Facebook. Think of it like a franchise - they paid the $4000/year franchise fee to ICANN to be able to open their own location of the franchise. Instead of hamburgers, they sell domain names.

The franchise owners have a lot of rules that have to be followed to keep your franchise open. One of them is that you have to keep a database of the identities of all of your customers. Another is that said database is never allowed to be down or inaccessible for more than 864 consecutive minutes.

Currently that database is down for RegistrarSafe, because everything is down for everything owned by Facebook. If that outage exceeds the 864 minute mark, we (internet users) can all submit complaints to the franchise owners saying "Hey, this location's database has been down for <x> minutes and counting."

If the franchise owners get enough of these to be annoyed by them, they will permanently revoke the franchisee's rights to operate a franchise, forever, with essentially no hope of appeal.

They will also take all of the domain names ever sold by that franchise and basically just let them disappear and go away.

As soon as that happens Facebook is no longer the legal owner of facebook.com, instagram.com, etc. and a whole bunch of their legal protections for ownership of those domains disappears. If you bought facebook.com and started a website about a book that you're writing named "face", there would be absolutely zero legal pressure for you to give facebook.com to the company named Facebook, because your book is not in competition with their website.

Throughout all of this ICANN doesn't give a gently caress how big Facebook is because they pay them the exact same $4000/year that every other franchisee does, and they much prefer working with franchisees who don't put them through bullshit like this.\

e: here's the best part: on the registrar end there is absolutely no way at all to predict the exact time that the domains would disappear and become available to the public. Facebook would have no way of knowing the exact
moment the domains will become purchasable, and it would be first-come, first-served when they do.

I don't know how likely this all is, but it's possible and it would mostly come down to how lovely or good the business relationship between Facebook (DBA RegistrarSafe) and ICANN is.

Where do we submit complaints? Goon project for the good of humanity.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
It's back up and slowly responding for me again, now.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Is there precedent for something like that scenario occurring with a situation of this magnitude though? Like hey I'd jizz my pants if that played out, but I think you fail to see the scope of the mayhem that would ensue if it occurred. No way in hell would it be allowed to happen without a chorus of "too big to fail" rhetoric stopping it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Maybe there's a boat stuck in it.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

WhatsApp is back guys but let’s switch to msn messenger anyway

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Catastrophe posted:

It's back up and slowly responding for me again, now.

GAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

gbs but from 2004 posted:

WhatsApp is back guys but let’s switch to msn messenger anyway

I had zero new whtasapp messages