Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Driftingmouse posted:

And Facebook is back up, but apparently Trump's Facebook page has been reinstated. No seriously.

https://www.patriots.win/p/13zg0FbztZ/facebook-is-back-look-who-else-i/

The Qanon 10 days of darkness conspiracy theory was true except this was its only goal and they managed to do it like 10 hours instead of 10 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

One time I shidded on facebook and facebook cried

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
here to brag that i deleted facebook 7 years ago and don't use social media and if you google my name all that comes up is poo poo about high school sports and my myspace pic from when I was 16 and I look good in it.

theres a channel on discord where I hang out though and it's weird cuz it's a bunch of guys from my hometown who never really hung out back then but all play computer games together and watch mma streams

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

phydeaux posted:

Conspiracy quoting myself but yeah, here we are less than 2 hours after the market closes and it’s coming back…

I understand the DNS issue but it’s just such a nagging feeling that there was a conference call after the 60 minutes piece last night where FB execs and analysts were predicting percentage losses in the double digits for the stock this morning. Through a combination of crippling a good portion of social media communication and pulling a Trump by distracting people from a current disaster by means of manufacturing a new one they might by quite happy with the modest 5% loss today.

You vastly overestimate how much the American people give a single poo poo about 60 minutes. The average American has the attention span of a goldfish and has reached maximum scandal saturation. Any harm to stock value is temporary, ultimately nothing will come of this or the whistleblower story.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
If you do the Konami code on the FB homepage Mark Zuckerberg comes to your house and beats the poo poo out of you

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i'm extremely confident that I'd win a fight against Zuck if not for the fact that he is 7'9" tall.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i'm extremely confident that I'd win a fight against Zuck if not for the fact that he is 7'9" tall.

he's made of metal what the gently caress are you going to do, he'd snap your neck with his wrist.

phydeaux
Jul 29, 2003
Nose Army. Jigsaw. Smellsign.

Vernii posted:

You vastly overestimate how much the American people give a single poo poo about 60 minutes. The average American has the attention span of a goldfish and has reached maximum scandal saturation. Any harm to stock value is temporary, ultimately nothing will come of this or the whistleblower story.

I agree with you partly but I think you’re overestimating how much the average Americans you referenced actually drive the market - average Americans are mostly working poor and the younger generation that can’t afford much of anything let alone investments in volatile stock. I think the boomers and the older generation that have money in mutual funds and individual stock, the institutional investors and the fund managers do lend credence to obsolete news sources like 60 minutes and the management of large corporate structures like FB are aware of that.

Will it recover? Absolutely, but they will still fight to minimize short term losses in order to get to that new record high sooner rather than later. I also think that it’s 100% driven by price performance and not in any way to avoid criminal charges. They know they are above the law and have complete contempt for the rest of us. They’ll do whatever it takes to get richer quicker because the most they risk are fines and penalties which are just the cost of doing business.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

SRQ posted:

he's made of metal what the gently caress are you going to do, he'd snap your neck with his wrist.

there's that too

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

phydeaux posted:

I agree with you partly but I think you’re overestimating how much the average Americans you referenced actually drive the market - average Americans are mostly working poor and the younger generation that can’t afford much of anything let alone investments in volatile stock. I think the boomers and the older generation that have money in mutual funds and individual stock, the institutional investors and the fund managers do lend credence to obsolete news sources like 60 minutes and the management of large corporate structures like FB are aware of that.

Will it recover? Absolutely, but they will still fight to minimize short term losses in order to get to that new record high sooner rather than later. I also think that it’s 100% driven by price performance and not in any way to avoid criminal charges. They know they are above the law and have complete contempt for the rest of us. They’ll do whatever it takes to get richer quicker because the most they risk are fines and penalties which are just the cost of doing business.

Those people aren't going to care either, especially when the alternative "cover up" conspiracy cost the company billions of dollars in stock value and $160m/hr in revenue. It'll rebound by the end of the week but its still a messy, embarassing PR scandal with a hefty price tag vs "person says FB is doing all the things most Americans already thought they were up to". No one is going to deliberately embroil the company in a PR crisis just to cover up a story no one of any importance will care about by Friday.

EDIT: Basically think of that scene in Austin Powers where the executive board explains to Dr. Evil that his villainous schemes are peanuts compared to their actual, legit operations.

Vernii fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 5, 2021

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

there's that too

Zuck is a bot and Three Laws compliant and cannot kill a human directly. He can however kill indirectly through facebook and its global poltical discourse and this is fine under his beepboop metrics.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I didn't notice anything, The Palace is still up:

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I would say please inform me when all the DNS servers go down ...... but.....

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

knife_of_justice posted:

Facebook, you have no chance to survive make your time!

All the internet are belong to us!

Hey! I understood that reference!

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Move fast,
break things,
destroy capitalism.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I wish Zuck was physically tied to Facebook in a way that when it goes down he also loses his life force and has a rare opportunity to reflect on the damage he’s caused to the world.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

SRQ posted:

Spray him with the hose and short-circuit him.

Anyhow, just going to throw a random thought in here. I didn't have a facebook page until 4 years ago. The only reason I had one is because I was studying at the time and the technical college I was at used facebook to send out timetables. It's October now so I think any new students have already got theirs.

It's really just amazing how insidious facebook became to some things. Impossible to avoid, almost. That put far too much power in the hands of a handful of people.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I wish Zuck was physically tied to Facebook in a way that when it goes down he also loses his life force and has a rare opportunity to reflect on the damage he’s caused to the world.

I mean has he made an appearence? Maybe he did brick.

LOL even Donnie (while pumped full of drugs) made "keep calm" speeches.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it would be funny if it went down today for the exact same reason

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Mozi posted:

it would be funny if it went down today for the exact same reason

Yeah it would, but they already sawed off the door to the routers rack.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

How can you be that rich with a haircut that bad?, it's like he's trying to make us insane.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

old beast lunatic posted:

How can you be that rich with a haircut that bad?, it's like he's trying to make us insane.

Zuck: Please, barber, format my keratin growth into that which is visually appealing to other humans.

Barber: I gotchu fam

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
zuck’s a dork there I said it

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

gbs but from 2004 posted:

zuck’s a dork there I said it

Prepare for the zuccening

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

old beast lunatic posted:

He literally modeled his haircut after Augustus.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Zuck me balls!

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Cacator posted:

He literally modeled his haircut after Augustus.

That's amazing, thanks for letting me know

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I bet someone is getting a really handsome severance today

I'm very jealous

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Attempt to imitate human emotion failure.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz_lzEhyryY

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
please zuck toast is old.

the new zuck bot vid is his july 4th post from this year of him doing a wave board with a flag. because thats normal humans do.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I only use facebook for groups that are of interest to me now, literally don't care about any friends and what they post, have muted most.

Funny that it loving started that "reels" poo poo recently too where they basically try to promote influencer type women's stuff like I give a poo poo.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I'm just now noticing that Zuck has a broken/crooked nose. I wonder who the lucky bastard was and if I can ever buy him a drink.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Ventral EggSac posted:

That's amazing, thanks for letting me know

You're welcome, have a good day :)

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
WhatsApp only down again, so what

Adbot