Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
targeted advertising is pretty much perfect, right?

if you see an ad, it's because people who do whatever you're doing are more likely to pay for what's being advertised than people who aren't
(iirc some of you are vile ad company trash who will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes and can confirm this)

so we can draw reasonable extrapolations about a t.v. show's audience based on what's advertised when it airs, right?
if you're watching adult swim, they advertise yummy fast food in a dumb silly way because you're probably high
and, that's the only example I can think of

so
my question is
why do so many
1) bikers
and
2) people with psoriasis

watch Judge Judy? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Heres what Ive learned.

If you have cable or live tv and watch during the day time, advertisers are CONVINCED you are a brain rattled Numismatist. Or that you are a soon to fade away boomer who is just dying for a REVERSE MORTGAGE.

Youtube ads that have targeted me, apparently latched on to the fact that i used to play Final Fantasy Mobius, and think i really want to play Brave Exvius or some other Final Fantasy Mobile game. These ads are on my pc.

My spotify which i cant afford premium for at all times, when im on ads, has latched on to the thought that i want, Sam Adams beer ( I never drink ), that i shop at home depot ( never been ), and that i love whataburger. 1/3 aint bad spotify. Now the en espaniol ad for a dealership in lubbock texas is odd since i live in a different city is weird especially since youve been doing it for THREE YEARS. Also spotify never does ads for any other companies which im told is very odd. IT just does spotify ads and ads for sam adams, whataburger, home depot, and the same loving dealership occaisionally for me. I think my spotify is loving cursed.

IT will do a loving TON of spotify ads though for songs i would never listen to.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Well it suggests that if you're itchy all the time and into motorcycles you have a very deep desire to see some justice in this world because god knows you ain't seen none of it.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Well it suggests that if you're itchy all the time and into motorcycles you have a very deep desire to see some justice in this world because god knows you ain't seen none of it.

that makes sense, thank you

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Sometimes when I need to reboot for an update, my ad block will fail on whatever my first YT video is. I used to get this guy warning you about "the 3 words you should never say to a woman." I would skip ASAP, but assume of course that the piece of poo poo meant, "I love you."

I'm not sure whether my horror or history vids cater to PUAs, but I'm distressed either way.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
For a non-comedy answer there are two concepts that really scare me and those are time and marketing/advertising.

Both of those things reduce me to nothing. Time is worse because it's beyond us and it is regardless of anything we may feel or think about it, but we invented marketing. Why would we do that to ourselves?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Das Boo posted:

Sometimes when I need to reboot for an update, my ad block will fail on whatever my first YT video is. I used to get this guy warning you about "the 3 words you should never say to a woman." I would skip ASAP, but assume of course that the piece of poo poo meant, "I love you."

I'm not sure whether my horror or history vids cater to PUAs, but I'm distressed either way.

its actually "i hate pasta"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Bismuth posted:

its actually "i hate pasta"

Oh gently caress, maybe I shoulda heard him out.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I just keep getting advertised home improvement stores, power tools and Subarus. I don't get it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

syntaxfunction posted:

I just keep getting advertised home improvement stores, power tools and Subarus. I don't get it.

That just means you've spent about 30 years in hell and the algorithm thinks that this is what will torment you the most.

In 100 trillion years it'll be sending you adverts about how even black holes are starting to evaporate and soon everything will be nothing but you'll still be and you experience nothing, forever.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I’ve really been having trouble finding ANY corporate advertisement in the past 6 years that hasn’t included some form of racism. It’s not stuff they’re specifically marketing to racists though, it’s just like this repeated and supposedly commonly accepted, “alright guys so we’re all racist again right?” message repeated over, and over, and over. It’s just like, welp, racism has crept back in as our natural human state, but for some reason it needs to be rehashed with some frequency, despite the “that’s just how it is” message. Id rather see racists struggling than gracefully maneuvering social taboos and seeing civil rights as an inconvenience to social progress. Like no hey pal like 99.99999% of us aren’t racist and we don’t want to believe we just saw some rear end in a top hat cough and say “jew” at someone, but in a sort of muffled and secretive and understated way, we don’t want to believe that black guy just got shamed, but a lot of us got that soda in the fridge right now and their wife is wearing that racist perfume. At least we’re seeing people of color on tv yeah, even if it’s some always always always diminutive role? Everything is always this, well maybe that wasn’t intentional, or something that can be brushed under the rug or forgotten, but it just keeps happening, over and over. People didn’t make the same mistake or have the same naive insensitivity 6000 times in a row. They know the threshold for boycott is like non-existant anymore, it is a zero consequence environment so long as it is defensible, marginalized hate speech. What id like to see is people struggling to act racist for money, and wide sweeping purchase blackouts when it happens, enough to make a noticeable difference in quarterlies. Like we’re allowed to know what people are saying without the “well, technically..” argument, or the “if it came down to it..” argument. Like we know what you said, we know what you implied, we’re allowed to know that.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Whenever I searched for plus size fashion, I usually get wild rear end “FAT BURN JUST EAT RAW CELERY AND IDK ONE POTATO EVERY FORTNIGHT AND YOULL LOOK SEXY AND EMACIATED” adverts

Don’t ask how it goes for when I try and find nice supportive things for ED.

Like I get that making you feel like poo poo is the point but come on now, get a little creative

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I’ve really been having trouble finding ANY corporate advertisement in the past 6 years that hasn’t included some form of racism. It’s not stuff they’re specifically marketing to racists though, it’s just like this repeated and supposedly commonly accepted, “alright guys so we’re all racist again right?” message repeated over, and over, and over. It’s just like, welp, racism has crept back in as our natural human state, but for some reason it needs to be rehashed with some frequency, despite the “that’s just how it is” message. Id rather see racists struggling than gracefully maneuvering social taboos and seeing civil rights as an inconvenience to social progress. Like no hey pal like 99.99999% of us aren’t racist and we don’t want to believe we just saw some rear end in a top hat cough and say “jew” at someone, but in a sort of muffled and secretive and understated way, we don’t want to believe that black guy just got shamed, but a lot of us got that soda in the fridge right now and their wife is wearing that racist perfume. At least we’re seeing people of color on tv yeah, even if it’s some always always always diminutive role? Everything is always this, well maybe that wasn’t intentional, or something that can be brushed under the rug or forgotten, but it just keeps happening, over and over. People didn’t make the same mistake or have the same naive insensitivity 6000 times in a row. They know the threshold for boycott is like non-existant anymore, it is a zero consequence environment so long as it is defensible, marginalized hate speech. What id like to see is people struggling to act racist for money, and wide sweeping purchase blackouts when it happens, enough to make a noticeable difference in quarterlies. Like we’re allowed to know what people are saying without the “well, technically..” argument, or the “if it came down to it..” argument. Like we know what you said, we know what you implied, we’re allowed to know that.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

teen witch posted:

Whenever I searched for plus size fashion, I usually get wild rear end “FAT BURN JUST EAT RAW CELERY AND IDK ONE POTATO EVERY FORTNIGHT AND YOULL LOOK SEXY AND EMACIATED” adverts

Like I get that making you feel like poo poo is the point but come on now, get a little creative

drat girl, that sounds some wack rear end marketing from some strait rear end bitches. But you know what? I got that support for that fat rear end that makes you the woman you are.

Be whatever size or shape you are because you are

Powerful

Real

Woman

At clothesforfatpeople.com

We got you, girl.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

drat girl, that sounds some wack rear end marketing from some strait rear end bitches. But you know what? I got that support for that fat rear end that makes you the woman you are.

Be whatever size or shape you are because you are

Powerful

Real

Woman

At clothesforfatpeople.com

We got you, girl.

god please don’t

marketing to fat women sucks rear end already. I just want “see these clothes for smaller bodies? We have them in bigger bodies.”

I don’t need a thousand euphemisms for fat. let me just dress like a weird occult skank without the term “voluptuous” or “curvy” anywhere near it. go away. don’t make me turn the hose on.

E: I will fully redact this if fat men get the weird pandering wording. Gimme curvy men.

The word voluptuous sounds like something you expel from an orifice

teen witch fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 5, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

teen witch posted:

god please don’t

marketing to fat women sucks rear end already. I just want “see these clothes for smaller bodies? We have them in bigger bodies.”

I don’t need a thousand euphemisms for fat. let me just dress like a weird occult skank without the term “voluptuous” or “curvy” anywhere near it. go away. don’t make me turn the hose on.

E: I will fully redact this if fat men get the weird pandering wording. Gimme curvy men.

Girl, I get it. Lol we get it. You're sick of seeing ads for "fat girls" or whatever. But we're not about that, girl, we're about empowerment and making the most of what you can be

'I'm a lawyer, lol!"

"I'm a doctor, lmao!"

"me? I'm a mom, rotflmao"

"We? We're women. And we're overweight. lmfao"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
god I work with marketing adjacent and I’m feeling the layers of skin detaching from my flesh. Where is the soft, tonal acoustic music and warm bokeh effects???

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

teen witch posted:

god I work with marketing adjacent and I’m feeling the layers of skin detaching from my flesh. Where is the soft, tonal acoustic music and warm bokeh effects???

Girl you're strong, and free and ha ha ha ha ha just winding down the road and ha ha ha jeans and a jacket and you're feeling cold but ha ha ha ha we don't sell a a jacket warm because it would make our models look fat and ha ha ha look how these people look you don't look like that but you could for $5000 dollars ahha ha ha ha ha

$5000 dolllars!

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
MAN YOGURT. DONT BE A GOD drat COWARD. BE A MAN. GURGLE THE YOUGART. YOU DONT WANT YOUR BOSS TO THINK YOUR A SISSY BOY DO YOU? WRAP THE BELT AROUND YOUR NECK AND GURGLE THE MAN YOGURT YOU MACHO MASCULINE MAN. *HARD GUITAR RIFF*

Edit: Kill the patriarchy, Stop all gender

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I can't even really channel marketing directed at men because it's all so horrifying and real that I can't truly inhabit that character because I'd have to kill myself after because it's at once so true and as many times a lie that I can't accept it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

teen witch posted:

teen witch posted:

god please don’t

what is "ED"? the only candidate I have is "erectile dysfunction" and it doesn't fit the context. also google probably now thinks my dick doesn't work, idc though.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It’s mostly like, well you can’t be “it” because you’re not a perfect person, you won’t attain “that” in its full brevity because you’re not.. I would actually like to see a rendering of what the gently caress the ideal person is supposed to be. All we hear is “partial or cheated access, nice try pal but..” type poo poo. Like why don’t they just show us this perfect person instead of saying what’s not it? Who’s the guy who gets the whole loving package without some fundamental human flaw that should deny them their god-self? With all the “humanity is a loving joke just indulge in this poo poo until it’s ultimate end” themes, SHOW US A RENDERING OF THIS GODDAMN IDEAL PERSON ALREADY, like we want to see the reason we can’t all be fully realized adults. If you programmed all the hate parameters into a computer and say “render somebody that is NOT all of these shameful qualities but humanoid”, what would that look like? Probably stupid, pathetic, and lame af by anybody’s standard. Expressing nothing that makes us, us.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Hammerite posted:

what is "ED"? the only candidate I have is "erectile dysfunction" and it doesn't fit the context. also google probably now thinks my dick doesn't work, idc though.

Eating disorder

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

teen witch posted:

Eating disorder

Thanks for clarifying.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

teen witch posted:

Eating disorder

Ha ha ahahaha ahhh ED? Oh you weak worthless weak piece of poo poo with an eating disorder? Why are you so wrong when you could eat so right? Do you even see how happy these people are, you miserable piece of poo poo, you worthless lump of nothing, gently caress you, can't you see how happy they are? And they just, all they did, was have enough to pay for, to be, had enough to be you worthless...

I hate you!

But I'd love you if you bought this. I'd love you. I'd love you so much.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best targeting ad I ever worked on was targeting in and around strip clubs for body hair removal services. Not only was it effective, I got to have a pure double entendre meeting with the client while explaining the strategy that was making them tons of money.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

All I ever seem to get are ads for Geico and Liberty Mutual insurance. I’ve never inquired about insurance since the Internet blew up and have been with the same company for twenty years.

LIBERTY! LIBERTY! LIIIBEEERTYYY! LIIIIIIIIBEEEEERRRRRTTYYYY!! :suicide:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

You Are A Elf posted:

All I ever seem to get are ads for Geico and Liberty Mutual insurance. I’ve never inquired about insurance since the Internet blew up and have been with the same company for twenty years.

LIBERTY! LIBERTY! LIIIBEEERTYYY! LIIIIIIIIBEEEEERRRRRTTYYYY!! :suicide:

Aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha YES!

Ye-hessss!

Freeee you and i are free so rich forever.

Free1 Ahhh freeeee!!

FReeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee1! Me!@ I am I am I am I am iam iazmai kiiamsiaimaiamaimaiamaiakiimamk I cANT STOP sell mne sell me i want i want it wanti wananitanwitmnaitiwnaitqwnwait tgive it to me i wan it5 it to me i want it i want5 give me give me givme fgivem giveme givtit tgivvit plerase please please pleae i need it please im alone pleae i need itp lwane please free i m plase alone free give me givem givm please please i just wan place i want plase im so scareed mplease give me im so scared plaser give me give mgive givem giveme gime memememememememememememeemem i hate it stop stop stop stop

Excuse me some kind of monster inside me was trying to say something. Nonsense. Ignore it. So you say this product can help me? Save me? Stop me from being what I am? I'm interested. Save me, please?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha YES!

Ye-hessss!

Freeee you and i are free so rich forever.

Free1 Ahhh freeeee!!

FReeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee1! Me!@ I am I am I am I am iam iazmai kiiamsiaimaiamaimaiamaiakiimamk I cANT STOP sell mne sell me i want i want it wanti wananitanwitmnaitiwnaitqwnwait tgive it to me i wan it5 it to me i want it i want5 give me give me givme fgivem giveme givtit tgivvit plerase please please pleae i need it please im alone pleae i need itp lwane please free i m plase alone free give me givem givm please please i just wan place i want plase im so scareed mplease give me im so scared plaser give me give mgive givem giveme gime memememememememememememeemem i hate it stop stop stop stop

Excuse me some kind of monster inside me was trying to say something. Nonsense. Ignore it. So you say this product can help me? Save me? Stop me from being what I am? I'm interested. Save me, please?

hey are you feeling okay buddy? your posts are kinda going off the rails this morning

e: oh you got probed for your insane posting. hope you take your meds or come down from your trip or w/e in those 6 hours :)

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 5, 2021

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The only people home during the day when Judge Judy is on are former bikers who were maimed/disabled in a bike accident, hence the motorcycle insurance ads, and people so ridden with psoriasis they don’t leave the house.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Ad sellers give ad buyers the option to only show their ads to a specific demographic -- age range, gender, income range, interests, and so on. The more fine-grained the targeting is when building an ad campaign, the more ad buyers wind up spending because there are other advertisers bidding for eyeballs from that exact same demographic. Alternatively, an ad buyer might want to spend as little as possible to run an ad campaign for reasons that I won't go into here, so they have the option to fill cheap (non-targeted and usually less desirable) ad inventory in order to get as many eyeballs on their ad without spending a lot of dough. Unfortunately, this means that an anorexic person may occasionally get an ad buyer's non-targeted, hyper-aggressive weight loss supplement ad shoved in their face while searching for cats. :capitalism:

Thankfully, ad networks *really* don't like ad campaigns that get lots of views but few clicks. Generally speaking, an ad with a low impression to click ratio will eventually be given less priority down the line when it's time for the ad server to choose an ad within a similar bid range to fill an ad slot, and if an ad continues to not get clicks when displayed past a given threshold, lower bidding ads that haven't had much exposure will be given priority over the existing ads that aren't generating enough clicks when viewed.

So if you are seeing ads that are absolutely barking up the wrong tree, the most likely scenario is usually one of the following:

A) The person trying to make internet money is not targeting a particular audience and you got served their ad because nobody else was willing to pay more to put their own ad there.
B) The service you're using doesn't know enough about you to be able to place you in an accurate group of cohorts, so you're being targeted by error because you were put in the wrong bucket of eyeball havers - using an ad blocker, VPN, and privacy guard extensions can cause this to happen.
C) You or someone using your computer accidentally or curiously clicked on an ad but never actually bought the product being advertised, so the advertiser's retargeting algorithm thinks it can convince you to buy that product or something similar to it if they just keep serving related ads to you.
D) The ad server must decide which ads to display on the page you're viewing in a ridiculously short amount of time, and ad servers are not immune to bugs and the internet is weird.

GRECOROMANGRABASS fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 5, 2021

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

The only people home during the day when Judge Judy is on are former bikers who were maimed/disabled in a bike accident, hence the motorcycle insurance ads, and people so ridden with psoriasis they don’t leave the house.

Wait that sound like the wrong market for the insurance if they've already been in an accident

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Saalkin posted:

Wait that sound like the wrong market for the insurance if they've already been in an accident

It’s usually a mix of motorcycle insurance and attorneys specializing in motorcycle accidents.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

i hope you crack this case OP! good luck! 🙏

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
For years I've gotten nothing but baby care / baby related ads, ads to quit vaping, and sometimes trailers. I am infertile. The ads started showing up immediately after my hospital stay where I found this out.

The best I can come up with is I call my cat "baby" and the ads are dumb. The worst I can come up with is that the ads read my email and misinterpret all the doctors saying "having a baby will kill you" as "Lieutenant Dan obviously has birthed several children". Idgaf about babies but I imagine it'd be incredibly demoralizing to anyone else to be constantly reminded they can't have children literally every 10 minutes.

Twitter thinks I'm a married 40-year-old lesbian with 3 kids who's upper middle class. I'm a 29 year old bisexual man with no kids who lives below the poverty line. :shrug:

oh wait I also get ads for the car I already own.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I looked up Swarovski crytals ONCE to see how expensive an item in a story was supposed to be. I got ads for them for 3 years after. I will never buy your gaudy poo poo crystals, Swarovski.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If you're getting stuff that seems WAY outside your normal tastes, it could be trying to advertise by proxy.
You can get ads designed for you to see and suggest to others.

I get poo poo that i know my partner would be interested in but have nothing to do with me.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I watched a couple (okay like 10) videos on youtube of people getting their necks and backs cracked and it led me to getting ads about drug rehabilitation centers and one that was just a guy saying "TELL JOE BIDEN WE DON'T WANT SOCIALISM IN AMERICA".

After a few weeks of regular viewing I'm back to getting mostly ads for meal box kits and amusement parks.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
every ad or billboard for a motorcycle injury lawyer around me has some variant of “we ride, we understand.” and I lol thinking about a tough outlaw biker feeling invalid/unseen by a poindexter lawyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
MY MODERATE TO SEVERE PLAQUE PSORIASIS